tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

The Chinese Squat: Dangerous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nc4DpIzns8&t=1m39s
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3222/...6f9ddb902f.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nZgmpu9erB...600/3squat.JPG

Granted, that girl's doing a Power Snatch (happens to be Chinese? haha), and that's some Chinese dude, and the other is a group of Chinese kids, but that is the depth I use for my squats.

Is this OK 吗?
    Last edited by tradesparrow; 06-09-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: To make this post even more racist.
    5'5", 151 lb
    -
    165 Deadlift
    155 Squat
    080 Bench
    050 Press
    050 Power Clean

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    no other way to do them, in my opinion....no only do I go that low, but I HESITATE at the bottom, to avoid any bounce ( even more dangerous, when you go that low, avoid bounce!)....

I will tell you this: If you are looking to pad your listed numbers for certain movements, do not expect to do that, if you are doing squats this way: but what you CAN expect is to REALLY work your quads in a way you never have with squatting....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tradesparrow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    no other way to do them, in my opinion....no only do I go that low, but I HESITATE at the bottom, to avoid any bounce ( even more dangerous, when you go that low, avoid bounce!)....

I will tell you this: If you are looking to pad your listed numbers for certain movements, do not expect to do that, if you are doing squats this way: but what you CAN expect is to REALLY work your quads in a way you never have with squatting....
    I also pause at the bottom to avoid bounce. I acknowledge I may not be able to lift as much from such a deep position, but I'm not lifting for competition or stats. I'm lifting to get stronger for other activities.

I've been increasing my squat by 10 lb each time from 105 until 155. Today was...very difficult and I have a feeling my form suffered, not to mention that I seriously had to slow down. These two factors prompted this question of whether the Chinese Squat is good or bad.

I'll try to record a video of my sets on my phone next time for you guys to critique.
    5'5", 151 lb
    -
    165 Deadlift
    155 Squat
    080 Bench
    050 Press
    050 Power Clean

Resident Pedal Masher robbie_vlad's Avatar
    robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Edit: Fair enough, I clearly took it differently than was intended. My apologies to the OP however, carry on.
    Last edited by robbie_vlad; 06-10-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    Is breá liom mo eagla.

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    oh... this guy is Bulgarian... check out these Bulgarian squats:

oh wait... maybe they are Chinese squats...

i'm hungry

Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mr. Tripeps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That position is how nature intended us to sit. Unfortunately, years of sitting in chairs has made us tight in the posterior chain. It's safe, but only if you have the flexibility to do it properly. Look through pictures of any tribal group and most third world countries and you will see people just chillin' in that position. Do that here and people will think something is wrong with you, lol.

Originally Posted by robbie_vlad View Post
    A squat by definition is that depth. So stop calling them Chinese squats, you sound like a moron.

Squat [skwot]
    -verb, squat·ted or squat, squat·ting, adjective, squat·ter, squat·test, noun
    –verb (used without object)
    1.to sit in a low or crouching position with the legs drawn up closely beneath or in front of the body; sit on one's haunches or heels.

Particularly the last part shows that any squat is technically to depth where you are "sitting on one's heels", not just your "Chinese Squats".
    No, no - trust me. They are Chinese "Skwots". Would you like a cookie?

Originally Posted by unity View Post
    oh... this guy is Bulgarian... check out these Bulgarian squats:
    The Bulgarians learned it from the Chinese.

No, no - trust me. XD

P.S. @JohnG, unity, and Tripeps: Thanks for the reassurance. Those videos were especially nice.

P.P.S. @Vlad: Rick Roll
    Last edited by tradesparrow; 06-09-2011 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Squat ---> Skwot
    5'5", 151 lb
    -
    165 Deadlift
    155 Squat
    080 Bench
    050 Press
    050 Power Clean

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A squat by definition is that depth. So stop calling them Chinese squats, you sound like a moron.
    one of my rare negs on this forum.....

stop calling other members such names! would you call him that to his face, in person??

don't make more out of it, than the OP intended: it was said in fun and not mean spirited...
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

I Am A Registered User alexbowley247's Avatar
    alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alexbowley247 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Baa baa black sheep, rock star, rap G
    Make enough dough to own a black card, that's deep

log if anyones bored http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137203193