Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Fats vs. Carbs

synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500) synthetic is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Ghosting View Post
    Could have sworn this was bodybuilding.com and not checkoutmyenduranceandstickyourhandupmybutt.com
    put it this way... what are you 'building' your body for? Personally im not for prancing around on stage in a bikini in front of other men. On the other end, I have a significant other, so there is no need to go to a club to show off my body because I am lacking personality to attract a female.
    Last edited by synthetic; 05-30-2011 at 03:39 PM.

adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adean1989 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
    put it this way... what are you 'building' your body for? Personally im not for prancing around on stage in a bikini in front of other men.
    Yes professional body builders do what they do to: "prance around on stage in a bikini in front of other men"...

I understand you may have ideological differences when it comes to body building, but I can assure you few are pursuing this for the scenario you described above ^ Personally I do see functional strength/endurance/speed as some of the many pros of body building but for me and I'm sure many others it's much deeper. It's chronic goal setting and achieving, hard work, which pays dividends. Makes us feel, look and thus do better. I could elaborate further but I'm sure you get the gist of it.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret"

- BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences, UCL '11 (2:1)

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
    put it this way... what are you 'building' your body for? Personally im not for prancing around on stage in a bikini in front of other men. On the other end, I have a significant other, so there is no need to go to a club to show off my body because I am lacking personality to attract a female.
    You saying you have a personality?
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Stay humble, not pathetic sailingpece's Avatar
    sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    Sailingpiece, lipolysis is not a rate-limiting process to fat oxidation. This has been seen in controlled iconditions using athletic adults, so your correlational infants-under-infusion study doesn't do much. I think you're still stuck in the old thinking of ↑insulin = ↓lipolysis = ↑fat storage. This model is outated, incomplete, and devoid of context (which is everything). If, as you assert, a more insulinogenic environment would lead to "an increased proportion of fat mass" regardless of the chronically sustained net caloric balance, then how would you explain the multiple controlled studies in human adults comparing diets of diffferent insulinogenic capacities yielding no significant difference in body composition? It's easy to assume & make claims, but you'd have to put up better evidence to substantiate these claims.
    Yes I agree that the study I presented does not illustrate how the body handles various substrates, particularly FFAs...But I'm pretty sure that insulin and glucagon levels are the single most important factor that determines how the body will store or mobilize its fuel sources(1,2).

I don't see why ↑insulin = ↓lipolysis = ↑fat storage isn't a valid conclusion, or close to a complete model given the idea that increased insulin decreases mobilization of FFAs, thereby forcing the muscle to use its glycogen(3). If you are to ingest lipids during this hormonal state AND are in a calorie surplus, fat storage is inevitable !

PS: any way you can refer me to the studies that you mentioned ?

1) Coggan, A R. 1991. Plasma glucose metabolism during
    exercise in humans. Sports Medicine II 102- 24.
    2)Van Baak, M. A 1988 . ,B-adrenoceptor blockade and
    exercise An update Sports Medicine 4209-25.
    3)Ahlborg, G., and P. Felig 1976. Influence of glucose
    ingestion on fuel-hormone response during prolonged
    exercise. journal of Applied Physiology 41683-88
    Correlation does not imply causation. The Plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

When you believe in things you don't understand you suffer, superstition aint the way.

Lets Not talk about what COULD be, nor what WOULD be, but rather what really is.

I'm not an MD, nor am I a bro scientist.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sailingpece View Post
    Yes I agree that the study I presented does not illustrate how the body handles various substrates, particularly FFAs...But I'm pretty sure that insulin and glucagon levels are the single most important factor that determines how the body will store or mobilize its fuel sources(1,2).

I don't see why ↑insulin = ↓lipolysis = ↑fat storage isn't a valid conclusion, or close to a complete model given the idea that increased insulin decreases mobilization of FFAs, thereby forcing the muscle to use its glycogen(3). If you are to ingest lipids during this hormonal state AND are in a calorie surplus, fat storage is inevitable !

I'm sure Alan will have another educational response for ya bro, but I'm a kind of guy who goes cross-eyed even just reading such things, i don't even know half of those words you typed My ESL grades were **** man. But you do know that insulin spikes are irrelevant, right? Who cares?

lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lovingit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by adean1989 View Post
    Yes professional body builders do what they do to: "prance around on stage in a bikini in front of other men"...

I understand you may have ideological differences when it comes to body building, but I can assure you few are pursuing this for the scenario you described above ^ Personally I do see functional strength/endurance/speed as some of the many pros of body building but for me and I'm sure many others it's much deeper. It's chronic goal setting and achieving, hard work, which pays dividends. Makes us feel, look and thus do better. I could elaborate further but I'm sure you get the gist of it.
    Good post. On spread. =)

Stay humble, not pathetic sailingpece's Avatar
    sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50) sailingpece will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    I'm sure Alan will have another educational response for ya bro, but I'm a kind of guy who goes cross-eyed even just reading such things, i don't even know half of those words you typed My ESL grades were **** man. But you do know that insulin spikes are irrelevant, right? Who cares?
    What "words" in post are unclear brotha ? ....perhaps insulin spikes are irrelevant, but my concern here is the mechanism behind a net increase in adipose tissue.
    Correlation does not imply causation. The Plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

When you believe in things you don't understand you suffer, superstition aint the way.

Lets Not talk about what COULD be, nor what WOULD be, but rather what really is.

I'm not an MD, nor am I a bro scientist.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by sailingpece View Post

I have droned on ad nauseam about this in the past, I'm sure you could search up a ton of info on this board (& off). Thankfully for you & others, James Krieger has written a nice gob of enlightening material on insulin that's freely available. Here, please read it carefully (here's the 1st of a multi-part series):

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319