Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CLA results?

Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Revolver45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Even though Nutrabolics is kind of a 4-letter word on this site, they do have a good product called superfats that has CLA, Sesamin and Pine Nut Extract in it. I decided to try it since at the time I didn't have any access to pure sesamin supplements and I found it to be a good product, though I did have to take more than the recommended serving to see results.
    Blue jays/Spartans/Colts

dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000) dinoiii is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Lonny View Post
    Just read the AE link you posted Dino and will need to read the other links and your other work.

I find I agree entirely with your stuff and found it a really good read. The only difference between our opinions is on the matter of CLA.

As an absolute aside Lonny - hehe...you may find my YN log for controlled labs' product rather interesting...I just happened to catch your signature.

You can find it within the D. A. (see signature on AX) "reviews" section of their forum.

D_
    Dana Houser, MD, MHSA, CISSN
    Industry Author & Product Development Consultant

---------------------------------

Please visit me at the "Ask Dr. Houser" subforum at www.leanbulk.com/forum.

For FREE Newsletter...send blank "SUBSCRIBE" email to askdinoiii@hotmail.com

Please do NOT email in regards to scripts or consults. Advice provided in my posts is for informational purposes ONLY and NOT meant to take the place of your own EXAMINING physician!

Not-a-Lifer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Not-a-Lifer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is a great thread. I have been taking CLA ( Now 800mg cap, 4.8g a day )Since Jan 1. Honestly I haven't noticed any real change. After reading the awesome article Dino put out, I believe I am selling my self short on the recommended dose.

I was looking at the Now CLA Extreme:
    http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?ac...&item_id=43748
    It has 750mg CLA per Cap plus 75mg Guarana per. I would have to take 18+ a day to match my 235 lbs... But I do like the natural type of supp it is.

Any thoughts on it?

Calories 10
    Calories from Fat 9
    Total Fat 1 g 2%*
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g †
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) 10 IU 33%
    Chromium (from Chromium Picolinate) 100 mcg 83%
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) (in a Safflower Oil Base) 750 mg †
    L-Carnitine (L-Carnipure®) 100 mg †
    Guarana (Paullinia cupana) (Seed) 75 mg †
    (Standardized Extract) (Contains 15 mg of Caffeine)
    Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) (Leaf) (Standardized Extract) 50 mg †
    (min. 40% Polyphenols and 30% Catechins) (Contains 2 mg of Caffeine)

dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Not-a-Lifer View Post
    This is a great thread. I have been taking CLA ( Now 800mg cap, 4.8g a day )Since Jan 1. Honestly I haven't noticed any real change. After reading the awesome article Dino put out, I believe I am selling my self short on the recommended dose.

I was looking at the Now CLA Extreme:
    http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?ac...&item_id=43748
    It has 750mg CLA per Cap plus 75mg Guarana per. I would have to take 18+ a day to match my 235 lbs... But I do like the natural type of supp it is.

Any thoughts on it?

Calories 10
    Calories from Fat 9
    Total Fat 1 g 2%*
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g †
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol) 10 IU 33%
    Chromium (from Chromium Picolinate) 100 mcg 83%
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) (in a Safflower Oil Base) 750 mg †
    L-Carnitine (L-Carnipure®) 100 mg †
    Guarana (Paullinia cupana) (Seed) 75 mg †
    (Standardized Extract) (Contains 15 mg of Caffeine)
    Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) (Leaf) (Standardized Extract) 50 mg †
    (min. 40% Polyphenols and 30% Catechins) (Contains 2 mg of Caffeine)
    From my personal experience I found 6-9 grams to be the most beneficial dosage for me.

Look over the thread dinoiii posted a link too on the first page. It goes over various dosage schemes dependent on bodyweight that will offer more insight.
    Last edited by dan7681; 02-06-2007 at 12:46 PM.

dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000) dan7681 is just really nice. (+1000)
    D, I just read over your recommended fat loss programs and found it quite interesting that through both of our independent research we came to very similiar conclusions on dosage schemes (actually it's very reassuring to see this)

Your recommednation was:
    150-170 pounds: 2 grams combined EPA + DHA, 8-10 grams CLA, 500 mg Sesamin 3 times per day

Which is pretty close to my dosages I used at 160-180 lbs
    1.8 grams combined EPA + DHA, 6-9 grams CLA, 500 mg Sesamin 3 times per day

One thing I'd like to say about the stack in general is you shouldn't expect results to be as powerful as say clen and perhaps EC (although don't get me wrong this stack does lead to very good results from my experience). But what really shined through for me was it's effect on overall body composition, mood, and energy levels (not from a stimulant standpoint but from a point of overall energy and lack of lethargy). Which I think we can all see would be very beneficial during cutting. It's value increases greatly in my eyes given the fact it's best to cycle off stimulant fat burners (it can also be used in conjuction with a stim although cost becomes a concern, perhaps using at a lower dosage when used in conjuction would be best?).

I'm also a big fan of variety when it comes to protein, carb, and fat sources. These supplements give me another way of varying my fat sources which has a high amount of importance to me.

Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000) Lonny is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dinoiii View Post
    hey there Lonny,

I am hoping you weren't offended by anything I said. I am still offering support of CLA and for far different reasons than I would suggest MCTs, but let me get to that in a second because you said some things that I think would add significant value to the discussion.

First
    I am unaware of which VPX product you speak - their old true CLA formula or the new one (the latter of which is a CLA plus formula - that was actually a down grade IMO). There are all sorts of issues that came out of the old formula because believe it or not CLA remains a calorically-dense item and taking those spoonfuls from the former version was a challenge to adequately measure.

As far as MCTs: these officially saw the light of day in development as caloric-sources for people with pathologic conditions that didn't allow normal absorption and utilization of long-chain fatty acids.

The problem that was discovered with these fatty acids in body composition domains is that you have to dose them super high to see the results you want...in fact, they don't possess thermogenic benefit unless they represent > 30 % of the total caloric tallies for each day (this translates into ingestion of about 45 grams of MCTs on a 2000 calorie diet...GOOD LORD) -uuuuummm, recall what I said above and if you think that CLA is not cost efficient dosing it as high as I have suggested, you will see MCTs are by far worse - plus its a difference between a polyunsaturate (CLA) and a saturate (MCT) which offers again another rationale of why and/or why not...but that is well beyond the scope of this thread.

This is my take but I am always welcoming of different thoughts...

I won't argue with anyone though - simple discussion

D_
    The Thinfat I used was the original and not the new formula. This could be an issue.

My point about the MCT's simply to say that in my experience, someone who was cutting may benefit more from them than CLA (and not for the reasons you outlined, rather just as a fuel source). Im speaking from a much different standpoint from you.

I am curious why you recommend guarana specifically.
    Don't Support Companies that are suing me!!

Lonny says
    "Supplement your weakness"

SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

Not-a-Lifer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Not-a-Lifer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just got some more CLA... this time the Extreme stuff with the guarana in it...and no for some proper dossages. Thanks again

rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    is Thermo-CLA an actual product? or is it a combination of products?

thanks.
    Make it a great day!

ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10) ERCVGII is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Didn't work for me.
    About my rep: I was the christian in an atheist post :D

100% rep and neg return.

OVT Training FTW!

rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000) rsarno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just because I was asked nicely by the toad fellow...

http://forum.anabolicx.com/index.php?showtopic=1317

D_
    Can someone do me a favor and copy/paste the text into a post here? My job is blocking the site.

Thanks, reps for the effort
    Make it a great day!

ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lonny View Post
    I would place Fish Oil, and Sesamin far ahead of CLA. Some people see results, many do not.

Even at doses of 9 grams a day for 2 weeks, I saw nothing.
    at 6 grams a day for 1 month on a ketogenic diet i lost 10lbs of fat and my bench press went up 10lbs while squat increased 20lbs
    This is the God
    This is the Gun
    One is for killing
    One is for fun

Originally Posted by ericpeavey View Post
    at 6 grams a day for 1 month on a ketogenic diet i lost 10lbs of fat and my bench press went up 10lbs while squat increased 20lbs
    CLA by itself? or other products stacked?
    Make it a great day!

ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ericpeavey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rsarno View Post
    Can someone do me a favor and copy/paste the text into a post here? My job is blocking the site.

Thanks, reps for the effort
    i'm putting it in a nevv topic
    This is the God
    This is the Gun
    One is for killing
    One is for fun

esed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i bought a bottle of gnc thermo cla but i read up some disturbing. from dietspotlight website

"Conjugated linoleic acid may effectively assist in the reduction of body fat. Unfortunately, one of the side effects to linoleic acid is that it can result in insulin resistance, which may increase the risk for developing diabetes."

has anyone read about this b4?

dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000) dsade is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by esed View Post
    i bought a bottle of gnc thermo cla but i read up some disturbing. from dietspotlight website

"Conjugated linoleic acid may effectively assist in the reduction of body fat. Unfortunately, one of the side effects to linoleic acid is that it can result in insulin resistance, which may increase the risk for developing diabetes."

has anyone read about this b4?
    This is more of a concern for the regular fatty with standard crappy western diet thinking that CLA is a magic bullet that will melt 50 pounds off of them.

Insulin resistance in fat calls is actually desirable to some extent.

I keep saying, CLA is effective IN A STACK - but don't expect much as a standalone.
    "Blood, Sweat, and Tears doesn't mean crying while you struggle to put your tampon in." ~dsade

ThermoGum...Just Chew It!

---ACCELERATED gains * increased MASS = unstoppable FORCE--- Know your physics for maximum performance.
    "Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk" -Tom Waits

"The only question is...which is to be Master? That is all." - Lewis Carroll

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand

Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just because I was asked nicely by the toad fellow...

http://forum.anabolicx.com/index.php?showtopic=1317

D_
    Your link takes me to the forum homepage, im assuming because im not registered. If I found the right article, it states:

Fat Loss Programs:
    < 150 pounds: 2 grams combined EPA + DHA, 500 mg Sesamin 3 times per day
    150-170 pounds: 2 grams combined EPA + DHA, 8-10 grams CLA, 500 mg Sesamin 3 times per day
    170-200 pounds: 10-12 grams, 3 grams combined EPA + DHA, 1000 mg Sesamin 3 times per day
    >200 pounds: 12-14 grams, 4 grams combined EPA + DHA, 1500 mg Sesamin 3 times per day

Since the '>200' range doesnt list CLA, ill assume the "12-14 grams" is recommended CLA and not a total fat intake? Or is it total leaving 3.5g-5.5g for CLA?

Why not CLA listing for '>150 pounds'? Just curious.

Any preferred dosing times for the CLA? At meals with fish oil?

I seem to remember a large perk of taking fish oil was to balance out the 3-6-9omegas since the western diet often leads to an imbalance. CLA is omega6 correct? Will adding CLA in a large amount such as you recommend imbalance the 3-6-9 ratio further and offset some of the perks of taking omega3's?

Also, NOW's CLA( http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/cla.html ) appears to be the same composition as tonalin. Do you still feel tonalin is a safer bet simply because its what some studies used?

Thanks for humoring all my questions!!
    Last edited by Alphy; 06-08-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    **Fav Sup Companies**
    Athletic Edge Nutrition
    Fusion Bodybuilding
    NOW Foods

Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump for answers
    **Fav Sup Companies**
    Athletic Edge Nutrition
    Fusion Bodybuilding
    NOW Foods