LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LukeMcD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Bench press - where should the bar touch? [REPS]

Where should the bar touch on the bench press? I've heard mixed opinions - some saying closer to the neck, on the line of the nipple or below the chest.

If someone could mspaint a red line across this image to show where the bar should touch at the bottom of the rep it would be much appreciated:

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135503371

FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FueledByYelyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    An inch from the chest, or the chest itself is what I usually do

skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skinsfan15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Draw a imaginary line from nipple to nipple. That's where the bar should come down.
    CL Orange Triad Multivitamin
    CL Orange Oximega Fish Oil
    ON Gold Standard 100% Whey
    Optimum Nutrition Creatine
    Cellucor C4 Extreme

-If you want things you've never had, you must do things you've never done.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LukeMcD View Post
    I've heard mixed opinions - some saying closer to the neck
    just wondering... who says this?
    i'm hungry

LulzYeah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does it matter much on where does the bar touches? Does it affect the whole chest growth or does it work other parts of chest more?

I Am A Registered User alexbowley247's Avatar
    alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bottom of sternum for me, less shoulder grief and I can actually touch my chest, just remember to bring your shoulders back and pinch them together

For building a chest though, providing your shoulders aren't jewed, then nipple line. I feel it engages my chest more, but not worth the shoulder pain.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bringing the bar lower to the nipples brings in the powerful lower pec muscles and involves a heap of anterior delt, this is a good way to go.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

StupidK4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StupidK4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StupidK4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) StupidK4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I prefer right under the nips with a wide base and slightly arched back.

JrFive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it more so depends what area of the chest you want to be targeting more. If Incline Have it right at the top of your chest. Decline under your chest and flat would be right in the center to target both muscles.

Also I don't mean to derail this thread but What about the arm/hand position.
    Just to clarify. The wider the grip the more chest/Shoulders correct? and the closer the grip
    the more tricep and chest? Also the positon of the arm I always though it should almost aligned with the shoulder

Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500) Labello is not very helpful. (-500)
    depends what your goal is ...maximum contraction (for chest) or maximum weight.

LulzYeah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LulzYeah View Post
    Does it matter much on where does the bar touches? Does it affect the whole chest growth or does it work other parts of chest more?
    Bump on that question.

UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by skinsfan15 View Post
    Draw a imaginary line from nipple to nipple. That's where the bar should come down.
    This exactly. Don't be bringing it down to your neck or anything. That could be one hell of an injury/death.

BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Tuck elbows, bring bar to nipples or just below, touch chest.