Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best form of self defense?

Basically I'm just wondering what you guys reckon is the best form of self defense for example boxing over kick boxing?
    Just looking for opinions here not including guns/ weapons...

Thanks!

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Both are good. If I had to choose one of them, it would be kickboxing because of the added use of kicks. Or consider MMA.

Another useful thing is to learn some wrestling/Jiu Jitsu/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    A lot of people think that if they know some form of stand-up fighting that they'll never end up on ground. Well, if someone is determined on taking you to the ground, they'll take you to the ground - and you better be able to defend yourself there.
    If you go with MMA you'll learn good deal of standup, grappling, takedowns, and ground fighting.

SmothersUSA73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmothersUSA73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Depends on the user really.

Originally Posted by JMS1993 View Post
    Basically I'm just wondering what you guys reckon is the best form of self defense for example boxing over kick boxing?
    Just looking for opinions here not including guns/ weapons...

Thanks!

As much as you might hate me for giving you an answer/no answer, I'll do it anyways. There really isn't a "best" self defense art out there. If you're determined to defend yourself and put in the time/effort, then any form of martial art is going to work. Sort of like if someone buys a Ferrari and then wrecks it, would you say it was a poor car, or a poor driver?

In my opinion, if I were just starting out, I would look for the most practical. No doubt about it, you must have full contact experience, otherwise you'll never know what it's really like to defend yourself. Plus you get the added benefit of intense exercise while you train.
    If I were you, I would start out with kickboxing or boxing, whichever you prefer. For practical purposes, those two offer the most applicability in RL situations. It is useful to be familiar with groundwork as well, like the previous poster said, if someone is really intent on getting you on the ground. More than likely it will happen, unless you're experienced enough to knock them out before it happens or are able enough to evade their takedown. Variety is very important, as everything has it's use.

If you wanted to really expand your horizons, after you had become familiar with your first choice and had grappled as well. I would go the Kali route, which offers close quarter weapons defense, hand-to-hand, and a whole lot more. Being comfortable with knives, and clubs, etc is essential since you are most likely to encounter those sort of things in a mugging type situation or maybe you beat someone up and they pick up a weapon to defend their ego, which happens often.

Nothing against traditional arts, like TKD and so on, I've studied them and enjoyed myself. However, the way most people teach them make them almost impossible to be truly effective, due to the rigidness and out-dated self defense techniques (not many people attack with their hand on their hip). I would really only recommend those sort of arts to the person who is fairly capable and confident enough to absorb the useful parts and can see through a lot of the clutter that plagues them.

Hope this helps.

JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMS1993 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you both very much you have both been repped.
    I have decided from the information you both have given me to take up kickboxing.
    One reason down to the fact of practicability e.g. location of training 5 minute walk!

Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'll just leave this at that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU

Alive effective martial arts I know of:
    Judo
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Western Boxing
    Kickboxing
    Muay Thai
    Sambo
    Greco-Roman Wrestling
    Kyokushin Karate (or any offshoot)
    SOME forms of American Kenpo
    SOME forms of Krav Maga (KM is becoming commercialized)
    Practice takes patience, but patience takes practice.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50) Huckrg will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Krav Maga.

Look up some Krav Maga stuff on youtube. Its pretty awesome

Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Huckrg View Post
    Krav Maga.

Look up some Krav Maga stuff on youtube. Its pretty awesome
    Yeah, and you'll notice a lot of the good training is in Israel.

The **** you see here in America is commercialized crap taught by 'instructors' that have only learned it for a couple of years.
    Cardio kickboxing being labeled as Krav Maga.

Seriously, KM has a strong BS factor.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

Never heard of Krav Maga before but like you said I typed it into youtube and wow.
    I really would like to take this up but I have yet to hear of any classes around me :/

SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SOJA has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I've been told KM is useless unless you're a pro at the stuff. Is there any truth to what I was told?

martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Any martial art / training regime where you strike and grapple a lot. Including punches, kicks, knees elbows etc...and ground work. Every lesson should be very very difficult and push you beyond your limits.

Most martial arts should achieve this however most are taught really badly. Look for the best instructors and shop around as it were.

Use commom sense. For example I wouldn't suggest learning something like BJJ on its own for self defence. Although it is very good, in general it's not useful against street fighting as you're normally fighting more than one guy, or in a club or something cos that's where these things start. Still very good to learn if you're willing to do more than one thing.

Muay Thai would be a good place to start, or Krav Maga.

However I'd suggest you try every club around you as you never know which one will be best. An example being that around me the best club is a Taekwondo club. ALthough tkd is normally one of the worst taught (only teaching weak but fast kicks) this one is very good and is taught by an ex military guy who has experience in semi pro boxing and a decent level of BJJ + Hapkido etc...

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if you are considering something for self defense remember that boxing, kickboxing, jiu jitsu, mma, etc are all sports. Something that could win you a point or match in these sports could get you killed.

I see that Krav Maga has been mentioned. That is a well respected system. You just need to make sure you're learning it from a competent teacher, which can be a challenge as they tend to stamp out instructors like they would on an assembly line.

Personally, I am partial to Systema. The only certified instructors are certified by the guy who brought the art to North America. I'm fortunate enough to learn from him as his school is here in Toronto.

martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) martial-man420 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    if you are considering something for self defense remember that boxing, kickboxing, jiu jitsu, mma, etc are all sports. Something that could win you a point or match in these sports could get you killed.

I see that Krav Maga has been mentioned. That is a well respected system. You just need to make sure you're learning it from a competent teacher, which can be a challenge as they tend to stamp out instructors like they would on an assembly line.

Personally, I am partial to Systema. The only certified instructors are certified by the guy who brought the art to North America. I'm fortunate enough to learn from him as his school is here in Toronto.
    Never heard of systema...interesting.

Should point out though that jui jitsu and kickboxing are also martial arts. The sport version is taught pretty differently as you mentioned so it's important for people to realise whether they're learning the martial art or the sport version of each.

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just as an aside, i met a girl once who does KM. her grappling was absolutely terrible. the escapes she got taught; from headlock/choke/rear grab etc were the most ludicrously convoluted series of movements ive ever seen. i wouldnt,and couldnt, recommend that system to anyone.
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    krav maga bottom line!

you can not become an instructor with only a few years training! is it the same level as isreal? prob not but still better for real life situations than any other discipline IMO

the form isnt taught to fight its taught to get away! in most cases ur not on the ground as an attacker attackes you...

but if ur bad ass in everything then you dont have anything to worry about!!!
    -------------------------------www.Texas-AP.com--------------------------------------
    --------------------- join us on face book: txapn and txapn stefan ---------------------
    --------------------- HOWS THIS GAME GOING TO REMEMBER YOU? ---------------------

canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) canjad80 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The big difference between KM and "traditional" martial arts is that KM is based on the assumption that your attacker will not stop until you're dead. There's no quarter given. You neutralize (ie; cripple) your attacker as quickly and effectively as possible. The word most often used to describe KM is: BRUTAL.

As mentioned by txapn, KM is not about fighting. It wasn't made for sport or sparring. It's about escape and survival.

Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There is no system that will magically protect you in every scenario. That comes down to experience and practice.

My advice is to do some research, find something you like, try some free classes at a few places and make your decision. If you still like it after a few months, you'll know you found something worth staying with for a while.

The key is to find something you like where at least some of the training is dedicated to practice against a live, resisting partner (somebody trying to hit you back). With time, you'll learn everything you need to know.

20% of your moves will serve you 80% of the time. In other words, anything other than the basics is rarely required.

illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've trained in krav maga for years, as well as MMA and AMOK! knife fighting. I've also spent a lot of time in Israel training with some very skilled groups of people. I truly believe krav maga is the most effective system as it is relatively easy to pick up, and focuses a lot more on "dirty fighting", something straight MMA cannot focus on. Of course, many concepts in krav are borrowed from many other styles, but it really does only focus on what is effective at diffusing situations as quickly as possible. Now, even training in something like krav doesn't necessarily prepare you for every situation, or even situations you have practiced in a dojo. When the sh*t hits the fan it is very difficult to execute what you have learned without constant repetition.

I do live in South Africa where the threat of personal attack is very prevalent, and I'm very vigilant of where I am and what I do, and in most cases, this keeps me out of trouble, but I train constantly for if and when something happens. I don't know what the law is regarding weapons in the UK is, but here in SA I ALWAYS carry a knife on me because it gives me such an edge (no pun intended) in a real situation.

A word of warning though; certain krav maga schools *cough* IKMF *cough* are simply atrocious money-making schemes. Some withhold certain training from newer students claiming the concepts are "advanced", all in an attempt to keep students there for longer. This is wrong because in krav maga, there really isnt anything "advanced"; everything should be taught to everyone as quickly as possible. In fact, most of the clips you see on youtube are choreographed and are not true representations of what is reasonably executable in a real-life situation.

The rigidity of traditional martial arts and the length of time required to become proficient makes many of them less effective in real life, however, I do enjoy combining some joint locks from jiu-jitsu and other aikido concepts in my krav just to expand my horizons a little bit. hope this helps.

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SmothersUSA73 View Post
    If you wanted to really expand your horizons, after you had become familiar with your first choice and had grappled as well. I would go the Kali route, which offers close quarter weapons defense, hand-to-hand, and a whole lot more. Being comfortable with knives, and clubs, etc is essential since you are most likely to encounter those sort of things in a mugging type situation or maybe you beat someone up and they pick up a weapon to defend their ego, which happens often.

Kali is a good choice if you want to expand. I wouldn't necesarily base my hand-to-hand combat on it, but as far as stick and knife use go, it's great.

I do some Kali/Pekiti-Tirsia Kali at the moment.

I still stand beside avoiding Krav Maga and join a good MMA school as well as finding another self-defense school that teaches knife and gun defenses.

I probably sound like an MMA fanboy but MMA does work for self-defense. It teaches the proper aggression involved in overwhelming your opponent, the overall physical fitness aspect is a plus to consider in outwinding and running your assailant.

Besides, unless you deal with a gun or knife, how different is your mugger going to attack you on the street? Last time I recalled, a punch is still a punch, and a take down is a take down, with many being ****tier or better than others.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

Originally Posted by canjad80 View Post
    The big difference between KM and "traditional" martial arts is that KM is based on the assumption that your attacker will not stop until you're dead. There's no quarter given. You neutralize (ie; cripple) your attacker as quickly and effectively as possible. The word most often used to describe KM is: BRUTAL.

As mentioned by txapn, KM is not about fighting. It wasn't made for sport or sparring. It's about escape and survival.
    Wut?

And don't say KM is too "deadly" to be tested in class through sparring.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomMurry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone that said Kickboxing is clueless. Someone trying to beat your ass isnt going to give you time to set up for a kick. KB also doest teach to defend attacks from behind. All that Daniel-san crane kick nonsense from Karate Kid doesnt make it in the real world.

The 2 best arts for self defense are Ta'i Ch'i and Judo.
    TC uses fluid motion and can both debilitate and injure. Judo uses the attackers own body weight against them, so even the smallest person can adequately defend themselves.

TKD is also fairly decent, but is based on fluidity and not immediate action.
    US Navy Active Duty 1998-2005
    Lt Officer 2005-2008
    Currently "advising" the US Navy

***Misc CIGAR Crew***
    †Italian Crew†

Originally Posted by TomMurry View Post
    Anyone that said Kickboxing is clueless. Someone trying to beat your ass isnt going to give you time to set up for a kick. KB also doest teach to defend attacks from behind. All that Daniel-san crane kick nonsense from Karate Kid doesnt make it in the real world.

The 2 best arts for self defense are Ta'i Ch'i and Judo.
    TC uses fluid motion and can both debilitate and injure. Judo uses the attackers own body weight against them, so even the smallest person can adequately defend themselves.

TKD is also fairly decent, but is based on fluidity and not immediate action.
    This is 2011, not 1990. We already know a lot of Krotty crane stance/lightning palm blast doesn't work. Kickboxing != Karate

If you can find a good Tai Chi Chuan school that follows and agrees with the video I posted, more power to you.

TKD is no better than Kickboxing. Too many high risk spin kicks. It would be a lot better for self-defense if they taught better punches and less fancy kicks.

I do agree with you that Judo is a great self-defense art. Many bouncers in Spokane swear by it. It's been proven, so no argument there.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50) illych will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Da-Risin-Smoke View Post
    I still stand beside avoiding Krav Maga and join a good MMA school as well as finding another self-defense school that teaches knife and gun defenses.

I probably sound like an MMA fanboy but MMA does work for self-defense. It teaches the proper aggression involved in overwhelming your opponent, the overall physical fitness aspect is a plus to consider in outwinding and running your assailant.

Besides, unless you deal with a gun or knife, how different is your mugger going to attack you on the street? Last time I recalled, a punch is still a punch, and a take down is a take down, with many being ****tier or better than others.
    This makes no sense at all. Krav Maga has been designed to be effective for knives and guns and sticks depending on which system you follow. Also, krav maga's effectiveness is DEPENDENT on aggression. Straight up MMA, at least here in South Africa is taught using the rules of the professional EFC championship, the equivalent of UFC in the States. It does not focus on ending a fight through attacking points like the groin, eyes, neck etc., areas which can diffuse a fight immediately. It really isn't recommended that you take someone to the ground in a real fight, because then it becomes just that: a fight. I would rather just say, end it as quickly as possible using a KM formula defence.

That does not mean MMA doesn't have its uses, because it does, but why not get the best of both worlds: fighting and weapons defence.

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Some key things when choosing a self defense school art.

Consider your self and the instructor.

THere are some usefull MAs and some far less effective ones, but its you application of it that counts. As tyler Durden once said (well something like) " how much do you know of yourself if you've never been in a fight?"

I've seen some well drilled fighting machines turn into windmilling simpletons as soon as they get a decent shot landed on them. Controlling your adrenaline/fear/anger is almost 70% of the battle as when you hit panic mode its amazing the technique memorty loss that goes on. But seriously, if you've never been hit in the face and think you can fight. You are in dream land that you are going to as tough on the kerb as you are in the dojo

Don't judge an art by the practitioner. Machida seemed to get all the Karate kids in whirl because his background and scalps, but lets not be silly. He's kick ass no matter what he trained it. He has a natural aptitude for striking and distancing. In the same stroke, if you see a 'spanner' who trans Krav Maga and can't fight, that doesn't mean its whack. some people can't fight.

What type of person are you? Do you like hurting people or do you want a gentle resolution. Krav Maga done effectively is the best self defense IMO, but you have to be prepared to instinctively gouge someones eyes, hit them in a throat and baby maker. Its easy to say on the t'interweb that I'll do anything for survival, but in real life its a different matter. I couldn't happily choke someone unconcious and put them in the recovery (with a cheeky boot in the ribs) but a throat punch or bite would be uninstinctive to me

Consider the instructor. Does he want his team to be artists, sports performers or killers. Most will say all 3 (ish), but from what i see most fall into 1.

A good boxing street kung fu coach will teach you better than crappy sport focus BBJ coach who never got you to stand up once in training. You need the best balance though.

So what have we learnt kids? Spar, get used to being hit, learn how to deal with the situation then apply good quality training from a qualified person to finish the fight the best you can. Remember training is that. Its not the event.

other than that, if some one want to hurt you they might not be alone. There is only one reliable self defense against multiple attackers. Its called = GTFO!!!! Joking aside. Winning the battle is not the war. I hardly live in compton, but i've heard or people who have run street fights being stabed, shot and set on fire. All in the name of revenge and none of these people saw it happened. They were jumped and they aren't here to tell of their victory toe to toe

Above all make love not war.

Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Find one that you enjoy doing that you know isn't full of crap. I enjoy doing BJJ and I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle myself in a fight if I had to do that..

You can find lots of good styles to learn: boxing, muay thai, kyokoshin karate, bjj, judo, wrestling and the list goes on...

Personally not a fan of any traditional martial arts although some schools are pretty damn good. If you think they aren't just some mcdojo then go for it.

Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Huke is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    What type of person are you? Do you like hurting people or do you want a gentle resolution. Krav Maga done effectively is the best self defense IMO, but you have to be prepared to instinctively gouge someones eyes, hit them in a throat and baby maker. Its easy to say on the t'interweb that I'll do anything for survival, but in real life its a different matter. I couldn't happily choke someone unconcious and put them in the recovery (with a cheeky boot in the ribs) but a throat punch or bite would be uninstinctive to me
    I've never understood people's hangup on eye gouges, groin strikes and throat strikes.

Have you never been hit in the balls? It definitely sucks, but I've never been totally incapacitated by it. In most cases, a groin strike would probably just piss the guy off. At best it would just do what a strike anywhere else would do -- provide impact and some discomfort.

Eye gouges and throat strikes, I tend to put in the same category. They can be used sometimes, but from regular striking distance they are fairly low probability of success attacks. People instinctively protect their throat and eyes. It is especially hard to target someone's throat from striking distance when their chin is down. Against someone who is used to sparring, it can be hard enough to land a basic punch to the head. It would be even more difficult having to aim your finger directly into their eye. That kind of effort would be better used in trying to land a solid punch on a much broader target, such as the jaw or nose.

Throat attacks and eye gouges would be much more suitable in a close clinch or grappling range. They'd be fairly useful for making space and giving your opponent something to worry about as part of a set up for a more effective attack.

As far as Krav goes, I'd be more interested in learning how to use things like shin rakes and a few other moves that you wouldn't see too often in other traditional and sport places. Knife defenses are fairly widespread in martial arts, but defenses against an attacker holding a gun aren't. I wouldn't mind learning that, too. Then again, even the gun defenses would only be useful against someone who wanted to shoot you while standing next to you.

Originally Posted by Huke View Post

In most cases, a groin strike would probably just piss the guy off. At best it would just do what a strike anywhere else would do -- provide impact and some discomfort.
    LOL @ this.

I have yet to witness a full-on groin attack (and I have seen a few) where the guy was anything but incapacitated afterwards.

Originally Posted by Huke View Post
    Knife defenses are fairly widespread in martial arts, but defenses against an attacker holding a gun aren't. I wouldn't mind learning that, too. Then again, even the gun defenses would only be useful against someone who wanted to shoot you while standing next to you.
    You'd be surprised how many different gun disarms there are that are being taught, some even being taught in traditional martials arts schools. Most are absolute garbage, and my experience has taught me that there are probably 3 or 4 gun disarms worth learning, all coming from israeli krav maga.
    Last edited by illych; 05-26-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Originally Posted by illych View Post
    This makes no sense at all. Krav Maga has been designed to be effective for knives and guns and sticks depending on which system you follow. Also, krav maga's effectiveness is DEPENDENT on aggression. Straight up MMA, at least here in South Africa is taught using the rules of the professional EFC championship, the equivalent of UFC in the States. It does not focus on ending a fight through attacking points like the groin, eyes, neck etc., areas which can diffuse a fight immediately. It really isn't recommended that you take someone to the ground in a real fight, because then it becomes just that: a fight. I would rather just say, end it as quickly as possible using a KM formula defence.

That does not mean MMA doesn't have its uses, because it does, but why not get the best of both worlds: fighting and weapons defence.
    Ah yes the deadly groin/eyes/throat card.

Does Krav Maga focus on attacking the eyes/groin/throat in a full contact matter against a fully resisting opponent? If you say yes, I don't believe you.

These types of dirty tricks are too predictable, and poking the eyes out of someone choking you isn't going to deter your attacker who has dominant control. I guarantee you'd think differently the next time you tried to poke someone's eye out that's choking you, after he twisted your neck, because he had complete control of it.

Now tell me, can you do your "eye pokes" against an opponent that is always moving around while trying to aim for a target the size of quarter, while at the same time his intent is too "kill you" as you KM endorsers say?

Your school may endorse these types of dirty tricks, but last time I remembered KM didn't copyright the eye gouge. Any person can poke an eye with a finger.

I guarantee if you look into fight statistics you'll find very little attacks are deterred and stopped from eye pokes and throat punches.

My only point is, finding a good Krav Maga school around here in the US is like trying to find a tasty Keystone Light beer. It will be hard. I don't know the quality control of KM in Africa is, but again PLEASE look at the video I posted in the beginning.
    That is the only honest and easy way to determine if what you practice really works.

This is why I hold high respect for full contact arts like MMA and Kyokushin Karate due to their stress testing and the point system of winning via knockout or submission, which can reflect a real fight, with exceptions being you can't throw elbows and you don't have that convenient glass bottle laying around.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    Some key things when choosing a self defense school art.

Consider your self and the instructor.

THere are some usefull MAs and some far less effective ones, but its you application of it that counts. As tyler Durden once said (well something like) " how much do you know of yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
    Okay, this is good.

Then I see this. Eye gouges, throat punches, groin strikes. Again, how do you know you can pull this off if you haven't done it in real life? Practicing drills on a BOB or on focus mitts don't count. Again, if you can't pull it off against a fully resistant opponent, I don't believe you can do it, other than sheer luck.

A good boxing street kung fu coach will teach you better than crappy sport focus BBJ coach who never got you to stand up once in training. You need the best balance though.
    What the hell is boxing street kung fu? You should see what pure grapplers can do to pure strikers in the older tournaments, it's quite interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9mER2BmNRA

Gene LeBell being one of the best examples.
    Last edited by Da-Risin-Smoke; 05-26-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!

Originally Posted by Da-Risin-Smoke View Post
    Ah yes the deadly groin/eyes/throat card.

Does Krav Maga focus on attacking the eyes/groin/throat in a full contact matter against a fully resisting opponent? If you say yes, I don't believe you.

These types of dirty tricks are too predictable, and poking the eyes out of someone choking you isn't going to deter your attacker who has dominant control. I guarantee you'd think differently the next time you tried to poke someone's eye out that's choking you, after he twisted your neck, because he had complete control of it.

Now tell me, can you do your "eye pokes" against an opponent that is always moving around while trying to aim for a target the size of quarter, while at the same time his intent is too "kill you" as you KM endorsers say?

Your school may endorse these types of dirty tricks, but last time I remembered KM didn't copyright the eye gouge. Any person can poke an eye with a finger.

I guarantee if you look into fight statistics you'll find very little attacks are deterred and stopped from eye pokes and throat punches.

My only point is, finding a good Krav Maga school around here in the US is like trying to find a tasty Keystone Light beer. It will be hard. I don't know the quality control of KM in Africa is, but again PLEASE look at the video I posted in the beginning.
    That is the only honest and easy way to determine if what you practice really works.

This is why I hold high respect for full contact arts like MMA and Kyokushin Karate due to their stress testing and the point system of winning via knockout or submission, which can reflect a real fight, with exceptions being you can't throw elbows and you don't have that convenient glass bottle laying around.
    I never said KM focused entirely on groin strikes/eye gauges against a fully resisting opponent. I was merely trying to say that we practice those specific techniques as extra tools in a threatening situation. The way they would normally be used over here is if someone was in your face but not resisting fully, but rather trying to intimidate you. Trying to land an eye gauge, or a throat strike against a guy coming at you full-on would obviously be impossible for most people including myself. I would rather just use the experiences of full contact sparring sessions to see what works somewhat at making sure I don't get hit. At the end of the day, I would rather land one strike and try and escape rather than try and fight, and I certainly would never attempt to land a submission in a real fight.

The video you posted is a actually a good one as it does explain that strict dojo techniques don't really work very well under stress, and in our dojo we really don't practice complicated submissions or many formula defences. We rather just get into a ring, spar full-on and see what happens, pretty much.