BigDaddyFlea has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face 14 year old daughter wants to flatten stomach

I explained to her that there is no such thing as spot reduction, just fat loss and and improved posture. She's shooting for walking 11 miles a week, and cutting calories. Is super low carb safe for teens? Her mother wants her to stick to a more traditional style, low fat, fruits and veggie diet, but I'm insisting she get around 100 grams of protein a day. I think we figured about 1440 calories a day: 100 g protein,40 g fat, and that leave 270 g of carbs (?)!
    Any help or ideas are welcome. She's not really interested in bodybuilding.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Tell her if she's interested in being in shape to train and eat like a body builder(a smart one). Odds are stacked against her that she won't become one, definitely not by accident.

Anyhow, I suggest a 40/40/20 split and I'd tell her to worry less about the walking and do things that put her muscles to work through resistance training. I wouldn't suggest a deficit higher than 500 calories per day either. She probably doesn't need 100 grams of protein per day but that certainly won't hurt anything unless she's already eating too much. 1440 calories could be an alright starting point but just adjust that as needed based upon the rates of her results.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    she needs SOME kind of weight training. Not bodybuilding like curls and calf raises but compound movements like push ups, pull ups and squats.

Low carb is good, low fat is bad. I don't know why people think low fat diets are healthy.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Low carb is good, low fat is bad. I don't know why people think low fat diets are healthy.

Because the popular media/government recommended a high carb low fat diet for the last 10-15 years. Old dogma dies hard....
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) drunkplaya69 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlea View Post
    I explained to her that there is no such thing as spot reduction, just fat loss and and improved posture. She's shooting for walking 11 miles a week, and cutting calories. Is super low carb safe for teens? Her mother wants her to stick to a more traditional style, low fat, fruits and veggie diet, but I'm insisting she get around 100 grams of protein a day. I think we figured about 1440 calories a day: 100 g protein,40 g fat, and that leave 270 g of carbs (?)!
    Any help or ideas are welcome. She's not really interested in bodybuilding.
    Send her to me I'll whip her into shape !

Eater of Planets MusclesGlasses's Avatar
    MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000) MusclesGlasses is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by drunkplaya69 View Post
    You must be drunk..
    5K+ guaranteed

Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10) Roundheya is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd be worried cutting calories at that age, it can seriously screw with you during puberty.

More exercise, and don't worry about calories so much (diet more nutritious foods) get her into doing yoga.

Screw with your calories too much at that age and you can stunt growth, cause acne, and cause irregular cycle.

I say get her doing yoga and eating decent proteins and fats, and order garnier fructis cream cleanser NOT GEL!!! off the Internet.

I may not know dieting, but I know skin, and at that age, when your skin is perfect you feel better. I also had the misfortune of doing a lower calorie diet at age twelve, my height stalled for two years. Went from top 5% in height from the day i was born to run of the freaking mill.

I'm fat, but I say avoid big calorie deficits at such an important time.

Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dopeshow16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tell her to relax, she's beautiful, and enjoy life as a kid.
    United States Air Force - Comm Jockey

kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kmal2t has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Shes 14...the only thing she needs to get into good shape is eat good foods when shes hungry, cut out junk food and do a sport in school.
    /Getting fat till Big 3 = 1000

WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000) WackoJackoo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get her to join a sports team.

When i was younger i lost all my puppy fat through playing soccer.

Maybe you should get her to join the netball or volleyball team.

Its so easy to loose the weight at that age all she really needs to do is just exercise more and to stay away from fast food and sweets.

Hope all goes well
    life only opens the door to women, i kick the fuker down and rape all the women ~ WackoJackoo

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WackoJackoo View Post
    Get her to join a sports team.

When i was younger i lost all my puppy fat through playing soccer.

Maybe you should get her to join the netball or volleyball team.

Its so easy to loose the weight at that age all she really needs to do is just exercise more and to stay away from fast food and sweets.

Hope all goes well
    ah! Best advice so far! Perfect for an adolescent.
    Play a sport + reduce junk food = results

I was a bit chubby when I was 12-13. I did tae kwon do 4x/week and I slimmed down really well.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sshin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sports certainly do the trick. I wish I could do sports again, but work always takes me by the neck.
    6 Rules of Life by Arnold:
    1. Trust yourself
    2. Break some rules
    3. Don't be afraid to lose
    4. Don't listen to nay sayers
    5. Work your butt off
    6. Give back

Thumbs up Thanks

I appreciate the input. It's kind of what I thought: go outside and play, and eat good food.

...I'll pass

Originally Posted by drunkplaya69 View Post
    Some days I'd like to send her to Canada, but...

creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You are setting a very bad precedent having your 14 yo daughter on a calorie counting/restriction diet. Young girls have very delicate body images and you are reinforcing that hers is not good enough. Perhaps maybe speaking with a professional would be the best thing for her before this turns into something really bad which is entirely possible with a young impressionable girl. I have witnessed it first hand and it is not pretty.

Maybe just get her active and instill healthier eating habits such as low sugar non processed foods as suggested by others will be the best advice for the long run.

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by creinhold View Post
    You are setting a very bad precedent having your 14 yo daughter on a calorie counting/restriction diet. Young girls have very delicate body images and you are reinforcing that hers is not good enough. Perhaps maybe speaking with a professional would be the best thing for her before this turns into something really bad which is entirely possible with a young impressionable girl. I have witnessed it first hand and it is not pretty.

Maybe just get her active and instill healthier eating habits such as low sugar non processed foods as suggested by others will be the best advice for the long run.
    That's retarded. Perhaps he just wants his daughter to understand proper nutrition and how to manage her weight. I wish my parents taught me this lesson as a teenager.

He's not putting her on some anorexic, crash diet. He's trying to have her eat a properly macro balanced diet at a caloric deficit for weight loss. Nothing wrong with that at all. Some kids can eat what they want and stay thin, and others cannot. If my kids had a weight problem, I'd do the same. Luckily, both of my son's are thin/ecto's.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are too many fat kids these days. Just look around, seriously.

Props to you OP for helping your daughter lose weight in a healthy way. I say, have her pick up some weights, exercise with you, maybe go out running or biking together, and help her make good food choices. Explain to her what's good to eat and what isn't, and more importantly, WHY. The most important thing I think is education - I think that anybody that doesn't understand how a metabolism works is unlikely to be successful in their goals.

She's at a very moldable age, take advantage of that so she can live a long and healthy life.

(that was probably a bit OT, but just putting out my 2c)
    = Misc Anxiety Crew =
    = Miscin From Work Crew =
    = Keto Crew =

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here, "huge success!"
    It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

You aren't in starvation mode
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_mode

reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10) reagansquad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MusclesGlasses View Post
    You must be drunk..
    Naw, he's Canadian...
    I'm here to make my body look like dubstep sounds.

StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TelusLob View Post
    That's retarded. Perhaps he just wants his daughter to understand proper nutrition and how to manage her weight. I wish my parents taught me this lesson as a teenager.

He's not putting her on some anorexic, crash diet. He's trying to have her eat a properly macro balanced diet at a caloric deficit for weight loss. Nothing wrong with that at all. Some kids can eat what they want and stay thin, and others cannot. If my kids had a weight problem, I'd do the same. Luckily, both of my son's are thin/ecto's.
    I agree with teluslob, parents should give a push. After Hs my parents started pointing out my weight which put me in the right direction to a point I am now. However, they did it in a very blunt rude manner like my cousin who said, "you decided not to play college football; now you are getting too fat." lol

So the OP's manner is a much better approach. Good luck to your daughter. Being overweight is stressful and emotional. If you help her get in shape now you daughter will have much better success in her life and avoid all the negative emotions she may go through.