Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Ddrm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Pinskers View Post
    No, if you're undereating, you're going to be at a deficit anyways. In order to get your metabolism back to working order, particularly after a history of water fasts, you need shoot for maintenance and stay there for a bit, particularly if you're tempted to keep restricting. Your body needs to register it's going to get a constant supply of food before it realizes it's not going to starve again. Hence, maintenance.

I personally didn't count my calories until later in my recovery game because I knew I'd flip out at the numbers and be right back where I started from.
    Ok! So I should be on a calorie balance? Do you believe that I've messed up my metabolism by these fasts? Should I eat some specific food? I guess I should eat very much protein to increase musclegrowth. Should I workout during the recovery? How long do you Think I should keep this maintenance?

Can I be on a calorie balance for a while and later on be on a calorie deficit to lose the Pounds I've gained?

I will certainly not be weighing myself for a while..

Bulking: Let's Get Fluffy Pinskers's Avatar
    Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ddrm View Post
    Ok! So I should be on a calorie balance? Do you believe that I've messed up my metabolism by these fasts? Should I eat some specific food? I guess I should eat very much protein to increase musclegrowth. Should I workout during the recovery? How long do you Think I should keep this maintenance?

Can I be on a calorie balance for a while and later on be on a calorie deficit to lose the Pounds I've gained?

I will certainly not be weighing myself for a while..
    If you haven't messed up your metabolism, you've probably messed up the way you view your body/relationship with the scale/etc.

Personally, at this stage in the game, I say you eat what you want. I know that sounds slightly counterintuitive, but learning to put food in categories that are neither good or bad are pretty important. There's a calculating macros thread in the stickies in the nutrition forum. Once you calculate your needed protein/carbs/fats, you can eat whatever you want to reach those macros, even if it's a slice of cake.

I'm not qualified to give recovery advice, obviously, and I recommend you hook yourself up with a good nutritionist during this time, but speaking from general experience, if you're working out, you need to eat more. As long as you're upping your calories 100 to 200 each week. (I, personally, did, just to keep my sanity). And yes, you can lose the weight later, but that shouldn't be your main concern (and the fact that it is concerns me a bit). I'd keep the maintenance for at least six months. Each person varies and I'm hesitant to give you a concrete number (I used six because that's how long my nutritionist told me to stay on it before she allowed me to start counting again, but your milage may vary).

Again, I'm coming at this with the mindset of someone recovering from an ED. I'm not sure if you'd classify under the experiences I've had or not.

If you haven't messed up your metabolism, you've probably messed up the way you view your body/relationship with the scale/etc.

Personally, at this stage in the game, I say you eat what you want. I know that sounds slightly counterintuitive, but learning to put food in categories that are neither good or bad are pretty important. There's a calculating macros thread in the stickies in the nutrition forum. Once you calculate your needed protein/carbs/fats, you can eat whatever you want to reach those macros, even if it's a slice of cake.

I'm not qualified to give recovery advice, obviously, and I recommend you hook yourself up with a good nutritionist during this time, but speaking from general experience, if you're working out, you need to eat more. As long as you're upping your calories 100 to 200 each week. (I, personally, did, just to keep my sanity). And yes, you can lose the weight later, but that shouldn't be your main concern (and the fact that it is concerns me a bit). I'd keep the maintenance for at least six months. Each person varies and I'm hesitant to give you a concrete number (I used six because that's how long my nutritionist told me to stay on it before she allowed me to start counting again, but your milage may vary).

Again, I'm coming at this with the mindset of someone recovering from an ED. I'm not sure if you'd classify under the experiences I've had or not.
    I do have a bad relationship to food and have been dieting on and off for a while now(a couple of years). But I wouldn't consider myself having an ED. Just a regular teen with weight issues. Even though I had a perfectly normal weight before, I wanted to get even skinnier. Which resulted in the total opposite in the long run.

The problem with me is that when I want something I want it right away and I have 0 patience. Considering the fast lasted only 9 Days, couldn't I start off a real diet now? And do it right this time? If I eat 1500 calories and start lifting weights do you think the weight will come off or will the weight stick with me due to the decreased metabolism?

I have so many questions, I know! Thank you so much for your tips! It's great to hear from someone's who's been in the same position kind of

Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do have a bad relationship to food and have been dieting on and off for a while now(a couple of years). But I wouldn't consider myself having an ED. Just a regular teen with weight issues. Even though I had a perfectly normal weight before, I wanted to get even skinnier. Which resulted in the total opposite in the long run.

The problem with me is that when I want something I want it right away and I have 0 patience. Considering the fast lasted only 9 Days, couldn't I start off a real diet now? And do it right this time? If I eat 1500 calories and start lifting weights do you think the weight will come off or will the weight stick with me due to the decreased metabolism?

I have so many questions, I know! Thank you so much for your tips! It's great to hear from someone's who's been in the same position kind of
    If you're a teen, this a WHOLE different ball game. If you are, you really need to not concentrate on dieting and just enjoying your life—making building a healthy relationship with food even MORE important.

If you're a teen, this a WHOLE different ball game. If you are, you really need to not concentrate on dieting and just enjoying your life—making building a healthy relationship with food even MORE important.
    Yes i'm 18 years old. I know I have a crazy relationship to food and it was only getting worse this summer. I am aware of the fact that I have to start eating healthy and take of my body but i'm kind of also freaking out on this weight

Yes i'm 18 years old. I know I have a crazy relationship to food and it was only getting worse this summer. I am aware of the fact that I have to start eating healthy and take of my body but i'm kind of also freaking out on this weight
    Please seek some help if you can. I've given you all the advice I can give you, it's up to you to decide how much you want to get better. Even starving for more than a day can wreak havoc on your metabolism (hence why your body goes into binge mode to protect itself) and the fact that you did a water fast for 9 is concerning—even for medical reasons, water fasts usually don't last more than a day or two.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Pinskers; 09-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.

prozaccookies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I'm currently stuck in this mentally traumatizing gimmick of eating too few calories thanks to my ED.. I've had anorexia for 4 years, absent period for 3+ years, I got my bone density scans last week and I have osteoporosis horrendously! I'm 21 this month, 155.5cm, 98lbs(44kg) lowest weight 35kgs. I train hard to cope with my recovery transgression but I'm still so scared to up cals, reading this has helped A LOT! I eat 550-680cals now, I know that's hardly any but keep in mind over the last 3 months I've gone from 350cals... Sigh. One must trust the science behind all of this and ignore the mind I guess ! Keeping positive, though! Any step whether it be forwards or sometimes backwards is still progress as the journey is what matters most, right!?

euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) euco09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by prozaccookies View Post
    I'm currently stuck in this mentally traumatizing gimmick of eating too few calories thanks to my ED.. I've had anorexia for 4 years, absent period for 3+ years, I got my bone density scans last week and I have osteoporosis horrendously! I'm 21 this month, 155.5cm, 98lbs(44kg) lowest weight 35kgs. I train hard to cope with my recovery transgression but I'm still so scared to up cals, reading this has helped A LOT! I eat 550-680cals now, I know that's hardly any but keep in mind over the last 3 months I've gone from 350cals... Sigh. One must trust the science behind all of this and ignore the mind I guess ! Keeping positive, though! Any step whether it be forwards or sometimes backwards is still progress as the journey is what matters most, right!?
    You should have a look at youreatopia.com. I think this forum is great, but most likely not for people with eating disorders. No offence, I have been in a similar position to you but not as lower weight as you. Your health is in serious danger in more ways than you think but it is all reversible if you start to fix things now.

prozaccookies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by euco09 View Post
    You should have a look at youreatopia.com. I think this forum is great, but most likely not for people with eating disorders. No offence, I have been in a similar position to you but not as lower weight as you. Your health is in serious danger in more ways than you think but it is all reversible if you start to fix things now.
    Thanks for responding! I do agree that this forum is quite dubious for people in my situation and sometimes can become an obsession and quite triggering, but I also find it very very inspirational and informative. I had never heard of youreatopia.com before and just signed myself up and I can see myself getting a lot of support and inspiration there too, so thank you ! As many people who have recovered from ED's aspirations are to become fit and build muscle, I too have this strong desire so I think I will stick to this site for inspiration on where I'd like to be and remember why I want recovery so much. And use youreatopia for more thereaputic reasons.

Originally Posted by prozaccookies View Post
    Thanks for responding! I do agree that this forum is quite dubious for people in my situation and sometimes can become an obsession and quite triggering, but I also find it very very inspirational and informative. I had never heard of youreatopia.com before and just signed myself up and I can see myself getting a lot of support and inspiration there too, so thank you ! As many people who have recovered from ED's aspirations are to become fit and build muscle, I too have this strong desire so I think I will stick to this site for inspiration on where I'd like to be and remember why I want recovery so much. And use youreatopia for more thereaputic reasons.
    Seconding YourEatopia! The principles are sound, great for anyone recovering from ANY restrictive eating behaviors, and the community is UBER supportive and addresses all the misgiving you may have! I post on the forums there myself, and visit daily to renew my commitment to staying active in my recovery process.

tchoo96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wanted to jump in and get some help! I started reverse dieting about 4-5 weeks ago and I was eating about 1100 cal a day. I was 5'4 at 123lbs. I went up to 1400 a week ago (increasing carbs 5g a week, now at 105g) but I binged over the weekend a little and now I am at 125-126lbs. I have left my carb intake at 105g for about 2 weeks now and I'm not sure if I should increase it this week. HELP!!

I workout 5 days a week lifting. My protein intake is about 140g and fats is about 50-60g.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is no real reason to reverse diet.

Return to an estimated maintenance intake and monitor for 2-4 weeks.

Binging is often misused and having an occasional day of higher intakes are not binges.

Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    There is no real reason to reverse diet.

Return to an estimated maintenance intake and monitor for 2-4 weeks.

Binging is often misused and having an occasional day of higher intakes are not binges.
    Well I want to prevent any fat gain as much as possible so thats what I want to slowly add in calories instead of jumping up to 1900 in a day....should I not reverse diet?

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tchoo96 View Post
    Well I want to prevent any fat gain as much as possible so thats what I want to slowly add in calories instead of jumping up to 1900 in a day....should I not reverse diet?
    Fat gains happen when eating in a calorie surplus. There won't be any fat gains if you're eating at maintenance. Anytime we increase calories, the initial gain is water weight...not anything to panic over.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can, but there is no real reason to prolong it. If you want to dial in a bit sure, but don't add in 50 calories a week or some nonsense.

If you think you maint is about 1900, jump to 1700 for a week, then 1800 for a week and then 1900. You will initially add weight regardless of how you get to maintenance. For most, you can expect about a 5 lbs increase as fluid retention normalizes. Don't prolong your diet if your intention is no longer to diet.

Once you return to maintenance. monitor and see what your weight does and adjust fire based on your new goal (whatever they may be).

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Fat gains happen when eating in a calorie surplus. There won't be any fat gains if you're eating at maintenance. Anytime we increase calories, the initial gain is water weight...not anything to panic over.
    I calculated my TDEE using the IIFYM forum. Working out 5 days a week says I need to eat about 1900 calories to maintain but is this accurate?..

You can, but there is no real reason to prolong it. If you want to dial in a bit sure, but don't add in 50 calories a week or some nonsense.

If you think you maint is about 1900, jump to 1700 for a week, then 1800 for a week and then 1900. You will initially add weight regardless of how you get to maintenance. For most, you can expect about a 5 lbs increase as fluid retention normalizes. Don't prolong your diet if your intention is no longer to diet.

Once you return to maintenance. monitor and see what your weight does and adjust fire based on your new goal (whatever they may be).
    Oh okay, I might add calories week by week then. I calculated my TDEE on the iifym forum and it came out to be 1900 but im not entirely sure if thats the right amount. Thats why I dont want to jump up in calories so fast. I don't want to prolong my diet so I am very tempted to just jump straight to 1700...

I calculated my TDEE using the IIFYM forum. Working out 5 days a week says I need to eat about 1900 calories to maintain but is this accurate?..
    No

It's an estimate. All calculators are estimates. 1900 gives a novice a good target. You work back to 1900 calories over a few weeks (not months). You monitor your intake for 2-4 weeks. If you weight levels off after the first 5-6 weeks, than you are close to maint.

At this point, you dial in. Add 100 calories. If 2000 calories produces no significant weight increases after 2 weeks. Add another 100. If you start gaining at 2100 calories than 2000 was maint.

Once you dial in, the calculators are useless. Personal experience will trump online estimates.

Oh okay, I might add calories week by week then. I calculated my TDEE on the iifym forum and it came out to be 1900 but im not entirely sure if thats the right amount. Thats why I dont want to jump up in calories so fast. I don't want to prolong my diet so I am very tempted to just jump straight to 1700...
    Personally, I would just go to 1900 and monitor for 4 weeks.

IMO, there is no way that a reasonably active woman will have a TDEE below 1900 calories. In the amazing off chance that it WAS a surplus, the surplus would not be significant enough to add fat. You would have to consume about 250 calories over maintenance for a month to gain 2 lbs (if you're weight training most would be muscle anyhow).

No

It's an estimate. All calculators are estimates. 1900 gives a novice a good target. You work back to 1900 calories over a few weeks (not months). You monitor your intake for 2-4 weeks. If you weight levels off after the first 5-6 weeks, than you are close to maint.

At this point, you dial in. Add 100 calories. If 2000 calories produces no significant weight increases after 2 weeks. Add another 100. If you start gaining at 2100 calories than 2000 was maint.

Once you dial in, the calculators are useless. Personal experience will trump online estimates.

Personally, I would just go to 1900 and monitor for 4 weeks.

IMO, there is no way that a reasonably active woman will have a TDEE below 1900 calories. In the amazing off chance that it WAS a surplus, the surplus would not be significant enough to add fat. You would have to consume about 250 calories over maintenance for a month to gain 2 lbs (if you're weight training most would be muscle anyhow).
    Thank you so much for your input! It really helps to know other people' thoughts on the whole concept of fixing my metabolism. I figured since this entire thread was leaning towards reverse dieting and slowly adding calories back, it would be the better option. However, you also make a good point about how it doesn't matter because the weight will level out anyways? I ate about 1450 calories yesterday and it's easier said than done to go straight to 1900 calories because I was close to getting and ED with my low calorie low carb diet. I'm still a little scared about the carbs and calories but I will try my best to get to 1900 as fast as I can. Would going up 100 calories a week be too slow?

I would reach 1900 in about 4 weeks then I can maintain it for another couple of weeks to see if it does anything to my weight. I'm not sure if people say that the weight gain initially is just water retention because I still stay at the weight. It doesn't go down :/

Thank you so much for your input! It really helps to know other people' thoughts on the whole concept of fixing my metabolism. I figured since this entire thread was leaning towards reverse dieting and slowly adding calories back, it would be the better option. However, you also make a good point about how it doesn't matter because the weight will level out anyways? I ate about 1450 calories yesterday and it's easier said than done to go straight to 1900 calories because I was close to getting and ED with my low calorie low carb diet. I'm still a little scared about the carbs and calories but I will try my best to get to 1900 as fast as I can. Would going up 100 calories a week be too slow?

I would reach 1900 in about 4 weeks then I can maintain it for another couple of weeks to see if it does anything to my weight. I'm not sure if people say that the weight gain initially is just water retention because I still stay at the weight. It doesn't go down :/
    For those with an ED, slowly raising calories is a psychological issue, not a physical one. If you only feel comfortable slowly raising your calories, than that is understandable. You're goal is to try and find a healthy and happy intake level and develop a healthy relationship with food.

For dieters (even prolonged dieters), taking about 4 weeks to reach maintenance, another 4 weeks to confirm is all it really takes. For those that are more accustomed to dieting and know their maintenance, they can move right to a small (200-300) calories surplus with no ill effect. For those with an ED, after 8 weeks of confirming maintenance, this would be a good time to try and let the counting go all together. After weeks of eating a healthy fixed intake, our body will regulate to that amount of food, and you will naturally eat consistently without counting.

As mentioned by Kimm already, and I really want to stress this, you will add weight to the scale once you return to a maintenance intake. It doesn't matter how fast you add calories, or how slow you add calories, or how "clean" you eat or etc. etc. etc. Your weight will go up back up when you come off a deficit. The only thing slowly adding calories does, is it will just make your retain water slower.

For those who chose to go right to a maint intake, you will regain all of your NORMAL and HEALTHY retention back quickly. This will actually give you MORE time to dial in, and can help you understand what your normal retention is. Which is another metric you can use for successful dieting in the future. Understanding your water retention will tell you what your natural sway is. This way we stop stressing on 3 -5 lbs sways in weight, we understand them.

For those with an ED, slowly raising calories is a psychological issue, not a physical one. If you only feel comfortable slowly raising your calories, than that is understandable. You're goal is to try and find a healthy and happy intake level and develop a healthy relationship with food.

For dieters (even prolonged dieters), taking about 4 weeks to reach maintenance, another 4 weeks to confirm is all it really takes. For those that are more accustomed to dieting and know their maintenance, they can move right to a small (200-300) calories surplus with no ill effect. For those with an ED, after 8 weeks of confirming maintenance, this would be a good time to try and let the counting go all together. After weeks of eating a healthy fixed intake, our body will regulate to that amount of food, and you will naturally eat consistently without counting.

As mentioned by Kimm already, and I really want to stress this, you will add weight to the scale once you return to a maintenance intake. It doesn't matter how fast you add calories, or how slow you add calories, or how "clean" you eat or etc. etc. etc. Your weight will go up back up when you come off a deficit. The only thing slowly adding calories does, is it will just make your retain water slower.

For those who chose to go right to a maint intake, you will regain all of your NORMAL and HEALTHY retention back quickly. This will actually give you MORE time to dial in, and can help you understand what your normal retention is. Which is another metric you can use for successful dieting in the future. Understanding your water retention will tell you what your natural sway is. This way we stop stressing on 3 -5 lbs sways in weight, we understand them.
    Oh wow thank you again for the response. I think I will jump right into 1700 for a week then 1800 then 1900. I believe that I am recovered from the ED its just the weight gain issue that I wasnt comfortable with but after reading your response, I am much more reassured. I was also talking to some other people about slowly adding calories vs jumping straight to maint and thinking about it, it does make sense to have the same outcome with weight just slower when adding in calories each week.

So I will jump to 1700 for a week, then 1800, then 1900 for another week and stay at this calorie intake for 4-6 weeks? Then see what happens to my weight and either add calories or reduce calories?

So I will jump to 1700 for a week, then 1800, then 1900 for another week and stay at this calorie intake for 4-6 weeks? Then see what happens to my weight and either add calories or reduce calories?
    Correct. Once you hit 1900 calories, stay there for 4-6 weeks. If you near maint, and consistent with intake, expect a variation in weight day to day... but the variation will be consistent at a maint.

Also expect that a day or 2 after a high intake, or after a carb heavy or salt heavy day, you may retain higher than usual amounts of water. This is the other area people panic. They feel that a single excessive intake resulted in fat gain. It didn't you just bloated yourself. Returning to your usual diet (not a deficit), will often get rid of the bloat.

emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) emmee6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm extremely happy I found this thread....I would love to open it back up and find out how everyone is doing because I am a serial undereater cardio - queen and in the midst of coming off that. I am excited and determined because I know to reach my goals I need to stick to it. I am not really noticing any weight gain, although I haven't weighed myself for about a month.....I tend to go by how I feel and look more recently. I find the scale messes with my head too much.
    How is everyone doing and to those of you who started the thread, being a few years ago now, what were your results?

lovelifex4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great read! Just starting to increase calories here... have been stuck in a >1000 cal/day, run run run cycle for years now. So ready to actually train and eat like a real athlete. Baby steps!