Master of The Universe laneanders's Avatar
    laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000)

Difference in Incline, Decline, and Flat Bench Weights

So my question I guess is basically this. Is there a certain % range of weight you should be doing on an incline in comparison to a flat and decline bench? I ask because I 1 rep max 370 on the flat bench, whereas I've never 1 rep maxed incline or decline, but I can tell from the amount of weight and reps I do on them that my 1 rep max for decline is closer to 390. While my 1 rep max for incline would be closer to 275...

So to try and fix this I've started for the last two weeks anyway concentrating on attempting to minimize this huge gap between incline and my flat/decline weight capabilities. I've pretty much always concentrated on doing flats or declines, but with a 100 pound difference between incline and decline I feel like I should give it more attention.

Is this something normal? The large gap in weight difference between the three exercises. Or is this because I've always done flat/decline primarily while doing inclines towards the end of a workout after I had already burned through most of my strength?

PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PinkDumbells has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by laneanders View Post
    Is there a certain % range of weight you should be doing on an incline in comparison to a flat and decline bench?
    No.

JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000)
    So my question I guess is basically this. Is there a certain % range of weight you should be doing on an incline in comparison to a flat and decline bench? I ask because I 1 rep max 370 on the flat bench, whereas I've never 1 rep maxed incline or decline, but I can tell from the amount of weight and reps I do on them that my 1 rep max for decline is closer to 390. While my 1 rep max for incline would be closer to 275...

So to try and fix this I've started for the last two weeks anyway concentrating on attempting to minimize this huge gap between incline and my flat/decline weight capabilities. I've pretty much always concentrated on doing flats or declines, but with a 100 pound difference between incline and decline I feel like I should give it more attention.

Is this something normal? The large gap in weight difference between the three exercises. Or is this because I've always done flat/decline primarily while doing inclines towards the end of a workout after I had already burned through most of my strength?
    Weight gaps like those are normal...you are just increasing the magnitude of the difference by putting inclines last in your workout. There is no law that states that you have to do all 3 in the same workout - its actually a good thing to prioritize inclines in alternating workouts...

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think most people struggle with incline presses (provided they even do a consistent form with the others). So it's normal. If you start prioritizing it, I wouldn't be shocked to hear it increase to 315 in a short period, if not more.

Reference: I can flat bench 250
    I can incline bench 215

Edit: I should also note that I use a significant arch on flat AND incline so this might be why my incline is a lot closer than others might be.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

Short answer no, there is no standard %. Really if all you ever did was bench press and you oculd do 400, the first time you incline you might only be able to handle 225. Its similar, but different enough that you will have to learn the movement.

Personally my incline and close grip bench were always pretty close and both were about 30-50 lbs below my flat bench.

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post

Personally my incline and close grip bench were always pretty close and both were about 30-50 lbs below my flat bench.
    I concur

laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000) laneanders is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Appreciate the feedback everyone. I have always done inclines, I usually rotate DB and BB inclines week to week. This is probably only an issue because I always start my chest day with the flat bench, and work my way around to inclines after usually doing at least 2 or 3 other chest exercises. So the muscles on incline are significantly fatigued which have probably led to smaller strength gains.

I will just start rotating my incline position in the depth chart to help minimize the difference. I just didn't want to wind up doing double on flat what I did on incline, that would make me sad.

Another question I would have is will increased strength on the incline bench translate to further increases in flat bench strength, or are the two mutually exclusive?

DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Appreciate the feedback everyone. I have always done inclines, I usually rotate DB and BB inclines week to week. This is probably only an issue because I always start my chest day with the flat bench, and work my way around to inclines after usually doing at least 2 or 3 other chest exercises. So the muscles on incline are significantly fatigued which have probably led to smaller strength gains.

I will just start rotating my incline position in the depth chart to help minimize the difference. I just didn't want to wind up doing double on flat what I did on incline, that would make me sad.

Another question I would have is will increased strength on the incline bench translate to further increases in flat bench strength, or are the two mutually exclusive?
    Gains on incline will translate to improvement on the flat bench because incline is going to build your anterior deltoids up significantly along with the upper pectoral muscles.

This means that on flat bench, when your at the bottom of the range of motion your shoulders are going to be that much stronger to be able to initiate the concentric (contraction) phase of the bench press.
    Tie your shoes = ready for anything

Too Tough To Die

Originally Posted by DaBurg3r View Post
    Gains on incline will translate to improvement on the flat bench because incline is going to build your anterior deltoids up significantly along with the upper pectoral muscles.

This means that on flat bench, when your at the bottom of the range of motion your shoulders are going to be that much stronger to be able to initiate the concentric (contraction) phase of the bench press.
    Awesome man, thanks. That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome man, thanks. That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.
    Are you planning to keep your full progress with your bench?
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Are you planning to keep your full progress with your bench?
    Just going to shoot for 400 on the flat bench at the moment. That's my overall goal, but it's not time sensitive. So I don't mind taking a few extra weeks to make my other muscles stronger. Should only help me in the long run.