Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    To start the next cycle if you were failing to complete every set of a given exercise then you reduce the weight by 30 pounds for week 1 for work out 2 only.

You should never be failing to complete the reps on work out 1.
    all pro - I am confused by the above... (Intermediate 1)

- Week 3, workout 2: I fail to get 5 reps in ALL 3 sets...

- Week 4 (deload)

- Week 5, workout 1: same weights as week 3 workout 1
    - Week 5, workout 2: reduce weights by 30lbs that were used week 3 workout 2

- Week 6, workout 1: Do I use the same weight as per week5 workout 1?

Registered User MrOlympiaof2020's Avatar
    MrOlympiaof2020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOlympiaof2020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOlympiaof2020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by muscleman17 View Post
    oh man well we will see ha i like going 3 times a week. idk we will talk later baout all this and asnwer questions i have to work.
    You know, deadlifting, frequency, training ideology is heavily debated. I dont think there is any one great formula that works.

I know that most great deadlifters, were already inherently strong at that lift without training it or very little to begin with.

Research would indicate that you can have a great deadlift and NEVER deadlift. There is a study that was done at the 1968 Olympics where the weightlifters were tested concerning their overall strength/ speed with regards to only weightlifting movements.

What was found, is that the weightlifters JUMPED Higher than the HIGH JUMPERS and that the weightlifters were FASTER than the sprinters at the Olympic training center. WOW!!

What this also tells us, is that because the Olympic lifts, snatch and clean and jerk, and associated training movements of these athletes yields greater watts of energy than squatting or just deadlifting alone, that there is great benefit to doing these movements.

I think that by just adding GOOD MORNINGS and Working some hang cleans, power cleans, and doing some secondary pull movements (as in the snatch at the secondary stage, would greatly enhance a persons ability to move greater weight in the deadlift.

It is said, that weightlifters that can clean in the 300-350 range, and never deadlift, can pull 600 lbs deadlift without any problem, and yet never deadlift. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I believe the watts generated during a deadlift is under 800 watts. Adversly, the watts generated in the secondary pull of the snatch is over 3,000 watts. Even at lighter weight, the benefit ratio is ENORMOUS.

Something to think about guys

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    all pro - I am confused by the above... (Intermediate 1)

- Week 3, workout 2: I fail to get 5 reps in ALL 3 sets...

- Week 4 (deload)

- Week 5, workout 1: same weights as week 3 workout 1
    - Week 5, workout 2: reduce weights by 30lbs that were used week 3 workout 2

- Week 6, workout 1: Do I use the same weight as per week5 workout 1?
    Yes.

RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Intermediate 2
    All Pro Split
    5 week cycle
    A
    Bench Presses do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8 Do 2 warm up sets. 25% of the work set weight for 15 reps and 50% of the work set weight for 10 reps.
    Bent-Over Rows do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8
    Overhead Barbell Presses do 2 work sets rep scheme 6-7-8-9-10
    Barbell Curls do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Tricep press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Hammer grip dumb bell press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Pull down do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12

B
    Squats do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8 Do 2 warm up sets. 25% of the work set weight for 15 reps and 50% of the work set weight for 10 reps.
    Leg extensions do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Leg curls do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Calf Raises do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
    Seated calf press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
    Add ab work
    If you get all of the reps on week 5 add 5%
    That should get you started. I would do this A/B/A then B/A/B until you come up to speed. Then try 4 work outs per week. A-B off. A-B off off.
    Question for when I finally get around to this routine. I understand that you choose a weight that you can get the middle number of reps in the depicted rep scheme. But do you choose a weight that you can get the number of reps for all the sets required or do you use the max weight you can get the required number of reps on the first set? Should the rest intervals allow you to get the same number of reps for the second, third, fourth sets? This question actually also applies to the beginners' routine.

Thanks.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RippedShreds View Post
    Question for when I finally get around to this routine. I understand that you choose a weight that you can get the middle number of reps in the depicted rep scheme. But do you choose a weight that you can get the number of reps for all the sets required or do you use the max weight you can get the required number of reps on the first set? Should the rest intervals allow you to get the same number of reps for the second, third, fourth sets? This question actually also applies to the beginners' routine.

Thanks.
    Rep max weight for the middle number. You don't want it to be to easy do you?

Registered User MrOlympiaof2020's Avatar
    MrOlympiaof2020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOlympiaof2020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrOlympiaof2020 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im thinkin of doin the 8 rep build to 12 then try a max set for everything and start again with 8 reps up... im takin too much time of the gym do to lack of energy from so many ME workouts

Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000)
    Work out 2 sets the stage for the next week. The final set you are testing for a 15 rep max weight. Use the results for however many reps you get to estimate your 5 rep max. That's the weight for the 3x3 sets of the first work out. The 3x6 you use 10% less weight. The assistance work is the same idea. If you can do 15 reps then reset the weight to your 10 rep max. I know, I know, this is different than what I posted but it's simpler. What I posted works great when I'm training a hard core iron head one on one. But it ain't going to cut it long distance over the internet. My fault and I apologize. I should have thought about that before posting that version. If you follow what I posted here it will keep you pushing from start to finish but it's a hell of a lot easier to set up. Just make sure that week 4 is a deload to avoid problems.
    A simple deload for work out 1 is to do 6 sets but for the 3x3 portion use the weight from the 3x6. For the second work out reduce the weight by 25% and do 15 reps. You'll know if you got it right because you will feel supercharged for the next week!
    I've missed 3 workouts now. My grandpa had been very ill, was in the hospital for 5 days and passed away Sunday. We buried him Wed. Its been a rough week.

Anyway, I'm still looking over some things with #4.

After this week, I really need to bust up on a rough program to relieve some stress. I'm gonna try it.

all pro, I think I've got it except what I put in bold about deload, workout 2. I'll be doing how many sets for 15 reps?
    ~Moosifee~

"Yes, if you squat wrong it f**ks things up. If you squat correctly, those same f***ed-up things will unf**k themselves." -- Mark Rippetoe

(Cycle 3 : all pro's 636)

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just finished my 4th week of workout #2....

Can I just say the rep progression for leg extensions (8, 10, 12, 15, 20) is absolutely friggin' brutal?

Ouch.

Deviant Motive, My condolences on your loss; that's pretty rough to go through.

RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RippedShreds has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nah never that lol. I'm a beginner though so I just wanted to be sure. Wasn't sure if it's reasonable to expect someone to get their max weight for however many reps for one set on a second set. Let alone a third & a fourth. But I trust you already know this to be the case. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Deviant Motive View Post
    I've missed 3 workouts now. My grandpa had been very ill, was in the hospital for 5 days and passed away Sunday. We buried him Wed. Its been a rough week.

Anyway, I'm still looking over some things with #4.

After this week, I really need to bust up on a rough program to relieve some stress. I'm gonna try it.

all pro, I think I've got it except what I put in bold about deload, workout 2. I'll be doing how many sets for 15 reps?
    Just 1. It's a deload of sorts.

Originally Posted by RippedShreds View Post
    Nah never that lol. I'm a beginner though so I just wanted to be sure. Wasn't sure if it's reasonable to expect someone to get their max weight for however many reps for one set on a second set. Let alone a third & a fourth. But I trust you already know this to be the case. Thanks again.
    It isn't reasonable. Failure is imminent. You will be repeating weights. Each time through it your trying to get a few more.

purebodystrife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) purebodystrife has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's a 5 week cycle. Each week you increase by 1 rep. If you get them all increase the weight by 5% and do it again. The starting weight is the rep max for the middle of the rep range. 6, 10 or 12 depending on the exercise.
    Dude, thanks for the help and this is a great thread. You are basically the man.

Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thedogdidit View Post
    Just finished my 4th week of workout #2....

Can I just say the rep progression for leg extensions (8, 10, 12, 15, 20) is absolutely friggin' brutal?

Ouch.

Deviant Motive, My condolences on your loss; that's pretty rough to go through.
    Thanks for the condolences.

And yes, that rep progression is brutal. My freaking legs burned so bad, I could only grunt and yell until I got finished.

Just 1. It's a deload of sorts.
    Thanks, I thought that was correct.
    ~Moosifee~

"Yes, if you squat wrong it f**ks things up. If you squat correctly, those same f***ed-up things will unf**k themselves." -- Mark Rippetoe

I just finished up workout 1 of intermediate #4 - 636.

Not bad. not bad at all.

I enjoyed it. I was a little shocked that it took roughly 50 min to complete. If you look at it on paper, it doesn't seem like it would take that long since you are doing only squat, bench & rows but the sheer volume of reps/sets, along with proper rest in between, brought it to that time frame for me. I did throw in some ab work so that pushed it to over an hour workout.

I did make it through without any problems even though I have a cold, running a fever and have been consuming massive amounts of alcohol for the last 3 days.

Still feels weird not doing any assistance work for workout 1.

I'm looking forward to Thurs/workout 2.
    ~Moosifee~

I just finished up workout 1 of intermediate #4 - 636.

Not bad. not bad at all.

I enjoyed it. I was a little shocked that it took roughly 50 min to complete. If you look at it on paper, it doesn't seem like it would take that long since you are doing only squat, bench & rows but the sheer volume of reps/sets, along with proper rest in between, brought it to that time frame for me. I did throw in some ab work so that pushed it to over an hour workout.

I did make it through without any problems even though I have a cold, running a fever and have been consuming massive amounts of alcohol for the last 3 days.

Still feels weird not doing any assistance work for workout 1.

I'm looking forward to Thurs/workout 2.
    I hope you feel better soon, mentally and physically. Oh, and I'm glad you had fun with this set up. You might want to back off the alcohol while fighting with this monster!

Yeah, I've just been off for a few extra days for the 4th and been trying to forget about the stress of last week.

Gonna cut back on the beer and I'll get back to my normal daily routine this week or as normal as possible.

My grandmother is having a VERY difficult time dealing with the loss of my grandpa so I'm "on call". She needs me, I'm there. I'm having to deal with paying her bills until I can teach her how to write checks and balance a checkbook.

There's just a lot of stress that's not going away anytime soon.
    ~Moosifee~

gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    AllPro, quick question on your #2 program:

If I cannot complete reps on one of the exercises during a particular week, I assume I try and do the same the following week, and the following week, until I do. Then I add a rep, correct? Or should I lower the weight a little to complete the rep range the following week?

From what I can see completing the rep range at close to max effort is the key, correct?. So by the end of week 5 some of my lifts may be lighter than when I started if I could not advance much in them (adding weight or reps on chest or squats is somewhat easier than on bicep curls or shoulder press).

And I assume that after week 5 I re-calculate my starting weights for each exercise based on where I finished? If I completed all rep ranges fine then I add 5%. What about the ones that I had trouble with?

Originally Posted by gerryh777 View Post
    AllPro, quick question on your #2 program:

If I cannot complete reps on one of the exercises during a particular week, I assume I try and do the same the following week, and the following week, until I do. Then I add a rep, correct? Or should I lower the weight a little to complete the rep range the following week?

From what I can see completing the rep range at close to max effort is the key, correct?. So by the end of week 5 some of my lifts may be lighter than when I started if I could not advance much in them (adding weight or reps on chest or squats is somewhat easier than on bicep curls or shoulder press).

And I assume that after week 5 I re-calculate my starting weights for each exercise based on where I finished? If I completed all rep ranges fine then I add 5%. What about the ones that I had trouble with?
    If you've chosen the weight correctly only the last 2 weeks could be a problem. If you failed to get all of the reps on week 5, just repeat the cycle using the same weight for that exercise. That's very likely to happen with this level of programing and it's by design. It might take 2 or 3 cycles to get every rep but each time through you should be able to add a rep....hopefully!

thaar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Intermediate 3

Three core lifts. Squat, bench press and rows.

Now for the assistance work. No warm ups. One set each to start with.

Standing rows *required*
    AP, am I correct to assume you're referring to bent-over rows as a core lift, then upright rows for assistance lift?

Thanks for putting together these programs! Been looking for a new program to transition to.

Originally Posted by thaar View Post
    AP, am I correct to assume you're referring to bent-over rows as a core lift, then upright rows for assistance lift?

Thanks for putting together these programs! Been looking for a new program to transition to.
    Yes, exactly right. I tried to keep them all on the same 3 core exercises and then add 1 required assistance lift and then I left the rest up to the lifter.

thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50) thedogdidit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    And yes, that rep progression is brutal. My freaking legs burned so bad, I could only grunt and yell until I got finished.
    Phew, glad it's not just me. I haven't yelled yet, but I'm thiiiiss close. I didn't make my 20 today Maybe if I had yelled ...

The progression doesn't bother me nearly as much on calves, but why oh why are we so tormented by All Pro on quads??

hahaha, it seemed to help when I yelled.

gahhh, my legs are so freaking sore today, I can barely sit down. Don't know if its because I had missed 3 workouts or if it was just the workout (636).

Funny thing, my legs are the only thing that's sore and I didn't even struggle with the squats.

Wait until you try the 636. You are gonna really feel it.
    ~Moosifee~

gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gerryh777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    AllPro,

I am nobody to question your programs so I politely ask:

On the Intermediate II - AllPro program you are putting Lat Pulldowns at the very end....after doing the bicep curls. Is that the correct order? I would imagine after doing curls your biceps will be pretty tired and affect the weight/performance on the lat pulldowns.

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hiimnotcool has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    AllPro,

On the Intermediate II - AllPro program you are putting Lat Pulldowns at the very end....after doing the bicep curls. Is that the correct order? I would imagine after doing curls your biceps will be pretty tired and affect the weight/performance on the lat pulldowns.

To add onto this question...

I don't work out at a gym so I don't have a pull down machine available. Are chinups a viable replacement?

AllPro,

Stiff arm pull downs or pull overs. I'm going after lats and shoulders....and anything else that dares to attempt to help. Sorry about the confusion. I had forgotten that a lot of people use their biceps to get this lift moving. Even if you do, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. If it does then do curls after pull downs.

Originally Posted by hiimnotcool View Post
    To add onto this question...

I don't work out at a gym so I don't have a pull down machine available. Are chinups a viable replacement?
    Pull overs would be preferable if you can decline your bench. If not you can try chin ups but rep progression goes out the window because you can't use less than body weight unless you're going to cut off a leg or 2 and then reattach them afterward!

hahaha, it seemed to help when I yelled.

gahhh, my legs are so freaking sore today, I can barely sit down. Don't know if its because I had missed 3 workouts or if it was just the workout (636).

Funny thing, my legs are the only thing that's sore and I didn't even struggle with the squats.

Wait until you try the 636. You are gonna really feel it.
    How does your butt feel? Yes that question can be taken 2 ways. I'm still a dirty old man or a sexy senior citizen depending on your perspective.
    I'm trying to put some glutes on you girl and get rid of that white girl butt you complained about.

hahaha!!

My butt feels fine actually. Hams are freaking sore as hell too.

I'm gonna throw down on some deadlifts Thurs though

~Moosifee~

maxoud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Intermediate 2
    All Pro Split
    5 week cycle
    A
    Bench Presses do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8 Do 2 warm up sets. 25% of the work set weight for 15 reps and 50% of the work set weight for 10 reps.
    Bent-Over Rows do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8
    Overhead Barbell Presses do 2 work sets rep scheme 6-7-8-9-10
    Barbell Curls do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Tricep press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Hammer grip dumb bell press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Pull down do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12

B
    Squats do 4 work sets rep scheme 4-5-6-7-8 Do 2 warm up sets. 25% of the work set weight for 15 reps and 50% of the work set weight for 10 reps.
    Leg extensions do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Leg curls do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-9-10-11-12
    Calf Raises do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
    Seated calf press do 2 work sets rep scheme 8-10-12-15-20
    Add ab work
    If you get all of the reps on week 5 add 5%
    That should get you started. I would do this A/B/A then B/A/B until you come up to speed. Then try 4 work outs per week. A-B off. A-B off off.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Can I change exercises a little bit and still work based on this type of 5 week cycle of rep progression? I personally don't like to dedicate two whole days of my exercise to my legs.
    will it be still ok if for example I add my shoulder exercises to the second day, ignore some leg exercises and add to the others?

knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50) knasty will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What does it mean when you say to do 2 working sets with rep scheme 6-7-8-9-10. Wouldn't that be 5 sets? I take it as a set of 6, a set of 7, a set of 8, etc.
    Philippians 4:13