View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1283
    TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bradster101190 View Post
    Here we go!

First off the main thing to remember when studying the NASM test is comprehension , not memorization, why MEMORIZE when you can comprehend sometimes faster.

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE READY?
    The best way to know you are fully ready for the NASM exam is this simple test...study for one week , take notes on everything you can, draw diagrams, act out any movement and make mental notes then when you believe you are truly ready have someone quiz you on the questions at the end of every chapter, make sure you get atl east 90% of these correct, then take ONE practice exam and make sure you score at least a 90% on that as well. And if you miss a question , do NOT memorize the question , they will NOT be worded the same. COMPREHEND the material. If I get this question....

On the Pulling assesment what tempo should be used?

-4/2/1
    -x/x/x
    -2/0/2
    /1/1/1

And I GUESS 4/2/1 because that sounds good, im WRONG, why? Because it is 2/02, so then the exam will say no it is 2/02 and you will say COOL ILL MEMORIZE THAT. No... go back and read the assessment section of the book especially involving pushing and pulling assessments , how else will you know you need to also do 20 reps at that 2/0/2 tempo?

It is little things like that , which you just COMPLETELY forget to study , and trust me it happens to all of us , maybe your girlfriend called you or something fell over and you overlooked that assessment. Which reminds me , study in a relaxing environment with very little distractions.

Another way to know you can ensure your ready is read the book again..( skip special populations if you want it only has 2 questions usually ) If you don't totally remember something make a note card of it. I did this and had 30 or so notecards , well that's 30 new things I learnt.

ACUTE VARIABLES
    The acute variables is what i consider the hardest part, but at the same time the easiest. Learn the main variables for Stabilization,Strength and Power and you should know enough of this it wont kill you, otherwise your going to have to learn all 5 phase adpations, core training, power training adaptions ect. I learned all of them but all I needed was the core 3 and common sense wuch as this question....

In stage 3 hypertrophy training How many repetitions are performed?

1-5
    2-6
    8-12
    12-16

Well common sense says hypertrophy(phase 3) is part of the strength "block" and from a little weightlifting experience you should remember 8-12

THE DREADED PAGE 169

If you read around 80% of people say MEMORIZE 169, well I say don't. I probably have looked at page 169 less then 10 minutes but can still tell you the entire chart. How? I learned functional anatomy, yes functional anatomy,,pages 68-86 that no one ever reads because its too much information. and I agree it is too much information, becuase it repeats itself over and over and over....This is how I learnt those pages and therefore fully understood overactive and under active muscles with no memorization.

First all you need to know is each muscles isolated function and whats even better is you can GROUP THEM..this basically gets all those pages.Allso remember to walk all these out so it will stick much faster, you can learn them in 2-3 days.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Hamstring group -Accelerates knee flexion and hip extension..( Grouped them all together instead of learning every little muscle)

Quadricep Group-Knee Extension and Hip Flexion( grouped them as well)

Gluteus Maximus -hip extension and external rotation

Latissimus Dorsi-Shoulder extension, abduction and internal rotation

Rhomboids-Scapular retraction and downward rotation.

Biceps Brachi-Elbow flexion , shoulder flexion and supination of radioulnar joint

Triceps-Elbow and shoulder extension

Serratus Anterior- Scapular Protraction

Solues and Gastrocnemius-Plantarflexion

Rectus Abdominis- Spinal flexion, lateral flexion and rotation

------------------------------------------------------------

FREE QUESTIONS

These questions are on 70% of tests.

What is the inner most layer of muscle?
    ANWSER Endomysium

How much water is recommended per day?
    ANWSER :96 ounces, 3 quarts or 8-12 cups.

How many calories are in 1 gram of protein/carbohydrate/fat?
    4/4/9

A person who's pants are higher in the back than in the front displays?
    Anterior Pellvic tilt

When taking the pulse the diastolic pulse is heard when?
    It begins to fade.

Remember people react to you based on 55% physiology , 38% tone of voice and 7% words.

COOL APPLICATIONS FOR YOUR PHONE
    -----------------------------------------------
    Speed Anatomy- its free and will teach you anatomy very fast since you have fun the whole time.

NASM - its available in the android market and has questions right of the exam. I went overboard with this to where I could take all 400 questions and make a 95%+....dont study it that hard , I dont even recommend taking tests on it use its study mode , it will ask you and then EXPLAIN 400 questions , which is invaluable.

does anyone know what page 169 is in the fourth edition? reps for answers
    :: Above & Beyond Crew ::

**getting stronger but never bigger crew**

*** A.C. Milan ***
    U.S. Città di Palermo
    †Italian Crew†

★★★ EDC Chicago 2013 Misc Crew ★★★

TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheAquila is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheAquila View Post
    does anyone know what page 169 is in the fourth edition? reps for answers
    nvm its pg 183, already got that down
    :: Above & Beyond Crew ::

**getting stronger but never bigger crew**

*** A.C. Milan ***
    U.S. Città di Palermo
    †Italian Crew†

★★★ EDC Chicago 2013 Misc Crew ★★★

NobleCarnivore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Took the test yesterday and passed on the first try. I thought it was pretty easy and straight forward and didn't think the questions were worded to be tricky at all (except for maybe 1 or 2 of the questions).

All I did was buy the exam, no study materials. I found the 4th edition book in PDF format online somehow and downloaded it for free, then had it printed out in full color. Saved me a little money . Studied sporadically for 2 months, maybe 1.5 hours, 3 or 4 times a week. I read the whole book and highlighted key points the first round. After that, I looked at some of the things that everyone pointed out here, copied and pasted those points in Word, then went through the book again and emphasized those areas while taking notes this time. Overall it took me about 2.5 months to get everything down and feel comfortable enough to take the test. When I had problems with certain topics, I would look up videos on Youtube or Google it. You don't need to buy any of the materials from NASM (audio lectures, videos, flash cards) if you're tight on money. Everything you need to know is in the book, which you can rent, or just look it up online (legit sources obviously).

The way I practiced how to analyze muscle imbalances/compensations etc. was I took pictures of the charts on my phone, then when I went to workout at the gym I would study people's form and try to figure out where their compensations are occurring. Then I'd refer back to my chart after. I also practiced assessments on my friends whenever I got an opportunity. This gave me a chance to teach them why their posture is the way it is. I think that really helps you in retaining the info. If you just try to memorize the chart, it can screw you over, especially if you don't know the specific isolated purpose of some of the muscles that they ask about.

I purchased two apps as study tools, but I don't think they really helped. Some of the practice test questions had wrong answers to them. Such a waste of money. Stay away from them!
    Last edited by NobleCarnivore; 07-22-2016 at 01:29 PM.

dsaxline has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SkinnyBeast24 View Post
    Just read the book and take notes on each chapter, you will know what tables everybody is discussing when you come around to them. It's still helpful to know everything in the book to just make you a better overall trainer then focusing on any of the bullet points people have stated here.

However, it's safe to say you will have 30-40 questions on the assessments/imbalances/distortion syndromes/exercises in each phase for core/balance/plyo/saq/

Surprisingly, there is a good 10-20 questions on the last 2 chapters when it comes to SMART goals and stuff like that so don't just skip a chapter saying this is dumb b/c those are chapters they like to take questions from for some reason.

If you read and takes notes on each chapter and memorize the important tables, it will be hard to fail
    Wonderful. Thanks!
    I'm going through the book first with detailed notes before I go through this whole thread carefully. I want to learn as much as I can without a bias on what I need to be most focused on that way I don't look over something small.

From Bones to Brawn SkinnyBeast24's Avatar
    SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dsaxline View Post
    Wonderful. Thanks!
    I'm going through the book first with detailed notes before I go through this whole thread carefully. I want to learn as much as I can without a bias on what I need to be most focused on that way I don't look over something small.
    That's the best way to go about it. Read every single chapter + take your own notes. Know 4 years for tax records + 2.0 ceu's / 20 contact hours every 2 years to renew cert with renewed cpr/aed

Anything else from the NASM-BOC is so freaking straight forward, obviously don't make any medical diagnoses and crap like that which you are not qualified to do so.

I was way more stressed out and spent tons of time and after about 20 questions through the test, not marking anything at all I knew i was going to pass with ease.
    Bench 315x1 - Squat 415x1 - Deadlift 515x1 Total = 1,245

3/4/5 Club as of 8-23-2019. Feels good man.

M.S. Exercise Science (2018)
    Certified by: NSCA C.S.C.S, NASM-CPT

6'5 Manmore, 230 pounds, 15% body-fat (Bod Pod tested)

COLTS (football) - Lakers (LeGOAT) - Indians (Baseball) - Uconn Huskies (college) - USA Soccer

DeJaune has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For those that had the 4th edition book and took the updated version of the test was there much difference. I got a program and it gave me the updated book so I'm going to use it of course. I was considering finding the 4th edition to use as an extra tool since most tips and information online for passing the exam is based on the 4th edition. Any advice there? I was looking for it as a pdf if possible.

drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DeJaune View Post
    For those that had the 4th edition book and took the updated version of the test was there much difference. I got a program and it gave me the updated book so I'm going to use it of course. I was considering finding the 4th edition to use as an extra tool since most tips and information online for passing the exam is based on the 4th edition. Any advice there? I was looking for it as a pdf if possible.
    I wouldn't worry about getting the 4th edition. My guess would be that the updated/revised version would just be better (maybe add some important stuff, or take away some outdated stuff). I don't believe there is a readily available pdf version that people commonly use, but there might be one if you google in some "shady" places lol..

Make sure you know these 5 tips . Reposting once more for good measure since people seemed to find this helpful. I threw it together a few months ago and didn't realize it'd get such an overwhelmingly positive response.

NASM CPT / Online Coach (PM Me)
    PRs: 307B / 420S / 565ConvDL / 520SumoDL

Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLz3VXY1uHU

gorakh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just started studying and I have the 5th edition book. Anyone have any helpful study guides I can follow?

Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigshep87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gorakh View Post
    Just started studying and I have the 5th edition book. Anyone have any helpful study guides I can follow?
    I've got the fifth edition, too. Honestly, the concepts aren't going to be that much different. Just study what everyone has said to focus on in here. I always worry about it being a huge mess with a new edition and it being this new, but I don't think it's going to be that much different. It's laid out differently and some of the information might be updated a bit, but that's all. As far as an actual study guide, I haven't seen one.

BaeganRose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Literally made an account just to ask this, because I can't find it anywhere at all, and apparently don't have the sense to figure it out myself.
    What are the stipulations for each type of exercise? I'm having a really hard time understand the difference in strength balance, or reactive balance, core stabilization, whatever. Some are obvious, but I don't want to memorize, I want to understand why each one is what it is and for some reason I can't find that information.

Gah. So I'm working through Chapter 5 of the 5th edition and going through this thread I keep thinking I've already done the functional anatomy. I went back through ch 3-4 and can't find any large table (the infamous p169 from 3rd edition) to work through. I was a biology major so I'm familiar with biomechanics and such. There doesn't seem to be a table with the isolated functions or anything. I've been going back to the appendix for those.
    So, since I can't find the chart in reference, what is the summary of it so I can better find it in the 5th edition?

jendelta1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just passed on the 1st try

I just got done taking the NASM exam and I am thrilled to say I passed on the first try. This thread helped so much!

After the first 20 questions I was pretty confident I was going to pass. My testing center DID allow me to have a pencil and paper to brain dump and they provided a calculator. Only needed it for one question and it was just to prove to myself I was going with the best answer.

Here is what it took for me to get here:
    - 6 months of personal training school through NPTI
    - On my own I read through the entire book (4th edition) highlighting key points in each section. Took it slow and finished the book in 6 weeks making sure I reread what i didn't understand before moving on.
    - After reading the book I took word for word notes on the NASM 4 CPT prep course.
    - Made up acronyms of most over/under muscles on the OH squat Solution table. For overactive I remembered VBAT, HAGS, HEL, LPT, SUL and MRR, AGE, and HIG for underachieve. Know the stretches and strength exercises for each.
    - Made up sentences for pronation distortion over and underactive- Gabby says please add limes, ham, and butter and Aunt Patty vacuums gummy hair. For lower crossed over and under- Gabby says have a late Easter and Gabby says go in to. Upper crossed was very similar to OH squat chart so just remembered those and and a couple more from the under crossed chart.
    - Made flash cards of all acute variables, water intake, stretches, progression and regression for all exercises and what phase, special population do's and don'ts, SMART, READ, 4 P's of marketing, stages of change, and general adaptation syndrome. Basically anything I had trouble with plus suggestions from this thread.
    - It was helpful taking practice tests on NASM jblearning, using apps (pocket prep did me no good as the questions were worded way harder and confusing than the actual exam, liked upward and the blue NASM CPT apps best), doing the NASM exam practice test that I received after registering for test (did this once a week for 3 weeks, 71% on first try, 86% 2nd and 3rd try, and 96% day before test). None of my test questions were identical to the practice tests but still found the them helpful so I could go back an study things I didn't test well on. Loved the NASM CPT prep. Anything I didn't understand in the book was simplified here. There were also brief quizzes to follow most sections.

Here was what was on my test: (some are copied from what someone else had on pg. 35)

** Where to take measurements w/skin fold (same anatomic locations both times)
    ** 3 cardio training zones
    ** P's of marketing
    ** pronation distortion over and underactive
    ** over and underactive muscles on OH squat stretches and strength exercises
    ** one question on view for arched back
    ** Where foam roll should be placed on body and if it's inferior or superior (example place foam roll inferior or superior to hip when foam rolling TFL)
    ** difference between an Attainable goal and a Realistic goal.
    ** ATP pathways
    ** purpose of balance stabilization training
    **Know which type of exercises are performed in which plane of motion
    ** Exercises for Fexibility, Core, Balance, Plyo and Resistance exercises. (know progressions and regressions)
    ** I had one questions asking how many reps should be performed during a power plyo exercise (8-12)
    ** Know the acute variables for each phase resistance training (pg 370-379)
    ** I had a few questions about pregnant clients and obese clients but they were simple.
    ** Know balance progressions (floor, balance beam, half foam roll, foam pad, balance disc. My exam said Dyna Disc instead of balance disc, which would have confused me if i didnt know what a dyna disc was. so remember Dyna Disc lol, I think this was one of the research questions because I dont remember them using that specific name in the book..only balance disc.
    ** EPOC
    ** rest time after completing 1 circuit
    **Plyometric training may be called reactive training on your exam
    ** Know why periodization is important
    ** Where are proteins broken down in the body?
    ** Recommended protein consumption
    ** Benefits of protein in diet
    ** Recommended carb consumption
    ** Recommended fat consumption
    ** Properties of fat
    ** Negative effects of dehydration
    ** Know everything about water (pg. 490 & 491)
    ** You should keep all documents for at least 4 years
    ** Know SMART goals, i had a few questions list goals and it asked which was most in line with SMART goals
    ** Directive and non-directive questions (close-ended and open-ended questions)
    ** There were actually a lot of questions from chapter 19
    **Sales decisions are based off emotions
    **What is the next step after you know how much weekly income is needed
    ** NASM code of conduct

Here are a few questions I can recall:

Which is intrinsic motivation?
    a. weight loss goal
    b. improve mood
    c. improve posture
    d. improve overall health

Which is a dynamic stretch?
    a. lunge and reach
    b. SL balance
    c. SL DB scaption
    d. ice skaters

What is the formala to calculate max heart rate? (YES, it say 208 and not 220!)
    a. (208 - age) x 85%
    b. 208- RHR
    c. 208 - (age x RHR)
    d. 208 - (.7 x age)

How many reps in stage 3 plyo?
    A. 5-10
    B. 8-12
    C. 8-10
    D. 3-5

Overall it wasn't too difficult but I studied pretty hard core for the last month. No way I could have just winged it. I probably studied 4-8 hours a day 3 for weeks before the test however, I already had months of being familiar with the material. If you take your time to know the material you will be okay. Good luck
    Last edited by jendelta1; 08-08-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Gah. So I'm working through Chapter 5 of the 5th edition and going through this thread I keep thinking I've already done the functional anatomy. I went back through ch 3-4 and can't find any large table (the infamous p169 from 3rd edition) to work through. I was a biology major so I'm familiar with biomechanics and such. There doesn't seem to be a table with the isolated functions or anything. I've been going back to the appendix for those.
    So, since I can't find the chart in reference, what is the summary of it so I can better find it in the 5th edition?
    It's 196 in the 4th addition at the very end of Chapter 7. Do yourself a favor and Google NASM overhead squat solutions table and print it. It actually had more strength exercises listed than were in the table in the book. Came in helpful for my exam.

Any tips on memorizing/understanding the overactive and underactive muscles in the overhead squat?

Originally Posted by gorakh View Post
    Any tips on memorizing/understanding the overactive and underactive muscles in the overhead squat?
    Act them out so you can feel where the muscles are. This is the most important tip. There are good YouTube videos out there too. But if you get test anxiety like I do make up acronyms, songs, or whatever to help you recall.

These are the acronyms I made up. I know they are silly but I remembered and passed on the first try There are some I just had to remember because I couldn't come up with anything (like the feet turning out, and the underactive for push/pull.

-Over/under knees turn in- V-BAT, VG
    -Over/Under Excessive Forward lean- HAGS, AGE (told myself when you're old you stoup forward so old HAGS AGE)
    -Over/Under arched back- HEL, HIG (having low back pain is HEL)
    -Over/Under Arms fall forward- LPT, MRR
    -Overactive push/pull- SUL

quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quinnhoeppner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jendelta1 View Post
    Act them out so you can feel where the muscles are. This is the most important tip. There are good YouTube videos out there too. But if you get test anxiety like I do make up acronyms, songs, or whatever to help you recall.

These are the acronyms I made up. I know they are silly but I remembered and passed on the first try There are some I just had to remember because I couldn't come up with anything (like the feet turning out, and the underactive for push/pull.

-Over/under knees turn in- V-BAT, VG
    -Over/Under Excessive Forward lean- HAGS, AGE (told myself when you're old you stoup forward so old HAGS AGE)
    -Over/Under arched back- HEL, HIG (having low back pain is HEL)
    -Over/Under Arms fall forward- LPT, MRR
    -Overactive push/pull- SUL
    youtube brent brookbush his videos helped me alot
    Squat: 300 BP: 205 DL: 355

drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    here ya go: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/249598004327368435/

therealjmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just Passed!

Hey everyone

Just took the test today and I have to say...this entire thread really saved my ass. If you want to be overprepared for the NASM....READ THIS THREAD! I am a 23 year old male with a bachelors degree in clinical psychology and business management and only started lifting after my concussion derailed my college basketball "career". I passed it on my first try with 90 minutes left on the clock. If I can do it, anyone can do it with hard work and dedication (barf)

Here is what I did for my studying. I studied on and off for 3 months but really ramped it up in the last three weeks after failing the practice exam.

The first thing I did was go through all of the video lectures and activities on the NASM site for a specific group (program design, nutrition, client relations, etc) and took notes on each one. After I finished one group, I would go through all the flashcards for that group and memorize all 100 of them. It took me around 2 or 3 days of focused studying to master each individual section. I did this for each section and then retook the practice exam and got a 76. Although that was a passing score, I wasn't satisfied. So I went back and quickly reviewed everything again, with focus on what I was having trouble with (overactive/underactive). After skimming over problem sections i went back and got an 86. I basically never used the book. Giant $500 sleeping pill. To memorize the over/under for the Overhead squat assessment and the push/pull, I used mnemonic devices. For example, one of my devices was
    Sharon (soleus)
    Grew (gastrocnemius)
    Boobs (bicep femoris)

Popular (popliteus)
    Mean (medial gastrocnemius)
    Girls (gracilis)
    Hate (hamstring complex)
    Sharon (sartorious)

as stupid as this was and as imperfect as it is, it helped me remember the over/under for each compensation without too much difficulty and I'm sure you can find your own mnemonics for each compensation.

I also made sure I was familiar with the isolated functions of each muscle group. I used an app on my phone that I dont remember because I'm still a little drunk from celebrating, but the muscles u need to remember are pretty basic if you are familiar with training. It wasn't all too critical for the exam, but it helped to tie things together.

After I felt comfortable, I went to the Upwards Mobility NASM app. It was alright, some of the questions were reallllllly out there and weren't in the book at all. But one thing that helped me was the explanations they gave for each answer. The best thing I got from that was their description of synergistic dominance: "imagine a coach puts in a substitute to pitch instead of the regular pitcher." or something along those lines. I don't remember entirely, but im sure someone can correct me.

Once I felt comfortable with the Upwards Mobility app, I took the practice tests again and scored a 96/100 and a 112/120. Was feeling good, despite the feeling of wanting to **** my pants when test day came up.

Went to the PSI testing location, wasn't given a paper and pencil, took the test and passed.

What I am about to post is a re-repost but this was HUGE for my studying:

Here was what was on my test: (some are copied from what someone else had on pg. 35)

** Where to take measurements w/skin fold (same anatomic locations both times)
    ** 3 cardio training zones
    ** P's of marketing
    ** pronation distortion over and underactive
    ** over and underactive muscles on OH squat stretches and strength exercises
    ** one question on view for arched back
    ** Where foam roll should be placed on body and if it's inferior or superior (example place foam roll inferior or superior to hip when foam rolling TFL)
    ** difference between an Attainable goal and a Realistic goal.
    ** ATP pathways
    ** purpose of balance stabilization training
    **Know which type of exercises are performed in which plane of motion
    ** Exercises for Fexibility, Core, Balance, Plyo and Resistance exercises. (know progressions and regressions)
    ** I had one questions asking how many reps should be performed during a power plyo exercise (8-12)
    ** Know the acute variables for each phase resistance training (pg 370-379)
    ** I had a few questions about pregnant clients and obese clients but they were simple.
    ** Know balance progressions (floor, balance beam, half foam roll, foam pad, balance disc. My exam said Dyna Disc instead of balance disc, which would have confused me if i didnt know what a dyna disc was. so remember Dyna Disc lol, I think this was one of the research questions because I dont remember them using that specific name in the book..only balance disc.
    ** EPOC
    ** rest time after completing 1 circuit
    **Plyometric training may be called reactive training on your exam
    ** Know why periodization is important
    ** Where are proteins broken down in the body?
    ** Recommended protein consumption
    ** Benefits of protein in diet
    ** Recommended carb consumption
    ** Recommended fat consumption
    ** Properties of fat
    ** Negative effects of dehydration
    ** Know everything about water (pg. 490 & 491)
    ** You should keep all documents for at least 4 years
    ** Know SMART goals, i had a few questions list goals and it asked which was most in line with SMART goals
    ** Directive and non-directive questions (close-ended and open-ended questions)
    ** There were actually a lot of questions from chapter 19
    **Sales decisions are based off emotions
    **What is the next step after you know how much weekly income is needed
    ** NASM code of conduct

Here are a few questions I can recall:

What is it called when in between training sessions, a trainer greets clients at the front desk?: I chose prospecting but I wasnt sure. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this one.

Which is a dynamic stretch?
    a. lunge and reach
    b. SL balance
    c. SL DB scaption
    d. ice skaters

How many reps in stage 3 plyo?
    A. 5-10
    B. 8-12
    C. 8-10
    D. 3-5

Alot of questions were on the Postural Distortion Patterns and quiet of few on inhibition.
    Make sure to know READ, FITTE, etc
    Also a good amount of questions were about the overactive/underactive muscles.
    ALOT of questions were on exercises (know what type of exercises are for core/power etc etc)
    Also know the exercises progressions/regressions.
    I think there was like one question about the muscles in general, and their isolated function.
    Quiet a few questions from the last two chapters of the book (Lifestyle modification/developing your succesful business)
    And the rest were just random questions from different chapters and what not.

BEST OF LUCK to everyone. But please remember...DONT FREAK OUT! If you are ready to pass, you will pass! The questions really werent convoluted rubix cubes like some people claim. Just read each question thoroughly, and choose the best answer. If you don't know the best answer, use the process of elimination and pick YOUR best answer. Chances are, YOUR best answer is the right answer. Use your common sense, and know the code of conduct.

Now its on to the NSCA CSCS!

Originally Posted by jendelta1 View Post
    It's 196 in the 4th addition at the very end of Chapter 7. Do yourself a favor and Google NASM overhead squat solutions table and print it. It actually had more strength exercises listed than were in the table in the book. Came in helpful for my exam.
    I have the 5th edition. Definitely going to print that table.
    Thanks.

I have the 5th edition. Definitely going to print that table.
    Thanks.
    Do you have that table in your book? I'm asking because I have the 5th edition too and I don't see it

goonslurkin316 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Taking the personal training route after just recently graduating with a degree in Business Administration. Working out, and pushing oneself to the limits to achieve any type of goal is what's at my core, just was unsure of what I wanted to do (still am, just have to pull the trigger). I've been recommended by trainers at my local gym to head this way (as have many of you), and am curious on which test to select for my first certification (hopefully of many).

As of last night, my mind was telling me the ACE exam, as that's what's popular at my local gym. However, I've seen criticism throughout forums of the test, and decided to check into the NASM. The NSCA looks more towards my interests, however with no anatomy background/kinesiology degree, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, with that being my first exam.

After receiving this much information, I'm now leaning towards this exam. I have vigorous study habits, and extreme motivation once I commit to an objective. The hardest part for me is my initial push, as I'm so analytical on making the correct moves.

I have a a small, remote back ground of the anatomy of the body (due to many injuries of my own, inside and outside the weight room), and feel as though it should help a tad. But the initial undertaking of viewing anatomy is a little worrisome to me, as I feel like a freshman again, having to grasp a raw subject.

I can comprehend detailed, thorough exercises when put in front of me, and have an eye for assessing. It's just the super intricate stuff I'm not sure I'll have to ever describe to a client, is the matter I will neglect or have a hard time processing.

With that being said, I've read this forum from the first post to the last, all 39 pages, prior to purchasing any material. If anyone has any suggestions on which exam you've heard is the best for a solid foundation (i.e. better pay, more qualified when viewed with other applicants, etc.) please feel free to suggest. And thank you very much for all of this information, I love how thorough and technical you all have gotten with the posts. Makes me feel much better.

therealjmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by goonslurkin316 View Post
    Taking the personal training route after just recently graduating with a degree in Business Administration. Working out, and pushing oneself to the limits to achieve any type of goal is what's at my core, just was unsure of what I wanted to do (still am, just have to pull the trigger). I've been recommended by trainers at my local gym to head this way (as have many of you), and am curious on which test to select for my first certification (hopefully of many).

As of last night, my mind was telling me the ACE exam, as that's what's popular at my local gym. However, I've seen criticism throughout forums of the test, and decided to check into the NASM. The NSCA looks more towards my interests, however with no anatomy background/kinesiology degree, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, with that being my first exam.

After receiving this much information, I'm now leaning towards this exam. I have vigorous study habits, and extreme motivation once I commit to an objective. The hardest part for me is my initial push, as I'm so analytical on making the correct moves.

I have a a small, remote back ground of the anatomy of the body (due to many injuries of my own, inside and outside the weight room), and feel as though it should help a tad. But the initial undertaking of viewing anatomy is a little worrisome to me, as I feel like a freshman again, having to grasp a raw subject.

I can comprehend detailed, thorough exercises when put in front of me, and have an eye for assessing. It's just the super intricate stuff I'm not sure I'll have to ever describe to a client, is the matter I will neglect or have a hard time processing.

With that being said, I've read this forum from the first post to the last, all 39 pages, prior to purchasing any material. If anyone has any suggestions on which exam you've heard is the best for a solid foundation (i.e. better pay, more qualified when viewed with other applicants, etc.) please feel free to suggest. And thank you very much for all of this information, I love how thorough and technical you all have gotten with the posts. Makes me feel much better.

From what ive heard nasm seems to be the industry standard but it all depends. as long as u know ur stuff and love what u do the initial cert doesnt rly matter. If ur in it for the long haul u will b getting multiple certs.

eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000) eggums86 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I signed up around march to take the NASM exam....I work around 60 hours a week so when it came to the beginning of August where I had my exam date set for August 27th I was nowhere near ready. I maybe put in around 60 hours of studying time and I wanted to reschedule only to be told that it would cost $200 to reschedule. So instead of just rescheduling I thought I may as well put in as much effort as I can and at least attempt to take it since if I would have failed I would have to pay $200 to retake it if its the same thing.

Before three weeks ago I was probably getting 40's on the practice exams and not really comprehending the information. I then found this lovely forum along with a study guide online from a Kim. For the past three weeks my days literally consisted of waking up working 8:30-5:30 gym until 7:30 and then dinner. Then studying to at least 11pm. Last week was legit crunch time and I even missed two days at the gym and even gave up my weekend shifts at my second job. By Friday I was able to finaly comprehend much of the material and was getting 70s on practice exams.

Come Saturday I took the exam and ended up failing by 5 points. So im giving myself maybe another 3 weeks while the information is fresh to go back and retake it. Mine gave a break down of percentages of how I did in each section and I know I need to focus on program design, the stretching, and of course overactive and underactive muscles.

Needless to say this thread has helped me greatly and if I found it maybe in the beginning I probably would have passed with flying colors.. But I will not be giving up!

Originally Posted by eggums86 View Post
    I signed up around march to take the NASM exam....I work around 60 hours a week so when it came to the beginning of August where I had my exam date set for August 27th I was nowhere near ready. I maybe put in around 60 hours of studying time and I wanted to reschedule only to be told that it would cost $200 to reschedule. So instead of just rescheduling I thought I may as well put in as much effort as I can and at least attempt to take it since if I would have failed I would have to pay $200 to retake it if its the same thing.

Before three weeks ago I was probably getting 40's on the practice exams and not really comprehending the information. I then found this lovely forum along with a study guide online from a Kim. For the past three weeks my days literally consisted of waking up working 8:30-5:30 gym until 7:30 and then dinner. Then studying to at least 11pm. Last week was legit crunch time and I even missed two days at the gym and even gave up my weekend shifts at my second job. By Friday I was able to finaly comprehend much of the material and was getting 70s on practice exams.

Come Saturday I took the exam and ended up failing by 5 points. So im giving myself maybe another 3 weeks while the information is fresh to go back and retake it. Mine gave a break down of percentages of how I did in each section and I know I need to focus on program design, the stretching, and of course overactive and underactive muscles.

Needless to say this thread has helped me greatly and if I found it maybe in the beginning I probably would have passed with flying colors.. But I will not be giving up!
    So close!! You're gonna kill it next time around though. Happy studying

kspringer12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi everyone! I just completed the NASM exam a few weeks ago and I felt like it's only fair that I provide some feedback as well! I found this thread to be very helpful, but unfortunately, it wasn't enough to help me pass my exam I failed by just a few points! I was very frustrated, so as soon as I got home, I wrote down every single question that I could remember from the exam and I have been reviewing everything so that I can definitely pass the next attempt. I went into the exam feeling confident because of how hard I studied, but the exam was much more difficult than I expected. For those of you studying for the test, take a look at the questions I have posted below because they should be very helpful as they came straight from my exam.

-What type of relationship describes the overlap between myosin & actin?
    -Which plane of motion is a standing cable chest performed?
    -How many sets should you perform for strength endurance?
    -Girth changes include what type of measurements? Circumference
    -A trainer is demonstrating an exercise for a client. What type of feedback is this?
    -What is a core stabilization exercise to address the anterior pelvic tilt?
    -What type of joint allows movement in the transverse plane? Pivot
    -How to strengthen the anterior tibialis?
    -What chamber pumps reoxygenated blood to the entire body? Left ventricle
    -When performing SMR, which occurs? Decreasing muscle spindle activity
    -RDA for protein per kilo of body weight for a sedentary adult? 0.8
    -Which energy source is used for activities lasting longer than 2 minutes?
    -Durnin Womersley is an example of what type of measurement? Skinfold
    -How long to hold an active isolated stretch? 1-2 sec
    -What is the importance of active listening when engaging with a client?
    -Which popular diet plan is most effective for long term weight loss?
    -What is the rest time after completing one circuit?
    -Which motion occurs at the hip during the eccentric phase of a squat?
    -What is an example of a balance exercise in the power phase?
    *LOTS OF QUESTIONS LIKE THIS*

All of those questions came straight from my exam. I high suggest reviewing them & making sure you know all of the answers. Also, definitely make sure that you are familiar with which types of exercises belong to which phase of the OPT model. This was addressed all throughout my exam and I should have studied it a lot more than I did. Another very important thing to make sure that you know the overactive/underactive muscles. Make sure that you know how to strengthen the underactive and how to stretch the overactive. It WILL ask questions about which specific exercise will help.

Whatever you do, DO NOT underestimate the difficulty of this exam. Read through the entire book, study all of the exercises, memorize the charts, and familiarize yourself with the key terms. If you do all of this, you should be fine. Good luck!

Ryuhadoken is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is this the book you used to study for the NASM exam? Thank you very much.

NASM Essentials Of Personal Fitness Training: Fourth Edition Revised 4th Edition

sharonw2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

They must have made it easier since this thread

I just took NASM on Saturday (Passed). I read this thread before, and I think I would have really wasted my time if I followed preparation advice here. You just have to have some common sense, and read the book a couple of times about a month apart ( to let stuff settle in your head from the first time) and you will be fine. Some questions were repeated twice with slight modification. Overall I found it to be way easier than is portrayed in all the prep guids, threads, etc. Just read the book and have some common sense. The questions are not very intricate.

Just passed the NASM exam 2 days ago. It was not difficult at all!

TonyaTaughtMe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Passes NASM Exam 12/27/2016

Hey guys,

So I recently took and passed the NASM exam on my first try on 12/27/2016. While I was studying I wished that there was a study guide that outlined more of the important information so that I wasn't wasting my time trying to memorize the whole 16 chapter book and then the dreaded Appendix D.

I have created a study guide that is available for $20 via Paypal that includes important information, videos that I found helpful, apps that I used on my phone and more. I am also including free tips and tricks, as well as emailed guidance if you need further help during the time you study for your exam.

If you're interested please email me at tonyataughtme@gmail.com

I wish you all the best of luck on your NASM journey!

Happy training!

xo, Tonya

DeJaune has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took it today and I sadly did not pass. 2 points! ugh! well I have to say I had stopped studying and reading completely. I 'wasted time' so to speak. I have a very full time teaching and I was just so buy with it that I had not stayed commited. I used the week leading up to my exam to study and I must say it was tough. I literally only studied for a week. I found some tips and such from searching the web and eventually I will I take it again. But now I have to study for the PPR (teacher test). Yup that was another thing...I had to take the test today and the second test on Tuesday (this coming Tuesday) so its a lot on my mind. Hopefully when I take it I can focus solely on it and not feel so stressed.
    I will say that I am glad it tells you how you did on each area. I purchased an app last night (yes...I'm a last minute study type of perrson) and it is really helpful because it follows this edition of the book. If you get an answer wrong, it gives an explanation and the page that will help with the correct answer and understanding.

what was on it? it felt like so much. my head is throbbing. The over/under active muscles and the exercises to do to help them probably got me the most. I mean...come on...I just started to study this week so you can imagine trying to memorize that dreaded chart (pg 295 5th edition) in just a week along with all the rest of the book.
    Oh well. no sweat off my back. give myself a short mental break and try again. I mean you get 180 days to study so his time I will just study better.