Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

No need to wait.....get back in the gym! NOW!

A lot of you guys (and gals ) on here know me a little but this thread is really directed at the common thread that we see over and over on this forum....

The:
    "I was in shape in my 20's and have not been in the gym in 10 years...dont know where to start... can I still make gains at my age...etc ....
    Type thread.

Long story short......Get the heck back in the gym and you wont regret it!

I had been out for 15 years and then made it back in for about a year in 09...Then, unfortunately I was sidelined for about another year (wifes medical issues)....Now I'm back!

I'm only about 3 1/2 months back in the gym.....but I think proof positive that you can still do big things. I think this is even more true for guys that "paid their dues" in their 20's. Muscle memory is your friend. I really should be embarrassed that I did not do this earlier.

So to answer the threads....."can I still make gains....will I make progress...etc..."

My answer is YES!!!

Just for the hell of it, I made some side by side-s with some pics of me at 23 (not my biggest ever but only pics I have from back then.) A few months ago...I would have NEVER thought I would get in that good of shape again...

This is where I am after 3 1/2 months. I cant wait for the next 6 months...year...10 years!! I am BACK! And never going back to the fat out of shape...looks like...... a "former athlete" guy. I am looking forward to turning 40 in style! Cant believe that I stood on the sidelines for that long.

I hope that this give at least one other person the motivation to get back at it, as this forum has provided me with countless inspiration! There are some incredible people on this site who really helped me in achieving this (whether they know it or not!) I hope I can "pay-back" a little and help motivate another.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Getsum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Great post and you're completely right!

People need to start viewing themselves as a fine wine, getting better with age!
    Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!

OV35 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=388841&page=90

xccellence.com, theironden.com

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I remember in the mid 90s when those horrendous striped shorts were all the rage. Thank the gods those days are over.

Nice progress, ID.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Forgot to put a leg pic in there too!

I'm always suspect of people with top only shots. Put up or shut up...right?!

Yes....I've always had chicken legs...but it is not from lack of work! They are always a work in progress!

RAW lifts

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Very inspirational.

I took 7 years off and started training Jan/2010 at the age of 42.

But even in my 30's I had that piss poor "I'm old so I can lift heavy aymore" attitude.

I was squatting 4 plates at age 35 when I stopped training, and now I'm closing in on a 5 plate squat, which will be my best since 1993!

STFU & LIFT!

Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great stiff indeed. I too am back similarly, and am inspired by your then/now shots. I've been planning to take some 'progress' shots to show that like you I'm getting back in shape, and will do so.

amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10) amb96744 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I absolutely agree with your post! I didn't start training until I was 40. I had never played sports, never done anything athletic, and I have 3 kids. I never would have thought I could get as far as I've gotten at 44. I am in the best shape of my life and look better at 44 then I did at 24, 34, etc... and I don't plan to stop. It's all about the amount of work you're willing to do, consistency, and of course great nutrition - and you can start at any age and see incredible improvement if you put yourself to work!

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz

Thumbs up

Good job, young man!

Looking forward to seeing you even bigger and better in the next 15 years!
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

â–º â–º â–ºDirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts â—„ â—„ â—„ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Awesome! Hope I can be in that sort of shape when I hit 38 in three years! Been feeling sorry for myself about wasted time lately and this really helps. Thanks for posting.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great progress, I’ve never had to fall back on muscle memory as I didn’t start working out until I was 40 and never stopped.
    Even from that point I’ve surprised myself with the shape I’ve got myself into.
    It’s a real shame more mature people don’t work out, most of my friends aged about the same as me are letting themselves get into appalling shape.
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Very inspirational.

I took 7 years off and started training Jan/2010 at the age of 42.

But even in my 30's I had that piss poor "I'm old so I can lift heavy aymore" attitude.

I was squatting 4 plates at age 35 when I stopped training, and now I'm closing in on a 5 plate squat, which will be my best since 1993!

STFU & LIFT!

Awesome! That is moving some weight! I saw your squat in your profile pic!

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Great stiff indeed. I too am back similarly, and am inspired by your then/now shots. I've been planning to take some 'progress' shots to show that like you I'm getting back in shape, and will do so.
    Progress shots are really a motivator for me. It is amazing how you can see the differences as you change that you do not notice on a day by day basis.

Originally Posted by amb96744 View Post
    I absolutely agree with your post! I didn't start training until I was 40. I had never played sports, never done anything athletic, and I have 3 kids. I never would have thought I could get as far as I've gotten at 44. I am in the best shape of my life and look better at 44 then I did at 24, 34, etc... and I don't plan to stop. It's all about the amount of work you're willing to do, consistency, and of course great nutrition - and you can start at any age and see incredible improvement if you put yourself to work!
    Looking awesome!

Originally Posted by Runic View Post
    Awesome! Hope I can be in that sort of shape when I hit 38 in three years! Been feeling sorry for myself about wasted time lately and this really helps. Thanks for posting.
    I still have a ways to go too! Just wish I had done it earlier. I'm only on a three day split too and still making good progress. Gotta keep that balance between family time and self-time.

Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Good job, young man!

Looking forward to seeing you even bigger and better in the next 15 years!
    Thanks man! You are always an inspiration.

Originally Posted by clive View Post
    Great progress, I’ve never had to fall back on muscle memory as I didn’t start working out until I was 40 and never stopped.
    Even from that point I’ve surprised myself with the shape I’ve got myself into.
    It’s a real shame more mature people don’t work out, most of my friends aged about the same as me are letting themselves get into appalling shape.
    Looking awesome and proving the haters wrong. I am excited to turn 40 rather then many of my friends who almost view it as a death sentence. You guys prove that you can still look and feel great beyond that by far.
    RAW lifts

brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep.

Been on and off the horse so many times I am getting good at it (not a good thing!).

Not attaining perfection is no excuse for doing nothing.

Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agree with the OP!

+ Rep for having the courage to post a pic admitting he was a 90s fashion victim as well.

Originally Posted by brizey View Post
    Yep.

Been on and off the horse so many times I am getting good at it (not a good thing!).

No truer words have ever been spoken. I have friends that wont even TRY to do anything because they feel that they will not be able to do "x" "y" or "z". Actually a few are even hostile to the topic and criticize me saying...."Look, I'm not going to measure my food or prepare meals like you are doing".."I dont have the time for that". Instead they do NOTHING....It is really a shame.

On a positive note, my exercise karma is expanding. My 60+year old mom is down 30 lbs on a diet I set up for her. (5'1" started at 160, just passed 130!) Logging her food too! Got my sister doing it too. She is down 10lbs and building muscle doing mostly rowing and bodyweight exercises. I think my brother is hopeless though... Cant get him to do crap!

Originally Posted by Singe03 View Post
    Agree with the OP!

+ Rep for having the courage to post a pic admitting he was a 90s fashion victim as well.
    Yea....I deserve it. Too bad I didnt have any pics of those ugly wild print workout pants (MC Hammer style )

On a funny note....We moved recently and I found a pair of striped shorts just like the ones in the picture......As a joke, I just might put them on for some updated progress pics
    RAW lifts

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post

On a funny note....We moved recently and I found a pair of striped shorts just like the ones in the picture......As a joke, I just might put them on for some updated progress pics
    Reps if you do it.
    For what I don't know

Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Singe03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by brizey View Post
    Yep.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of my inspirational quotes.

There are not a lot of pictures of me from the late 80s and early 90s, I find one occasionally and literally from my hairstyle to my sneakers, I wonder what the hell I was thinking.

acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250) acwild has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Repped and congrats and thank for the inspiration!!!

GET WELL SOON to the Mrs!

I would like to ask, do you have a before photo of yourself 3 months ago? You look better now than you did 10 years ago (seriously) , what kind of shape were you in 3 months ago after that year long layoff?
    Taught by Dr. Squat himself back in the late 90s

ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    ISSA Certified Sports Nutritionist

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Reps if you do it.
    Thats a deal! At least I can black out my face still!!!

I found a matching tank too> Gotta coordinate

RAW lifts

Repped.
    For what I don't know

Repped.
    Crap! Now I guess I REALLY have too.....

Is a PM ok?
    RAW lifts

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    Crap! Now I guess I REALLY have too.....

Is a PM ok?
    I suppose the pic was enough.

Bad 80s and 90s fashion is always good for the lulz.
    For what I don't know

rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rutzilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I dare say your delts and arms are better now than back then

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    This was my attitude until recently. I went to a push-ups and pull-ups routine in the interim, but it feels good to be lifting again. In fact, I never outgrew the chest/arms mentality of my youth until January! I'm squatting (deadlifting too) for the first time in my life.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    honestly, u look better now...reps
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Originally Posted by acwild View Post
    Repped and congrats and thank for the inspiration!!!

GET WELL SOON to the Mrs!

I would like to ask, do you have a before photo of yourself 3 months ago? You look better now than you did 10 years ago (seriously) , what kind of shape were you in 3 months ago after that year long layoff?
    Dont have a good starting pic. Really did not want to take pics. I was just over 195 and about 17-20% BF. By calipers I was lower (15%, but I know I had a TON of visceral fat which does not show. This explains the 5" drop in waist. Here is a comparison pic from 09 which is probably close to what I looked like except probably not as muscular.

As for wife, she is doing great. Cancer scare but turned out to be a benign tumor deep in her pelvis. She is now fully recovered and we are happy to lead a very boring life for a while

You may not know, but what originally brought me back to the gym in '09 was I was almost killed in an accident and left with a broken neck and frontal brain injury. During my 12 week recovery isolated in an aspen collar 24/7, I went from 195 17-20% BF (untrained) all the way down to 170 aprox 20%BF. I was very depressed and vowed to live a better life and get back in shape. I dreamed every day of being able to lift weights again. I had been out of the gym for about a decade. That was my first comeback

Originally Posted by rutzilla View Post
    I dare say your delts and arms are better now than back then

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    honestly, u look better now...reps
    Thanks guys, it is true that others are often the best judges. I remember being about 10lbs heavier in those pics. I know my back was thicker...but I will take your word for the arms and delts! Funny how quick the arms seem to come back.

I did this three month comparison pic and was stunned at the difference in my arms.

Thanks again for all the support!

Last edited by induced_drag; 06-07-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    RAW lifts

Reps if you do it.
    Discdoggie.....I guess I better put up or shut up! You ask and you shall receive!!!

Prepare to be transported back to the 90's!!!!!

DISCLAIMER: Pics taken cold...no pump...had to get them off quick before my wife saw me in them and laughed her a@@ off!!!! She already makes fun of me for taking pictures of myself in the gym.

And a little comp shot....me at 23 and 38. 3 1/2 months into my comeback!
    RAW lifts

FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000) FishChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, I was in great shape when I was 18....

Let myself go.

Started dieting and exercising 20 months ago, and have made some really amazing progress > But still haven't set foot in a gym, and I don't plan to.

I HATE freaking gyms ! They stink. They cost money. They are full of distractions (which is all bad for somebody like myself with hard core AADD).

If I have to build my own gym 1 piece at a time, so be it. But when I finished, it will be MINE ! Nobody in my way. Nobody to distract me. No monthly costs. No motivation needed to > Get myself to the gym. I come home from work, and "I'm at the gym".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Anyway Induced, two things......

First off, you look freaking fantastic (no homo). But geeeez, even as ugly as I am, I never felt like I needed to cover my face Is your face really that much uglier than mine ?

Second, I think you would agree that "getting ones self back to a solid workout routine" is what matters. Whether it be at home, or a gym, or wherever... Just do it, right ?

Keep it up man, your obviously on the right track,
    Fish