Mytheos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy It's been about a month, what am I doing wrong?

Hi there everyone,

If someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, I would probably be in your debt for life. Not even kidding around.

For years I have been wanting to have a muscular build. My most successful weight lifting years were in high school. Or just there shortly out of high school.

I'm 23 years old and I decided about a few months ago I was going to really get serious. I've had a gym membership that I was paying for for about a year and didn't even attend. I was so nervous to even try.

Finally after listening to some motivational audio books, I decided that looking bad, and failing at first is the natural way of things. No one succeeds immediately, and those afraid of looking bad are destined to never accomplish a thing.

So one day I got up and went to the gym and decided that regardless of how hard or stupid and weak I looked, I would show up, do what I had to do, and get out.

That was one embarrassing day... I just could only lift 15 pound dumbbells.

I decided that that kind of embarrassment was a little too much to take, so I bought a bench and some dumbbells for home and started trying to workout there in secrecy to hit the gym when I could at least lift a bit more.

After a little while I felt more confident so I returned to the gym. I've been attending 3 times a week for about 3 weeks to a month, and I have to tell you guys. I haven't been seeing a whole lot of progress and it's very discouraging.

To describe my body type, I have a really good strong pair of legs on me, with a decent chest, a strong back, but terrible arms, ESPECIALLY my left arm, i would I could buy a new one on ebay, thats how much I hate it.

I recently looked up people who have a hard time gaining weight, they are described as ectomorphic. Well I don't think I'm completely that way, as the describing factors for an ectomorphic male is someone who has thin arms, a flat chest, and no fat on them. I think it mentioned chicken legs too... Which I don't have.

SO I guess that makes me part ectomorphic?

I supplement with whey protein, and creatine (though lately I have kind of been lax on the creatine out of just not remember to consume it). I also recently bought a small container of pre-workout ignition ( a mix of caffiene, nitric oxide aswell as a few other things) and the container recommends to start off using a small dose and increase to see how much your body is good with, starting off with one scoop to a max of three. Well let me tell you, just increased to three scoops this morning and it put my stomach in a bad spot for a while. One scoop seems okay, and two, is kinda meh, somewhat of an upset stomach, but more or less okay.

I also after reading a lot about ectomorphic types and what it takes to become larger in size, discovered that I need to be consuming more calories per day than what my body requires to maintain it's weight, so for the past... 3 or 4 days I've been mowing down on about 4,000 calories daily.

But I just got back from the gym, and do I ever feel like a weakling still...

Some days I do well, for example, days where I do legs, I feel like Im doing a great job. Bicep and back days, I do well.. okay. On days where chest and triceps come into play. I feel as though I am falling really really short of the bar.

For example today, I had to do bench press, I started off with a 45 pound bar and added ten pounds to it making it 55 x 10 reps, then I did 75 x 10 reps, then I did 85 and could do about 6.

I moved on to incline dumbbell press and started with 20 x 10 reps, then 25, by ten reps, and could not do 30 at all. My left arm just would not have it! I did another 20, then 25.

I moved onto tricep pushdowns (a machine that simulates dips, because I cannot do a dip at the moment) and I did okay on that, at ten reps a piece I did 50,70, 110.

Once I was done that I could not do a single incline skullcrusher (not that I've really been able to do that anyway) and past that I had to do... dumbbell flies. Which as a long limbed individual, was more than difficult. Did 10 reps a piece for 20 and 25.

I'm 23 years old, 6'1" and about 190-195 lbs. I can't seem to put meat on my upper body.

This is the workout I am doing:

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps:

Bench Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 3x10
    Dumbbell Fly - 2x12
    Dips - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Skull Crushers, on incline bench - 3x10

Day 2 - Back/Biceps:

Wide-grip lat pulldowns, or pull-ups - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Bent over barbell rows - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Dumbbell rows - 3x10
    Standing barbell curls - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Alternating dumbbell curls - 2x10

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders:

Barbell squats - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Leg press - 3x10
    Leg extensions - 3x10
    Lying leg curls - 3x10
    Calf raises, on Smith machine - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Barbell Shoulder Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Lateral raises, with dumbbells - 3x10
    Upright rows, with dumbbells - 3x10

Anything I cannot do, I sub out with something I can do. Like instead of dips, tricep pushdowns.

I am NOT using any weight gainer / protein powder mix, only protein powder because I don't want diabetes in a few years from all the sugar in a weight gainer. Not sure if ones made with maltodextrin are any better.

But guys, or girls. Whomever see's this and has taken the time to read this long winded post.

What... in gods name am I doing wrong? I will literally do anything at this point to get the body I so desperately crave. I will post pictures and information on the supplements I use, pictures of my body to show you what kind of body type I have if need be.

But after about a month. Should I not show some signs of progress? Like my biceps are a little harder and somewhat larger, but... thats about it, nothing overly... impressive.

Please please please help me.

Hazedawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure if srs.

Originally Posted by Hazedawg View Post
    Not sure if srs.
    I'm not familiar with what srs is.... did I post this in the wrong area? because trust me I looked. and to have the results I have and with how much time and money and feeling has gone into this.... its demotivating not to see progress.

Hazedawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No, you're not supposed to see improvements in your body after a month, if you continue with your bulking you will however see improvements in your lifts in no-time.

Read this. www(dot)liamrosen(dot)com/fitness.html

It might fill you in on some basic knowledge you're obviously lacking, also continue browsing BB. You'll learn alot.

HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HarleyRen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a month is nothing, is your lifting increasing gradually? and make sure you get your diet right that's the most important part.

caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mytheos View Post
    Hi there everyone,

If someone could tell me what I am doing wrong, I would probably be in your debt for life. Not even kidding around.

For years I have been wanting to have a muscular build. My most successful weight lifting years were in high school. Or just there shortly out of high school.

I'm 23 years old and I decided about a few months ago I was going to really get serious. I've had a gym membership that I was paying for for about a year and didn't even attend. I was so nervous to even try.

Finally after listening to some motivational audio books, I decided that looking bad, and failing at first is the natural way of things. No one succeeds immediately, and those afraid of looking bad are destined to never accomplish a thing.

So one day I got up and went to the gym and decided that regardless of how hard or stupid and weak I looked, I would show up, do what I had to do, and get out.

That was one embarrassing day... I just could only lift 15 pound dumbbells.

I decided that that kind of embarrassment was a little too much to take, so I bought a bench and some dumbbells for home and started trying to workout there in secrecy to hit the gym when I could at least lift a bit more.

After a little while I felt more confident so I returned to the gym. I've been attending 3 times a week for about 3 weeks to a month, and I have to tell you guys. I haven't been seeing a whole lot of progress and it's very discouraging.

To describe my body type, I have a really good strong pair of legs on me, with a decent chest, a strong back, but terrible arms, ESPECIALLY my left arm, i would I could buy a new one on ebay, thats how much I hate it.

I recently looked up people who have a hard time gaining weight, they are described as ectomorphic. Well I don't think I'm completely that way, as the describing factors for an ectomorphic male is someone who has thin arms, a flat chest, and no fat on them. I think it mentioned chicken legs too... Which I don't have.

SO I guess that makes me part ectomorphic?

I supplement with whey protein, and creatine (though lately I have kind of been lax on the creatine out of just not remember to consume it). I also recently bought a small container of pre-workout ignition ( a mix of caffiene, nitric oxide aswell as a few other things) and the container recommends to start off using a small dose and increase to see how much your body is good with, starting off with one scoop to a max of three. Well let me tell you, just increased to three scoops this morning and it put my stomach in a bad spot for a while. One scoop seems okay, and two, is kinda meh, somewhat of an upset stomach, but more or less okay.

I also after reading a lot about ectomorphic types and what it takes to become larger in size, discovered that I need to be consuming more calories per day than what my body requires to maintain it's weight, so for the past... 3 or 4 days I've been mowing down on about 4,000 calories daily.

But I just got back from the gym, and do I ever feel like a weakling still...

Some days I do well, for example, days where I do legs, I feel like Im doing a great job. Bicep and back days, I do well.. okay. On days where chest and triceps come into play. I feel as though I am falling really really short of the bar.

For example today, I had to do bench press, I started off with a 45 pound bar and added ten pounds to it making it 55 x 10 reps, then I did 75 x 10 reps, then I did 85 and could do about 6.

I moved on to incline dumbbell press and started with 20 x 10 reps, then 25, by ten reps, and could not do 30 at all. My left arm just would not have it! I did another 20, then 25.

I moved onto tricep pushdowns (a machine that simulates dips, because I cannot do a dip at the moment) and I did okay on that, at ten reps a piece I did 50,70, 110.

Once I was done that I could not do a single incline skullcrusher (not that I've really been able to do that anyway) and past that I had to do... dumbbell flies. Which as a long limbed individual, was more than difficult. Did 10 reps a piece for 20 and 25.

I'm 23 years old, 6'1" and about 190-195 lbs. I can't seem to put meat on my upper body.

This is the workout I am doing:

Day 1 - Chest/Triceps:

Bench Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Incline Dumbbell Press - 3x10
    Dumbbell Fly - 2x12
    Dips - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Skull Crushers, on incline bench - 3x10

Day 2 - Back/Biceps:

Wide-grip lat pulldowns, or pull-ups - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Bent over barbell rows - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Dumbbell rows - 3x10
    Standing barbell curls - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Alternating dumbbell curls - 2x10

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders:

Barbell squats - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Leg press - 3x10
    Leg extensions - 3x10
    Lying leg curls - 3x10
    Calf raises, on Smith machine - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Barbell Shoulder Press - 12, 10, 10, 8
    Lateral raises, with dumbbells - 3x10
    Upright rows, with dumbbells - 3x10

Anything I cannot do, I sub out with something I can do. Like instead of dips, tricep pushdowns.

I am NOT using any weight gainer / protein powder mix, only protein powder because I don't want diabetes in a few years from all the sugar in a weight gainer. Not sure if ones made with maltodextrin are any better.

But guys, or girls. Whomever see's this and has taken the time to read this long winded post.

What... in gods name am I doing wrong? I will literally do anything at this point to get the body I so desperately crave. I will post pictures and information on the supplements I use, pictures of my body to show you what kind of body type I have if need be.

But after about a month. Should I not show some signs of progress? Like my biceps are a little harder and somewhat larger, but... thats about it, nothing overly... impressive.

Please please please help me.

If you think you're skinny, come join our group on this forum called "The Journey Of The Skinnies" There's a lot of good info there and a lot of success stories. To see results takes time. More than a month. By now though, you should be able to push more weight, even if it's only 5lbs more. That means you are progressing, but the results aren't noticeable on your image yet. Diet is also the most important aspect on getting the body you want. Come check us out! Here's the thread link. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131655893
    STRENGTH. POWER. FITNESS.
    EAT BIG, LIFT BIG, GET BIG!
    TRANSFORMING MY BODY ONE DAY AT A TIME::

andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50) andavari will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's ok man, since you're starting again, just stick to the basics... Drop the creatine, and stick to good food, vitamins and whey protein. A month is like a blink of the eye when you're talking about body transformations. For example, when I started lifting back in November I could only squat 100 lbs for 5 reps, now I'm pushing 250 8 reps for 4 sets if I wanted to. I'm sure everyone would agree that this stuff takes a lot of time, dedication and a solid diet. Don't be pleased with your appearance, be pleased with your strength gains because in time you'll be where you want to be if you work at it.

caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caustin1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by andavari View Post
    It's ok man, since you're starting again, just stick to the basics... Drop the creatine, and stick to good food, vitamins and whey protein. A month is like a blink of the eye when you're talking about body transformations. For example, when I started lifting back in November I could only squat 100 lbs for 5 reps, now I'm pushing 250 8 reps for 4 sets if I wanted to. I'm sure everyone would agree that this stuff takes a lot of time, dedication and a solid diet. Don't be pleased with your appearance, be pleased with your strength gains because in time you'll be where you want to be if you work at it.
    Rep'd for your progress!

so a month is nothing? that actually makes me feel good. and I am seeing seeing small increases in strength. so just keep at it and maintain the high caloric intake?

I will definitely check the journey of the skinnies.

why drop the creatine? I'm curious on that one.

so a month is nothing? that actually makes me feel good. and I am seeing seeing small increases in strength. so just keep at it and maintain the high caloric intake?

I wouldn't drop creatine. While I don't swear by it, it still does help a lot. It helps you get out an extra rep or 2, helps deliver nutrients to your muscles, etc. Drink PLENTY of water though for max effect. Creatine is also found in red meats. Just my opinion. I use it and love it, and most bodybuilders live by it lol.

Originally Posted by caustin1986 View Post
    I wouldn't drop creatine. While I don't swear by it, it still does help a lot. It helps you get out an extra rep or 2, helps deliver nutrients to your muscles, etc. Drink PLENTY of water though for max effect. Creatine is also found in red meats. Just my opinion. I use it and love it, and most bodybuilders live by it lol.
    I drink 4 liters a day or so. that's a gallon isn't it? is that enough?
    Last edited by Mytheos; 05-30-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: muffed up

Yeah. I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half daily.

Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rebel11 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yes, that's enough, but barely. 4 liters daily is the minimum amount of water you should drink when supplementing with creatine. All the better If you can gradually increase water intake.

One way to measure if you're drinking enough is to check urine color/smell. Strong smell and dark color means you should be drinking more.

Also, don't wait till you're thirsty to drink. If you're thirsty you're already dehydrated.
    Last edited by Rebel11; 05-30-2011 at 02:42 PM.

cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdeyoung will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, I can't say that I can relate because I have good genetics (seriously, everybody on my father's side are.. well, very thick muscular wise) and I have seen decent gains in a month after starting out. I'm not Hulk Hogan sized, but I have noticed that my arms have gotten a little bigger and my chest has gotten thicker and my shoulders are thickening up as well, as well as my forearms. It all depends on what body type you are, how much protein you eat, how many carbs you eat, etc.

Some people see results after the first month, like myself, but some will not. It also boils down to the individual as everybody requires different amounts of calories, carbs, protein, etc. All I can say is "NEVER GIVE UP", because if you give up, you will NEVER see that muscular body you so much desire. I have 30% lung function, which poses a small hindrance when lifting, however it is not as bad as it sounds. If I am not giving up with what lung capacity I have, then you definitely shouldn't be giving up.

Here are two speeches that motivate me to keep going and going on a daily basis...

http://youtu.be/k7Ja_7lwfrg

http://youtu.be/_Z5OookwOoY

Never give up!!!

Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Yeah, don't sweat things after just a month. Bodybuilding is a long term commitment. I'm a member of journey of the skinnies as well, and they're a great bunch. Join up and join in on the thread/new website for a bunch of motivational material.

I personally don't think there's a problem with you using creatine; just drink a lot of water, as has been mentioned. You say you drink about 4L per day... aim for at least that amount. 4.5L would be even better.
    "It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." -Arnold

Originally Posted by Sheppe View Post
    Yeah, don't sweat things after just a month. Bodybuilding is a long term commitment. I'm a member of journey of the skinnies as well, and they're a great bunch. Join up and join in on the thread/new website for a bunch of motivational material.

I personally don't think there's a problem with you using creatine; just drink a lot of water, as has been mentioned. You say you drink about 4L per day... aim for at least that amount. 4.5L would be even better.
    What he said man. Come on over!

Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Russianteen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't be embarrased when you go to the gym everyone is doing their own thing no one cares how much you can bench or curl. Dont be scared and everytime you have time to go to the gym do it take your protien creatine eat healthy and follow your workout routine. You will not see improvement fast but if you work hard at it and give it some time you will be impressed.

nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nofear24pr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    nothing wrong with the routine, probably the nutrition. Also fit in some abs workout.Try a mass gainer.

I****ss (strawberry) tastes good and its pretty cheap for 10.11 lbs. I like how it works. Also remember to get about 3000 cal. Im asumming you are about 160 pds.

400g carbs
    80g fat
    160-180g protein

Something like that. good luck

Originally Posted by nofear24pr View Post
    nothing wrong with the routine, probably the nutrition. Also fit in some abs workout.Try a mass gainer.

I****ss (strawberry) tastes good and its pretty cheap for 10.11 lbs. I like how it works. Also remember to get about 3000 cal. Im asumming you are about 160 pds.

400g carbs
    80g fat
    160-180g protein

Something like that. good luck
    I'm 190 lbs. I aim for 4000 calories. Most days I get that.

Originally Posted by Russianteen View Post
    Don't be embarrased when you go to the gym everyone is doing their own thing no one cares how much you can bench or curl. Dont be scared and everytime you have time to go to the gym do it take your protien creatine eat healthy and follow your workout routine. You will not see improvement fast but if you work hard at it and give it some time you will be impressed.
    I think that's a problem most men face when starting off in a gym. We feel the need to not to too outperformed. I think its the whole male dominance thing. Wanting to feel like an alpha male.

Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think that's a problem most men face when starting off in a gym. We feel the need to not to too outperformed. I think its the whole male dominance thing. Wanting to feel like an alpha male.
    I think you're probably right. The key is this: realize that most people don't give a phuck what you're doing, and for you to also not give a phuck what they are doing. I'm not saying to be inconsiderate of peoples' workout space or anything, but just understand that they are there to improve themselves, just like you are there to improve yourself. What others are doing doesn't matter.
    "It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." -Arnold