Facing the wind Thomas.of.Hunter's Avatar
    Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Knees and ankles hurt wile/after running

If I run more than 1.5 miles my knees and ankles start hurting, and then hurt for a few days after. I got some asic running shoes, but they didn't help much. I have pretty flat feet. Maybe I need more padding?
    Nothing posted by this account should be taken seriously. It's all for the lulz.

SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Thomas.of.Hunter View Post
    If I run more than 1.5 miles my knees and ankles start hurting, and then hurt for a few days after. I got some asic running shoes, but they didn't help much. I have pretty flat feet. Maybe I need more padding?
    Where are you running? street, treadmill, or track?

Are you just starting to run after a long layoff?

If you are running for some sort of fat loss or fitness... I suggest cutting your running to 400-800 yards (0.25-0.50 miles), and then just walk (10-30 minutes). You joints will slowly adjust to the stress.

Has anyone paid attention to your running form? As for the ankles... they might be tight and lack conditioning, work on stretching them more often.

I'm not familiar with flat fleet, so maybe others can chime in about the insoles (dr scholls) and other personalized stuff to help deal with that.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160258891

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    How old are your shoes? (When I used to run, I had to switch out the shoes every three months or so, but then I was averaging 70 miles per week.)

It may be too that you just have the wrong pair of shoes for your feet. It may take a while to find the "right" shoe.

You may also need some sort of arch support or orthotic.

zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zephkill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ouch!~

Facing the wind Thomas.of.Hunter's Avatar
    Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas.of.Hunter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SCJuggernaut View Post
    Where are you running? street, treadmill, or track?

Are you just starting to run after a long layoff?

If you are running for some sort of fat loss or fitness... I suggest cutting your running to 400-800 yards (0.25-0.50 miles), and then just walk (10-30 minutes). You joints will slowly adjust to the stress.

Has anyone paid attention to your running form? As for the ankles... they might be tight and lack conditioning, work on stretching them more often.

I'm not familiar with flat fleet, so maybe others can chime in about the insoles (dr scholls) and other personalized stuff to help deal with that.
    Running on an asphalt bike trail. Not really a layoff, but I had been only running about a mile, and each time that my knees have started hurting it has been when I tried to run 1.5 miles or more.

What would someone look for in my running form?

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    How old are your shoes? (When I used to run, I had to switch out the shoes every three months or so, but then I was averaging 70 miles per week.)

It may be too that you just have the wrong pair of shoes for your feet. It may take a while to find the "right" shoe.

You may also need some sort of arch support or orthotic.
    My shoes are pretty new (I bought them after the first time my knees started hurting), bought them 2 weeks ago. Should I go to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes?
    Nothing posted by this account should be taken seriously. It's all for the lulz.

SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50) SCJuggernaut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Running on an asphalt bike trail. Not really a layoff, but I had been only running about a mile, and each time that my knees have started hurting it has been when I tried to run 1.5 miles or more.

What would someone look for in my running form?
    I was wondering if it was a long layoff because at your weight and height, it would seem that you wouldn't have issues with 1-2 miles. I guess I should have asked if you were a beginner to running... or had a sedentary lifestyle.

If you are okay with only 1 mile... I would suggest to just stick with that and walk the rest. Over time you could slowly increase the length you are running. You never answered what was your goal? why are you running?

I'm no expert in running mechanics... but some things could be wrong.
    - If you were sedentary... your hips, hamstrings may be too tight... you maybe have bad posture. Maybe your stride is too short and you keep applying too much pressure on your knees. When you run, do you feel soreness in your hips, hamstring, glutes? or just quads, knees, and ankles?

There is still lots of information missing to properly help you out... IMO.

As for shoes and your flat feet... maybe a simple fix such as arch support (like previously mentioned) could be the solution. But I have no idea (I'm not confident to give advice on it.).
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160258891

dkx96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Read the book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

If you listen to it it will probably help, if not it's pretty inspirational anyway