rozza88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help finding a workout program the suits me. (new to everything)

Hey all,

A friend recommended this forum to me when i mentioned i wanted to start exercising and get fit but im now abit lost.

im 23, 5ft9 and weigh 180lbs and would list my body type as "flabby" ( i used an online body fat % calculator and it said 18%, not sure how accurate they are ).

Ive had a browse around the forum and looked at the 'simple beginners guide' and a few other similar stickies but am left feeling unsure about where to start.

My aim is to lose some fat and tone my body up, with a little work on some guns.
    I started cycling to work 2 days ago (7 miles each way), i was hoping someone could give me some advice on where to go from here?

Do i start doing weights straight away? should i join a gym? what should a focus on while im at the gym? What do i do about my diet? Do i need to start taking special supplements?

Just hoping for some advice or a point in the right direction.

thanks

Lelaki Bangunan Seksi LengthyLifter's Avatar
    LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LengthyLifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To lose fat: focus on your diet. What worked for me is cutting out the processed junk and shifting to a low/moderate carb diet.

To gain muscle: Read the stickies. Do a beginner's program that includes mostly compound lifts (read the stickies for ideas). If you're going to work out at home make sure you get equipment that allows you to do squats.

The most important thing you can do in the way of supplements is take some whey protein immediately after your workout. Don't spend a lot of money on supplements. Spend it on good/healthy food.

Stick with the cycling on your off days. I did something similar while I was taking off the fat. But the most important thing is DIET! And it's just as important when you decide you want to put on the mass later.

And start lifting immediately! Even if your immediate goal is to lose the fat, at least it will keep you from losing whatever lean mass you've already got. Just keep it simple and consistent--both for your workout and diet.

WeightTraining.com Pro jjsmooth15's Avatar
    jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by rozza88 View Post
    Hey all,

A friend recommended this forum to me when i mentioned i wanted to start exercising and get fit but im now abit lost.

im 23, 5ft9 and weigh 180lbs and would list my body type as "flabby" ( i used an online body fat % calculator and it said 18%, not sure how accurate they are ).

Ive had a browse around the forum and looked at the 'simple beginners guide' and a few other similar stickies but am left feeling unsure about where to start.

My aim is to lose some fat and tone my body up, with a little work on some guns.
    I started cycling to work 2 days ago (7 miles each way), i was hoping someone could give me some advice on where to go from here?

Do i start doing weights straight away? should i join a gym? what should a focus on while im at the gym? What do i do about my diet? Do i need to start taking special supplements?

Just hoping for some advice or a point in the right direction.

thanks
    If you want a very basic beginner's workout then try this one out just to get yourself familiar with some of the basics before progressing to SS or something similar: http://www.weighttraining.com/workou...r-workout-plan ) As far as body composition/fat loss goes a lot of the success you will see will come from your eating habits)