Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100)
    The nature of this discussion assumes we are talking about Christianity and that Christianity is true at least for the sake of argument. If that is the case, the Christian religion tells us often that their god is superior in all measures to any human being that has ever lived. He's infinitely smart and he knows everything, past present and future.

If we assume for a minute that it's true, wouldn't it make sense to follow that hypothetical supreme being's version of "justice?" Wouldn't that make a lot more sense than each individual person trying to figure out their own version of "justice?" Wouldn't this hypothetical supreme being probably know some things they don't know, possibly about the long term implications of certain people or behavior, that may actually make what he says or does just without us understanding how or why?

Think of it this way - let's say the year is 1901. Young Adolf Hitler, then 12 years old, is a relatively good if not somewhat uncooperative boy and he's about to run off to school. SUDDENLY, the clouds open up and, HOLY DOGSH*T, it's GAWD! That's right, God opens up the clouds in front of everybody and points a giant magic wand at little Adolf. He says "You know what Hitler, I know what you're going to do and I don't like it, so F*CK YOUR SH*T," and then shoots a kamehameha out of his magic wand, annihilating little Adolf to ash.

Everybody would do the obvious - piss and moan about how unfair and cruel that was. Little would they know, back in 1901, that Adolf Hitler would grow up to be... well, Hitler!

With that in mind, let's pretend God is hypothetically omnipotent and omniscient and has our best interests in mind - if he knows everything that's ever happened, is happening right now and is ever going to happen, wouldn't he be in a pretty good position to make judgment calls for our benefit, whether or not we agree with them? If our dad tells us to drop what we're doing and get in the car, and then proceeds to drive all day and all night almost without stopping until we're almost a thousand miles from our current location, is he unjust or crazy if we feel the distant aftershocks of a nuclear bomb rattle our beds as we're going to sleep on the second night?

This is all just hypothetical, but I think it's something people need to think about. I'm just playing devil's advocate here anyway.

TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by outlikeatrout View Post
    You just typed 158 words that could have been spent making a logical argument in support of your position...but instead you spent all that time composing the above post which basically says "I think my opinion is right".

This is really weak, shredder.

You have so far failed to back up your burden of proof.
    You're skirting the issue.

1. In order for Christianity to be true, Jesus must be demonstrated to be the Jewish Messiah.

You agreed to this.

Originally Posted by outlikeatrout
    k, but now you have predicated the Christian God not existing on Jesus failing to meet the criteria for the Jewish Messiah
    2. The material I posted demonstrates that Jesus is not the Jewish Messiah.

If you bother with reading it, that is. That I did not give you a book report on the material does not make it any less true. If this is your argument, we might as well stop now because eventually, you're going to rely on something someone else has said to make a point and I'll respond by saying, 'in your own words, please'.

3. Christianity is false.

See above.

This isn't opinion. This is fact. The logical aspects of the argument don't go beyond that.
    ignore list: MuscleXtreme

”The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.”

–Henry Rollins

outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Godfrd824 View Post
    My faith is stronger than that of a mustard seed indeed, and as for your second part, I see that as the biggest cop out ever. But I digress, I don't think I'm tempting him, I'm just asking for a confirmation of his existence.
    That's between you and God bro, good luck and God bless!
    There is no contradiction against God: GodandLogic.com

outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500) outlikeatrout is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TH3SHR3DD3R View Post

1. In order for Christianity to be true, Jesus must be demonstrated to be the Jewish Messiah.

You agreed to this.
    Actually, if you'll check, you'll see that I said "you've predicated your argument on this". I didn't agree to anything. Let's be precise here.

No it doesn't. References on the internet prove otherwise...(lol see how my joke statement holds as much water as your serious assertion here?)

If you bother with reading it, that is. That I did not give you a book report on the material does not make it any less true. If this is your argument, we might as well stop now because eventually, you're going to rely on something someone else has said to make a point and I'll respond by saying, 'in your own words, please'.

See above.

This isn't opinion. This is fact. The logical aspects of the argument don't go beyond that.
    There is no contradiction against God: GodandLogic.com

Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000)

You agreed to this.

See above.

dude, might i suggest reading some scriptural analysis? you seriously have no clue about interpretation whatsoever.

i know it boosts your ego to be able to say something cutting like 'i can prove christianity is false,' but if you remain woefully ignorant of actual scholarship, nobody in the academic community will ever take you seriously.

burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm just waiting on TH3SHR3DD3R to show how he knows that God does not exist...
    [Official] San Diego Brah

Ducks eat for free at Subway

Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000) Zigrakil is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by burnedfish View Post
    he posts a bunch of stuff about biblical prophecy (as if there is some tried and true way to interpret prophecy--something he doesn't believe exists) and compares it in the most bizarrely reaching way to the life of jesus.

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    the emperor of humanity is just. even from within his stasis-field, he continues to battle the forces of Chaos through his psychic connection to the warp.

even when his most trusted primarch, Horus betrayed him, The Emperor gave him plenty of chances to repent and make good his treachery. when Horus' followers waged war against humanity, The Emperor sought to cleanse them of their affiliation with the dark gods of Chaos.

The Emperor knows full well that there is potential that the gods of Chaos could contaminate the human population of the galaxy, and that it is our choice to do so, but still! He does not punish us for having this choice! He will simply kill us, or send His troops if we betray Him as Horus once did...How the Emperor is merciful! a swift death at the hands of the forces of The Emperor is preferable to an eternity in the clutches of Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh or Khorne!

If you disagree, you simply do not understand the forces at work!

FOR THE EMPEROR!!
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    cause and effect + reincarnation = a just system

Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
    I wasn't going for either insightful or content-rich. While I always appreciate applause, you're not answering my question again. Can you please provided an example of god being just?
    Please define what you mean by just.

Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000) Marc1Mirza1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll give you an example of how I see it. Lets say a guy kills somebody in cold blood. Shortly after the murder, he's overcome with remorse drops to his knees and begs god for forgiveness. In god's system of justice, all is forgiven and the matter dropped. I fail to see the justice in that.
    We all deserve to die as we have broken his moral law. It's just that he has made a way for us out of the "fugitive" status, for those that will accept it.

Cool, you're one of those atheists who states that God doesn't exist.

Care to back up that burden of proof you just created?

(Didn't think so.)
    Nice. LOL.

Originally Posted by lucious View Post
    I think the more pertinent question is why does the creator of the universe have bipolar disorder and PMS?
    Care to explain?

I don't get it.
    Does the OP believe God exists in the first place?

TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TH3SHR3DD3R is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Zigrakil View Post
    dude, might i suggest reading some scriptural analysis? you seriously have no clue about interpretation whatsoever.

i know it boosts your ego to be able to say something cutting like 'i can prove christianity is false,' but if you remain woefully ignorant of actual scholarship, nobody in the academic community will ever take you seriously.
    Just out of curiosity, if the Christian God is real, and has revealed itself to humanity, why the confusion? One would think that such a being would make itself painfully clear, and yet we have literally hundreds of denominations of Christianity, thousands of religions, and no two people can agree on every aspect of God. This being has laid out a set of rules for us, and yet it can't even make itself known, let alone provide us with consistent rules for existence. We have no original copy of the New Testament, so barring that, we have 'interpretation' - and who are we to say which interpretations are correct or not? How are we to accurately judge if someone is being spoken to by God or not? After all, lacking an original copy of the New Testament, we cannot accurately define the correct understanding and, much like how the early Christians used the ruse of 'hidden meanings' to deceive their followers, we can merely claim that God is reaching out to us across space and time to tell us, hey, it has changed its mind, and what it was saying all along is finally being revealed to this random individual.

Instead, we have 'academics' who squabble over original Greek or Latin meanings; this purportedly all-knowing being didn't know ahead of time that its message was going to get screwed up and everyone save these 'academics' were going to be getting the wrong books at the start of class?

”The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black.”

–Henry Rollins

he posts a bunch of stuff about biblical prophecy (as if there is some tried and true way to interpret prophecy--something he doesn't believe exists) and compares it in the most bizarrely reaching way to the life of jesus.
    So which parts of the Bible am I to take literally? How is God itself not symbolic when the literature dedicated to it is? If the Bible is nothing more than an attempt at explaining the human condition, how is what I'm saying wrong? If we are to suggest that merely having an idea makes that idea true, then all religions, all ideas, all fleeting fantasies are true, because they present a possibility. Is this how we are to categorize reality? 'I think, therefore it is true, regardless of what the evidence says otherwise'?

–Henry Rollins

I'm waiting for you to show where I said that, because I was referring to the Christian God. Its non-existence has been demonstrated; it doesn't mean there isn't ANY god. Just the Christian one.

–Henry Rollins

Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Jesus was not a prophet. Prophecy can only exist in Israel when the land is inhabited by a majority of world Jewry. During the time of Ezra (circa 300 BCE), when the majority of Jews refused to move from Babylon to Israel, prophecy ended upon the death of the last prophets -- Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi.
    Jesus appeared on the scene approximately 350 years after prophecy had ended.
    Interesting...brb, Moses was not a prophet.

Any particular reasoning for this belief? Certainly not in the torah, which random rabbi was this from?

AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AlphaMusician is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't get it.
    Because that's the way it is.

(your short question deserved a short answer)

Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    Interesting...brb, Moses was not a prophet.

Any particular reasoning for this belief? Certainly not in the torah, which random rabbi was this from?
    The author appears to be making a distinction between an Israel consisting of physical land and the Children of Israel, a people without physical land to call their own.

–Henry Rollins

Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000) Scoundrel is just really nice. (+1000)
    The author appears to be making a distinction between an Israel consisting of physical land and the Children of Israel, a people without physical land to call their own.
    for a few reasons I think this one should be tossed out.

1. 'in Israel when the land', seems to be making the disiinction that its talking about a place.

2. Absolutely no scriptural basis for this in the torah, and imo the opposite is apparent.

3. the life of the prophet Abraham alone dismisses this claim. Wherever he was, he was the minority. moses never made it to the land, jacob was a prophet captive in Egypt, Daniel was a prophet captive in babylon, etc

Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
    for a few reasons I think this one should be tossed out.

1. 'in Israel when the land', seems to be making the disiinction that its talking about a place.

2. Absolutely no scriptural basis for this in the torah, and imo the opposite is apparent.

3. the life of the prophet Abraham alone dismisses this claim. Wherever he was, he was the minority. moses never made it to the land, Daniel was a prophet captive in Babylon, etc.
    Isn't that all what the author is saying, though? Sure, Moses was a prophet, THE prophet even, but having never made it to the land, that would have excluded him from making any prophecy in Israel. That's what the author seems to be saying to me anyway. I don't see anything in there about Moses making prophecy in Israel.

–Henry Rollins

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cool, you're one of those atheists who states that God doesn't exist.

Care to back up that burden of proof you just created?

(Didn't think so.)

ah, youre one of those people who claims that The Emperor of Humanity isnt fighting the dark gods of chaos?

care to back up that burden of proof? after all, the saga of The Emperor is written in the Lexicanum for all to see. do you dispute the truth in these holy texts?
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) burnedfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Especially since God doesn't exist. Whew.
    I'm waiting for you to show where I said that, because I was referring to the Christian God. Its non-existence has been demonstrated; it doesn't mean there isn't ANY god. Just the Christian one.
    There ya go

How come you still won't back up the burden of proof, and answer outlikeatrout?

Just out of curiosity, if the Christian God is real, and has revealed itself to humanity, why the confusion? One would think that such a being would make itself painfully clear, and yet we have literally hundreds of denominations of Christianity, thousands of religions, and no two people can agree on every aspect of God. This being has laid out a set of rules for us, and yet it can't even make itself known, let alone provide us with consistent rules for existence. We have no original copy of the New Testament, so barring that, we have 'interpretation' - and who are we to say which interpretations are correct or not? How are we to accurately judge if someone is being spoken to by God or not? After all, lacking an original copy of the New Testament, we cannot accurately define the correct understanding and, much like how the early Christians used the ruse of 'hidden meanings' to deceive their followers, we can merely claim that God is reaching out to us across space and time to tell us, hey, it has changed its mind, and what it was saying all along is finally being revealed to this random individual.

Instead, we have 'academics' who squabble over original Greek or Latin meanings; this purportedly all-knowing being didn't know ahead of time that its message was going to get screwed up and everyone save these 'academics' were going to be getting the wrong books at the start of class?
    there's so much wrong with this i don't even know how to begin. firstly, anything connected to human beings is necessarily fallible, even if god himself communicated it to them. it's just part of the package. people are psychologically prone to twisting things to suit their own meaning. that's why we have academic circles that encourage debate and use of logical argumentation, rather than emotional appeals. the books of the bible which were accepted were not accepted arbitrarily. they were chosen based on criteria designed to exclude those that we too esoteric to be meaningful, too new to have anything to do with jesus, and too isolated to really have any resonance with the faithful. a central tenet of all christians (and jesus) is that the holy spirit works through christians, and, as such, a gnostic gospel rejected by the vast majority of the christian community couldn't be a reasonable candidate for the bible because it was rejected by people all over the world.

continue thinking martyrs were trying to control people though; whatever floats your boat.
    So which parts of the Bible am I to take literally? How is God itself not symbolic when the literature dedicated to it is? If the Bible is nothing more than an attempt at explaining the human condition, how is what I'm saying wrong? If we are to suggest that merely having an idea makes that idea true, then all religions, all ideas, all fleeting fantasies are true, because they present a possibility. Is this how we are to categorize reality? 'I think, therefore it is true, regardless of what the evidence says otherwise'?
    take a literary criticism course. stylistic cues and commonalities with contemporary literature help to demarcate which parts of the bible are allegory, parable, historical narrative and the like. the historical critical method has never been about suggesting ideas out of nothing and thereby considering them to be true. the idea is to frame books within the historical matrix that they were composed in, and to understand that the bible is a highly social and extremely diverse text. most christians reject 'literal innerancy' in favour of spiritual innerancy because of this reason, namely, that the bible was never intended as a physics or history textbook, but as a historically based chronology of the jewish religious experience. conversely, the new testament styles itself as a historical account of the doings of jesus and his followers. we can locate parts therein which are metaphor by analyzing style: for example, revelation contains sweeping imagery characteristic of eschatological literature of the era. christians claim that the bible is divinely inspired. this is different from the claim that the bible is the untouched word of God whispered in some prophet's ear (that's more of a Qu'ranic claim).

i think you should check out "the church the apostles left behind" by raymond brown. it's written by an academic who rejects a lot of conservative biblical scholarship, so, as an atheist, i think you'll appreciate it as an honest historical study.

Location: From Anywhere He Darn Well Pleases, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jimbob007 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    God is totally just-just a made up figure that does not exist in reality. If he did, then from the old testament, he would just be a total scumbag.
    AP5 Crew

there's so much wrong with this i don't even know how to begin. firstly, anything connected to human beings is necessarily fallible, even if god himself communicated it to them. it's just part of the package. people are psychologically prone to twisting things to suit their own meaning. that's why we have academic circles that encourage debate and use of logical argumentation, rather than emotional appeals. the books of the bible which were accepted were not accepted arbitrarily. they were chosen based on criteria designed to exclude those that we too esoteric to be meaningful, too new to have anything to do with jesus, and too isolated to really have any resonance with the faithful. a central tenet of all christians (and jesus) is that the holy spirit works through christians, and, as such, a gnostic gospel rejected by the vast majority of the christian community couldn't be a reasonable candidate for the bible because it was rejected by people all over the world.

continue thinking martyrs were trying to control people though; whatever floats your boat.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but basically what you're saying is:

1. People are bound to get it wrong

2. Unless they're Catholic

2A. And only if they meet your criteria for being Catholic

Originally Posted by Zigrakil
    take a literary criticism course. stylistic cues and commonalities with contemporary literature help to demarcate which parts of the bible are allegory, parable, historical narrative and the like. the historical critical method has never been about suggesting ideas out of nothing and thereby considering them to be true. the idea is to frame books within the historical matrix that they were composed in, and to understand that the bible is a highly social and extremely diverse text. most christians reject 'literal innerancy' in favour of spiritual innerancy because of this reason, namely, that the bible was never intended as a physics or history textbook, but as a historically based chronology of the jewish religious experience. conversely, the new testament styles itself as a historical account of the doings of jesus and his followers. we can locate parts therein which are metaphor by analyzing style: for example, revelation contains sweeping imagery characteristic of eschatological literature of the era. christians claim that the bible is divinely inspired. this is different from the claim that the bible is the untouched word of God whispered in some prophet's ear (that's more of a Qu'ranic claim).

i think you should check out "the church the apostles left behind" by raymond brown. it's written by an academic who rejects a lot of conservative biblical scholarship, so, as an atheist, i think you'll appreciate it as an honest historical study.
    I'll certainly check out that book. I truly enjoy reading about early Christianities. But you need to understand that, logically, divine 'inspiration' means nothing because we have no way of measuring the qualities of any god. At best we are speculating. This is why even the Christians that are far-removed from whatever is found to be the original teachings of Jesus Christ and the early are just as likely to get it right as you and those early Christians are. They can simply claim 'divine inspiration' and be heralded as the true mediators of God's word.

–Henry Rollins

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but basically what you're saying is:

1. People are bound to get it wrong

2. Unless they're Catholic

2A. And only if they meet your criteria for being Catholic
    catholicism was more or less the only denomination when the gospels were being chosen. everyone was a catholic, since catholic just means universal.

I'll certainly check out that book. I truly enjoy reading about early Christianities. But you need to understand that, logically, divine 'inspiration' means nothing because we have no way of measuring the qualities of any god. At best we are speculating. This is why even the Christians that are far-removed from whatever is found to be the original teachings of Jesus Christ and the early are just as likely to get it right as you and those early Christians are. They can simply claim 'divine inspiration' and be heralded as the true mediators of God's word.
    the books of the bible were chosen in such a fashion that corresponds to historical rigor. since jesus strongly asserts (along with the disciples) that the holy spirit actually acts in communion with the congregation. hence, widespread agreement on matters of doctrine amongst the faithful is considered to be divinely inspired on the basis of that being what jesus said. the original teachings of jesus are self-evidently the basis of christianity. that's not really a question open to debate.

Originally Posted by jimbob007 View Post
    God is totally just-just a made up figure that does not exist in reality. If he did, then from the old testament, he would just be a total scumbag.
    How do you know he is made up?

Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Godfrd824 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How do you know he is made up?
    Because there's no proof of him, and if we're gonna believe in things that have absolutely no objective validity in them, then why not just believe in pink unicorns that are also invisible and reside in your toilet?
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.