UPknight10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice on training 10 year old female competitive swimmer?

I am newly certified as a HFS through ACSM, and am fortunate to have quite a few clients already. My newest client though, a 10 year old female competitive swimmer, has me questioning a few things as far as how to go about training her. I have my other younger clients doing a variety of body weight exercises to improve their relative strength, and am probably going to put her through a similar type workout (animal crawls, lunges, bw squats, etc.). I begin each workout with a modified version of a "Parisi Speed School" type active dynamic warm up, and end each session with flexibility and core.

Any thoughts or ideas on different workouts that would benefit my young client?

popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000) popupwindow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Check for shoulder internal rotation deficits and weak/tight RCs. Virutally everyone can benefit from more thoracic mobility and strength in postural muscle (rhomboids, read delts, glutes etc). Really you're just trying to keep her injury free and give her a bit of a cross-training stimulus, swimming in general doesn't respond as well to S&C as other sports. So improve her strength, fitness, body awareness (something most swimmers have little of), re-inforce good movement patterns, but do it in a way that is varied and fun, it shouldn't feel like 'work' to her, it should be more like play, with a few serious bits (shoulder I/R stuff etc).

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by UPknight10 View Post
    I am newly certified as a HFS through ACSM, and am fortunate to have quite a few clients already. My newest client though, a 10 year old female competitive swimmer, has me questioning a few things as far as how to go about training her. I have my other younger clients doing a variety of body weight exercises to improve their relative strength, and am probably going to put her through a similar type workout (animal crawls, lunges, bw squats, etc.). I begin each workout with a modified version of a "Parisi Speed School" type active dynamic warm up, and end each session with flexibility and core.

Any thoughts or ideas on different workouts that would benefit my young client?
    Honestly, a 10 year old female competitive swimmer needs to be taught by a professional swimming coach, if her goal is to become a faster swimmer. To give her the best results, I would refer her off. This coming from somebody who has trained 100's of swimmers and triathletes, as a NASM/ACE personal trainer.
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AnaerobicAndrew View Post
    Honestly, a 10 year old female competitive swimmer needs to be taught by a professional swimming coach, if her goal is to become a faster swimmer. To give her the best results, I would refer her off. This coming from somebody who has trained 100's of swimmers and triathletes, as a NASM/ACE personal trainer.
    I don't think he's been tired to help her become a better swimmer. (Though I'm sure avoiding things that be detrimental to her performance as a swimmer is one of his guidelines)
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.