Thread: 10 kg Dumbbells

Registered User gokerkececioglu's Avatar
    gokerkececioglu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

10 kg Dumbbells

Hello Dearest Fellas,

I have a question which is about something that I really need to have information about.
    I started to work out with dumbbells about 5 months ago.My dumbbells were 4 kgs. (each of them) and after all the time I worked with them, I started to feel like they are really so light for me.Also, I read some articles which says that we are supposed to increas weight in every 4-6 weeks. or the amount of repetitions.
    Yesterday I bought two new dumbbells which are 10kgs.It was my off day yesterday so i did not work out but I tried to lift it a few times.
    I was like "OMG!!!Thats too heavy"
    I know that I can work out with the new dumbbells as long as I make controlled moves.
    But do you think that new 10kgs dumbbells would help me build new muscles or would have a negative effect on my existing muscles?
    I am so confused.Can you please help me?

mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickfortis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gokerkececioglu View Post
    Hello Dearest Fellas,

I have a question which is about something that I really need to have information about.
    I started to work out with dumbbells about 5 months ago.My dumbbells were 4 kgs. (each of them) and after all the time I worked with them, I started to feel like they are really so light for me.Also, I read some articles which says that we are supposed to increas weight in every 4-6 weeks. or the amount of repetitions.
    Yesterday I bought two new dumbbells which are 10kgs.It was my off day yesterday so i did not work out but I tried to lift it a few times.
    I was like "OMG!!!Thats too heavy"
    I know that I can work out with the new dumbbells as long as I make controlled moves.
    But do you think that new 10kgs dumbbells would help me build new muscles or would have a negative effect on my existing muscles?
    I am so confused.Can you please help me?
    If you can work out with them with controlled form, then theyre not too heavy for you.
    Honestly though I think youre going to need a lot more weight than 10 kg dumbbells pretty soon, so I'd suggest either joining a gym or buying heavier DBs.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    do you think that new 10kgs dumbbells would help me build new muscles
    Yes, if you use them safely and progressively.

or would have a negative effect on my existing muscles?
    The only negative I can see is if you injure yourself, something you can avoid with good form.

Regardless of what moves you are doing, the jump from 4kg to 10kg is significant (250%) so you will naturally experience a very big strain. While many people advice against high-rep work, I think if you want to make a jump like that, you'll want to work up to being able to do a given movement MANY times with 4kg.

For example, if you were doing an elbow ("bicep") curl, working up to 30 controlled repetitions with it would not seem excessive before moving on to do it with a 10kg bell.

Once you are able to train regularly with the heavier dumbbell, your light dumbbell will still have a use for doing warm-ups and getting extra repetitions after failure (drop set).

I'm curious what kind of movements you are doing so far with the dumbbells. There are ways to modify the leverage in some moves to fill in the gaps in resistance.

For example, with lateral raises, you can move up to doing them with straight elbows with the light weight, and initially when you do laterals with the heavier weight, you can bend the elbows to reduce the resistance by shortening the lever, and then as you become stronger, begin straightening the elbow more to make it more difficult.

First replier is also right, eventually you will probably become strong enough in many movements that you will be able to lift heavier weights. People can become very strong in movements like rows, supine (or even overhead) presses, squats/deadlifts, etc.

Would you share the type of things you are doing with them?

Registered User gokerkececioglu's Avatar
    gokerkececioglu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Yes, if you use them safely and progressively.

The only negative I can see is if you injure yourself, something you can avoid with good form.

Regardless of what moves you are doing, the jump from 4kg to 10kg is significant (250%) so you will naturally experience a very big strain. While many people advice against high-rep work, I think if you want to make a jump like that, you'll want to work up to being able to do a given movement MANY times with 4kg.

For example, if you were doing an elbow ("bicep") curl, working up to 30 controlled repetitions with it would not seem excessive before moving on to do it with a 10kg bell.

Once you are able to train regularly with the heavier dumbbell, your light dumbbell will still have a use for doing warm-ups and getting extra repetitions after failure (drop set).

I'm curious what kind of movements you are doing so far with the dumbbells. There are ways to modify the leverage in some moves to fill in the gaps in resistance.

For example, with lateral raises, you can move up to doing them with straight elbows with the light weight, and initially when you do laterals with the heavier weight, you can bend the elbows to reduce the resistance by shortening the lever, and then as you become stronger, begin straightening the elbow more to make it more difficult.

First replier is also right, eventually you will probably become strong enough in many movements that you will be able to lift heavier weights. People can become very strong in movements like rows, supine (or even overhead) presses, squats/deadlifts, etc.

Would you share the type of things you are doing with them?

First of all i want all of you to forgive me because of my mistakes in English :-s

2 Years ago I bought a set of DVD's from a store in the city.
    Its called Tony Hortons P90 Training Set and I finished the 3 month of it then I got another set called P90M.In the set there were many videos but I am skipping some of them.
    I work with Sculpt5-6 one day and the next day I work with Sweat5-6.Every week I work out 6 days and rest one day.
    There are no dumbbell workouts in Sweat5-6.
    When its Sculpt5-6 day i do work out with dumbbells.It takes about 45 minutes.Some of the things i do during the workout are
    -one arm at a time heavy pants
    -Six Direction Shoulder Flys
    -basic presses
    -curls
    -push-ups
    -squats
    -lawn mover

when i compare my body with the times i was not working out, i can see some improvements.those improvements are not that huge eventhough the 7 month i spent working out but i think that i have to be patient.right?
    lately...maybe for about a month or a little bit more, i added new stuff to my exercise.
    I was reading an article on bodybuilding.com and saw another program over there to build up a great chest.the program had incline-decline-flat bench press etc but at home it was so hard for me to make incline and decline so i changed the program as i could make it.
    i make 8 dumbbell benchpress+8dumbell shoulder flys+8 pushups as 3 sets.I do that after finishing each of Sculpt5-6 and Sweat 5-6.Also make AB100 and AB200 from P90 Series.
    in AB100 there are 10 moves 10 repetitions.
    in AB200 there are 10 moves 20 repetitions.
    here is a review about that exercises.i found it on the web.
    "A 4-minute ab workout? That’s my kind of ab workout! Seriously, though, it’s very good. You do 10 reps of 10 different exercises. Some are simple, like regular crunches, for example. Others are a lot more challenging, such as lying prone and pulling your legs in from flat on the ground, quickly. This one is not as hard as Ab Ripper X, but it still makes a great add-on for another workout. There is also a short stretch at the end, making the entire thing about 5-6 minutes."

I am looking forward to hear your comments.