View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    erictotsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smokey7703 View Post
    I literally just passed about 15 minutes ago! This thread was golden, lots of stuff applied.

My experience: Lots of emphasis on stabilization training. LOTS. A little odd knowledge of acute variables, but it wasnt as bad as i thought. Its a load off my mind!
    Congrats man and great job! Def post any questions that you can think of to help future readers and myself I'm still trying to decide if I'm ready or not.

Originally Posted by cjogro View Post
    I just passed my NASM certification test today as well.

I would not advise doing what I did: ordering the study materials and then becoming so busy that you rarely have time to study. I studied on and off for about 6 months and took my exam within the last few days of my candidacy. I wish that I had accessed the CPT Prep and Practice Tests before the night before my exam but not having internet at home and working 60-hour work weeks was not so conducive to online learning.

Anyway, I figured it out, read the book almost twice, filled out the activity book, watched the DVD's. I found the practice test and online preps so useful as no one had actually quizzed me. Much like studying for the ACT or SAT, half of the battle is understanding how questions are worded and what answers are likely to be sought. Wish I had also accessed this thread before the test, but, eh... It's over, and I passed and now I get to write a happy email to the gym manager I've been in contact with to confirm that I've passed and am good for hire. Yay!
    Great job buddy! You did great, gives me hope that I can pass mine when the time comes. Any pointers or advice you could share for myself and future readers? Bradster may be able to add them to the initial post

smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50) smokey7703 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by erictotsy View Post
    Congrats man and great job! Def post any questions that you can think of to help future readers and myself I'm still trying to decide if I'm ready or not.

For sure brother.

The ones i can recall are..

Whats the agonist of a hip extension : Glutes maximus

Protein/fat/carbs calories: 4/9/4

RDA intake of the above

Protein requirements for a endurance athlete: 1.4g/kg

A weird one i had was "which is not a support mechanism for blood?"
    The options were Protection, regulation, Cardiac output, and one more i can recall. Threw me for a loop

Push / Pull assessment tempo: 2/0/2

Core exercise tempo: 3/2/1

As stated before, they rephrase a ton of stuff, so it sounds far more complicated than it really is. Honestly bro, if you feel confident, id go take it. Worst case scenario you can just reschedule for another 50$ if you dont pass. Worth the risk imo, you might pass. You never know until you try. Best of luck to everyone out there, it's not as bad as you might think.
    NASM CPT

Originally Posted by smokey7703 View Post
    For sure brother.

The ones i can recall are..

Whats the agonist of a hip extension : Glutes maximus

Protein/fat/carbs calories: 4/9/4

RDA intake of the above

Protein requirements for a endurance athlete: 1.4g/kg

A weird one i had was "which is not a support mechanism for blood?"
    The options were Protection, regulation, Cardiac output, and one more i can recall. Threw me for a loop

Push / Pull assessment tempo: 2/0/2

Core exercise tempo: 3/2/1

As stated before, they rephrase a ton of stuff, so it sounds far more complicated than it really is. Honestly bro, if you feel confident, id go take it. Worst case scenario you can just reschedule for another 50$ if you dont pass. Worth the risk imo, you might pass. You never know until you try. Best of luck to everyone out there, it's not as bad as you might think.
    Thanks for the info buddy. I called NASM to see about a retest if for some reason i didn't pass the first time and it would be $200. So I'm thinking I'm going to review for a bit longer.

mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Taking this bad boy tomorrow morning (4th Edition)!

mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikehayman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    And on an interesting side note I learned from one of my professors today that less than 1/2 of 1% of the people that have taken the NASM exam have achieved a perfect score..and he was one of them. Thought that was cool.

Passed! It was a little harder than I expected but overall not too bad. Definitely know your overactive/underactive muscles!

lildave678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So for the functional anatomy, I really only need to focus on the isolated functions correct? The integrated functions are sort of self-explanatory once you know the isolated functions?

I'll be back with a bunch of questions! I finally got through the book after 4-ish months of just kind of getting to it when I can...now that I have a bit of time carved out I'm going back through the DVD/key terms and then I'll re-read the book along while taking the practice tests/using the Android Apps.

Originally Posted by mikehayman View Post
    Passed! It was a little harder than I expected but overall not too bad. Definitely know your overactive/underactive muscles!
    Congratulations man!

Published Fitness Author Bradster101190's Avatar
    Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lildave678 View Post
    So for the functional anatomy, I really only need to focus on the isolated functions correct? The integrated functions are sort of self-explanatory once you know the isolated functions?

I'll be back with a bunch of questions! I finally got through the book after 4-ish months of just kind of getting to it when I can...now that I have a bit of time carved out I'm going back through the DVD/key terms and then I'll re-read the book along while taking the practice tests/using the Android Apps.

Sounds like a great plan goodluck buddy.
    Fitness Author at Bodybuilding.com, T-Nation, EliteFTS
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com
    Read More Of My Work At: https://www.brad-kelly.com/recent-articles/

Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mikehayman View Post
    And on an interesting side note I learned from one of my professors today that less than 1/2 of 1% of the people that have taken the NASM exam have achieved a perfect score..and he was one of them. Thought that was cool.

Congratulations on passing, and that is awesome he did a perfect score. They told me I scored within the top 7 % of all test rakers missing less then 5 questions so those 5 or so questions really pushed me back!

Sorry I have been slow guys , I have been slammed with work.
    Last edited by Bradster101190; 02-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

Smile

I scheduled my CPT-3 exam for tomorrow morning! I've been hitting over 90% on the practice tests and I feel ready so I'm going in confident! I'll be back with my experience tomorrow!

lildave678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I scheduled my CPT-3 exam for tomorrow morning! I've been hitting over 90% on the practice tests and I feel ready so I'm going in confident! I'll be back with my experience tomorrow!
    Let us know how it goes! And I have a quick question and I think I'm just really over-analyzing/over-thinking it too much, but what exactly IS internal feedback? I understand how heartrate monitors, a personal trainer's comments, mirrors, etc are external but for whatever reason I just can't grasp what EXACTLY would be considered internal feedback...

In my eyes, I feel like anything that's internal (such as the heart rate itself) needs something that's external to measure/comment on it lol. I'm definitely over-thinking it! Help is appreciated

EDIT: Just to further clarify my question...for example, in the DVD for Chapter 4, when talking about internal feedback they show a picture of a woman doing a single leg based exercise and her knee is falling inward. In the next picture, it's straight in proper form. My question is what kind of internal feedback would help her fix the issue? How would she know she has the inproper form without a mirror or a health/fitness professional telling her so?
    Last edited by lildave678; 03-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Cool I passed!

I passed the NASM CPT-3 only minutes ago!!!

I was scheduled to take my exam at 11:15 this morning, but my proctor who was supposed to be at the facility decided to fly a plane. (I took my test at a regional airport- weird I know). I was told to come back at 2:00. I was so disappointed because I psyched myself up and was ready but couldn't take it... Bummer! I received a call at 1:00 from the proctor letting me know she was there and ready for me to come over. I drove back to the testing facility only to have to wait another hour and a half before I could take my test. Lasergrade implemented a new system for tests and this facility wasn't using the new system, which is why she didn't see me on her schedule before she went out for a plane ride.

She was on the phone with technical support getting access to the new system while I waited. Once she got into the system I was put on a very old computer to take the test. Once I stated to take the test, the testing window wouldn't load. They didn't have the right software to run the program. Ouch! Another set back.. I had faith though that I was going to take that test today!

Once the test loaded I flew through it in no time, but had to wait on the proctor lady to give me my results. Where was she? She stepped out the backdoor so I had to wait another 10 min for her to come back. I was prepared to come back and share the questions I saw but I'm on a natural high right now and can't think of any. I'm going to come back once I have time to settle down and share more, but wanted to let you guys know that I had one hell of a morning trying to get this test taken, and once I saw PASSED on her computer I yelled with excitement. She looked scared an told me she thought she messed up again and I was going to unleash on her!

Even with all the setbacks I still passed. So my day is going up an up!

I was scheduled to take my exam at 11:15 this morning, but my proctor who was supposed to be at the facility decided to fly a plane. (I took my test at a regional airport- weird I know). I was told to come back at 2:00. I was so disappointed because I psyched myself up and was ready but couldn't take it... Bummer! I received a call at 1:00 from the proctor letting me know she was there and ready for me to come over. I drove back to the testing facility only to have to wait another hour and a half before I could take my test. Lasergrade implemented a new system for tests and this facility wasn't using the new system, which is why she didn't see me on her schedule before she went out for a plane ride.

She was on the phone with technical support getting access to the new system while I waited. Once she got into the system I was put on a very old computer to take the test. Once I stated to take the test, the testing window wouldn't load. They didn't have the right software to run the program. Ouch! Another set back.. I had faith though that I was going to take that test today!

Once the test loaded I flew through it in no time, but had to wait on the proctor lady to give me my results. Where was she? She stepped out the backdoor so I had to wait another 10 min for her to come back. I was prepared to come back and share the questions I saw but I'm on a natural high right now and can't think of any. I'm going to come back once I have time to settle down and share more, but wanted to let you guys know that I had one hell of a morning trying to get this test taken, and once I saw PASSED on her computer I yelled with excitement. She looked scared an told me she thought she messed up again and I was going to unleash on her!

Congratulations buddy I am glad it all went well.

Originally Posted by lildave678 View Post
    Let us know how it goes! And I have a quick question and I think I'm just really over-analyzing/over-thinking it too much, but what exactly IS internal feedback? I understand how heartrate monitors, a personal trainer's comments, mirrors, etc are external but for whatever reason I just can't grasp what EXACTLY would be considered internal feedback...

In my eyes, I feel like anything that's internal (such as the heart rate itself) needs something that's external to measure/comment on it lol. I'm definitely over-thinking it! Help is appreciated

EDIT: Just to further clarify my question...for example, in the DVD for Chapter 4, when talking about internal feedback they show a picture of a woman doing a single leg based exercise and her knee is falling inward. In the next picture, it's straight in proper form. My question is what kind of internal feedback would help her fix the issue? How would she know she has the inproper form without a mirror or a health/fitness professional telling her so?

Internal feedback alone will not help you correct form but you need correct form to get correct internal feedback, that is why they stress it. Make more sense? Internal feedback does not directly guide a trainee, it just helps the body itself function correctly automatically.

Think of the golgi tendon organs , they sense change and rate of change in muscular tension. That is considered sensory ( or internal ) feedback.
    Last edited by Bradster101190; 03-02-2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

Watchout ur comments bro^ FLPump's Avatar
    FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FLPump is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sup brahs, just got back from taking my NASM personal training test, i passed!!! sooo relieved man i was nervous as ****. So Now Im officially NASM certified. Now I need to go apply for some personal training jobs.

Bradster, all your advice helped so much.
    A few of the the questions on my exam seemed like the exact same question from the practice exam. The test was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, dont overthink it, but do prepare.

Man I'm so happy i passed, time to apply!
    **Dirty South Crew**
    *Florida Gators Crew*
    ~Walk like I was anally raped the day after leg day crew~

NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    I rep back (PM if I forget)

Originally Posted by FLPump View Post
    sup brahs, just got back from taking my NASM personal training test, i passed!!! sooo relieved man i was nervous as ****. So Now Im officially NASM certified. Now I need to go apply for some personal training jobs.

Bradster, all your advice helped so much.
    A few of the the questions on my exam seemed like the exact same question from the practice exam. The test was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, dont overthink it, but do prepare.

Man I'm so happy i passed, time to apply!
    Congratulations!
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liquidfiedz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Read all the posts on here and helped me out a bit. I'm taking my NASM test this Friday. Got any pointers on what I should study up on more? I've read the book and reviewed some of the stuff and the main thing that always get to me is the exercise overloading etc... I taken the practice exam and keep scoring 65%....

Just spent a big chunk of change and ordered the material for the PES, CES, and FNS! Looking forward to obtaining these certifications

DGetsCut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your over-studying experience. I found that by studying, then going over numbers and facts while I trained, it helped drill the info deep in my head. I made it a part of my daily workout: running, swimming, crossfit, etc.

Good stuff. Best wishes to newbies!

Derin

San Diego Fitness Rules!

DGetsCut has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Way to go! Natural high and success after a well-earned accomplishment. That's the sweetness.

Good luck on your training career, where ever you plan to take it!

Derin

San Diego Fitness Rules!

Originally Posted by Liquidfiedz View Post
    Read all the posts on here and helped me out a bit. I'm taking my NASM test this Friday. Got any pointers on what I should study up on more? I've read the book and reviewed some of the stuff and the main thing that always get to me is the exercise overloading etc... I taken the practice exam and keep scoring 65%....

Sorry I missed this! I hope you passed, if not tell us what you found hard and we will make sure you do soon.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cookdaniel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like this practice test, it's really amazing. These type of tests are always beneficial for me and i know many more thing, which i don't know. So thanks for such a great aspect to enhance my knowledge.

ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whats up everyone?

Just got my textbook from UPS couple days ago. Just started studying yesterday.

Couple of questions as my minds just scattered all over the place right now.

I'm only on Chapter 2 - Basic Exercise Science. All this motor neurons and muscle fibers, the whole deal seems like so much. I'm having trouble getting a decent grasp on the knowledge on here. I'm taking notes but it seems like every other sentence I feel is important to write down and memorize.

Did anyone else feel the same way just the 2nd chapter into it?

I also see, not just here but other places people who have taken the test before to study page 169 which is a chart but in my book it's not really a chart but an image of a guy doing a static kneeling hip flexor stretch. Do I have a newer book and the chart is on a different page?

I'll continue to study and check back here often, as I've got a long journey ahead of me. Appreciate all the help this thread has giving me and others.

Also I guess I ordered my book at a bad time because I see now they are doing a promotion with free flashcards and I noticed a few of you guys talking about a DVD that was also provided. I just got a book, a backpack and a little welcome letter. If anyone who is done with the flashcards and dvd wants to sell it to me, I'd be interested.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by ASig3 View Post
    Whats up everyone?

Just got my textbook from UPS couple days ago. Just started studying yesterday.

Couple of questions as my minds just scattered all over the place right now.

I'm only on Chapter 2 - Basic Exercise Science. All this motor neurons and muscle fibers, the whole deal seems like so much. I'm having trouble getting a decent grasp on the knowledge on here. I'm taking notes but it seems like every other sentence I feel is important to write down and memorize.

Did anyone else feel the same way just the 2nd chapter into it?

I also see, not just here but other places people who have taken the test before to study page 169 which is a chart but in my book it's not really a chart but an image of a guy doing a static kneeling hip flexor stretch. Do I have a newer book and the chart is on a different page?

I'll continue to study and check back here often, as I've got a long journey ahead of me. Appreciate all the help this thread has giving me and others.

Also I guess I ordered my book at a bad time because I see now they are doing a promotion with free flashcards and I noticed a few of you guys talking about a DVD that was also provided. I just got a book, a backpack and a little welcome letter. If anyone who is done with the flashcards and dvd wants to sell it to me, I'd be interested.

Thanks again.

Hey man,

Here is the page 169 in our book. We mostly have the 3rd edition but you must have the new 4th edition.

http://nasm.org/uploadedFiles/NASMOR...,%2032K%29.pdf

Also Mikehayman , who has the 4th edition book as well had this to say about the charts in the fourth edition.

Originally Posted by Mikehayman
    In the 4th edition the Overhead Squat table is on page 133 and slightly varies from the table I posted a link too.
    "
    There are also tables on page 136 for the pushing assessment and page 138 for the pulling assessment.

Also don't fret too much about the flashcards , they were what I consider the worst study material and are digital anyway. Pm me and I could help you out with the DVDs though, as I consider them a must have .

And I am sure almost everyone felt that way the first time they opened their book , pretty soon though you will begin to develop a "fitness common sense" for it all and it will be very easy to absorb , just pace yourself it is all worth remembering.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

And to everyone , I cant believe how many people are making accounts just to post here , it is a honor and privilege for me to be able to help so many of you , good luck in all of your careers.

And those of you just reading, don't be afraid to jump in the conversations, we have a lot of knowledgeable members here . This one thread has helped 33 people pass NASM after all.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASig3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure if my computer is working properly but I shot you over a PM earlier today. I checked my PM "sent" folder but nothing shows. Lemme know if you received it or not.

Anyway thanks for the advice and this thread is much appreciated. Hopefully this won't be as tough as the first 3 chapters have seemed so far haha.

LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000) LoydChristmas is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Took the test this morning and passed on the first try! Thanks a lot for the info in this thread, it helped a ton.

Loriray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nasm help!!!

Hi brad is there anything you can email me so I can learn it instead of just memorizing am taking the test in 2 weeks and am not prepared n I keep running into your thread so hopefully you can help on assesments synergist etc
    Thank you