stevehuff has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pain/tearing feeling in abdomen during heavy squats

I’ve been doing Rippetoe’s Starting Strength for about 4 weeks and am at the most weight (150lbs) I’ve ever done on the squat. I’m 44, male, have always been thin at 6'1" and 165lbs, and in good shape. The past two times I’ve felt what I can only describe as something tearing/bursting inside my abdomen, below my waist and above my groin on my left side. Not very painful, but a mild burning sensation when it happens. No bump or pain after the workout, so it doesn’t seem like an inguinal hernia. Any ideas on what this could be? My form wasn’t the best when I felt this, and when I do use good form I don’t have a problem. Any ideas on how to protect against this, besides using good form?

Thanks.

Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000) Runic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I don't know exactly but I have felt this in almost the same place when I was doing deadlifts that were too heavy for me. The only thing I can think is that you are pulling/tearing a muscle in your lower abs. If you know you aren't using good form then I would strongly suggest you cut the weight back and don't raise it until you own the weight.

One of my biggest mistakes was trying to raise the weight too quickly. Take it slow and really nail the form at one weight before adding more and getting sloppy. The saying "Build strength don't demonstrate it" seems to apply here.

Take your time and be patient. Getting hurt trying to do more weight than what you are currently capable of doing will just slow down your progress. Also, for what it is worth I kept hurting myself using the Rippetoe method of driving with the hips first. I switched to driving up with my chin in the air and so far so good.

Try watching some of the Scott Abel videos on Youtube as I have gotten a lot of good info about bodybuilding from him.

Older But Getting Better Old Bob's Avatar
    Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Old Bob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by stevehuff View Post
    I’ve been doing Rippetoe’s Starting Strength for about 4 weeks and am at the most weight (150lbs) I’ve ever done on the squat. I’m 44, male, have always been thin at 6'1" and 165lbs, and in good shape. The past two times I’ve felt what I can only describe as something tearing/bursting inside my abdomen, below my waist and above my groin on my left side. Not very painful, but a mild burning sensation when it happens. No bump or pain after the workout, so it doesn’t seem like an inguinal hernia. Any ideas on what this could be? My form wasn’t the best when I felt this, and when I do use good form I don’t have a problem. Any ideas on how to protect against this, besides using good form?

Thanks.
    It sure sounds like an hernia to me and here's a source for more information. If it's a hernia you need to see a medical doctor as soon as possible to prevent further harm. The chance of this becoming a nightmare are too great to chance an incorrect self misdiagnosis.
    http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...nguinalhernia/

Old Bob
    Getting Old Ain't For Sissys... ;)

Eat to Live... Don't Live to Eat!!!

1951 Body by Gold's Gym and a LOT of Blood, Sweat, and Tears...

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I didn't have any outward protrusions when I had my ingunial hernia either.

zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zodzod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    I didn't have any outward protrusions when I had my ingunial hernia either.
    I'll call the Dr and get things checked out. Bummer.

Did you have any other symptoms? The only thing I felt was a tear/burn when it happened, but nothing since.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I felt a strong pressure on my left nut all the time.

Thanks for the responses. Saw the doctor - no signs of a hernia (yea!) - thinks it may be a muscle tear. I'll be on the lookout for a lump in the area that bulges with a cough, or a dull, achy pain when standing, and will be taking it easy on the squats for the next week.

Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Devin1822 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by stevehuff View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Saw the doctor - no signs of a hernia (yea!) - thinks it may be a muscle tear. I'll be on the lookout for a lump in the area that bulges with a cough, or a dull, achy pain when standing, and will be taking it easy on the squats for the next week.
    Holy crap. I just experienced the same exact thing doing squats today. It was a sharp pain followed by an extreme burning sensation like I was stabbed in the left lower abdomen with a hot poker.

No bulges or pain afterwards. The pain and the burning sensation went away quickly. Lasted 10-15 seconds maybe.

Went and saw the doc and he checked me out and said the same thing, no hernia. His thought was that I was just putting a lot of stress on muscle there during the squat.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Devin1822 View Post
    Holy crap. I just experienced the same exact thing doing squats today. It was a sharp pain followed by an extreme burning sensation like I was stabbed in the left lower abdomen with a hot poker.

No bulges or pain afterwards. The pain and the burning sensation went away quickly. Lasted 10-15 seconds maybe.

Went and saw the doc and he checked me out and said the same thing, no hernia. His thought was that I was just putting a lot of stress on muscle there during the squat.
    Me too, a couple of weeks ago on leg presses. Very strange feeling in lower right abdomen. I found that hernia do not necessarily always manifest as a palpable lump. Maybe it was just a slight muscle strain or something else but I'm taking it easy on the LP for a while. No need to throw another injury on the fire If I get the same feeling again I will definitely go to the doctor.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Location: worcester, worcestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    cale89 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cale89 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I had the same thing today stabbing/burning pain on the left side hurt like hell for 30seconds or more no idea what it was but after dropping the weight down I didnt get the pain again.

Nickt1030 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post Burning pain in my lower abs

So whenever i squat now or do hamstring curls i get a tight burning sensation in my lower abs. I can do deadlifts fine. I can do 185lb cleans fine but the squats kill me. I have good form and in high school i could front squat around 300s my sophomore year, but ever since i came back to school my junior year i hot this pain. First i started to feel it at 200lbs and now i feel it at 135lbs as a sophomore in college. Since then i haven't done heavier squats and used machines. I don't believe its a hernia seeing its been happening for almost 4yrs. Ive talked to countless trainers and had no success. Also as little baby i did have a hernia but then repaired it. Hopefully some people have answers on here. Thanks

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Stop talking to "countless trainers" (they're not trained or qualified to answer that one) and start talking to a physical therapist... that's what they do!