DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sacroiliac Problems

Hello Everyone,

I've been having problems with my SI joint since about 2009. I strained really hard one day locking out a deadlift and felt uncomfortable for the rest of the day (with no real "pain" though).

Anyways, the next week on a warmup set I got owned by the pain out of nowhere. I worked around it for some time and it quit bothering me day-to-day, but my deadlift has never been the same. I've hurt it on warmups with like 275 even and it bothers me for a few days, maybe a week, then it's pretty normal. I can squat fine olympic style, do good mornings, rack pulls, rows, etc, but whenever I do conventional deadlifts it is aggravated.

I had it diagnosed here on campus, but since I'm an impoverished grad student with destitute parents I don't have any money to spare. I'd like to learn as much as I can about what to do to work around it or even fix it. I've been stretching, using the foam roller and tennis ball, but it doesn't fix what happens with the deads.

I've also been pulling sumo with no problems, but I'm much weaker that way. Does sumo fundamentally change the lift enough that I can feel safe doing them? Are there any other good resources for figuring out how to improve SI health?

Thanks!

DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrJanItor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Should also probably mention that I have very bad over pronation from flat feet, but wear chucks around with no orthotics.

nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nickloporchio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When I had an "si joint issue" I went to get adjusted and didn't get lasting relief.

I finally went to a GOOD Chiro, and he told me the if a chiro says that you simply have SI joint dysfunction, its a sign they aren't very good. He said theres always an underlying condition, usually a muscle imbalance or tightness that is causing the reoccurring injury.

for me, my problem was very tight upper glutes and hammies, I feel great now

go to a GOOD chiro, and have him check you out. sorry thats all the input i have lol
    My Powerlifting log-
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120681551

Nov 6, 2009 - 330/205/330 Raw @215
    Feb 6, 2011- 501/314/572 Raw @ 240
    August 6, 2011- 585/385/585 single ply @240
    Current Goal-
    245lbs 10% BF end of 2012

My ******** - http://www.********.com/nick.loporchio
    -UCLA Powerlifting-

Macko66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this thread is old but this might help future people with this problem. I 'pulled' a sacroiliac ligament in my back when I lost balance squatting and have been seeing a chiro for it. One cause of sacroiliac joint pain is often because people are longer in one side than the other, which creates an imbalance in the lower spine. Often people may vary 5 mm or so but I vary around a 1 cm which puts added tension on the ligaments.

Anyway, I made the mistake of leaving my back for a week untill I thought it had healed and then deadlifted - I realised on my first warm up set this was a big mistake. Because the sacroiliac ligaments are load bearing pretty much all the time, it takes quite a while for them to heal. If you want it to heal, you need to lay of exercises the stress the sacroiliac, such as deads, squats, leg presses, any standing curls, presses etc. When the ligaments get proper rest, they tighten up and this stabalises the joint. Over the last couple days I've started wearing a sacroiliac support belt. It cost 30 dollars, is simple and is making a difference already. Also, it doesn't have any possible rebound effects which will result in weaknesses from use. I recommend getting in to see a chiro pronto with lower back pain. The sooner the better because a good chiro can sort out imbalances effectively before they cause more enduring damage.
    "Put me in the hole gave me cold cuts, did pushups untill I swole up" 2pac (when i get free)