View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast
    Registered User shimmeringpearl's Avatar
    shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am reviewing muscle synergies and force-couple relationship and they seem to be the same thing? What am I missing making them different? Are force-couple relationships an example of muscle synergies? Or that synergies do not have to move around a joint?

Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000) Kataz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by shimmeringpearl View Post
    I am reviewing muscle synergies and force-couple relationship and they seem to be the same thing? What am I missing making them different? Are force-couple relationships an example of muscle synergies? Or that synergies do not have to move around a joint?
    Force-coupling is more of a broad term for the movement of joints. Agonists, synergists, stabilizers, etc are all involved in force-couple relationships because they all determine how a joint is moved. NASM uses force-couple's as a sort of segway to talking about things such as synergistic dominance which is an example of an abnormal or altered force-couple relationship.

Not sure if that helped?

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OK, first phase of study is over with. Finished reading the book tonight. 2nd phase goals is learning the functions and systems folks have posted on here as necessary. Goal is to take the test no later than Feb 18.

shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kataz View Post
    Force-coupling is more of a broad term for the movement of joints. Agonists, synergists, stabilizers, etc are all involved in force-couple relationships because they all determine how a joint is moved. NASM uses force-couple's as a sort of segway to talking about things such as synergistic dominance which is an example of an abnormal or altered force-couple relationship.

Not sure if that helped?
    Yes, TYVM.

Only one more week and this will be over for me. Still scoring in the 80's on my practice tests. I know what I need to study and just have to do it. The NASM U app is great for practice testing.

Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    OK, first phase of study is over with. Finished reading the book tonight. 2nd phase goals is learning the functions and systems folks have posted on here as necessary. Goal is to take the test no later than Feb 18.
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie581 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Has anyone bothered to use thePoint resource the book has at the first page? Just curious if it is anything to look into or not (i bought the package CPT Pro so i already have online resources i guess)

Slappy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Charlie581 View Post
    Has anyone bothered to use thePoint resource the book has at the first page? Just curious if it is anything to look into or not (i bought the package CPT Pro so i already have online resources i guess)
    I use it from time to time because of the search option. It'll highlight and tell you the section that particular word is in. Which makes it nice, so you don't have to skim the book if you can't remember where something was at. Or if you don't have your book or wanna take it with you, then it's basically a e-book.

Published Fitness Author Bradster101190's Avatar
    Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Charlie581 View Post

It is very useful if you are looking back for something particular and is easy to set up.( Just like Slappy said above me)

But a huge use for it is on the PES and CES certification(s) because they are open book. However It still does not do all the work because PES and CES questions are comprehension based ( not exact numbers usually ) .
    Fitness Author at Bodybuilding.com, T-Nation, EliteFTS
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com
    Read More Of My Work At: https://www.brad-kelly.com/recent-articles/

Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keep up the great work everyone!!!

Remember comprehension not memorization, use the apps if you can ( because the non official NASM one explain WHY you are right or wrong) and relax. By taking the time to view help online like this thread the battle is half way over, goodluck!
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

Thank you everyone! One last question, are the videos worth watching again as a pre-test review or is the information in them not sufficient for the test? I am getting upper 80's on the NASm practice tests but only upper 70's on Upward Mobility App. Some on the app questions are things I have never heard of and I can not find the tempo for pushing and pulling assessments in the new text.

BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you everyone! One last question, are the videos worth watching again as a pre-test review or is the information in them not sufficient for the test? I am getting upper 80's on the NASm practice tests but only upper 70's on Upward Mobility App. Some on the app questions are things I have never heard of and I can not find the tempo for pushing and pulling assessments in the new text.
    I am pretty much right around your same range for NASM and Upward Mobility and I take my exam on Tuesday morning. I'd say the NASM practice is probably more comparable to the real test so you're probably fine. But I could be wrong.

Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm going throught the same thing, I'm doing the Upward Mobility App, the practice test, some of the videos and I still don't feel ready, I'm concerned about the isolated functions, upper/lower crossed syndrome and overactive/underactive. I take the test on Tuesday, tell you then...

The text may be different from the app now. It never hurts to use it as a supplement. My husband told me to stop doing it bc the scores seem to be effecting my confidence.

Originally Posted by Sander1213 View Post
    I'm going throught the same thing, I'm doing the Upward Mobility App, the practice test, some of the videos and I still don't feel ready, I'm concerned about the isolated functions, upper/lower crossed syndrome and overactive/underactive. I take the test on Tuesday, tell you then...
    I think we will just have to get a good understanding of the chart and see where the patterns are. It is helping me to do the compensations and feel the muscles used.

Good luck to both of you!

`
    The upward mobility test is harder because it covers a HUGE variety of questions. Do study mode on it and what you miss it will explain why you missed it. . I actually maybe tested on that twice , just used it to study on the go .

I called NASM today ( however my main Representative who helps me was out of the office ) and they said the tempo is still in there .

It is 2/0/2 .

But when I get to talk to my main Representative I deal with I will ask him to email me a copy of all changes between editions ( which they have recorded accroding to the guy I talked to today) so we can update this thread 100%.

But I can safely say it is still about 90% the same. He said they mainly just added to the information ( so one new chapter pushed every chapter in the book back 1 so it is off for things like page numbers. )
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

If you do not feel ready call them and see if they can push it back a bit. This is something you don't want to rush into because retakes are expensive and you need confidence.

But good luck either way , you took the time to read and post here so I am sure you are decently prepared.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

The text may be different from the app now. It never hurts to use it as a supplement. My husband told me to stop doing it bc the scores seem to be effecting my confidence.
    I can safely say the upward mobility app on test mode is harder then the actual final exam because it covers a HUGE variety of questions. I recommend only using it in study mode and keep learning from it on the go .

Also do not worry about your confidence! You are obviously dedicated and know your stuff so just keep up the good work and soon you will be "overprepared"
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

I only do test mode because I find I am more lazy and less thoughtful when using study mode. However, I do go back and review what I got wrong in study mode and in the book. Got a 91% today on NASM U and am seriously considering calling in and taking the test now but I keep hearing Bradster's voice saying "If you learn one more thing that is one more thing you know that you didn't know before"

BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BadgerDave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys,

So I took my NASM exam this morning and I passed! Finally a certified personal trainer. It really wasn't that bad although a few questions were worded different. I just wish they gave you your actual score and not just a pass/fail when you leave the exam, but a pass will do for now!

Anyone else preparing for the exam: NASM U app definitely helped as a couple of questions on my exam I probably would have never thought to study if I hadn't seen them on NASM U. This thread was also helpful. But at the end of the day reading the whole text and understanding all the concepts is still the best tool. Regarding postural assessments and movement assessments, the overactive/underactive and short/long muscles are all really easy to figure out once you learn all the muscles, keep in mind that muscles can only pull and what the movement compensation or distortion is.

Just my two cents.

Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sander1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took my test today and I passed! I thank all the people that posted helpful information. THANKS!!!

benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) benz5521 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Once you pay for the test and book how much time do you have to take the test?

You have about 6 months to prepare for the test

Congrats to both of you!!!

You have about 6 months to prepare for the test

Congrats to both of you!!!

You are going to be fine, as long as you take the time to study, you'll pass. I was nervous but I took my time to read the questions, they can get tricky...

Good Luck to you!!!

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congratulations to all who passed!

I just scheduled my test for Tuesday. Hopefully, I'll become an official OFPT(Old fart Personal Trainer).

GriffOGriff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are going to be fine, as long as you take the time to study, you'll pass. I was nervous but I took my time to read the questions, they can get tricky...

Good Luck to you!!!
    Way to go! I am scheduled next Wednesday to take it. I have been studying "hit and run" style for the past 6 months and I am cramming the next 6 days. I have been a trainer for the last 4 years but I don't know how much of that will come into play as NASM has a specific way of doing things. I am taking a few days off just to study all day and try to grasp the concepts. I want to learn it, not just pass it. Congrats again! Griff.

I am not sure if the set up of the test has been discussed so I am going to throw it out there (you can find it in the handbook).

"Candidates must receive a scaled score of at least 70 to pass
    the exam. There are multiple versions of the examination. It is
    important that each candidate have an equal opportunity to pass
    the examination, no matter which version is administered. When
    there are differences in the examination difficulty, a mathematical
    procedure is used to make the scores equal. Scores are converted
    onto a reporting scale to ensure a common standard."

This means you can get 70 questions right and still not pass if they were all easy questions because they have a value of less than 1 (like .8). However, if you get 65 hard questions right you can still pass because the hard ones have a value greater than 1 (like 1.2). This is also why they will not tell you how many you got right because it is not an accurate indicator of performance. In the end, all that matters is that pass/fail. Once you pass take it and get started on your personal training path

I am actually excited about tomorrow at this point.

Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate2003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Saved for later,

I'm getting really interested in getting certified since I do love the gym and would love and alternative source of income on the side.
      |X|~DIRTY SOUTH CREW~|X|
     /*||*\ Horse Head Crew /*||*\
    ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ Random Crew ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ *RIP*

|||__,,__(ツ) __,,__|||
                         \   Y   /    
                              '  | '
                                  / \
                          _|         |_

Originally Posted by GriffOGriff View Post
    Way to go! I am scheduled next Wednesday to take it. I have been studying "hit and run" style for the past 6 months and I am cramming the next 6 days. I have been a trainer for the last 4 years but I don't know how much of that will come into play as NASM has a specific way of doing things. I am taking a few days off just to study all day and try to grasp the concepts. I want to learn it, not just pass it. Congrats again! Griff.
    Thank you Griff! Wish you the best on Wednesday!!! Sandra

I passed

I can not thank everyone enough for the support and tips. This is a tough test because of how questions are worded and the NASM U app really helped me with that. There is nothing I can add that is not here except to look in the handbook and look at the breakdown of the test sections(page 9-10). Also see how the sections of the book relate to other sections of the book (comprehension). Understanding the terms helps a lot when you have 2 seemingly possible questions. Also making sure you understand the question. There are some tricky questions and I made comments on them because I hope the test creators will see why they were confusing. I only had one isolated function question but the questions are random from a pool so you could get more than I did. There were a few questions from the NASM U app on the test or very similar questions. If you are using NASM U as a study help and get something wrong you may want to go back to the book to understand it a little more. For example: Which resistance training system is most efficient? a) horrizontal loading b) circuit training c) vertical loading d) Pyramid. I kept picking circuit training because what is more efficient than getting both cardio and resistance done?! It is wrong because circuit is not resistance it is cardio training but the app didn't explain that. That question is also a good example of making sure you understand the question being asked. A lot of those I would get wrong on the testing part of the app because I was only looking for one thing (efficiency) instead of the whole question (efficient resistance).

i passed

i can not thank everyone enough for the support and tips. This is a tough test because of how questions are worded and the nasm u app really helped me with that. There is nothing i can add that is not here except to look in the handbook and look at the breakdown of the test sections(page 9-10). Also see how the sections of the book relate to other sections of the book (comprehension). Understanding the terms helps a lot when you have 2 seemingly possible questions. Also making sure you understand the question. There are some tricky questions and i made comments on them because i hope the test creators will see why they were confusing. I only had one isolated function question but the questions are random from a pool so you could get more than i did. There were a few questions from the nasm u app on the test or very similar questions. If you are using nasm u as a study help and get something wrong you may want to go back to the book to understand it a little more. For example: Which resistance training system is most efficient? A) horrizontal loading b) circuit training c) vertical loading d) pyramid. I kept picking circuit training because what is more efficient than getting both cardio and resistance done?! It is wrong because circuit is not resistance it is cardio training but the app didn't explain that. That question is also a good example of making sure you understand the question being asked. A lot of those i would get wrong on the testing part of the app because i was only looking for one thing (efficiency) instead of the whole question (efficient resistance).
    congratulations!!!!