ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body fat % measurement calculation

How are people doing this these days?
    40 years ago we got lowered into a pool and let out all our air. Or the caliper measurements on a bunch of places.
    I am hoping there are easier home solutions to answering this question these days.
    I just need an approximate for monitoring progress (probably should have asked this question 4 months ago).

Thanks

Vintage Dave

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ducecoop View Post
    ..... home solutions ....
    If you really need to know a number (for charting out a cut plan), calipers are your only choice. Like any other method, their accuracy depends on repeatability; measuring the same locations the same way at the same time of day every time.

Or, you could forget all that, and use the mirror, the fit of your clothes, and regularly-taken progress pics.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Striving to Master my Bod ajw1970's Avatar
    ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajw1970 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How are people doing this these days?
    40 years ago we got lowered into a pool and let out all our air. Or the caliper measurements on a bunch of places.
    I am hoping there are easier home solutions to answering this question these days.
    I just need an approximate for monitoring progress (probably should have asked this question 4 months ago).

Thanks

Vintage Dave
    I went with the BodPod (http://www.bodpod.com) found one at a local university with public testing for $30 the first time. It's the next best thing to the water tank method. Took about 10 minutes from start to finish... actual test is only seconds. Supposed to be accurate within 2%.
    Seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you. -Mat 6:33

There's only one way to lose weight wisely and permanently, and it's no secret. It's simple, but it's not easy: exercise and eat right, consistently.
    and
    You can soak in specifics, ketogenics, periodization pcts and the facts, fallacies, myths and mysteries of hypertrophy...I'll be at the gym. -Dave Draper

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134207181

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get the Accumeasure Caliper, sold here. It's a single point BF test with a conversion chart. It's about as accurate as anything else within reason. Even if the number isn't right, if you take the measurment consistently, you'll be able to guage your progress.

Best of all, it's a whopping one time investment of about ten dollars!!
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"

ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ducecoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Cape1 View Post
    Even if the number isn't right, if you take the measurment consistently, you'll be able to guage your progress.
    That was exactly my point. Do not care about the actual number, just care the the number is getting smaller over the long term using a method that I can do consistently the same way. I only want to compare to me (the old me, the new me.....) not compare to anyone else.

Thanks

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That was exactly my point. Do not care about the actual number, just care the the number is getting smaller over the long term using a method that I can do consistently the same way. I only want to compare to me (the old me, the new me.....) not compare to anyone else.

Thanks
    Then Ironwill's advice is the way to go. Whether or not your tightening your belt is the best and cheapest way to know if you're losing body-fat.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Then Ironwill's advice is the way to go. Whether or not your tightening your belt is the best and cheapest way to know if you're losing body-fat.
    well then I am doing good cause I had to buy a new belt and have moved to 2 notches already.

Thanks for all the replies.

Calipers ordered (along with $100 of expensive pee maker )

Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taur has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the handheld Omron Bodyfat Analyzer. These can be picked up for about $25.00 at Amazon. The reviews are pretty good at amazon too. For me it is a pretty good way to track by bodyfat from month to month.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-1032338-.../dp/B00006WNPU

I like it because I can do it myself, and as long as I follow the instructions and use it at the same time every morning I can monitor myself regularly. It is like my bathroom scale with the big digiral readout I have; while it may not be as accurate as the $1,000 scale in my doctor's office, it does give me a good indication of the change in my weight from week to week and I can read it in the morning without my glasses or contacts.

For a one time charge of $25.00, I consider this a must buy, for the single person watching their bodyfat. Calipers are great, but they are a 2 person job, and who can afford to pay $30.00 every single time they want their BF tested?

A warning should be placed for All Bodybuilders who are trying to get down to say 6% bodyfat as I have been told that the Omron Bodyfat Analyzer is not accurate that low.