Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100)

Can't keep back straight on deadlift

NOW, BEFORE YOU COME TO ANY CONCLUSIONS, READ THE WHOLE THING, OR I'LL JUST IGNORE YOUR POST!

I'm having a problem keeping my back straight on deadlifts...the only way I can keep my back straight is if I grab the bar with just my fingers, instead of fully grasping it in my hands. It's almost like my arms aren't long enough, but I'm not sure. I'm 6'0" tall and fingertip to fingertip I have a 73" reach, so I dunno if that's what it is or not. I stretch my back every single day, but I just can't seem to get it down, and it's making it so I can't deadlift. It has nothing to do with the amount of weight, I am 100% sure on that part. Anyone else have this problem? I can't just never deadlift, as it is one of the most important lifts, but I know the different between soreness and pain. Any know?

The Midnight Milkman juicydanglers's Avatar
    juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    this is just a quick fix bt you could DL in socks if your not already doin
    They said you were done!

they said you had no chance!

will you sacrifice to win?

MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100) MURDR is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by juicydanglers View Post
    this is just a quick fix bt you could DL in socks if your not already doin
    Yeah, but I need a permanent fix, as I'm gonna be working out with my team in August.

EDIT: But thanks for not jumping the gun like most others and just saying drop the weight.

LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you keeping your shoulders back by squeezing your shoulder blades together? Are you sticking your butt out? If not then stick your butt out more and squeeze your shoulder blades together right when you're lifting the wait. That's how I keep my back straight, and if my shoulders start to come forward I know it's to much weight.
    I rep back whether you ask or not.

Reps for life:

rocketbulk
    PhiGreens
    BackToThePresent
    Cream3
    Devon501
    AlbertWesker

Originally Posted by LiamDwyer View Post
    Are you keeping your shoulders back by squeezing your shoulder blades together? Are you sticking your butt out? If not then stick your butt out more and squeeze your shoulder blades together right when you're lifting the wait. That's how I keep my back straight, and if my shoulders start to come forward I know it's to much weight.
    I could squeeze my shoulder if I could grab the bar without rounding my back....I'm not even talking about during the lift, even before the lift I can't keep my back straight while fully grasping the bar.

LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamDwyer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
    I could squeeze my shoulder if I could grab the bar without rounding my back....I'm not even talking about during the lift, even before the lift I can't keep my back straight while fully grasping the bar.
    Bend your knees more then and straighten your body as you lift the weight.

Reps for life:

rocketbulk
    PhiGreens
    BackToThePresent
    Cream3
    Devon501
    AlbertWesker

Originally Posted by LiamDwyer View Post
    Bend your knees more then and straighten your body as you lift the weight.
    Yeah, but I think I'm bending my knees the right length (I do it like in the Rippitoe video, with bar over the center of the shoe [including heel] and bending my knees until it's against my shins).

This is jsut really frustrating me, as I want to get stronger, but I don't want to throw out my back.

G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) G-ram7237 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're deadlifting 405 with your back not straight, you're gonna hurt yourself.. Lose a bit of weight, when you go down try to keep your chins perpendicular with the floor, and the bar should be grinding along your chins. Glutes tight, shoulders back, and chest out, keeping a natural arch in your lower back..

You'd have to have t-rex arms to not be able to keep your back straight if your form is proper

Yeah, but I think I'm bending my knees the right length (I do it like in the Rippitoe video, with bar over the center of the shoe [including heel] and bending my knees until it's against my shins).

This is jsut really frustrating me, as I want to get stronger, but I don't want to throw out my back.
    Well if you're keeping your shoulders back and your knees bent then what about keeping your head up? When I was first learning to keep my back straight during deads I would look up. That might help but otherwise I don't know man.

Reps for life:

rocketbulk
    PhiGreens
    BackToThePresent
    Cream3
    Devon501
    AlbertWesker

Originally Posted by G-ram7237 View Post
    If you're deadlifting 405 with your back not straight, you're gonna hurt yourself.. Lose a bit of weight, when you go down try to keep your chins perpendicular with the floor, and the bar should be grinding along your chins. Glutes tight, shoulders back, and chest out, keeping a natural arch in your lower back..

You'd have to have t-rex arms to not be able to keep your back straight if your form is proper
    Nope, losing weight isn't an option, I'm trying to gain weight (unless you meant drop weight off the bar, lol....but yeah, that's not the problem, the weight is pretty easy for me).

@Liam, yup, I look up as well, was always taught to on squat and DL.

I'll post a vid of me doing 295 or something...jsut one rep though because I don't wanna hurt myself.

Nope, losing weight isn't an option, I'm trying to gain weight (unless you meant drop weight off the bar, lol....but yeah, that's not the problem, the weight is pretty easy for me).

@Liam, yup, I look up as well, was always taught to on squat and DL.

I'll post a vid of me doing 295 or something...jsut one rep though because I don't wanna hurt myself.
    I don't know then bro. Someone will probably be able to help you once you post a vid though.

Reps for life:

rocketbulk
    PhiGreens
    BackToThePresent
    Cream3
    Devon501
    AlbertWesker

.Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's normal for your upper back to be rounded, but post vids so we can see exactly whats happening.

Here's a vid. I actually sat back more than I have been doing, and my back didn't hurt when I did this a few times (so that's obviously good), but I still want some critiquing. Once I get up to the top, you can't see, as no one is holding the camera, but I have no problems once I get it high enough to just use my glutes.

EDIT: And I know it looks like I'm lifting with my arms after I get it off the ground, but I can assure you I'm not.

Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Little_Moth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here's a vid. I actually sat back more than I have been doing, and my back didn't hurt when I did this a few times (so that's obviously good), but I still want some critiquing. Once I get up to the top, you can't see, as no one is holding the camera, but I have no problems once I get it high enough to just use my glutes.

EDIT: And I know it looks like I'm lifting with my arms after I get it off the ground, but I can assure you I'm not.
    Seems like you're not keeping your lower back tight throughout the entire motion. :/

Have you tried Sumo Deadlifts? They might change something, I tried them this week for the first time and I added 23lbs to my Deadlift with better form.

.Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try leaning back more.

JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you need to stretch yopur hips your not able to fully get your hips extended which is a major problem. This is very common just look up hip stretches on google or youtube. This is probably caused by you sitting all day at school.
    JonEboy's Project lose an Olsen twin http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137020023&p=730337353#post730337353

Originally Posted by JonEboy View Post
    you need to stretch yopur hips your not able to fully get your hips extended which is a major problem. This is very common just look up hip stretches on google or youtube. This is probably caused by you sitting all day at school.
    Nope, don't sit all day at all, especially since I've been out of school for 6 months. It has to be something else, as the most flexible part of my body is my hips, and I can even do the butterfly exercises completely (feet all the way in, head to foot, legs all the way pushed down).

I'll try and sit back more and replace this video.

How's this? I'm not concerned with my lockout, as when I actually try that, I can get it good, I'm just concerned about the lift up to that point. Sorry, don't know if the lift even looks different or not, and it's hard making adjustments without someone actually here helping me, so yeah...

You need to keep the weight closer to you by leaning back more. Try slightly lowering your hips, and pull "back"

JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) JonEboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by .Excalibur View Post
    You need to keep the weight closer to you by leaning back more. Try slightly lowering your hips, and pull "back"
    Yes stretch your hips lower so you can get the arch in your back. thats where its going to come from
    JonEboy's Project lose an Olsen twin http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137020023&p=730337353#post730337353

But wouldn't lowering my hips make it a squat basically?

But wouldn't lowering my hips make it a squat basically?
    It would make it more like a squat, but still a deadlift.

The way you are doing it right now is like a good morning. In order to keep your center of gravity balanced, and not fall over, you need to bend your back to bring the load closer to you.

If you lower your hips, you can keep your balance while keeping a normal back arch. And you should pull more weight.

Try pulling the bar towards you.

It would make it more like a squat, but still a deadlift.

The way you are doing it right now is like a good morning. In order to keep your center of gravity balanced, and not fall over, you need to bend your back to bring the load closer to you.

If you lower your hips, you can keep your balance while keeping a normal back arch. And you should pull more weight.

Try pulling the bar towards you.
    When you say closer, you mean actually during the lift, right? Because if you mean setting up, my shins are against the bar.

xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you say closer, you mean actually during the lift, right? Because if you mean setting up, my shins are against the bar.
    the bar should be touching your legs the whole way up

Originally Posted by xNick22x View Post
    the bar should be touching your legs the whole way up
    Well, in my case, it has to be a bit off, or else it'll get stuck on my braces...but yeah, I know I need to stay closer, just I can't have it touching all the way.

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lose the shoes and try keeping your hips a bit lower + initiating the pull with your legs at first; some people pull better this way.

If not, then just keep working at it. A neutral spine is better than an arched one anyway, IMO.

Originally Posted by DanielBeauchamp View Post
    Lose the shoes and try keeping your hips a bit lower + initiating the pull with your legs at first; some people pull better this way.

If not, then just keep working at it. A neutral spine is better than an arched one anyway, IMO.
    Well, I'm gonna be working out with my football team in August, and they workout in shoes, so I can't really do that, as I'll have to learn how to with shoes on. And how do you pull with your legs before your hips? My hips rise when I pull with my legs.

EDIT: Also, in that second video, was my back neutral or arched? I really can't tell.

xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xNick22x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I'm gonna be working out with my football team in August, and they workout in shoes, so I can't really do that, as I'll have to learn how to with shoes on. And how do you pull with your legs before your hips? My hips rise when I pull with my legs.

EDIT: Also, in that second video, was my back neutral or arched? I really can't tell.
    get some vibram fivefingers

edit: or some converse

Originally Posted by xNick22x View Post
    get some vibram fivefingers

edit: or some converse
    Well yeah, that would help, but I'd much rather work on my form than shoes I can't afford (college tuition).

NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickRATM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with this. You also said you got info from a Rippetoe video. I'd just like to add that he's also said that everybody's set up is going to be a little different due to the fact that we have different body types. So in your case you have to set up a little differently than someone like me whose knuckles are dragging on the floor lol.
    Bench - 125x6 / 225x5
    Squat - 145x5 / 315x5
    Deadlift - 195x5 / 365x5
    Pull Ups - 7 / 25

100m - ? / 11.5
    400m - ? / 0:55
    1mi - 7:45 / 6:00
    5k - 28:38 / 22:00

Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 170lbs