Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000)

Virgin Coconut Oil - Perhaps the Healthiest Oil of All

Enjoy.

"Never before in the history of man is it so important to emphasize the value of Lauric Oils. The medium-chain fats in coconut oil are similar to fats in mother's milk and have similar nutriceutical effects."
    Jon J. Kabara, Ph.D.
    Professor Emeritus, Michigan State University

Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral and antibacterial. Studies have been done on its effectiveness in lowering the viral load of HIV/AIDS patients. Coconut oil is also being used by thyroid sufferers to increase body metabolism, and to lose weight. Virgin coconut oil is also used for making natural soaps and other health products, as it is one of the healthiest things one can put on their skin.

At one time coconut oil received negative press in the US because of its high level of saturated fat. However, modern research has shown that not all saturated fats are alike and that the fatty acids in coconut oil, the medium chain triglycerides, do not raise serum cholesterol or contribute to heart disease like the long chain triglycerides found in seed oils. Also, most research done on coconut oil in the past was done on hydrogenated coconut oil, which has been altered from its original form.

Much research on the nutritional and medicinal benefits on coconut oil has surfaced in recent years. Much of that research has been done by Dr. Mary Enig. Dr. Enig has classified coconuts as a "functional food," which provides health benefits over and beyond the basic nutrients. She has specifically identified lauric acid as a key ingredient in coconut products:

"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

As a "functional food," coconut oil is now being recognized by the medical community as a powerful tool against immune diseases. Several studies have been done on its effectiveness, and much research is currently being done on the incredible nutritional value of pure coconut oil.

If you'd like to learn more, I urge you to check out the web site: http://www.coconut-info.com

I honestly have never really used virgin coconut oil regularly (not to be confused with REFINED coconut oil), so I can not speak for its benefits, but I am certainly going to start implementing it into my diet.

Again, here are some of the benefits:

* High in Lauric oils - the medium-chain fats that are similar to fats in mother's milk, and therefore have the same benefits
    * anti-viral
    * anti-bacterial
    * anti-parasitic
    * stimulates the thyroid (raises metabolism)
    * A highly effective treatment for chronic fatigue
    * A highly effective treament for candida

I'm sure there are far more benefits then the ones I have already listed. Just thought you guys would find this interesting.

Later.

Hoch

HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000) HOCH is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anybody know if they say Virgin Coconut Oil in regular supermarkets?

Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blindfaith is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Isn't MCT oil the same??
    Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

The body cannot achieve what the mind cannot conceive.

Practice doesnt make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect

larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10) larky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i would be very careful taking that website's information at face value, since it seems to be from the coconut oil industry. the site then proceeds to cut down flax, soy, and then puts a link about how a guy found peace with the lord.

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up Anyone want to run an experiment

Thanks for posting the article! I was actually looking at some virgin coconut websites the other day. When tropical traditions restocks, I am going to try a bulk order from them.

I am with larky though about being skeptical. Most of the coconut industry websites have this info. Some of the claims on some sites are outrageous. Its like it is some panacea.

If anyone is interested, I plan on running a little experiment with coconut oil/milk/butter in large doses. It would be cool if several ppl wanted to try. Right now, all I have access to is Thai-kitchen coconut milk, so I'll be using that. I haven't really worked out the specifics yet, but I'll try to make it as structured as I can (basically keeping a diet log and making sure what I have is unrefined).

I am particularly interested in its metabolic/fatloss/energy producing claims. I'll see if I can dig up some reputable info on pubmed and see what my human metabolism text has to say about mct's. Other than the mct's in mrp's, I don't think a lot of bodybuilders have tried this.

Lol, I'll admit, I am just looking for a reason to use this stuff in bulk b/c I love the taste of coconut milk/butter etc. I am also looking for a keto replacement for all dairy products and this seems to fit the bill better than any one other substance.
    Our kind has never been seen before.
    And when the last of us are gone,
    We will never be seen again.
    Because there is a secret behind our creation,
    And secrets like this only come around once.

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    cool post, very interesting.
    If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cardinal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Okay, I found a few studies that seem to back up some of the claims in the article...

A comparison between MCT's and LCT's in weight recovery.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

And a couple more...
    http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/c...resourcetype=1
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Some potential lipolytic benefits
    http://highwire.stanford.edu/cgi/med...resourcetype=1

One comparing flax and mct's
    http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content...resourcetype=1

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cardinal, tell me what your experiment would entail...I'm currently bulking, so I could try the energy thing. I'm sure I could get some from the big health food store @ me.

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So if you eat coconut, you would be basically getting a decent amount of coconut oil, right? After all, since you are eating the whole, unprocessed coconut, there is not way that the oil in it is modified or refined. I'd rather enjoy a coconut than just take the oil as a supplement.

Originally posted by bkman4
    Cardinal, tell me what your experiment would entail...I'm currently bulking, so I could try the energy thing. I'm sure I could get some from the big health food store @ me.
    My goal is to get down around 10% bf. Right now I am around 13%. I would like to accomplish this eating near my maintenence level or a tad below.

My plan is to experiment using my usual low carb/ketogenic diet, but I will replace most of my dairy type saturated fat with coconut milk. Specifically I am thinking about....

~2800 kcals/day
    160-180 grams protein
    6-8 grams EPA/DHA from fish oil supplement
    ~30 carbs (not counting postworkout)
    A little over 200 grams fat/day
    At least 70 grams fat from coconut milk/butter etc.
    2 short carb based refeeds/week to maintain glycogen

I will adjust as necessary but won't go below 2500 kcals (roughly 14X bodyweight)

Keep in mind I have been dieting since february and am well below my setpoint. For the last month plus I have been using 1800-2300 kcals/day max (not counting refeeds). Progess has been slow but steady until a recent goofup on my part.

I'll keep a diet log and bodyfat/weight measurements. This is the best design I can come up with to see if there is any validity to the whole purported metabolism effect. I know there are too many variables to tell for sure, but it is the best I can think of offhand.

If you want to use it bulking, I think pretty much anything you want to try would give you some good info. Whatever, modifications to your diet you think would work best are worth a shot imo. I think one requirement though would be to supplement with it in appreciable quantities to show results. 1 tablespoon a day might not be enough...If you decide to do it, let me know how you are thinking about running it.

-Cardinal

Originally posted by Tim
    So if you eat coconut, you would be basically getting a decent amount of coconut oil, right? After all, since you are eating the whole, unprocessed coconut, there is not way that the oil in it is modified or refined. I'd rather enjoy a coconut than just take the oil as a supplement.
    That is certainly one option. To me the oil is the least appealing option. Coconut milk tastes far better imo as does unsweetened shredded coconut.

I would never really consider just taking shots with it like some people do flax oil.

I am thinking more along the lines of making Ice Cream with it. Possible ingredients include splenda, vanilla, cinammon, nutmeg, almond/cashew/peanut butter, and eggs.

I have tried mixing almonds, coconut milk, splenda, cinammon and nutmeg and allowing it to harden in the freezer. That is one good combo. Many other desserts are possible as well.

It could also serve as a substitute for any recipe calling for heavy cream or 1/2&1/2 etc. It makes a great creamed spinach by just adding garlic, coconut milk and a dash of parmesan. Good stuff.

Coconut oil/butter can sub for butter in a lot of recipes (but not all as some sites claim).

bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bkman4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ok, now I know what you are looking to figure out. If I get ahold of some I'll post what I do, and what happens. That would be a wonderful idea for keto, I'd want to know how it works out for you. I prob need to brush up on my MCT's but since they are used for energy so quickly and easily you might be able to eat more, caloricly and still loose fat.

I prob need to brush up on my MCT's but since they are used for energy so quickly and easily you might be able to eat more, caloricly and still loose fat.
    That is exactly what I am hoping for.

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    That is certainly one option. To me the oil is the least appealing option. Coconut milk tastes far better imo as does unsweetened shredded coconut.

I would never really consider just taking shots with it like some people do flax oil.

I am thinking more along the lines of making Ice Cream with it. Possible ingredients include splenda, vanilla, cinammon, nutmeg, almond/cashew/peanut butter, and eggs.

I have tried mixing almonds, coconut milk, splenda, cinammon and nutmeg and allowing it to harden in the freezer. That is one good combo. Many other desserts are possible as well.

It could also serve as a substitute for any recipe calling for heavy cream or 1/2&1/2 etc. It makes a great creamed spinach by just adding garlic, coconut milk and a dash of parmesan. Good stuff.

Coconut oil/butter can sub for butter in a lot of recipes (but not all as some sites claim).
    Your desert sounds like a good idea. I was thinking that even some fresh coconut with some slpenda sprinkled on it would taste really good.

Cardinal, where can I buy Coconut Milk? I might pick me up some of that.

Most major supermarkets carry Thai-kitchen brand coconut milk. It tastes good to me. It will be in the oriental food section or with the condensed milk products etc.

Edit: Looking at the jar, I think thai-kitchen could be sweetened some. It says three grams carbs per quarter cup and I can't tell if
    that is guar gum carbs or not. I'll check their website.

If you have a whole foods market or other health food store nearby you can find other brands too. Native forest is good (and unsweetened), but there are some that are not so great. Its cheap, buy several types.

I haven't tried but you can also make your own from fresh coconut by baking it.

bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bachovas is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    How did this go?
    "Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of." - Anonimus -
    "My mind is like a General. And my body's like an Army." - Herschel Walker -
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

Recovery is key. Massages, epsom salts baths, foam rolling, sleep masks, contrast showers, it all adds up. Get a foam roller, The Stick, a tennis/baseball, use them and stay healthy, pain and injury free.

Strong-Ass Jaw Crew user34566548717114's Avatar
    user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000) user34566548717114 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sounds cool, tell me how it works.......I am doing an experiment with CLA and bulking at the moment

but do tell me what you think of the cocconut experiment

stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealth114 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great post. I am very lucky to have access to fresh coconut and the virign oil as its abundant in the tropics. I now use it as one of my top supplements ,especially for cutting. Maybe I will be packing up a gallon to take to the UK since I only get it in caps there .
    I guess the old folks werent' as stupid casue they use coconut oil, milk in all their foods and swore to its great health giving properties. Even babies were lightly massages in it since it supposed to give a lustre complexion . I do think there has been alot of bad wrap with fats. Fats are not the enemy. Its the carbs as we all know. For me, 3-5 tabp of MCT;s coconut oil keeps me going when IM cutting.
    LIve,Love ,Laugh!

LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Coconut oil is very high in saturated fat. I'm very skeptical of this article, I have to say. Even if coconut oil does have some beneficial effects, I wouldn't go too far with it.

Originally posted by LordNeon
    Coconut oil is very high in saturated fat.
    So? Tuna is high in protein...
    Hit the Wall, Tear it Down!! - Wildman

LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LordNeon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So? Tuna is high in protein...
    Yeah, but protein is a necessity. There's no known human requirement for saturated fat, and it is shown to contribute to heart disease and such.

it is shown to contribute to heart disease and such.
    Really? I guess water does too??

Really? I guess water does too??
    Come on. There's been lots of studies linking heart disease to diets high in saturated fat.

I did a search on coconut oil info, and found some articles praising it and disputing this, but they were all from either fringe nutritionists or coconut industry sites.

It may well be beneficial, but I personally don't buy it yet.

Come on. There's been lots of studies linking heart disease to diets high in saturated fat.
    Doesn't make it true.

Doesn't make it true.
    No, but it makes it more believable. I haven't seen a lot of good research refuting it.

Like I said, it could all be wrong. But I wouldn't bet on it.

No, but it makes it more believable.
    Not really...crap is crap.

I haven't seen a lot of good research refuting it.
    Now THAT'S logic!

Not really...crap is crap.
    What's funny is you could post something like that, and then something like this ...

Now THAT'S logic!
    Logic? You're bashing research you didn't know anything about and insisting the opposite is true without much evidence, and attacking MY logic?

When lots of research shows A causes B, there IS better reason to believe that A causes B, even if it's not 100% certain.

It gets worse...

It gets worse...
    Dude, you're just trolling now. I'm through here.