Thread: Jumping Jacks?

Registered User RockVersusPaper's Avatar
    RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) RockVersusPaper is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Jumping Jacks?

Does anybody do them? It seems to me like they'd be a good cardio choice in lieu of running. Here's my logic: People can run for 20 minutes to an hour plus without stopping (not me of course, but many people can, even people who aren't in the greatest of shape), but can you imagine people doing jumping jacks for this duration? It seems unlikely.

Wouldn't this make jumping jacks harder and more intense at least in the sense of getting more bang for your buck when time is limited?

I'm currently testing out jumping jacks for a few minutes straight to get my muscles warmed up for weights (I used to just run for 10 minutes or so).
    I'm a really positive person, I guess you could say I'm a total optometrist.

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Spreading your legs while lifting your arms over your head is a fairly unnatural movement. It is difficult to imagine a situation where you need to do both at the same time. Consider jumping rope instead.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RockVersusPaper View Post
    Does anybody do them? It seems to me like they'd be a good cardio choice in lieu of running. Here's my logic: People can run for 20 minutes to an hour plus without stopping (not me of course, but many people can, even people who aren't in the greatest of shape), but can you imagine people doing jumping jacks for this duration? It seems unlikely.

Wouldn't this make jumping jacks harder and more intense at least in the sense of getting more bang for your buck when time is limited?

I'm currently testing out jumping jacks for a few minutes straight to get my muscles warmed up for weights (I used to just run for 10 minutes or so).
    Personally, I don't think it's an effective cardio movement.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) morphine13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Good if you are working out at home and don't have a treadmill for cardio. They aren't anyways harder than running.
    Irrespective of your question, the chances of getting " food" and " squat" as a response on this forum is 80%

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are light and healthy, it probably is not a big deal. If you are on the heavier side and grab an 8-12 lb dumbell in each hand, 50 jumping jacks can be a good start to a warm up.

Is it enough? That depends. There is a good chance that your calves will protest before the rest of your body is warmed up. But if you do three sets alternating between 50 dumbell jumping jacks, 20 clap-pushups, 20 bodyweight squats and 30 crunches, there is a good chance you'll be good and warmed up.

Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100) Dillza is not very well liked. (-100)
    Running over jumping jacks man. Maybe when doing warmups for legs or an outdoor circuit you'd do them, there just not effective man

ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50) ramekee will become famous soon enough. (+50)

i like to do them, but i do them when I'm not in the gym i also like to skip and jump rope and yes you are right the are harder then running on the treadmill, it gives you a more intense calve workout so does skipping and jump rope.
    Last edited by ramekee; 06-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.