ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

3pm crash every day

No matter what I get groggy and tired at about 3pm...every day. Without fail. Caffeine only makes it worse. Its so predictable I can sit at my desk and can look at the clock turn 3pm and start to notice my fatigue set in. I get that 3pm crash even after a good night's sleep.

It often makes hardcore training after work almost impossible unless I take a nap first (the nap cures this problem but I cant take a nap wherever I am.) Its really been my achilles heel for years now.

Anyone have this issue or have tips on this on how to overcome with?? Tried anything that works? I am considering cutting out carbs until night time, dunno. Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by ChiefRocka; 05-24-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Iron. Boxing. NFL. Mob stuff. New York City breed.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you sit in an office/cube all day? This happens to me as well, flourescent lighting for too long makes me like this. Try getting outside at 2:30pm and take a walk outside in the fresh air if you do work inside.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I get that around 5-7 pm.

I think I will blame carbs for this!

ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChiefRocka is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Do you sit in an office/cube all day? This happens to me as well, flourescent lighting for too long makes me like this. Try getting outside at 2:30pm and take a walk outside in the fresh air if you do work inside.
    Yea bro, cubicle work for me. And No fluorescent lighting here, just typical office lights. But I've tried getting up and walking around and doesn't seem to do the trick.

Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    I get that around 5-7 pm.

Every now and then I get it around that time too...but almost always earlier than that.

Great hair, decent ass otterakl's Avatar
    otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you eat a heavy lunch? This can certainly have an effect. Also, as others mentioned, try walking around every so often and make sure you are staying hydrated.

Following that, if it is something that you cannot "cure" and is affecting your life, go see your PCP and get his/her input.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    -Mark Twain

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
    No matter what I get groggy and tired at about 3pm...every day. Without fail. Caffeine only makes it worse. Its so predictable I can sit at my desk and can look at the clock turn 3pm and start to notice my fatigue set in. I get that 3pm crash even after a good night's sleep.

It often makes hardcore training after work almost impossible unless I take a nap first (the nap cures this problem but I cant take a nap wherever I am.) Its really been my achilles hill for years now.

Anyone have this issue or have tips on this on how to overcome with?? Tried anything that works? I am considering cutting out carbs until night time, dunno. Any advice is appreciated.
    When I lived close to work, I took at nap after lunch for 40 minutes (since I slowed down my coffee drinking, this happened around 2:30). It was easily the best solution. Set a private meeting on the email and zonk out for a little while. Better productivity overall.
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs.

My 5/3/1 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142349681

Originally Posted by otterakl View Post
    Do you eat a heavy lunch? This can certainly have an effect. Also, as others mentioned, try walking around every so often and make sure you are staying hydrated.

Following that, if it is something that you cannot "cure" and is affecting your life, go see your PCP and get his/her input.
    Right, I've gotten every test known to man but no issues. I also read about adrenal fatigue and thought that was my problem and got tested for that also, but nothing. All my bloodwork from pcp, rheumatologist, endocrinologist shows no issues whatsoever! Its kind of frustrating.

And no, never eat a heavy lunch but my lunch almost always does have carbs.

Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    When I lived close to work, I took at nap after lunch for 40 minutes (since I slowed down my coffee drinking, this happened around 2:30). It was easily the best solution. Set a private meeting on the email and zonk out for a little while. Better productivity overall.
    Nothing cures it like a nap...but i really have to be comfortable to nap and cant just close my eyes in a chair and sleep. When I go home and nap, i wake up feeling supercharged. Only down side is I cant go to sleep til real late after that.

Sugar is fattening thenaturalguy's Avatar
    thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) thenaturalguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I get like this at school, usually around 1:00-2:30 I crash, it sucks and happened every day! Getting fresh air outside helps though...which is really weird!

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Right, I've gotten every test known to man but no issues. I also read about adrenal fatigue and thought that was my problem and got tested for that also, but nothing. All my bloodwork from pcp, rheumatologist, endocrinologist shows no issues whatsoever! Its kind of frustrating.

And no, never eat a heavy lunch but my lunch almost always does have carbs.
    An MD tested you for adrenal fatigue?
    Who do men say that I am?

Originally Posted by sunngodd View Post
    An MD tested you for adrenal fatigue?
    Well he was convinced there is no such thing as adrenal fatigue and that it was a made up disorder...but I researched so many articles to the contrary, guess its something the medical field is divided on. Whatever the case, I definitely had the symptoms described.

The test for adrenal fatigue simply involves testing cortisol levels and a few other things. He ran a comprehensive blood test for me, all of which showed no abnormalities.

rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rrbb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    would love to find an answer to this... by 2-2:30pm i CRASH hard. only have 1 cup of coffee in the AM... i'm struggling to work 8 hours since i started training 6 months ago....

hope you figure it out OP....

mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100) mrpatrson is not very well liked. (-100)
    I work construction and I am generally around fresh air all day, besides dust and crap. However everyday when I get off at 230 im tired as **** on the way home and it takes all I got to stay awake.
    lift as hard as possible!

quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) quayleman33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i get the same thing at work. but im lucky enough to have a job that permits me to take a nap if needed. thats if we are not out on a call.

jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrcoreymv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to be the exact same as you, at 2pm I'd just become exhausted. I've noticed the last couple weeks (since I started IF) I've had much more energy throughout the day, even during my fast. Maybe it's a fluke, but maybe eating larger meals (~900-1000 cals) resulted in more energy for an extended period than when I was sucking down 400ish calorie meals more frequently.

It's 3:30 here now and I ain't tired at all. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by rrbb View Post
    would love to find an answer to this... by 2-2:30pm i CRASH hard. only have 1 cup of coffee in the AM... i'm struggling to work 8 hours since i started training 6 months ago....

hope you figure it out OP....
    Right. I will be experimenting with different things and if i find something that works will post in this thread.

Originally Posted by jrcoreymv View Post
    I used to be the exact same as you, at 2pm I'd just become exhausted. I've noticed the last couple weeks (since I started IF) I've had much more energy throughout the day, even during my fast. Maybe it's a fluke, but maybe eating larger meals (~900-1000 cals) resulted in more energy for an extended period than when I was sucking down 400ish calorie meals more frequently.

It's 3:30 here now and I ain't tired at all. Just a thought.
    Sorry, can you tell me what IF is? As for the meals, so are you saying you ate a big lunch and breakfast and that helped with your fatigue?

deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) deadpool9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by joelash302 View Post
    This.
    I used to have the same problem as the OP. (I work in a cube, florescent lights, not much activity though the day). So now at lunch, I go out to my car and sleep for about 30 minutes. Makes the rest of the day MUCH easier.
    There is no spoon.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: For I am the baddest man in the valley.

We all only have today and right now, but without death being pressed upon us we hide behind our false pretense of immortality. - Lvisaa

RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RSS1761 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i use to have the same problem work from 8am -5pm then by my workout feeling drained. but I found the cure to that. I know wake up at 5 and train from 5:45-7 and in bed by 10 at night. My workouts are 10X better now im training early morning fasted.
    Untill you decide that NOTHING will stop you from SUCCESS, EVERYTHING will!!!

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kusok View Post

Lulz but so true. Low carbing it for me meant an end to afternoon crashes.

usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) usawinston is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do 25-50 burpees and the crash will probably dissapear.

ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000) ParsonBrown is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was having periods of really struggling with this myself before I lost weight...and then it continued after I lost weight, so I was really scratching my head on it too. I have always trained first thing in AM fasted, and I do believe it helps.

I finally figured out my problem. I was laying in bed for 6-8 hrs/night, but I was not resting. I had a wore out matress. New matress = no more afternoon crashes for me now! If the quality of your sleep at night is garbage it will mess up the day for you...

TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TruStatement is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dont have a job so I can pretty much nap whenever I want, but whenever I crash and need to stay awake, I just do some bodyweight squats, lunges, pushups, and jumping jacks to get my blood flowing and then I feel good. It might be entirely a mental thing, idk, but it works for me.

jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000) jnycs is just really nice. (+1000)
    What time are you working out OP?
    I find that training in the morning really wakes me up. Some days I feel a bit tired from the workout, but it's more of a relaxed feeling then a complete knockout.
    Try to change your sleeping schedule to make that work.

EDIT:
    Originally Posted by RSS1761 View Post
    i use to have the same problem work from 8am -5pm then by my workout feeling drained. but I found the cure to that. I know wake up at 5 and train from 5:45-7 and in bed by 10 at night. My workouts are 10X better now im training early morning fasted.
    This guy has got the idea.

Originally Posted by deadpool9 View Post
    This.
    I used to have the same problem as the OP. (I work in a cube, florescent lights, not much activity though the day). So now at lunch, I go out to my car and sleep for about 30 minutes. Makes the rest of the day MUCH easier.
    Yea, a nap is really the end-all cure to this problem. But it takes me forever to fall asleep if I am anywhere but my bed or am not drunk. I used to try napping on this couch in our office backroom and it would take me 20 minutes to get comfortable, another 10 minutes to fall asleep, then before I know it some noise outside the door would wake me up and I wound up more tired than i was before!

Sometimes when I get home around 6:30pm, i take a nap and wake up refreshed and energized...but then i would be up til 2 or 3am, then lose a few hours of sleep during the night then wake up tired again. If I had a bed somewhere to crash on during my lunch break, this would be my cure.

Originally Posted by jnycs View Post
    What time are you working out OP?
    I find that training in the morning really wakes me up. Some days I feel a bit tired from the workout, but it's more of a relaxed feeling then a complete knockout.
    Try to change your sleeping schedule to make that work.

EDIT:

This guy has got the idea.
    I almost always work out between 7pm and 8:30pm during the week. I absolutely cannot work out in the morning because the morning is my anti-christ. Since i was a little kid I have not been a morning person and my energy doesn't come around until about 2 hours after i wake up. Forget about waking up before 6am, whenever I do I feel like sh*t all day.

Although this carb thing does have me curious...wondering if I save my carbs for morning and dinner and skip the carbs in lunch, if that would prevent crashing. Shall give this a try.

TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) TransientBeing is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Yea, a nap is really the end-all cure to this problem. But it takes me forever to fall asleep if I am anywhere but my bed or am not drunk. I used to try napping on this couch in our office backroom and it would take me 20 minutes to get comfortable, another 10 minutes to fall asleep, then before I know it some noise outside the door would wake me up and I wound up more tired than i was before!

Sometimes when I get home around 6:30pm, i take a nap and wake up refreshed and energized...but then i would be up til 2 or 3am, then lose a few hours of sleep during the night then wake up tired again. If I had a bed somewhere to crash on during my lunch break, this would be my cure.

I almost always work out between 7pm and 8:30pm during the week. I absolutely cannot work out in the morning because the morning is my anti-christ. Since i was a little kid I have not been a morning person and my energy doesn't come around until about 2 hours after i wake up. Forget about waking up before 6am, whenever I do I feel like sh*t all day.

Although this carb thing does have me curious...wondering if I save my carbs for morning and dinner and skip the carbs in lunch, if that would prevent crashing. Shall give this a try.
    pretty sure nutrition timing has nothing to do with this , you said it yourself you've done every blood work , test known to man .
    there is nothing wrong with you , you just developed a sleeping habit .
    You say its hard to sleep anywhere else but home or a bed . Now if you were genuinely tired it wouldn matter where you slept your body will just adapt and go to sleep. Your habit not only involves the time you sleep but also the place that you consider comfy and not just any place . your home.
    My solution to you would be to try to stay awake during this time as much as possible , get your mind off sleep and remove all "ideas" of sleep. Play an online game or something , hand held consoles or something like a puzzle etc . Im not saying get rid of a habit by starting a new one , just do this for a couple of weeks till your body gets used to the new trend. Its all in your head bro as a youngster you may or may not have slept at 3 but something made you get this habit.......be creative and try to stay awake . Habits die hard ....... Good luck.