Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by theriftable View Post
    you fail.
    He is actually correct, the most accurate method for calculating BMR is the Katch-Mcardle formula and it has nothing to do with height. The less accurate formula (Harris Benedict) uses height and weight. So in terms of failing you are on top by merely including one component of the less accurate formula.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Electricheadd View Post
    He is actually correct, the most accurate method for calculating BMR is the Katch-Mcardle formula and it has nothing to do with height. The less accurate formula (Harris Benedict) uses height and weight. So in terms of failing you are on top by merely including one component of the less accurate formula.
    Yes, but you need a BF% to use that formula and BF% is affected by height in the same way I noted in the previous post.

So while the measurement of your height does is not in the Katch-Mcardle formula, the mass of bones and organs that you have because of your height does and is compensated for in the formula.

I agree though that height is a much lesser metric than weight or BF% but it is a factor indirectly or directly depending on the formula used.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MCrow View Post
    Yes, but you need a BF% to use that formula and BF% is affected by height in the same way I noted in the previous post.

So while the measurement of your height does is not in the Katch-Mcardle formula, the mass of bones and organs that you have because of your height does and is compensated for in the formula.

I agree though that height is a much lesser metric than weight or BF% but it is a factor indirectly or directly depending on the formula used.
    Agreed height is certainly a function of LBM. I was more pointing out it was unnecessary to point out any ones failing when they only included a portion of the less accurate formula.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    having trouble knowing my weightloss since my weight varies through out the day. But think i may have lost 1-3 lbs.

rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rjones416 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    do you guys ever worry about losing mass on such big deficits?

bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluechips will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rjones416 View Post
    i want to keep as much muscle as possible. I feel for now 2500 calories a day is about right nto too big of a deficit.What u think?

If you have a moderate deficit with adequate protein and a solid lifting routine there is no point in worrying. There is nothing you can do beyond that. Assuming you do those things its highly unlikely you will lose muscle mass.
    My Reverse Diet Log

Update been sticking to the 2500 calories a day for about a month now. Went from 272 to 261 just started lifting again this week. Can notice a different in fat loss it seems. I havent watched my macors closely but i doubt there too far off i have been eating alot of foods high in protein and getting carbs and fat

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bluechips View Post

Update been sticking to the 2500 calories a day for about a month now. Went from 272 to 261
    Perfect. *Do it again!

At first it doesn't seem that you are getting anywhere, but as the weight loss continues each 10 pound loss gets more and more noticeable. *Consistency and Patience...that is the real key.

Good Luck.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

OP is probably a phaggot yepimonfire's Avatar
    yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    At your weight, you could likely tolerate 2000 calories or less per day, even with a fairly active lifestyle. Contrary to popular belief, the MORE fat you have, the higher the deficit you can tolerate. Fat isn't very metabolically active. I'm not saying 2500 is too high - you could likely cut there just fine - just correcting your logic.

The title of your thread asks the wrong question imo.
    yup, when i was 30% BF i ran a big deficit and lost about 5lbs a week with absolutely no problems.

yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500) yepimonfire is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    cut at 33 cals per LB of fat and you won't lose LBM. even if you do lose LBM, you will quickly regain it in less then a month coming out of dieting.

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    Perfect. *Do it again!

At first it doesn't seem that you are getting anywhere, but as the weight loss continues each 10 pound loss gets more and more noticeable. *Consistency and Patience...that is the real key.

Good Luck.
    Thanks alot ya i already feel a little better physically. Now its time for me to start making sure i really get some good lifting in whilekeeping at my deficit. I felt great after my lift yesterday real sore today as to be expected since its been a while feels great to have that sorness back. But thanks im glad i finally found somethign that works for me. And im drinking a ton of water everyday seems to help curb my hunger alot.

Any tips on how i can avoid loose skin from lossing weight?

not much you can do, just wait it out, you'll either have it or not, couple bulk cuts should take care of it though unless its severe.

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maintain as much muscle mass as possible. #1 key to mitigating loose skin.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Slow and steady weight loss through calorie control, not starvation. *Good nutrition. *Heavy lifting. *Consistency and Patience. Good Genetics. *Read this:*http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    Slow and steady weight loss through calorie control, not starvation. *Good nutrition. *Heavy lifting. *Consistency and Patience. Good Genetics. *Read this:*http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm
    I read it all im eating at my resting metabolic rate which is 2515 calories so thats good. Im beginning to lift again. I feel im eating healthy to get to my calories each day id say things im eating are ground beef some form of bread chicken tuna mayo a cup or 2 of milk tomatoes whey protein once in a while ill have hot dogs or frozen pizza but still fit it in the 2500 i also eat peanut butter fig newtons and im sure some more random things i cant think of right now. But yea im going to try and follow that thanks for the article alot of good stuff.

Also do you guys reccomend doing ab work outs also. I know alot of people on here say that to get my abs atronger it will not be done through that but by doing heavy dead lifts and squats

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Also do you guys reccomend doing ab work outs also. I know alot of people on here say that to get my abs atronger it will not be done through that but by doing heavy dead lifts and squats
    I'm in the "direct ab work is a waste of time" camp mostly because I don't like the look of really developed abs and I figure they get plenty of work in all the other lifts I do. Others will disagree.

Originally Posted by nlite2000 View Post
    I'm in the "direct ab work is a waste of time" camp mostly because I don't like the look of really developed abs and I figure they get plenty of work in all the other lifts I do. Others will disagree.
    it depends on your routine. i train my abs just like every other muscle in my body. 4 sets of 8 reps, increasing weight as needed. unfortunately, the crunch machine at my gym ran out of plates once i got past 200lbs lulz. for some weird reason my abs, calves and my traps were really strong to begin with...........

Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post
    cut at 33 cals per LB of fat and you won't lose LBM. even if you do lose LBM, you will quickly regain it in less then a month coming out of dieting.
    ^^^This is wrong^^^

200lb guy at 20%
    160 lbs of lean
    40lbs of fat
    40 * 33 = 1320 calories??????

If you manage to lose substantial muscle on that 1300 calorie diet it may take years to replace it. You are not going to replace 20 lbs of muscle the first month.
    My Reverse Diet Log

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^^^This is wrong^^^

200lb guy at 20%
    160 lbs of lean
    40lbs of fat

If you manage to lose substantial muscle on that 1300 calorie diet it may take years to replace it. You are not going to replace 20 lbs of muscle the first month.
    He misinterpreted the result, the 33 cals per pound of body fat is your max DEFICIT so you'd subtract that from your maintenance, which at 200 lbs is probably around 2800-2900, you're looking at a 1500-1600 calorie diet minimum. Which, for an extended period of time is pretty low.
    Barely decent crew

^^^This is wrong^^^

200lb guy at 20%
    160 lbs of lean
    40lbs of fat

no sir, you misread my post, of course that would be wrong. 33cal a lb for the deficit, so if that persons maintenance is 3000 cals, they could cut at 1700 cals a day max. of course this number changes as weight is lost. my LBM is 170, my maintenance goes from 3000-3500 cals a day, i've been cutting at 2000 for the longest time. i'm slightly over 20% BF, if you've seen the pictures ive posted recently its easily obvious i lost absolutely no muscle.

Originally Posted by cyco85 View Post
    He misinterpreted the result, the 33 cals per pound of body fat is your max DEFICIT so you'd subtract that from your maintenance, which at 200 lbs is probably around 2800-2900, you're looking at a 1500-1600 calorie diet minimum. Which, for an extended period of time is pretty low.
    lol thats the dumbest thing ive ever hear. That would mean say when i was at 270 well say 90 times 33 which equals over 2700 less than my matinenece lol?

lol thats the dumbest thing ive ever hear. That would mean say when i was at 270 well say 90 times 33 which equals over 2700 less than my matinenece lol?
    yes it does, most of the time it's not practical to do that though because you can't cut out protein and fats to create a*deficit*that huge and you need at least 100g of carbs a day if you're lifting weights.

I'm VitaminVendetta PerpetualMotion's Avatar
    PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PerpetualMotion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    33 cals per pound of fat? Where did you come up with that figure?
    “Go back?" he thought. "No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!" So up he got, and trotted along with his little sword held in front of him and one hand feeling the wall, and his heart all of a patter and a pitter.”

Originally Posted by PerpetualMotion View Post
    33 cals per pound of fat? Where did you come up with that figure?
    i dont remember where now, but im not the only person who has mentioned it on this forum. the body can use 33 calories per day from each lb of fat you have, so if you're at 10% BF and trying to go down to something crazy like 6% and you weigh like 190lbs anymore then a 500 cal deficit is a bad idea.*

i dont remember where now, but im not the only person who has mentioned it on this forum. the body can use 33 calories per day from each lb of fat you have, so if you're at 10% BF and trying to go down to something crazy like 6% and you weigh like 190lbs anymore then a 500 cal deficit is a bad idea.*
    I understand what your saying now. The concept comes from Lyle McDonalds theoretical max amount of lipolysis/day. Under ideal conditions the body can supply X amount of calories from fat each day and X is determined by the amount of fat you have. A 1320 calorie deficit sounds much better for my 20% body fat example.

That said, those numbers are all theory and depend on you knowing an exact body fat. I would error on the side of caution as it does take some time to put muscle mass back on. I want to say the theoretical max for a natural bodybuilder, bulking is 1-2 lbs of muscle/month under ideal conditions.
    My Reverse Diet Log

I understand what your saying now. The concept comes from Lyle McDonalds theoretical max amount of lipolysis/day. Under ideal conditions the body can supply X amount of calories from fat each day and X is determined by the amount of fat you have. A 1320 calorie deficit sounds much better for my 20% body fat example.

That said, those numbers are all theory and depend on you knowing an exact body fat. I would error on the side of caution as it does take some time to put muscle mass back on. I want to say the theoretical max for a natural bodybuilder, bulking is 1-2 lbs of muscle/month under ideal conditions.
    yes but have you ever been out of the gym and atrophied? it comes back much faster then it initially went on. no not 20lbs in a month, but if you spent two years gaining 25lbs of muscle, and cut and lost 5lbs total of muscle through stupidity, as soon as you stop cutting those 5lbs will go back on fast. its like noob gains sorta

yes but have you ever been out of the gym and atrophied? it comes back much faster then it initially went on. no not 20lbs in a month, but if you spent two years gaining 25lbs of muscle a month, and cut and lost 5lbs total of muscle through stupidity, as soon as you stop cutting those 5lbs will go back on fast.
    I think you may be confusing glycogen depletion with true mass loss. It pretty easy to drop 5 lbs of LBM through glycogen/water depletion and feel like crap in the gym. Then have a couple of refeed days and your back to beast mode. If you do actually manage to lose real muscle mass it takes months to replace it.
    My Reverse Diet Log