Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking gaining muscle workouts?

im new to this site i was told this site is pretty good for info. i recently bought a serios mass protien powder from here. im 17 years old. i weight 180 lbs at 5'9". ive been lifting on and off between wrestling season and other things. but ive lifted quite a bit. but i usually go to the gym 3 times a week and i go hard every day (monday, wensday, friday.)
    i go 100%. but i was told that a different workout would be better. i dont know what to call the routine i heard but theres heavy and light days. would i be better off lifting heavy monday rest tuesday lift wensday rest thursday lift hard friday rest the weekend until monday? i ususally switch it up from 3 sets of 5-8 reps then one week ill do 3 sets of 12.

anyways would it be better to change my workout or would it be better or the same to stick to the one i have now? throw some routines out there! if ur gonna give a good routine then show the says and what i work those days
    Last edited by muscleman17; 05-28-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: more info

weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    that seems like a pretty good idea to me. changing rep/set schemes can have many advantages where the lighter days help develop tendon and joint health as well as help prevent over training. hitting the entire body 3 days a week will give you nice results for a while assuming your sticking to the big compound lifts and take a week every now and then to deload.

muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muscleman17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by weavy88 View Post
    that seems like a pretty good idea to me. changing rep/set schemes can have many advantages where the lighter days help develop tendon and joint health as well as help prevent over training. hitting the entire body 3 days a week will give you nice results for a while assuming your sticking to the big compound lifts and take a week every now and then to deload.
    yeah but i cannot follow any like hevy lift like bench or squat cause i do not lift with a partner. so im going solo on every lift so i usually just do dumbell press until i think icannot get the weight anymore. or would it not hurt to go to failure on every lift? possibly just lift right until failure then finish off on leg press? idk i need ideas from other guys on what to do

weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) weavy88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by muscleman17 View Post
    yeah but i cannot follow any like hevy lift like bench or squat cause i do not lift with a partner. so im going solo on every lift so i usually just do dumbell press until i think icannot get the weight anymore. or would it not hurt to go to failure on every lift? possibly just lift right until failure then finish off on leg press? idk i need ideas from other guys on what to do
    there is no reason to go to failure every set, that would be a poor choice and result in over training. My squat rack has safety pins so i can do them without a spotter not sure if thats the case with you or not. Maybe you could just do bench/squats on a smith machine you wouldn't need a spotter for that.

Originally Posted by weavy88 View Post
    there is no reason to go to failure every set, that would be a poor choice and result in over training. My squat rack has safety pins so i can do them without a spotter not sure if thats the case with you or not. Maybe you could just do bench/squats on a smith machine you wouldn't need a spotter for that.
    yeah i spose the machine wouldnt hurt. i just try to not use it because im more infavor of free weight. im reading up on this workout from a nother forum on here:

You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight
    You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

i think its a pretty good program...idk about runnin 4 sets of 8 tho ide most likely do 3 sets of 5
    what do you think bout running that program?

JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Changing reps is a great idea as our body adapts to our routine, but that happens after a few months, not days. Changing too quickly 'confuses' the fast-slow twitch muscles fibres and slows muscle gains. Do at least 2 different exercises per body part, 4 sets each exercise You'll be fine

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yeah i spose the machine wouldnt hurt. i just try to not use it because im more infavor of free weight. im reading up on this workout from a nother forum on here:

You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight
    You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

i think its a pretty good program...idk about runnin 4 sets of 8 tho ide most likely do 3 sets of 5
    what do you think bout running that program?
    That's because it's 2 warm up sets and 2 work sets.

Originally Posted by JasonMtech View Post
    Changing reps is a great idea as our body adapts to our routine, but that happens after a few months, not days. Changing too quickly 'confuses' the fast-slow twitch muscles fibres and slows muscle gains. Do at least 2 different exercises per body part, 4 sets each exercise You'll be fine
    the only thing about that program is it sounds like you would stop gaining quick due to the same cycle each month. i can see it working because its constanly pushing you to get that 1 added rep each week. can anybody throw a routine out there based on this one?

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the only thing about that program is it sounds like you would stop gaining quick due to the same cycle each month. i can see it working because its constanly pushing you to get that 1 added rep each week. can anybody throw a routine out there based on this one?
    What muscle mag did you read that in? It doesn't matter because that's just plain wrong.
    The entire program is in the sticky.
    A Simple Beginner's Program

Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    What muscle mag did you read that in? It doesn't matter because that's just plain wrong.
    The entire program is in the sticky.
    A Simple Beginner's Program
    i read it from a forum on here. idk im having troubles making my own routine.

100% for 3 sets of 8. recently changed it from 3 sets of 8 to 3 sets of 12 at a lower weight then ill switch back to 3 sets of 5. thats pretty much it maybe some pyrmids of 12-8-6 but i havent done that yet.

i just need help with a program and getting everything figured out.

JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JasonMtech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's a very basic routine for a new bodybuilder with a fresh body that'll respond very easily to any basic weight training. As long as the next next workout has a higher intensity (more reps or weight) it's all success. That's how I did it back in the day but bodies will respond to different stimulus so it won't work for some. A Flex or Planet Muscle magazine has all the answers

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    That's the trouble with forums - nonsense can be spread just as easily as facts

I rant about this subject a little here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...51&postcount=7

And do the simple beginner program as it is written, it will work.

That's a very basic routine for a new bodybuilder with a fresh body that'll respond very easily to any basic weight training. As long as the next next workout has a higher intensity (more reps or weight) it's all success. That's how I did it back in the day but bodies will respond to different stimulus so it won't work for some. A Flex or Planet Muscle magazine has all the answers
    yeah never heard of those.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    A Flex or Planet Muscle magazine has all the answers
    You are not serious?

100% for 3 sets of 8. recently changed it from 3 sets of 8 to 3 sets of 12 at a lower weight then ill switch back to 3 sets of 5. thats pretty much it maybe some pyrmids of 12-8-6 but i havent done that yet.

i just need help with a program and getting everything figured out.
    You need to choose a program written by someone else that's designed for your goals.

One more thing before I go to bed. I've done the same exercises for the past 6 months. I have a book with every set, rep and exercise I've done and as soon as the numbers increase in the reps department the lifting iron increases. When I can do about 13 strict reps I increase the weight. The reps go down but with the heavier weight it's a muscle building success. I'm always changing plates lighter every few sets. It's impossible to keep the performance of the first set's weight/reps after 90 seconds rest

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You are not serious?
    I think I must take my reply back. My bad. They are a good source of information but I find they target the extreme end of the sport. But a regular joe like me learnt abit from them

One more thing before I go to bed. I've done the same exercises for the past 6 months. I have a book with every set, rep and exercise I've done and as soon as the numbers increase in the reps department the lifting iron increases. When I can do about 13 strict reps I increase the weight. The reps go down but with the heavier weight it's a muscle building success. I'm always changing plates lighter every few sets. It's impossible to keep the performance of the first set's weight/reps after 90 seconds rest
    All right then I'll issue a challenge. Add up the weight you lifted by multiplying the weight times the reps for each set. Next time you do that same exercise reduce the weight by 5%. Then do the math and tell me which way resulted in more volume. I'll give you a hint, it ain't your way!

All right then I'll issue a challenge. Add up the weight you lifted by multiplying the weight times the reps for each set. Next time you do that same exercise reduce the weight by 5%. Then do the math and tell me which way resulted in more volume. I'll give you a hint, it ain't your way!
    i do not understand what you have said here. sounds interesting though why would he go down weight by 5 %?

Buddy you just got me thinking. I knew joining this site will have it's benefits

Buddy you just got me thinking. I knew joining this site will have it's benefits
    i do not get what hes trying to say. can someone clear it up

i do not understand what you have said here. sounds interesting though why would he go down weight by 5 %?
    Because the total volume would be higher than what you are doing.
    I'll try to explain this in simple terms using Reg Park's bodybuilding 5x5. It uses 3 work sets of 5 reps using the same weight for all 3 sets. A 5 rep max is approximately 90%. To get 3 sets you can't use more than 85%.
    5x85 + 5x85 + 5x85 = 1275
    Now let's see what that looks like YOUR way.
    5x90 + 5x70 + 5x60 = 1100.....you lose.
    The only way that your way makes any sense is if you did 4 sets,
    6,8,10,12 stripping about 10% off each time. It's been tried. It isn't very effective. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

I'm just doing the sport I love my way. I don't appreciate being accused of trying to reinvent the wheel. As I said, I knew joining this site would be a great benefit and I truly thank you for your help

ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ovaltine123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You need to choose a program written by someone else that's designed for your goals.
    And where would i find this? Is there a place with a list of programs and people's results? i want to find a good program but i don't really want to mix and match exericises to make a program plus i'm new to this so the program probably wouldn't turn out very well

ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    im new to this site i was told this site is pretty good for info. i recently bought a serios mass protien powder from here. im 17 years old. i weight 180 lbs at 5'9". ive been lifting on and off between wrestling season and other things. but ive lifted quite a bit. but i usually go to the gym 3 times a week and i go hard every day (monday, wensday, friday.)
    i go 100%. but i was told that a different workout would be better. i dont know what to call the routine i heard but theres heavy and light days. would i be better off lifting heavy monday rest tuesday lift wensday rest thursday lift hard friday rest the weekend until monday? i ususally switch it up from 3 sets of 5-8 reps then one week ill do 3 sets of 12.

anyways would it be better to change my workout or would it be better or the same to stick to the one i have now? throw some routines out there! if ur gonna give a good routine then show the says and what i work those days
    make sure to train your lower body with deads and squats. make sure you eat alot of food often.

Originally Posted by ovaltine123 View Post
    And where would i find this? Is there a place with a list of programs and people's results? i want to find a good program but i don't really want to mix and match exericises to make a program plus i'm new to this so the program probably wouldn't turn out very well
    Read the stickys at the top of this page. There are several to choose from and people using them do post in them. Also you can check through the journals section and see what people are doing and how it's working.

ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) ptrmull is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ovaltine123 View Post
    at age 17 just lift eat rest..three days a week.

I'm just doing the sport I love my way. I don't appreciate being accused of trying to reinvent the wheel. As I said, I knew joining this site would be a great benefit and I truly thank you for your help
    I'm not picking on you. I'm trying to help you avoid all of the same mistakes that I and tens of thousands of others have made.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Arrow

Because the total volume would be higher than what you are doing.
    I'll try to explain this in simple terms using Reg Park's bodybuilding 5x5. It uses 3 work sets of 5 reps using the same weight for all 3 sets. A 5 rep max is approximately 90%. To get 3 sets you can't use more than 85%.
    5x85 + 5x85 + 5x85 = 1275
    Now let's see what that looks like YOUR way.
    5x90 + 5x70 + 5x60 = 1100.....you lose.
    The only way that your way makes any sense is if you did 4 sets,
    6,8,10,12 stripping about 10% off each time. It's been tried. It isn't very effective. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Good God what a horrible post.

How many bodybuilders do pyramids and reverse pyramids with sets of 6 to 15 as opposed to 3 work sets of 5? 100:1 maybe?

I suppose we should bring back the underhand free throw, Bob Cousy did it in the 50's.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post
    Good God what a horrible post.

How many bodybuilders do pyramids and reverse pyramids with sets of 6 to 15 as opposed to 3 work sets of 5? 100:1 maybe?

I suppose we should bring back the underhand free throw, Bob Cousy did it in the 50's.

Don't reinvent the wheel.
    Go ahead and keep repeating the mistakes of the past. Reverse pyramids work. Standard pyramids are a waste of time.....like me bothering to respond to you. You're still stuck in the same mindset you were in 2 years ago and you're still wrong.
    I issued a challenge a few posts up. I dare you. You know your wrong. Even Waynelucky knows you're wrong.