MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Spot reduction & fat storage

I have long agreed that spot reducing is a myth, but i have asked this question and received the same answers over and over again: "Why am loosing weight everywhere but my love handles." The answer is always something like "stick with it, the love handles are the last thing to go".

People say that your body burns fat evenly all over your body. If this is true, why do people see a reduction in some areas quicker than in other areas. Some say that when you work a muscle it uses the fat closest to it. I have long believed this to be false, but playing devils advocate i pose this question: How does your body determine where to store fat? Is it evenly or does it go to the area where there is less activity? For example, most people store their fat around the waist. I can't even pinch the amount of fat on my lower legs and have minimal fat on my thighs, but i have a handful of fat over my lower abdomen. My legs are fairly muscular, does this not give credibility to the thought that the more muscle you have in a certain area will burn more fat in that area?

Thus, is spot reducing a myth or factual?

Would like to see this debated as well as see the answer on how the body determines where to store fat.

Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm no expert, but I believe it's genetic. I stored fat first in my midsection, then my legs, then my upper body and face. When I lost weight, it came off in the exact opposite order: face, upper body, legs, and then FINALLY started to come off my stomach and lower back.

I'm going to stick with spot reduction is a myth. Your body is going to store and use fat in some genetically predetermined locations, and everybody is different.
    = Misc Anxiety Crew =
    = Miscin From Work Crew =
    = Keto Crew =

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here, "huge success!"
    It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

You aren't in starvation mode
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_mode

MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10) MHSETRadTech is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Layziegtp View Post
    I'm no expert, but I believe it's genetic. I stored fat first in my midsection, then my legs, then my upper body and face. When I lost weight, it came off in the exact opposite order: face, upper body, legs, and then FINALLY started to come off my stomach and lower back.

I'm going to stick with spot reduction is a myth. Your body is going to store and use fat in some genetically predetermined locations, and everybody is different.
    Yes, genetics are responsible for where BF is stored, but there inlies the question: Why in that area? Why are you genetically predisposed to store fat here instead of there?

You said that everyone is different, while this is very true when talking about extremities, but everyone stores the majority of their fat in the mid section.

Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50) Layziegtp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MHSETRadTech View Post
    Yes, genetics are responsible for where BF is stored, but there inlies the question: Why in that area? Why are you genetically predisposed to store fat here instead of there?

You said that everyone is different, while this is very true when talking about extremities, but everyone stores the majority of their fat in the mid section.
    I think that in itself helps explain why abdominal fat is the last to go - because it's the first place the body stores it. I think that you are correct, and that universally applies to all humans. Men, women, children, and old folks alike. Perhaps that's why spot reduction isn't possible.

I suppose the only way to know for sure it to find evidence of spot reduction in action, and I've never seen anything like that before. Everybody just kinda has to go with the flow, and wait for those abs to come out. Consider it the prize for all your hard work. =P
    = Misc Anxiety Crew =
    = Miscin From Work Crew =
    = Keto Crew =

This was a triumph. I'm making a note here, "huge success!"
    It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

You aren't in starvation mode
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_mode

ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't have anything scientific for this but, my dr friends blame hormones (cortisol is one). Not that they are necessarily right but I just had lunch with a few and this was what they were in a heated discussion over. Obviously, us women need baby making fat in areas so I guess it made sense. Personally, I'm a global gainer and will evenly disperse from forehead to toes. Will be interested in answers and research...

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i guess the mid section has less mobility than the arms, legs, upper body. we constantly move the other parts of our bodies thus less fat storage. the mid section kinda just stays stable unless you do ab work.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    i guess the mid section has less mobility than the arms, legs, upper body. we constantly move the other parts of our bodies thus less fat storage. the mid section kinda just stays stable unless you do ab work.
    Well the way that you have stated this would give credit to the spot reduction theory. The more you work that area of the body the less fat that would be stored there.

I posted this same question on the fat loss forums and someone came up with the best theory i've heard.

Originally Posted by kmal2t View Post
    I would imagine its an evolutionary thing. Fat in your midsection cushons (sp) and protects vital organs as well as keeps them warm from the elements. Since its part of your body and not an appendage I would imagine its more accessable as well. Not to mention..think of logically. The same way you carry external weight..whats easier? Imagine if you had 5 lb dumbells hanging from every part of your body..that sounds horrible...as opposed to now where you have one area storing it condensly like a tightly packed backpack snugly fit on to your body. The stomach appears to be the most functional place to store excess fat.
    Mobility, or functionality for doing work. Storing fat near the bodies center of gravity would make the body more stable. I believe this is the answer i was looking for.

*correction to the misinformation in the quote* Visceral fat (internal) is to protect the organs. It's a totally different kind of fat than subcutaneous fat (external) which is what is covering our abs. Increase in visceral fat (central obesity) is usually caused by additional factors such as diabetes.