phospodar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Gold's Gym coming to Westlake, OH - anyone joining?

Hi everyone. I'm a Clevelander, and I've worked out at Pro Fitness in Cleveland and Titan's Gym in Mentor. I got a flyer last fall saying Gold's Gym was opening up in Westlake, Ohio at Crocker Park. I was just finding out if any BB.com members were planning to join up there. I am, and I just figured we could talk a bit and see how we like it as it opens.

Also, any people who work out at Gold's in other states, what do you think of it? Pros/cons...tell it like it is!

"Charlie don't surf!" crazycelt's Avatar
    crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by phospodar View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm a Clevelander, and I've worked out at Pro Fitness in Cleveland and Titan's Gym in Mentor. I got a flyer last fall saying Gold's Gym was opening up in Westlake, Ohio at Crocker Park. I was just finding out if any BB.com members were planning to join up there. I am, and I just figured we could talk a bit and see how we like it as it opens.

Also, any people who work out at Gold's in other states, what do you think of it? Pros/cons...tell it like it is!
    Thanks for the update!
    "Perhaps I am stronger than I think."
    -Thomas Merton

TheSuaveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSuaveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSuaveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rumor has it Gold's is negotiating with the owners of Legacy Village (Lyndhurst) here on the Eastside. I belong to Fitworks, but would probably jump ship if Gold's does find it's way here.

crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000) crazycelt is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheSuaveOne View Post
    Rumor has it Gold's is negotiating with the owners of Legacy Village (Lyndhurst) here on the Eastside. I belong to Fitworks, but would probably jump ship if Gold's does find it's way here.
    That would be great!!
    -Thomas Merton

phospodar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheSuaveOne View Post
    Actually that is true. When I signed up at the Crocker Park location, they said that the Home Depot Expo Design Center at Legacy Village closed or was closing, and that they were going to build a second floor onto it and make it a Gold's Gym.

What is REALLY cool about that is I live by the one at Crocker Park, but work in Beachwood (right by Lyndhurst), so I can use both anytime, once they are open.

sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i am a manager with global fitness holdings, the largest franchise of gold's in the world... and the folks that brought that 3 story monster to crocker park. i came up there and worked the grand opening... what an amazing gym.
    Current Stats

5'10 225 pounds

Shoulders:
    Chest: 47
    Arms: 17.25
    Waist 40
    Wheels: 24.5
    Calves: 16.25

PR's

BB Bench: 315 (2006)
    Squat: 410 (2005)
    Deadlift: 515 (2005)

GorillaMcGee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by sutter cane View Post
    i am a manager with global fitness holdings, the largest franchise of gold's in the world... and the folks that brought that 3 story monster to crocker park. i came up there and worked the grand opening... what an amazing gym.
    That's funny. That seems to be all Global Fitness Holdings is all about: opening the "biggest and best" Gold's Gym franchises.

The flipside is that the corporate structure of GFH, llc. doesn't give a crap about their patrons once you sign up or keeping great employees in the fold. I ought to know. I watched the best of employees get canned unnecessarily or quit due to the frustrations of upper management not listening. I took the complaints and recommendations of members only to be told there was nothing that could be done, yet I had solutions that wouldn't cost GFH anything.

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from any GFH run Gold's franchises. I'm just hoping someone will read this and actually try to remember that you can make more money by trying to keep the members happy. Try to keep the members you have and you won't have to worry about the numbers crunch at the end of the month. I watched (not without effort) many walk away from Gold's due to things like the sudden childwatch fees and poor equipment maintenance. I once asked for more swiss balls at my location because we had ONE. Three months of asking and nothing.

All I'm saying is please do something about it. Even if your club is running well, the company as a whole is not. The hand doesn't work as well if a finger is broken.

Originally Posted by phospodar View Post
    Actually that is true. When I signed up at the Crocker Park location, they said that the Home Depot Expo Design Center at Legacy Village closed or was closing, and that they were going to build a second floor onto it and make it a Gold's Gym.

What is REALLY cool about that is I live by the one at Crocker Park, but work in Beachwood (right by Lyndhurst), so I can use both anytime, once they are open.
    I was informed that the Gold's Gym at Legacy Village is in the VERY early planning stages. It will be more than a year before anything is available.
    -Thomas Merton

captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) captainhorseboy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I live like 2 miles from that place, but I haven't been inside. From what I see it is mostly a cardio type gym. Is there a way to get a walkthrough and check it out? I work out in a small month-to-month gym in Rocky River that is only 25 dollars a month. It works well for me. I'm not sure if I'd want a 2 year minimum membership either. Should be a young crowd, since I'd imagine the older crowd will go to the Westlake rec center down the road since there's stuff for kids to do.
    Excuse me, your seatbelt seems to be broken. What do you recommend I do?

sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50) sutter cane will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GorillaMcGee View Post
    That's funny. That seems to be all Global Fitness Holdings is all about: opening the "biggest and best" Gold's Gym franchises.

The flipside is that the corporate structure of GFH, llc. doesn't give a crap about their patrons once you sign up or keeping great employees in the fold. I ought to know. I watched the best of employees get canned unnecessarily or quit due to the frustrations of upper management not listening. I took the complaints and recommendations of members only to be told there was nothing that could be done, yet I had solutions that wouldn't cost GFH anything.

I'm not trying to turn anyone away from any GFH run Gold's franchises. I'm just hoping someone will read this and actually try to remember that you can make more money by trying to keep the members happy. Try to keep the members you have and you won't have to worry about the numbers crunch at the end of the month. I watched (not without effort) many walk away from Gold's due to things like the sudden childwatch fees and poor equipment maintenance. I once asked for more swiss balls at my location because we had ONE. Three months of asking and nothing.

All I'm saying is please do something about it. Even if your club is running well, the company as a whole is not. The hand doesn't work as well if a finger is broken.

what is your experience with GFH?? employee, member?? we certainly keep GREAT staff... we have the best leaders in the business. and we are one of the most successful fitness companies in the world. i think there should certainly be a small fee for a 5,000 sq. ft. children's area complete with giant tv's, mcdonald's style playlands, xbox 360's, jr. sized workout equipment, kids bball court's, etc. those are wonderful ammenities. if a person wants a hole in the wall gym they can go to one. if a person wants a 10 million dollar facility it's going to cost them a little bit of money. still much less than the average american wastes on junk food and useless bs.

i stand behind this company all the way... and ive worked for several health clubs in the past...

GaryS62365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not sure about Gold's, but Titan is a sleezy operation

In January I signed up for a 2-year gym membership at Titan Gym. Before signing, the conversation went like this:

Me: I only want to sign up for a few months. I don't want to belong to a gym in the summertiime.
    Titan: You can suspend your membership over the summer months. (He volunteered this. I had never heard of such a thing.)
    Me: How does it work?
    Titan: Say you suspend it for 3 months. Then your expiration date gets moved back 3 months.
    Me: How do I do it?
    Titan: Just tell them at the front desk when you want to do it.

The ability to suspend is the only reason I signed up. Now they won't to let me suspend the membership for the summer, saying "It's not in the contract." They led me to believe that it's a normal part of belonging to the gym and then hid behind what's (not) written.

All my attempts at peaceful resolution were met by hiding, avoiding, and more lying. It would cost me more to take them to Small Claims Court than what the damages are (thankfully, a fairly cheap membership), so my only recourse is the BBB and writing reviews online.

Bottom line: they lied to my face just to get me to sign the contract.