naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) naqeft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are dumbell shrugs sufficient for the whole trapezius muscle?

I'm wondering if it only does the upper traps and if I should combine it with another workout.

kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingpiccolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    overhead shrugs hit lower traps

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, I think you know the answer to your own question.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by naqeft View Post
    I'm wondering if it only does the upper traps and if I should combine it with another workout.
    If you want to target the lower-mid traps, incorporate rows and deadlifts.

PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000)
    Australian Pull-ups
    -A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living.-
    John F. Kennedy

-The Infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.-
    C.T. Shortis

Grammar was taught in school for a reason, USE IT!

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    lulz @ "Australian pullups." Never heard that one before.

Supine rows are a great exercise but I think heavier weights with barbell rows and rack pulls will build the traps more effectively.

firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Overhead squats do not really work the lower traps, the weight pushes down, you shrug upward with upper traps to maintain shoulder position.
    To work the lower traps you need the traps to pull down from overhead, like in a chinup or a heavy shrug from the bottom position of a chinup. Rows work the middle traps, but a shrug in the row position would work them more.
    MyMuscles.com

Features weight lifting terminology, equipment info, essays, and links.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If db's is all you got right now, sure. The key is to shrug from different angles of the upper torso. Leaning forward in various degrees.

I've even incorporated an occasional db shrug seated but leaning back ever so slightly, in the trap portion of my back/shoulder workouts.
    Time To Re-Schedule

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    lulz @ "Australian pullups." Never heard that one before.
    He is talking about the inverted row.

jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000) jtrean is just really nice. (+1000)
    Doing db rows while laying face down on an incline bench works well too
    USAF
    100% rep back
    *Misc Crew*

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Everything them aussies do is "inverted".
    Time To Re-Schedule

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    If db's is all you got right now, sure. The key is to shrug from different angles of the upper torso. Leaning forward in various degrees.

I've even incorporated an occasional db shrug seated but leaning back ever so slightly, in the trap portion of my back/shoulder workouts.
    1st poster to suggest shrugging from different angles with a slight lean forward.

Wise Yoda is wise.

Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    1st poster to suggest shrugging from different angles with a slight lean forward.

Wise Yoda is wise.
    Thank you sir. We can't change the physical laws of nature. Heavy weights are "heavy" in relation to their vertical movement from the ground. We can't change that. All we can do is alter our body's angle to that set vertical motion.
    Time To Re-Schedule

The God of Calisthenics GodlyBuddha's Avatar
    GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) GodlyBuddha is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Deadlits.

DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been doing incline mid trap barbell shrugs for quite a while now. Has helped my mid and lower traps greatly.
    "I hate it when people say "Don't be so hard on yourself." Why not be hard on yourself? Be as hard on yourself as you can. Maybe just maybe it will get you up off your ass and help you accomplish a goal. If not, your weakness has won." ~ ME

"There are no easy fixes in life. No magic beans. No Genie of the Lamp to wish yourself skinny. It takes hard work and dedication. Why don't people understand that?" ~ ME

QUIT SPOUTING BRO SCIENCE BRAH!!!! UGGGGGGGGGG

lift heavy & take a multi hotspur's Avatar
    hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50) hotspur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cough::::deadlifts:::::cough
    I do because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

The second I Googled it I knew the exercise: supine rows. Done them plenty of times. I'd just never heard them called "Australian pullups."

Those crazy Aussies.

PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000) PG11B is just really nice. (+1000)
    The second I Googled it I knew the exercise: supine rows. Done them plenty of times. I'd just never heard them called "Australian pullups."

Those crazy Aussies.
    They are a great exercise, especially when you prop your feet on a medicine ball and a plate on your chest. To each their own.
    -A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living.-
    John F. Kennedy

-The Infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.-
    C.T. Shortis

anonymous
    no, the lower traps are completely deactivated when you shrug with DB's. You need to do inverted kettlebell one arm shrugs to activate those pesky, stubborn lower trap fibers.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Standing shrugs target the upper trap, so no they're not enough to hit the entire trap.
    Originally Posted by PG11B View Post
    Australian Pull-ups
    lulz @ "Australian pullups." Never heard that one before. Supine rows are a great exercise
    The second I Googled it I knew the exercise: supine rows. Done them plenty of times. I'd just never heard them called "Australian pullups." Those crazy Aussies.
    What we call it really depends on how we think of it. I like calling them 'pull ups' because that term strongly seems associated with moving the body through space with a stable hand position. On the other hand, some prefer to call them rows because they can duplicate the angles we use in bent-over rows or rowing machines.

As for who to blame for the 'australian' popularity recently, blame the navy seal guy who popularized the Perfect Push-Up. He calls them Australian in his Perfect Pull-Up product that swings away from the doorway and all that.

I can't do those in socks because my feet slide and the bar bangs into the door frame, I put on slippers to get some traction. Been thinking of putting a 30kg bag of sand in the door to help with that, just don't want to trip.

I think heavier weights with barbell rows and rack pulls will build the traps more effectively.
    I think it might be easier to focus on the motion using these since they're open chain and we're moving the limbs with a stabler body. The bodyweight movements are closed chain and even though we can get used to them, sometimes feel a bit unusual.
    Originally Posted by firstmark View Post
    To work the lower traps you need the traps to pull down from overhead, like in a chinup or a heavy shrug from the bottom position of a chinup.
    This is not an absolute requirement, the arms can be down too: the lower traps also resist scapular elevation (as scapular depressors) while doing things like dips, as well. Apparently you can also work them as anti-wingers when you are doing prone V/I/W raises, I've seen videos advocating this.
    Originally Posted by firstmark View Post
    Rows work the middle traps, but a shrug in the row position would work them more.
    Another thing to keep in mind is if we're working the middle trap, the upper and lower will also be assisting in most imaginable scenarios. Sort of like the posterior and anterior heads will assist the lateral head of the deltoid in abduction when it is targetted as the prime mover. I'm not sure I agree with 'will work them more', it's definitely a better way to emphasize (attempt to isolate) it, but there could be some guys working it harder with rowing movements, maybe it depends on how their nervous system wakes up?

Originally Posted by kingpiccolo View Post
    overhead shrugs hit lower traps
    Pretty sure this would still be serratus anterior and upper trapezius. The change in angle (scapulae are upwardly rotated) would shorten the involved muscles and probably give some subtly different training effect, but I think it would still be the same ones. Maybe the emphasis would be changed? Not sure.

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Those crazy Aussies.
    wow i always thought it was a bodyweight hamstring exercise - hanging upside down via inversion boots & doing a pullup using your legs , these might be irish pullups.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Deadlift or rackpulls. Rackpulls allow you to use more weight and for me are better for traps.
    At the top throw in a shrug for good measure.

Shrugs are tough to beat, though. You need to go heavy and you need to hold at the top for a few seconds. If you can't go ALL the way up and hold, it's TOO heavy, though.
    Keep your arms straight, if you don't you bring other muscles into play.
    At the bottom of the exercise try to totally relax the traps to allow the weight to go down as far as possible.

Traps are like calves, unfortunately. If you don't have a lot of muscle tissue there to begin with you'll need to work VERY hard for them to show properly.

Don't roll your shoulders like you may see some people do.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post
    wow i always thought it was a bodyweight hamstring exercise - hanging upside down via inversion boots & doing a pullup using your legs , these might be irish pullups.
    irish pullups are when you pull your unconscious friend up from the ground after a whiskey session
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.

Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    irish pullups are when you pull your unconscious friend up from the ground after a whiskey session
    lol
    John F. Kennedy

C.T. Shortis