Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 6'1", 203 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1663
    paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit paquizzle's BodySpace

Scientific Method Homework Help (will rep)

I am having a little bit of trouble with one of my homework assignments. Hope some of the smart guys here can give me some help.

Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a syndrome in which a person has difficulty focusing sustained attention on a task for a significant amount of time. In some cases this is accompanied by hyperactivity as well. It is currently being diagnosed at an all time high. Between 1989 and 1996, youth visits for ADD increased 90%, from 1.9% of total physician visits to 3.6%.

Now a psychiatrist, Dr. Edward Hallowell is making a new distinction. He has described a similar set of characteristics in a large number of patients that he terms Attention Deficit Trait (ADT). It looks a lot like ADD in its day to day manifestation, but unlike ADD, ADT symptoms lessen when the sufferer goes on vacation or into a decreased sensory input setting for an extended time period (on the order of days or weeks). In such a long-term placid situation, the ADD sufferer's problems continue unabated.

We will pretend (assume?!) that you have the general set of symptoms described above. You'd like to know which of these two problems you have: the disorder (ADD) or the trait (ADT). We’ll approach your problem using scientific methodology—developing a question, an hypothesis, an experiment, and a control for the experiment. Let’s share this assignment. I will supply both the initial question and the experiment we’ll perform on you. Your job is to state the hypothesis and to design the most important and most basic control for this experiment:

Your Experiment: Keeping your same diet, sleep habits, and basic activity level, you will be sent on a two week vacation to the Bahama Islands where you will be given only a beach to walk and your favorite friend to talk to, following which you will be asked to read and memorize 10 sequential definitions from a standard dictionary in 30 minutes’ time.

describe a basic, critical control situation (additional experiment?) that will give validity to the experiment described above.
    No Crew Crew

D3: DixyNormus#1418

Airborne! All the way! Sky dragons! GP!
    OIF 3, OIF 4, OND, OEF

I rep back
    I also rep you hoping to get repped back.....

Stats: 5'4", 130 lbs
    justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit justaliife's BodySpace
    Are you really 27, in Iraq? genuinely curious.

brb reading rest of your post.

Originally Posted by paquizzle View Post
    Your job is to state the hypothesis and to design the most important and most basic control for this experiment

Your Experiment: Keeping your same diet, sleep habits, and basic activity level, you will be sent on a two week vacation to the Bahama Islands where you will be given only a beach to walk and your favorite friend to talk to, following which you will be asked to read and memorize 10 sequential definitions from a standard dictionary in 30 minutes’ time. describe a basic, critical control situation (additional experiment?) that will give validity to the experiment described above.

Okay, what is our hypothesis? We have to consider to factors here. A), amount of sensory input and B) is the subject taking a vacation.

A&B) Would this vacation, taking the following details into account: same diet, sleep habits, and basic activity level, you will be sent on a two week vacation to the Bahama Islands where you will be given only a beach to walk and your favorite friend to talk to, following which you will be asked to read and memorize 10 sequential definitions from a standard dictionary in 30 minutes’ time.

Be considered a high or low amount of sensory input?

If the answer is HIGH sensory input, then the hypothesis is that a person suffering from ADT would suffer the same conditions as a person suffering from ADD. However, if the answer is LOW sensory input, then a person suffering from ADT would experience lesser symptoms.

That's basically all I've got. Am I doin it right?

EDIT: You'd like to know which of these two problems you have: the disorder (ADD) or the trait (ADT).

So, in other words, you must go through a test to see which disorder or trait you have. If you can verify that the vacation is of low sensory input, AND you have lesser symptoms, then you have ADT. If, however, the vacation has high sensory input, or it has low sensory input and you experience no lesser symptoms, you have ADD.

OP, fill these out, based on what is written above:

What is the question?
    What is the hypothesis?
    What is our experiment?
    What is the control for the experiment?
    (read what TheCurator has said about this)

I hope I helped, at all.. and not confused you at all.
    Last edited by justaliife; 05-22-2011 at 06:03 AM.

paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) paquizzle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Yeah I am 27 and in Iraq. Is that so hard to believe?
    No Crew Crew

OIF 3, OIF 4, OND, OEF

I rep back

Originally Posted by justaliife View Post

Okay, what is our hypothesis? We have to consider to factors here. A), amount of sensory input and B) is the subject taking a vacation
    Here is the hypothesis I have come up with so far

By taking a relaxing vacation, if I have ADT rather than ADD, my symptoms should lessen, resulting in better concentration abilities.
    No Crew Crew

OIF 3, OIF 4, OND, OEF

I rep back

Registered Sex Offender TheCurator's Avatar
    Stats: 5'11", 178 lbs
    TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TheCurator has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TheCurator's BodySpace
    You need a negative control group that doesn't go on vacation.

But anyway, sample size of 1, study is not blinded. No significant data can be gained.

Solution: Increase sample size. Randomise participant allocation to negative control and test groups.
    1 angry c*nt

justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) justaliife has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    How'd I go on my attempt to help?

How'd I go on my attempt to help?
    You are both helping a lot, but I don't know if I can use multiple test subjects since I am trying to figure out my own disorder/trait.

How about performing the same memorization test while in my normal high sensory environment before taking the vacation?
    No Crew Crew

OIF 3, OIF 4, OND, OEF

I rep back

Originally Posted by paquizzle View Post
    You are both helping a lot, but I don't know if I can use multiple test subjects since I am trying to figure out my own disorder/trait.

How about performing the same memorization test while in my normal high sensory environment before taking the vacation?
    Oh... I didn't realise/think you have to ACTUALLY do it.

The thing is, what would taking the test in normal high sensory environment prove? ADD, same symptoms, ADT, also same symptoms. The only way to determine between ADT and ADD is going on a vacation to see if your symptoms lessen from lower sensory input, meaning you have ADT not ADD. You can do what I mentioned above, by yourself. And don't forget you'll need that friend. Possibly just use the phone for that? idk the specific requirements of this assignment.

CarrieAnn3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Hi

Oh... I didn't realise/think you have to ACTUALLY do it.

The thing is, what would taking the test in normal high sensory environment prove? ADD, same symptoms, ADT, also same symptoms. The only way to determine between ADT and ADD is going on a vacation to see if your symptoms lessen from lower sensory input, meaning you have ADT not ADD. You can do what I mentioned above, by yourself. And don't forget you'll need that friend. Possibly just use the phone for that? idk the specific requirements of this assignment.

First, do not make his complicated. You are like me in this respect as I complicate the simplest things, but I have learned over the years to relax and not think so much on what is being asked of us. We have the question. Now we need a hypothesis (which you have). The experiment is listed. We need control for this experiment. So I believe this assignment is asking one to determine which you have (pretend) ADD or ADT.

Hypothesize this, experiment, and then follow through with the experiment. What is being asked? (only in my opinion) is to prove why you have ADD or ADT after the experiment that was listed. Just go through the motions of finding out the differences between ADD and ADT ( which I believe you have done) and prove it even if you do not have one or the other. It is an assumption.

Did this help? Or did I confuse you more? In any case, I hope that I helped. Email me if you like.