View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    Published Fitness Author Bradster101190's Avatar
    Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by globrad View Post
    I took the NASM 4th edition test at the testing center and did not pass. I read through the whole book, wrote down the definitions plus on note cards for six months. I went and took the test because I had no choice, my time was up. Took the whole two hours for the test. I knew I wasnt ready because my family demands so much of my time and just making the time just to study was hard. I am rescheduling the test which is another $200 but I have no choice in that matter because I have come to far now to give up. I am taking all the information you all are giving on studying and maybe I will pass this time, God willing. Thanks everyone!

As I said before failing the first time was the greatest thing that happend to me. If I did not fail I would have never got the drive to study harder, never met a lot of people and never made this thread.
    Fitness Author at Bodybuilding.com, T-Nation, EliteFTS
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com
    Read More Of My Work At: https://www.brad-kelly.com/recent-articles/

globrad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Bradster for taking the time to help others like myself.

Registered User shimmeringpearl's Avatar
    shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I took the NASM 4th edition test at the testing center and did not pass. I read through the whole book, wrote down the definitions plus on note cards for six months. I went and took the test because I had no choice, my time was up. Took the whole two hours for the test. I knew I wasnt ready because my family demands so much of my time and just making the time just to study was hard. I am rescheduling the test which is another $200 but I have no choice in that matter because I have come to far now to give up. I am taking all the information you all are giving on studying and maybe I will pass this time, God willing. Thanks everyone!
    Did they give you another time limit on the testing? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! As a homeschool mom I know (understand) the demands of family. I got a book for my daughter (7) this week on the body because she is facinated with the body. I noticed that a lot of the bones and muscles we need to know are in it so we are reading the book together and talking about how all the parts work together. Next week I am going to have the kids do the assessments and I am going to practice a program design with them and we can work it into their class schedule. Are your kids/family willing to participate with your study?

I can't post a link for the book but here is the info on it:

Body by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff and Richard Walker (2005, Hardcover) ISBN 9780756613716
    $0.75 + shipping on half dot com

You can look at it on Amazon and see what is inside

Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks Bradster for taking the time to help others like myself.
    Anytime, helping others is why I am in this business.

Originally Posted by shimmeringpearl View Post
    Did they give you another time limit on the testing? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help! As a homeschool mom I know (understand) the demands of family. I got a book for my daughter (7) this week on the body because she is facinated with the body. I noticed that a lot of the bones and muscles we need to know are in it so we are reading the book together and talking about how all the parts work together. Next week I am going to have the kids do the assessments and I am going to practice a program design with them and we can work it into their class schedule. Are your kids/family willing to participate with your study?

Body by Dorling Kindersley Publishing Staff and Richard Walker (2005, Hardcover) ISBN 9780756613716

That is a great tip! Thank you for all your contributions to this thread.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

Thank you SP! There was no mention of another time limit on the testing. I will look into getting the book you suggested, and see about getting my daughter to help me out with the assessments.
    I hate taking tests, I would rather get my tooth pulled then take a test. I over think everything and second guess myself. When I hear doctors talk about the body and exercises on tv, I know exactly what they mean but when it comes to this test, its another story.

URZARAGE7777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile new edition question

I got a question maybe you can help me out i have the third edition book, but on the NASM they are selling the new fourth edition do i need to buy that one now or i can keep studying the one that i have thank you for you time.

SH[/QUOTE]

shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by URZARAGE7777 View Post
    I got a question maybe you can help me out i have the third edition book, but on the NASM they are selling the new fourth edition do i need to buy that one now or i can keep studying the one that i have thank you for you time.

SH
    [/QUOTE]

I have both books and I think the model, formulas, assessments, anatomy, physiology, and most terms are the same. You could probably pass using v3 but there are new chapters in v4 and that is why I went ahead and bought it (I have 2 copies of v4 since I ordered my package and bought one to decide if I needed it or not). V4 can be ordered for around $50 on amazon and half . com. However, once you buy the book and pay for the test you are only saving about $50. If you use v3 then you save about $100 unless you need to test again-then a retest is $200. Also, when you get the package you get the online flashcards, videos, and practice tests. My advise: use v3 and learn as much about their OPT model, vocab, assessments, anatomy, planes of motion, etc and then order your package with the new book. You will save your 6 months for testing and be ahead of the game on study. V3 is pretty cheap used now, I think I paid $15 for mine to decide if NASM is what I wanted to do.

Bradster: you are welcome, let me know if I post too much.

I looked at the cd that came with the body book and it has a great feature where you can highlight a muscle and it tells you the name. Would be great for testing oneself on where all the muscles are.
    Last edited by shimmeringpearl; 09-05-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't afford to pay for the test and book at this point in time. But I did find V4 of the book on Amazon ($50+)so I can get busy studying it. I have to mix it in with my current curriculum and when the time comes to take the test (during the semester holiday break) I should have the money to just go and pay for the test. Book should be here soon.

Is that iPhone app the best way to get a feel for the way in which the questions are asked on the test or is there another free tool online that would be similar or better? Thanks.
    Weighed - 281 lbs on 1/1/2012

▪█───────█▪ 6 Weeks to Shred ▪█───────█▪

6-8: 230.4 | 6-15: xxx.x | 6-22: xxx.x | 6-29: xxx.x | | Month Total: x.x lbs
    7-6: xxx.x | 7-13: xxx.x | 7-20: xxx.x || Month Total: 0.0 lbs
    Final Total: xxx.x lbs

~NitrogenWidget's One Year in the Green Crew - Feb 2012-Feb 2013~ = 76 lbs lost

~Army Veteran Crew~

Skull: I am not sure about the test questions bc I have not taken the test but the practice exam questions and flashcards included with the program are pretty difficult. Somewhere in this thread there is a good example of how the questions are asked. The flashcards will say something like when x,y,z muscles are over/underactive it is indicated by _________. Or: During and overhead squat assessment the client has excessive forward lean which indicates _______.

Knowing the muscles and how they effect other muscles/parts of the body is where the money is here as well as knowing how to break the words down to get a clue about the answer. For example: Dorsiflextion and plantar flexion-we know from the dorsal fin of a fish that dorsal will be the top of the foot (being or located near, on, or toward the upper surface of an animal (as a quadruped) opposite the lower or ventral surface) and plantar is the sole of the foot. To flex is to close the angle (think flexing biceps). Dorsiflexion then is lifting the toes up-closing the angle between the foot and shin and plantarflexion is pointing the toes down-closing the angle at the heel. Another example is bicep-traditionally thought of in the arm but bicep femoris is is in the leg (femur) and BIcep means 2 (bi) heads of the muscle-because there are 2 heads you know there is a long one and short one. The quads are 4 muscles because quad means 4.

All that to explain that Bradster hit the nail on the head about not memorizing and being able to apply information. Once you understand where the muscles are and their job (isolated function) you can fairly easily figure out what the muscles asked about do when they are all involved in a movement. And he was also spot on about actually moving while studying the assessments and putting yourself in the improper postural positions. Once the terminology is down the dominoes start to fall.

Also, regarding v3 and v4 books: The v4 test questions are as follows
    25 program design
    20 training instruction
    15 basic applied sciences
    15 assessment
    12 considerations in nutrition
    10 client relations and coaching
    8 professional development

You can go to amazon and look at the updates in the new book by clicking on the "look inside" button and scrolling about 1/4 of the way down-after the code of ethics.

Oh, and do the free 3 day online trial so you can get the study guides

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Skull: I am not sure about the test questions bc I have not taken the test but the practice exam questions and flashcards included with the program are pretty difficult. Somewhere in this thread there is a good example of how the questions are asked. The flashcards will say something like when x,y,z muscles are over/underactive it is indicated by _________. Or: During and overhead squat assessment the client has excessive forward lean which indicates _______.

Knowing the muscles and how they effect other muscles/parts of the body is where the money is here as well as knowing how to break the words down to get a clue about the answer. For example: Dorsiflextion and plantar flexion-we know from the dorsal fin of a fish that dorsal will be the top of the foot (being or located near, on, or toward the upper surface of an animal (as a quadruped) opposite the lower or ventral surface) and plantar is the sole of the foot. To flex is to close the angle (think flexing biceps). Dorsiflexion then is lifting the toes up-closing the angle between the foot and shin and plantarflexion is pointing the toes down-closing the angle at the heel. Another example is bicep-traditionally thought of in the arm but bicep femoris is is in the leg (femur) and BIcep means 2 (bi) heads of the muscle-because there are 2 heads you know there is a long one and short one. The quads are 4 muscles because quad means 4.

All that to explain that Bradster hit the nail on the head about not memorizing and being able to apply information. Once you understand where the muscles are and their job (isolated function) you can fairly easily figure out what the muscles asked about do when they are all involved in a movement. And he was also spot on about actually moving while studying the assessments and putting yourself in the improper postural positions. Once the terminology is down the dominoes start to fall.

Also, regarding v3 and v4 books: The v4 test questions are as follows
    25 program design
    20 training instruction
    15 basic applied sciences
    15 assessment
    12 considerations in nutrition
    10 client relations and coaching
    8 professional development

You can go to amazon and look at the updates in the new book by clicking on the "look inside" button and scrolling about 1/4 of the way down-after the code of ethics.

Oh, and do the free 3 day online trial so you can get the study guides
    Thanks SP! Especially for the tip on the study guides. Waiting for access to the Learning Center now.
    Regarding muscles and functions I am well versed in them as I am studying for my Massage Therapy License currently. I probably know more about them than what this test entails such as all the origins and insertion points, bone markings and all. I already understand all the planes, directional movement terms such as dorsiflexion, lateral rotation, abduction, proximal, distal and so forth from my biology and anatomy classes.
    The big thing I see initially is the program design stuff. The "OPT" part of the equation. That for sure I will need to study and learn about. I get that it's not about memorization but truly understanding the material. To me, that goes without saying.

~Army Veteran Crew~

You have a great start knowing all the science! You will do great. The design is based on the assessments so you are already half way there. And if you know that much about the body then you will easily figure out the questions.

Thank you SP! There was no mention of another time limit on the testing. I will look into getting the book you suggested, and see about getting my daughter to help me out with the assessments.
    I hate taking tests, I would rather get my tooth pulled then take a test. I over think everything and second guess myself. When I hear doctors talk about the body and exercises on tv, I know exactly what they mean but when it comes to this test, its another story.
    You do have a time limit on the retest, I forgot what exactly it is but it is way longer then you need. If you need take a small break , then get right back on it while everything is fresh and you are in the NASM mindset. Good luck and thank you for joining the discussion here !

And you could never post too much Shimmering Pearl , thanks for all the help!
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

I probably am getting around 10 Personal messages a day from this now, which is great, but the main question people are asking is what order to study in. I think this would be a great way to do it based on all i have helped so far , and everyone's reactions.

1. Read The Books Chapter
    2. Watch The Video
    3. Take the test at the end of the video and then go back and take the test at the end of the books chapter.
    4. Make NOTE CARDS for every question you missed, what you think is important in that chapter and what you will likely forget.
    5. Put the note cards as chapter 1 note cards.
    6. As you do all the chapters, keep the note cards separated , then when you are entirely done making them, study them in each group , master that group of note cards( comprehend not memorize) then add in the next group. Master all of those together then add another group , and anther so on. Until finally all the note cards are together and you can get them all.

NOTE CARDS: Note cards work because it is information you did not know at one time , therefore once you comprehend that along with what you already learned you should be ready for the test. Making your own note cards is the real key in my opinion , because you fill in your own knowledge weaknesses.
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

[QUOTE=Bradster101190;944269973]You do have a time limit on the retest, I forgot what exactly it is but it is way longer then you need. If you need take a small break , then get right back on it while everything is fresh and you are in the NASM mindset. Good luck and thank you for joining the discussion here !

Hi Bradster, I get another 180 days. I have not called in the retest yet, I keep getting cold feet but I am. I keep putting it off. I'm buckling down this time and not letting my family distract me so much from what I am trying to achieve. I have to pass this time. I am just like where to start with studying this all over again.

schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just want to say thanks for turning me onto the upward mobility nasm app. I feel like that helped me a great deal.

I read the book once, went through the online portion once, went through the app probably five times and took the practice test four or five times. I started making flashcards of the app questions after the third time if I still didn't know them or wasn't sure why I knew them and I did the same during every practice test.

I think this helped me avoid memorizing the answers and I actually learned why I got them wrong. It's still really hard to learn absolutely everything so you'll still mark questions. I had 15 marked but I knew I passed so I wasn't worried.

I can't really add much except stress how good the app is, know movement compensations and make flashcards like everyone already said.

P.S. Get the app!

Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
    Just want to say thanks for turning me onto the upward mobility nasm app. I feel like that helped me a great deal.

I read the book once, went through the online portion once, went through the app probably five times and took the practice test four or five times. I started making flashcards of the app questions after the third time if I still didn't know them or wasn't sure why I knew them and I did the same during every practice test.

I think this helped me avoid memorizing the answers and I actually learned why I got them wrong. It's still really hard to learn absolutely everything so you'll still mark questions. I had 15 marked but I knew I passed so I wasn't worried.

I can't really add much except stress how good the app is, know movement compensations and make flashcards like everyone already said.

P.S. Get the app!
    Congratulations!

I also appreciate the back up on purchasing the app , I think it would very helpful to anyone
    Owner of Brad-Kelly.com

Hi Bradster, I just wanted to let you know that I ordered the retest this morning and I am back on it for studying for the exam. Thanks for all the info on here, and I will be using it this time. I'll need it to conquer this monster!

Finished reading the book. WOW...a lot of information to learn.

I have a question about the test: Are there questions about the 10 steps to making money (or whatever they call it) on the test? And, if it is on the test do we have to do math with it or are they just general questions? I just ask because the process they use it not the same process I would use but if I need to know their process for the test then I will learn it but if I just need to do math and come up with a number then I will just figure it out my way and use my time on something else.

Just a heads up that NASM has a 10% off code for 3 days. weekend10 is the code

schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) schmedes2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Finished reading the book. WOW...a lot of information to learn.

I have a question about the test: Are there questions about the 10 steps to making money (or whatever they call it) on the test? And, if it is on the test do we have to do math with it or are they just general questions? I just ask because the process they use it not the same process I would use but if I need to know their process for the test then I will learn it but if I just need to do math and come up with a number then I will just figure it out my way and use my time on something else.
    There's no math involved. It's just questions like, "Once you have figured out how much money you need to make every week, what is the next step in the process?"

Thanks!

DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great tips in this thread!! Taking my exam Tuesday!!!
    NASM CPT

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

My Bulking Log (5/3/1)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145897163&p=904713223&posted=1#post904713223

DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10) DixonCider is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Killed it!!!!! Only flagged two questions on the whole test!!! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!
    NASM CPT

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

My Bulking Log (5/3/1)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145897163&p=904713223&posted=1#post904713223

Originally Posted by DixonCider View Post
    Killed it!!!!! Only flagged two questions on the whole test!!! Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!!
    Way to go!! Any advise regarding the v4 test?

Way to go!! Any advise regarding the v4 test?
    Thanks!! I actually took the v3 test
    NASM CPT

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

My Bulking Log (5/3/1)

Freightdawg747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't know if it has been mentioned on here before but there is an IPad / IPhone app called NASM U......great study aid!! I used it to study for my exam in the final week.... questions very similar to the test.
    NASM- CPT, PES, CES

Congratulations! I just gained access today to the 3 day online trial. I am breezing through the material. Also my NASM book just arrived from Amazon today as well. If the test is like the learning activities after each module I should do pretty well as most of the science I already have a grasp of. Will be getting the iPhone app next.

~Army Veteran Crew~

Originally Posted by Skullster View Post
    Congratulations! I just gained access today to the 3 day online trial. I am breezing through the material. Also my NASM book just arrived from Amazon today as well. If the test is like the learning activities after each module I should do pretty well as most of the science I already have a grasp of. Will be getting the iPhone app next.
    Thank you! It wasn't near as hard as I was expecting. And I definitely recommend the app from upward mobility. the cheaper one has fake reviews!!

(they had mixed reviews for a long time then out of the blue they got like 40 five star reviews all on the same day just minutes apart lol
    NASM CPT

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

My Bulking Log (5/3/1)

Thanks!! I actually took the v3 test
    So they changed the book and not the test? That is good to know!

Get stronger every day DatdereCT's Avatar
    DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DatdereCT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just passed the NASM this morning! Add another one to the list of who Bradster helped... along with everyone else in here who helped. I start my job officially on Monday, so it is a good thing I got certified already!

Many of the advice and questions from here were on my test.. so those who are still studying be sure to pay close attention.
    NASM-CPT

Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot accomplish your goals.