mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

how long should i do cardio?

im gonna start doing more cardio after i throw around the weights for about an hr and a half. how long should i do cardio after lifting to burn fat.

Lelaki Bangunan Seksi LengthyLifter's Avatar
    LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mrdelvecio View Post
    im gonna start doing more cardio after i throw around the weights for about an hr and a half. how long should i do cardio after lifting to burn fat.
    My approach would be however much you require to hit your daily calorie target. There's no hard and fast rule for cardio. Do whatever you're comfortable with. Or eat fewer calories.

mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrdelvecio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LengthyLifter View Post
    My approach would be however much you require to hit your daily calorie target. There's no hard and fast rule for cardio. Do whatever you're comfortable with. Or eat fewer calories.
    i dont count my calories exactly but i get a pretty good idea of how much i take in. ive heard a lot of people say that you wanna do cardio for atleast 30 min for it to do a lot for you, but i was thinking of doing about 20min since ill have already been liftiing before that. do you think thats a good way to go?

youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yeah bro 20min is perfect. exactly what i do. i alternate with some days 20min stationary cycling and 20min HIIT intervals on the treadmill (1min sprint/2min walk/1min sprint....) on a little incline. its done wonders for me. cardio is always a good idea no matter if your on a cut or bulk, as long as nutrition is in check. the simple "150 calories burned = eating 150 less calories" is incorrect. imo. deffinately aids with fat loss no doubt about it.

Originally Posted by youjustmight View Post
    yeah bro 20min is perfect. exactly what i do. i alternate with some days 20min stationary cycling and 20min HIIT intervals on the treadmill (1min sprint/2min walk/1min sprint....) on a little incline. its done wonders for me. cardio is always a good idea no matter if your on a cut or bulk, as long as nutrition is in check. the simple "150 calories burned = eating 150 less calories" is incorrect. imo. deffinately aids with fat loss no doubt about it.
    yeah im with you, i dont buy the calorie stuff either. i cant run right now because my foots messed up but i was thinking about doing the bike and eliptical or something. maybe 10 min of each one a day or 20min of a different one every day i havnt decided which way im gonna go yet.

Avesta777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've recently started a cardio programme over the past few weeks. Each week I increase the time I allow for it by 5 minutes. So, starting at 20 min, I'm increasing this by 5 minutes every week. This I do 3 times per week (at the moment). In intend to escalate this to maybe 45 minutes and reassess my goals at that point.

Doing cardio this way allows my body to feel that extra stress each week, stimulating fat loss. It's worked great so far.

What I've yet find out more about is the effect of cardio after lifting weights. I intend to do this at some point in the near future (I do my cardio on the days I don't lift, at the moment).

I tend to limit my lifting to 1 hour sessions. Everybody is different I suppose, but with me, I've found that I just don't grow if I smash the weights beyond the 1 hour mark.

youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youjustmight has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yeah i might start what this guy above is doing. still got to lose a bit. HIIT could be done on the eliptical too, just start off slow and build up. no rush. even if its 15min, cause the eliptical is quite alot harder i find.

i actually like the machines because i can keep an eye on my heart beat i try to stay around 150-160 i noticed thats when im pushing hard. i hate running on a treadmill though. i was thinking of stepping up the time i run i just dont wanna do cardio for too long and lose muscle.

Avesta777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i actually like the machines because i can keep an eye on my heart beat i try to stay around 150-160 i noticed thats when im pushing hard. i hate running on a treadmill though. i was thinking of stepping up the time i run i just dont wanna do cardio for too long and lose muscle.
    True, monitoring heart rate is pretty important. I take the view that the longer your cardio sessions are, the lower your heart rate must be at in order to preserve lean muscle. My own estimates over the next 2-3 weeks for my cardio routine will have me at 45 minutes , with my heart rate in the 130's.

I believe you can have long cardio sessions (for example, 1 hour) and not burn muscle. The key is in how intense these sessions are.

this ^

vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vabyss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    An hour and a half is a long lifting session. If you are wanting your muscles to grow, you will want to get a post-workout meal in between that and the cardio.

If your goal is simply to cut, run as long as you like.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vabyss View Post
    An hour and a half is a long lifting session. If you are wanting your muscles to grow, you will want to get a post-workout meal in between that and the cardio.

This makes no sense.

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I see. So people who do Intermittent Fasting and train never "grow any muscle"?

Please go with your limited knowledge.
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

what hahaha i thought you dont want to eat for atleast an hr and a half before you run

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What are you doing that takes an hour and half?
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000) KarmicEffects is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are doing it after lift sessions, I'd say 20 minutes tops and stick with a brisk walk/light jog because 1:30 is a long lift session, TOO MUCH in my opinion unless you are doing full body...If you are on an off-day, 45-1 hour is usually a good time to keep your body away from cata~ Personally I prefer mixing HIIT/straight runs but it depends on what you are going for, strength/max calorie burn? (HIIT) or endurance/slightly less calorie burn? (Steady pace) I would do both just to keep your body guessing.
    Started @ 2009 - 335 LBS & 37% BF
    Now @ 2014 - 210 LBS & 11% BF

"Get what you like so you're not stuck having to like what you get."
    "Ghime? What's a ghime?" *Homer walks into the gym* "Oh, haha...a GHIME."

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Till your wife finishes body jam...... that is the correct answer don't let these guys tell you any different.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Originally Posted by Electricheadd View Post
    What are you doing that takes an hour and half?
    5 min warmup run

2 body parts 3 exercises for each

3 sets of abs

Originally Posted by KarmicEffects View Post
    If you are doing it after lift sessions, I'd say 20 minutes tops and stick with a brisk walk/light jog because 1:30 is a long lift session, TOO MUCH in my opinion unless you are doing full body...If you are on an off-day, 45-1 hour is usually a good time to keep your body away from cata~ Personally I prefer mixing HIIT/straight runs but it depends on what you are going for, strength/max calorie burn? (HIIT) or endurance/slightly less calorie burn? (Steady pace) I would do both just to keep your body guessing.
    i dont care about strength, i just want to pack on muscle and trim up. my goal is to drop about 30lbs of fat along the way

5 min warmup run

3 sets of abs
    That sounds like a very long work out, how many working sets are doing doing per exercise?
    My Reverse Diet Log

Originally Posted by Electricheadd View Post
    That sounds like a very long work out, how many working sets are doing doing per exercise?
    i think its pretty standard its only 6 exercises plus a little abs.

i do 3 sets for each exercise

i think its pretty standard its only 6 exercises plus a little abs.

i do 3 sets for each exercise
    Perhaps you should consider increasing your intensity a bit.

21 sets X 2 min of rest = 42 minutes If you are taking an hour and 45 minutes I would suggest your taking too long between sets.

That said, 20-30 minutes of cardio is a good place to start but you should be able to complete the entire workout in 60-75 minutes with cardio. I would not suggest 2.5 hour workouts, that is a recipe for long term failure.
    My Reverse Diet Log

I can usually knock it out in about 2hrs. there's a lot of action at my gym so sometimes it's hard to get to the weights. doesn't help that those bastards never put them back either hahaha

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    20 minutes of moderate intensity cardio provides a really nice "runner's high."

Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50) Trini_Boi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LengthyLifter View Post
    I agree. I do 45 minutes personally but my calorie deficit is almost -2000 below my maintenance right now so that may be a bit too little for most but my body responds well to it. I would recommend doing cardio at least 5 days a week for at least 30 min if your weight loss goal is urgent.
    advertising not permitted

VANCOUVER CANUCKS FUK YEA MAGnitude's Avatar
    MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000) MAGnitude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Trini_Boi View Post
    I agree. I do 45 minutes personally but my calorie deficit is almost -2000 below my maintenance right now so that may be a bit too little for most but my body responds well to it. I would recommend doing cardio at least 5 days a week for at least 30 min if your weight loss goal is urgent.
    geez, are u eating lettuce and the odd piece of diced ham for your day. up ur cals man
    RIP- LUC BOURDON

GO THE CANUCKS, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonsina has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ikmal91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Guys....don't cardio after vigorous lifting like....eats up your muscles instead? I think I read this somewhere. Things like....valuable calories for your muscles that you burn for cardio or something. Or is that bulking?

miknau1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5 min warmup run

3 sets of abs
    Are you taking a lot of rest in between your sets?

I do 6 sets of abs, 2 body parts with 5 exercises each and that's around an 1 hour, maybe 1 hr 15min.

A better way to increase the fat burn would be to keep your heart rate up during your lifting sessions as well. Then your cardio would further supplement that.

I'll end by saying this: everyone is different but this works for me. I've been doing it for 2 weeks now and I like the results.