Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CLA results?

JayDawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

CLA results?

Has anyone here seen any significant results from using CLA or would i be better off trying something else?

So whats the verdict here?? Should i spend my money on this stuff or not?

dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're likely to get mixed reviews on this compound. I, myself say use it with better efficacy prediction if in appropriate quantity which will be weight-adjusted so it likely comes down to weight (volume of distribution).

D_
    Dana Houser, MD, MHSA, CISSN
    Industry Author & Product Development Consultant

---------------------------------

Please visit me at the "Ask Dr. Houser" subforum at www.leanbulk.com/forum.

For FREE Newsletter...send blank "SUBSCRIBE" email to askdinoiii@hotmail.com

Please do NOT email in regards to scripts or consults. Advice provided in my posts is for informational purposes ONLY and NOT meant to take the place of your own EXAMINING physician!

I <3 Osteo-Sport TheUnlikelyToad's Avatar
    TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    You're likely to get mixed reviews on this compound. I, myself say use it with better efficacy prediction if in appropriate quantity which will be weight-adjusted so it likely comes down to weight (volume of distribution).

D_
    How bout Layman's terms and general guidelines on weight dependent dosing? (if that's what you mean)
    Xtreme Formulations
    Representative

||Bringing my a-game since '00||

yea what he said. I weight 198 how much should i be taking?

dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000)
    just because I was asked nicely by the toad fellow...

http://forum.anabolicx.com/index.php?showtopic=1317

D_

Please do NOT email in regards to scripts or consults. Advice provided in my posts is for informational purposes ONLY and NOT meant to take the place of your own EXAMINING physician!

I <3 Osteo-Sport TheUnlikelyToad's Avatar
    TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheUnlikelyToad is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

D_
    Wow, thats some good **** right there!
    Xtreme Formulations
    Representative

||Bringing my a-game since '00||

Yes, dinoiii deals the good stuff - umm fatty acids of course.

D_

cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cosmo34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    So whats the verdict here?? Should i spend my money on this stuff or not?

So far so good. I'm taking CLA and Universal's Supercuts and through around 3-4 weeks, I've lost about 7-8 lbs.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would place Fish Oil, and Sesamin far ahead of CLA. Some people see results, many do not.

Even at doses of 9 grams a day for 2 weeks, I saw nothing.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

Back from 2 year break! Atheimetal's Avatar
    Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Atheimetal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    CLA or Thermo CLA? I took both, thermo was for fat LOSS (thermogen) and CLA was to prevent fat expansion. On workout days I would take CLA in the morning and thermo before a workout, on off days I would take CLA in the morning and before bed. (you can take thermo all the time, but it costs more than CLA)

I saw very good results from the two at the beginning of my cut, I may invest in a bottle of CLA for my bulk now that I think about it to try to cut down on fat gain.. but we'll see.

Personally, I liked them both.

Working on leaning out... BostonGeorge's Avatar
    BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50) BostonGeorge will become famous soon enough. (+50)

D_

Great Article, Thanks!!!!

+reps

Originally Posted by Lonny View Post
    I would place Fish Oil, and Sesamin far ahead of CLA. Some people see results, many do not.

Even at doses of 9 grams a day for 2 weeks, I saw nothing.
    Well, in the name of EFA - I too would place them far ahead of CLA [insert ad for Vaporize here so thanks! lol - mind you all that this was an unpaid endorsement - HA!]

But CLA is tricky - there can ONLY be suggestion of RANGES of actual pertinent isomer vs. the suggestion of ad commonplace today as for companies not getting the chemistry as I mentioned in the link above.

All that said - I haven't an idea of what brand you took, the isomer concentration, nor if I am certain CLA is a "two-week" kind of thing but adipocyte size controller - again, combined with guarana is a different scenario, which doesn't sound like this is how you went about it.

I still suggest CLA to have very REAL effects when dosed accordingly and from the right source [stick with Tonalin].

D_

Originally Posted by BostonGeorge View Post
    Great Article, Thanks!!!!

+reps

Glad you liked it. I hope others find benefit as well. This is an area of all-too-commonly forgotten supplementation these days in lieu of the latest and greatest PH/PS/AAS or whatever - tis a shame, because it plays a by far more important role.

D_

Thats alot of research. I am going to the vitamin shop at lunch so. at 198lbs I should be taking 10-12g per day. which is about 10-12 pills. can I take 6 w/breakfast and 6 w/lunch? You said the effects are amplified with the addition of guarana but there is no real way to combine the 2?

Thats alot of research. I am going to the vitamin shop at lunch so. at 198lbs I should be taking 10-12g per day. which is about 10-12 pills. can I take 6 w/breakfast and 6 w/lunch? You said the effects are amplified with the addition of guarana but there is no real way to combine the 2?
    You can take guarana + CLA, I meant there is no real way to combine them in one pill for processing reasons - not that you can't take the two. In fact, I encourage it - the results of the studies are too interesting to deny.

D_

How much guarana do I want to take with each serving of CLA?

Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000)

BUMP!

Couple replies in rapid-fire response mode:

1. guarana - start with recommended dose on container [if tolerance yet to be assessed and you are NOT familiar with stims, start at roughly half]

2. not seeing "results" in the particular supplements to me should NOT include any/all CLA supps as they are BY FAR all NOT Created equal and I have had many the debate with various company owners about this very little pertinent fact....study results and this is ANY/ALL were done with Tonalin brand and NOT soomeone's suggestion of a 90% whatever....

In addition "results" would likely hinge closely on expectation - many don't remotely use it at high enough a dose for long enough a time then claim bogus - well, I'm calling bluffs - seriously on this one.

D_

What would you say is a resonable amount of time before determining if it is working for you 6 weeks?

If you're dosing appropriately - then yeah ... 6 weeks should be rather significant. However, there is a lot of information that suggests longer-term lower dosing may have benefit as well.

Let's consider the most recent study:

40 overweight adults 3.4 g per day over 6 months of CLA or Safflower (safflower was considered the "placebo" in this study).

CLA group: DEC 2.2 pounds body fat
    Safflower group: INC 1.5 pounds body fat

(1) Subjects were NOT even on a caloric-restricted diet OR controlled exercise program
    (2) Duration was over the holiday season where many people have 2-5 pound weight increase

Watras AC, Buchholz AC, Close RN, Schoellar DA. (2006). Conjugated Linoleic Acid Reduces Body Fat and Prevents Seasonal Weight Gain Among Overweight Adults. 2006 Experimental Biology Meeting Abstracts. The FASEB Journal; 20(4): Abstract ID 386.9

--> yes, it was 6 months, but the dose was only 3.4 grams. People tend to assume this to be the dose and then don't see something in like 2-4 weeks and write it off...the fatty acid is crap. This fatty acid is FAR FROM THAT - don't write it off...get as cheap a Tonalin-containing brand as is possible for sincerity of a trial and dose it accordingly if expected to have results (according to the dosing schemes I have suggested for quicker than 2 months - and added guarana to potentially eliminate adipocytes --- read: fat cells).

D_

SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How much guarana do I want to take with each serving of CLA?
    It says 250mg with each CLA but only take it before 1-2pm

SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

D_
    Amazing article.

I think that was the only long ass article that has ever kept my interest long enough for me to read the entire thing.

I was a little confused on the sesamin / guarana ordeal though.

You only suggest these two for Fatloss, not for Mass building. Why is this? Sorry if I just didn't understand it in the article.

I have been "bulking" for the last 6 months, and have put on a lot of muscle, but more fat than I'd like. While I still wish to gain strength and size, I need to lose some fat. Are sesamin and guarana not good for this?

Originally Posted by SmallStrength View Post
    Amazing article.

I think that was the only long ass article that has ever kept my interest long enough for me to read the entire thing.
    You haven't read my stuff long enough to realize there is so many ways to get out quality info while keeping the reader's interest.

But thank you very much for the props.

I was a little confused on the sesamin / guarana ordeal though.

You only suggest these two for Fatloss, not for Mass building. Why is this? Sorry if I just didn't understand it in the article.

I have been "bulking" for the last 6 months, and have put on a lot of muscle, but more fat than I'd like. While I still wish to gain strength and size, I need to lose some fat. Are sesamin and guarana not good for this?
    Acutally, I have suggested in a thread over on the MAN forum how you could use Sesamin in a more nutrient-partitioning role than is usually suggested. Find that one here:

http://www.manupdb.com/viewtopic.php?t=848

It used to be thought that one of the isomers in CLA would promote muscle gain, whereas the other one would promote fat loss - I, myself am not necessarily even sold on the muscle gain per se, outside the fact that a particular level of fatty acid need be available to support the appropriate anabolic environment (androgen precursor, et al).

All of the respective fatty acids have their roles, your fatty acid regime more than anything should be tailored towards what you want to do. What I don't recommend is adding in the guarana in a proposed mass attack for that "article" (kind of just playing a member of a round table though, not really an actual article - will be doing those MUCH more in the coming months).

Sorry I haven't really posted a lot on bb.com since an article series of mine crept over here about 2 months ago...it has been rather hard keeping up with all of the slews of boards at your disposal since that time.

D_

dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000)

D_
    Good stuff D. I think I'm one of the few people that still support CLA on this board.

Oh CLA + Fish Oil + Sesamin is a great stack.

rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    bump, must read at home
    Make it a great day!

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, in the name of EFA - I too would place them far ahead of CLA [insert ad for Vaporize here so thanks! lol - mind you all that this was an unpaid endorsement - HA!]

But CLA is tricky - there can ONLY be suggestion of RANGES of actual pertinent isomer vs. the suggestion of ad commonplace today as for companies not getting the chemistry as I mentioned in the link above.

All that said - I haven't an idea of what brand you took, the isomer concentration, nor if I am certain CLA is a "two-week" kind of thing but adipocyte size controller - again, combined with guarana is a different scenario, which doesn't sound like this is how you went about it.

I still suggest CLA to have very REAL effects when dosed accordingly and from the right source [stick with Tonalin].

D_
    It was VPX Thinfat, which is Tonalin. I was taking it twice of the 3 doses daily with caffeine (I don't know why you say specifically guarana). I wasn't using it as an "adipocyte size controller" since I was cutting and had no need to prevent them from growing.

2 weeks wasn't a long enough time frame to get a truly accurate measure of effectiveness, but I had run a bottle of CLA at 3 grams a day for a month a few years ago, and after seeing no results from it I wanted to take another approach.

Im not ready to completely rule CLA out as being completely worthless, but most people should be supplementing with Fish Oil, and then Sesamin before CLA if it is results that they want.

EDIT

Just one more thing to add, after using MCT oil pre-workout the past few weeks while going low carb, I have found it to be really effective and fueling early morning on an empty stomach workouts. Just another fat I would value far ahead of CLA.
    Last edited by Lonny; 02-06-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Lonny says

Originally Posted by dan7681 View Post
    Good stuff D. I think I'm one of the few people that still support CLA on this board.

Oh CLA + Fish Oil + Sesamin is a great stack.
    Well, at least we can together spread the good news.

lol

I think it really comes down to a communication issue really. I am all about educating what studies really say, and how people can subsequently make them work in their own diets (the "real world" if you like) and through simple communication, not an ad campaign.

I certainly am NOT one to come on here and tell you the results will be like ephedra -or-clen...nor would I say it matches PH-style results, but there are ABSOLUTE INTRICACIES and IMPERATIVE THINGS that you can do to make supplement strategies act as just that - adequate "supplements" to proper/sound dieting.

Those that are looking for a fixtures to a crappy existence (read: sh*tty diet, et al) will NOT find it in my words - I don't have the answers on how to make the calories from that pizza you ate "go away" - and to that, I am sorry.

ok, I am done now...

D_

Just read the AE link you posted Dino and will need to read the other links and your other work.

I find I agree entirely with your stuff and found it a really good read. The only difference between our opinions is on the matter of CLA.

Lonny says

It was VPX Thinfat, which is Tonalin. I was taking it twice of the 3 doses daily with caffeine (I don't know why you say specifically guarana). I wasn't using it as an "adipocyte size controller" since I was cutting and had no need to prevent them from growing.

2 weeks wasn't a long enough time frame to get a truly accurate measure of effectiveness, but I had run a bottle of CLA at 3 grams a day for a month a few years ago, and after seeing no results from it I wanted to take another approach.

Im not ready to completely rule CLA out as being completely worthless, but most people should be supplementing with Fish Oil, and then Sesamin before CLA if it is results that they want.

EDIT

Just one more thing to add, after using MCT oil pre-workout the past few weeks while going low carb, I have found it to be really effective and fueling early morning on an empty stomach workouts. Just another fat I would value far ahead of CLA.
    hey there Lonny,

I am hoping you weren't offended by anything I said. I am still offering support of CLA and for far different reasons than I would suggest MCTs, but let me get to that in a second because you said some things that I think would add significant value to the discussion.

First
    I am unaware of which VPX product you speak - their old true CLA formula or the new one (the latter of which is a CLA plus formula - that was actually a down grade IMO). There are all sorts of issues that came out of the old formula because believe it or not CLA remains a calorically-dense item and taking those spoonfuls from the former version was a challenge to adequately measure.

As far as MCTs: these officially saw the light of day in development as caloric-sources for people with pathologic conditions that didn't allow normal absorption and utilization of long-chain fatty acids.

The problem that was discovered with these fatty acids in body composition domains is that you have to dose them super high to see the results you want...in fact, they don't possess thermogenic benefit unless they represent > 30 % of the total caloric tallies for each day (this translates into ingestion of about 45 grams of MCTs on a 2000 calorie diet...GOOD LORD) -uuuuummm, recall what I said above and if you think that CLA is not cost efficient dosing it as high as I have suggested, you will see MCTs are by far worse - plus its a difference between a polyunsaturate (CLA) and a saturate (MCT) which offers again another rationale of why and/or why not...but that is well beyond the scope of this thread.

This is my take but I am always welcoming of different thoughts...

I won't argue with anyone though - simple discussion

D_