StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Does cutting calories too low cause depression?

I have never felt so depressed in my life with a psmf diet...However, it's working and I don't feel like I'm starving and I'm taking in atleast 160-200G Of Protein on the diet so I feel full all the time and since I'm doing IF basically I don't feel hunger since I know my meal is right around the corner at night and then I feel content. But, I never felt such depression on previous diets...

Is anyone going through a similar experience or does anyone know any studies done on this? I have done keto before and I felt fine; so I was thinking maybe my fat intake is low and maybe that affects depression? I would really like some info please. Thanks.

I mean I had a strange thought today to just go rent a house somewhere for three months and get away from people in my life... Why? I have no idea...

+Rep to all on recharge for help on the topic.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Cutting calories too low certainly leads to a lack of energy and sluggishness. Not too sure about depression and low calories. At a certain point, whats the difference between sluggishness and depression?

There have been studies linking depression to low fat diets though...

Are you getting 0.4 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass?

In the end, this is all about balance. Who wants to be thin, if you're depressed as heck about it? I'd prefer fat, dumb and HAPPY!
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Innerpeace32 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by StacksItRich View Post
    I have never felt so depressed in my life with a psmf diet...However, it's working and I don't feel like I'm starving and I'm taking in atleast 160-200G Of Protein on the diet so I feel full all the time and since I'm doing IF basically I don't feel hunger since I know my meal is right around the corner at night and then I feel content. But, I never felt such depression on previous diets...

Is anyone going through a similar experience or does anyone know any studies done on this? I have done keto before and I felt fine; so I was thinking maybe my fat intake is low and maybe that affects depression? I would really like some info please. Thanks.

I mean I had a strange thought today to just go rent a house somewhere for three months and get away from people in my life... Why? I have no idea...

Only poor diet causes depression. If you are hitting your macros, you shouldn't worry. I would change the diet if it's not working for you tho.

PS: Most likely you are not eating enough saturated fat or cholesterol.
    "Discipline is the act of learning all the time." J.K.

StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50) StacksItRich will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ejthomp View Post
    Cutting calories too low certainly leads to a lack of energy and sluggishness. Not too sure about depression and low calories. At a certain point, whats the difference between sluggishness and depression?

No, not even close to 0.4 grams per LBM.

So it really might be my fat intake, which is why I never felt depressed on keto...But this is just strange.

Thanks for your input, but sluggishness is being tired vs depression you go emo for no reason and I'm not a very emotional guy lol...

Does anyone have any articles about this?

kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kenpodragon has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Do you know your cholesterol levels? If you have naturally low cholesterol, you may be setting up a hormone imbalance in your body due to the lack of cholesterol. Cholesterol, despite its bad reputation, is a major ingredient in hormone production. Other things to check - types of fat and ratios of fats you are taking. Too little of one specific type can definitely have an effect.

Finally, go beyond the macros and look at actual nutritional content. Mood swings can also be caused by lacking in essential minerals and vitamins. If you are on an "extreme" diet, you could be seriously lacking some essentials - try adding a few multi-vitamins to your daily take and see if that helps.

Cholesterol Reference:
    Biochemistry: 3rd Edition, Baltimore: Lippincott, 2005, pp. 235-238.
    Cholesterol Regulates Glucose-stimulated Insulin Secretion through Phosphatidylinositol 4,5-Bisphosphate J. Biol. Chem. 2009 284: 29489-29498.
    Relationship of plasma HDL-Cholesterol to testosterone, estradiol, and sex-hormone-binding globulin levels in men and women. Metabolism. Volume 32, Issue 5, May 1983, Pages 428-432
    6-1: 242/ 23%bf | 6-10: 239 18% | 6-17: 239 18% | 6-24: 239.4 18% | Month Total: -2.6 -5%
    7-1: 235.8 18% | 7-8: 230.9 18% | 7-15: 223.5 30% | 7-22: xxx | 7-29: xxx | Month Total:
    8-5: xxx | 8-12: xxx | 8-19: xxx | 8-26: xxx | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 9-1: xxx

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

In the end, this is all about balance. Who wants to be thin, if you're depressed as heck about it? I'd prefer fat, dumb and HAPPY!
    He's doing PSMF, there's nowhere near that much allowed. I just started PSMF (on Day 4 of 30) and I haven't experienced any depression. However, I have done low fat (dumb) for extended periods of times and noticed the same thing. OP, PSMF is not meant for more than 2-6 weeks for Category II (16-25% BF) individuals, are you going longer?
    Barely decent crew

Originally Posted by cyco85 View Post
    He's doing PSMF, there's nowhere near that much allowed. I just started PSMF (on Day 4 of 30) and I haven't experienced any depression. However, I have done low fat (dumb) for extended periods of times and noticed the same thing. OP, PSMF is not meant for more than 2-6 weeks for Category II (16-25% BF) individuals, are you going longer?
    It's only my third day on it so I'm not sure why its causing me to be depressed. However, I'm planning on doing it for just the month of June.

I felt fine yesterday after eating chicken sausage the other night.

I just looked at my macro's for yesterday night....

192G Protein, 10G Carbs, 21G Fat
    - some Veggies

I'm starting to believe I have to increase a little bit more fat and cut some protein for fat. Yesterday I had flounder which is very lean and almost no fat. Yesterday I felt fine since I had previously eaten chicken sausage which has more fat.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll rep all on my recharge...I'm gone to try to add more fat to the diet def. Try to pick a fattier fish with protein.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I really don't think you can make any diet assumptions after only 3 days....

Your body can certainly handle just about anything for a week or two before you get some kind of imbalance strong enough to cause depression.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

I really don't think you can make any diet assumptions after only 3 days....

Your body can certainly handle just about anything for a week or two before you get some kind of imbalance strong enough to cause depression.
    I never felt like this; which is why I was so freaked out. However, right now I'm perfectly fine...

That's really strange idk maybe I should be more patient lol

The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The_Metal has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes, low fat intake contributes to a depressed like mood. I wouldn't call it depression, but I've read a few studies where fat intake plays a critical factor in mood.

Not to mention I experience it often, when I have a low fat intake I tend to be more negative about things.

cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cyco85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's only my third day on it so I'm not sure why its causing me to be depressed. However, I'm planning on doing it for just the month of June.
    Me too. I am already seeing progress... just gotta stay strong, haha
    Barely decent crew

DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10) DevilsOrchard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I experienced a similar feeling my first few weeks on PSMF. I think some of it had to do with the fact that I didn't get the enjoyment of eating food that I enjoyed. It left a big gap in my life. I got great results though. You've got to do what you feel, though. If you feel that depressed, up your calories a bit. You'll still get there, it will just take a little longer. Good luck!
    [5/11: 244.6] [6/11: 232.4] [7/11: 220.8] [8/11: 211.8] [9/11: ?] [10/11: ?] [11/11: ?]

Twelve Month Body Transformation Log (6/6/11 to 6/5/12):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135235041

TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TonyBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Look, if looking like a perfect model and male muscular celebrity was so easy and without any discomfort all people in this world would be physically perfect. But that's not the case. The truth is that when you eat in limited amount combined with a heavy weight lifting and aerobic program you will feel down at times. I think that the sympathetic nervous system will get tired and weaker so it's really harder to smile or to be hyper-motivated when you are in a weight loss diet.

I've read in muscle magazines that when bodybuilders are in pre-contest dieting phase they do get angry and mad at times and depressed. So depression, boredom, low motivation is a side effect of this a bodybuilding fat-loss phase

I AM A LEFTIST REALIST. AND ACCORDING TO MY REALISM, THE ONLY OPTION THAT MARXISTS HAVE IN 2012 IS RON PAUL. RON PAUL IS THE ONLY SOLUTION USA HAS FOR 2012. ALL LEFTISTS OF THE USA SHOULD SUPPORT RON PAUL. HE IS THE ONLY MESSIAH SAVIOUR USA HAS. WE HAVE 2 OPTIONS: RON PAUL OR DEATH. FOR MORE INFO ON THE COLLAPSE OF USA GO TO http://www.paulcraigroberts.org and http://www.informationclearinghouse.info !!

★Reaching For The Stars★ tominho7's Avatar
    tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000) tominho7 is just really nice. (+1000)

I felt fine yesterday after eating chicken sausage the other night.

I just looked at my macro's for yesterday night....

192G Protein, 10G Carbs, 21G Fat
    - some Veggies

I'm starting to believe I have to increase a little bit more fat and cut some protein for fat. Yesterday I had flounder which is very lean and almost no fat. Yesterday I felt fine since I had previously eaten chicken sausage which has more fat.

Thanks for everyone's help, I'll rep all on my recharge...I'm gone to try to add more fat to the diet def. Try to pick a fattier fish with protein.

Every time I tried to do a PSMF depression was always a guarantee. But results were always EPIC!!!!.

Stick it out for a few more days, but if the depression gets too much to handle increase your fat intake to about 45g/day. And do not forget to take your multi vitamins and fish oil
    Squatted Everyday For 100 Days In A Row

Thread for proof: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172233523

LulzYeah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do noticed about it too lately. Pretty sure it's not just because of lack of energy.

Don't worry OP, stay strong for yourself and you'll boost your mood when you think about how great you look after the cut .

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I never experienced any increase in depression while on a PSMF. I think it's coming from something else, stress should certainly get worse and you may have nights you won't sleep too great if at all.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.