EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sprained Ankle has ruined my workout

It's busted up bad. I can hardly walk (limping isn't fun... forget about running). Been doing Rippetoes Starting Strength as recommended by many of you guys here.

But now, because of this injury, I cannot perform the squats, deadlifts or powercleans (No, I haven't tried powering through anyway, screw that). This leaves me with only bench presses and shoulder presses. But then that seems almost a bit redundant. So what exercises do you recommend I add as a substitute to these leg exercises?

This totally sucks. It's ruined my training. Doctors say it will be anywhere between 2-3months before it is fully healed and I'm able to carry on as normal. I'm not going to stop working out for 3 months...

Any advice? I hate having this temporary disability :/

KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I know that feel

Last year i messed up my ankle playing rugby, had to get pin and plate in, out of action for 10 weeks, so annoying!! But I just focused on getting better, couldnt go to gym anyway as I was in a cast and crutches, not cool

I would let your ankle get better first, then go back to training, I was quite disheartened when i resumed training after such a long break, couldnt lift **** anymore, but looking back now, I regained my mass and strength in no time, thank you muscle memory
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

"It is ok to fail, it is not ok to give up" - Ghandi

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you" - Neil Young

"Cíunas bothár cailín baínne" - Patrick Kavanagh

Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10) Damodred is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hmm try some machines were your ankle is excluded from the exercise.

I'm sure you could find a few Machines that would work out your legs without the use of your ankle as such... won't be as tough as squats and such.. but better then nothing!
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery but today is a Gift. That is why we call it Present.

KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Damodred View Post
    hmm try some machines were your ankle is excluded from the exercise.
    Dunno man, what machines?? Leg extensions and leg curls require the use of the ankles to "hold" the pad in order for you to push/pull the weight. Leg press is obv out of the question. Even upper body machines require you to place your feet down to keep stable...

How bad is it OP?? You said you can hardly walk, so you can put a little weight on it??
    If its not that bad you could use some upper body machines, just body-weight leg extensions and curls, i.e. the weight of your leg, or maybe you could swim??

All i know is that i couldn't walk (no weight on leg) for 10 weeks, my left leg lost most of its muscle, I lost quite a bit of strength too, but it all came back pretty quickly, and I'm bigger and stronger than I ever was..
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EllipsisD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How bad is it OP?? You said you can hardly walk, so you can put a little weight on it??
    If its not that bad you could use some upper body machines, just body-weight leg extensions and curls, i.e. the weight of your leg, or maybe you could swim??

Well, I can stand on it fine. I can sort of walk with a limp. It could definitely be a lot worse. I'm thinking I could do upper body stuff, just maybe pay attention to ensure heavier weight isn't causing me pain.

Swimming is a good idea, except my gym unfortunately doesn't have a pool (very cheap gym).

So I'm guessing my options are upper body or no workout? Assuming I do more upper body work, what would be best for someone like me who is still in the beginning phase. Rippetoe is very adamant that beginners shouldn't do bicep work and such, so I'm not sure what other great compound lifts there are that do not require force from legs?

Well best upper body exercise would be, bench, military press and pull ups, or in your case pull downs, and various rows. They'll hit your bi's and tri's plenty!!

Would you be able to use a bike or crosstrainer??, keeping the cardio up will help aid recovery too...
    ***Irish Misc Crew***