Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Quarter Squats & other trainer madness

This is just me laughing my ass off but I just saw a trainer at the gym have a guy do 1/4 squats and deadlifts with a freakin ez curl bar. I swear I wonder where these trainers get there info from.

Also isn't anything that isn't full form (ATG) bad for the knees on squats, I mean it looked like all the pressure was goin to his knees.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mr.Marvel View Post
    This is just me laughing my ass off but I just saw a trainer at the gym have a guy do 1/4 squats and deadlifts with a freakin ez curl bar. I swear I wonder where these trainers get there info from.

Also isn't anything that isn't full form (ATG) bad for the knees on squats, I mean it looked like all the pressure was goin to his knees.
    There are numerous reasons why partial movements would be used; however, I will agree that the majority of mainstream trainers are relatively clueless. Real knowledge on lifting and fitness cannot be bought.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Marvel has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well I know that partial movements are great provided the guy is training and looking to bust through a plateua. BUT considering the guy was like in his 40's, new to the gym, and learnign movements it made no sense. Especially since she had him doing it in a circuit fashion.

SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpartacusWinch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I too agree about the trainers - but 1/2 and 1/4 quarter reps have their purpose in the weight room. That being said, I would say 95% of the people that are doing a 1/4 rep are actually thinking they are doing the rep properly, as opposed to what the purpose of a partial lift is.

athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000) athletesfirst is just really nice. (+1000)
    Partial reps have their place -- though I don't think people are doing them with the benefits of partials in mind. However, it makes me rage that guys who do 1/2 reps on bench press have a much stronger, fuller, and more muscular chest than me -- /endrant

MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100) MrMisanthrope is not very well liked. (-100)

"On my count, guise! ...And herp, and derp, and herp, and derp... FEEL THE BURN!"

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    well I know that partial movements are great provided the guy is training and looking to bust through a plateua. BUT considering the guy was like in his 40's, new to the gym, and learnign movements it made no sense. Especially since she had him doing it in a circuit fashion.
    not that i disagree with you about trainers, etc... but in this case, since the guy was in his 40's and new to the gym, it's very likely that the guy wouldn't be able to perform a parallel squat with just his body weight, let alone a standard bar on his back.

that said however, if i were in the trainer's shoes, i would have had him trying to do body weight squats while holding on to something for some support, instead of messing around with ez bars.
    i'm hungry

Sexual Tyrannosaurus ftwrestler's Avatar
    ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    There are numerous reasons why partial movements would be used; however, I will agree that the majority of mainstream trainers are relatively clueless. Real knowledge on lifting and fitness cannot be bought.
    unless you are going to college

Originally Posted by MrMisanthrope View Post

"On my count, guise! ...And herp, and derp, and herp, and derp... FEEL THE BURN!"

what is wrong with challanging stability and balance?

edit: i am not agreeing with stupid trainers, but on jump squats i an definatley making a client go down all the way. a 1/2 rep is fine

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yay! another thread in here about what someone saw a commercial gym trainer doing in the gym!

I was just thinking how I wanted to read another one of these threads since the last one was locked about 3 days ago.

Go start a journal to piss and moan in.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diddii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    annoying guy at my gym squating 485lbs (quarter reps) .... then he acts like he's the "man"

ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ftwrestler has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Yay! another thread in here about what someone saw a commercial gym trainer doing in the gym!

I was just thinking how I wanted to read another one of these threads since the last one was locked about 3 days ago.

Go start a journal to piss and moan in.
    made me lol

wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildcat420 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile

You guys are retarded and minding other peoples business.

Discuss.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I agree with WilyKat.

This is just me laughing my ass off but I just saw a trainer at the gym have a guy do 1/4 squats
    Why is this so hilarious? Some people lack flexibility or think that the higher loads build bone strength or something, who knows. Maybe he is using 1/4 squats to stretch his soleus bro.

deadlifts with a freakin ez curl bar.
    All I can figure with this is maybe they find it easier to have a consistant grip because the curves in the bar give memorable locations to hold? I don't really think it matters. I'm having trouble picturing it (I only have a Super-EZ not an EZ) but could this somehow prevent scraping the knees? I don't know how guy was lifting it.

No, not inherently. Eventually if you squat heavy weights through full RoM you'd be putting the same stresses on the knee in the same positions.

I think it's moreso that the lack of flexibility most people have can create imbalances that predispose us to injuries. For example: I heard deeper squats somehow target the vastus intermedius more and that muscle is good for knee health. No idea if either's true. Also apparently the glutes get all activated deep down there.

ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ForceFan27 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have never understood why guys like OP give a sh-t about what other people are doing in the gym. The other person may lack felxibility. They may lack strength. They may lack knowledge or understanding. I lacked all those things for the first few years...but I slowly educated myself so I would be better. Maybe those other people will do the same.

As for posters starting these stupid "lol, guess what I saw in the gym today" threads, maybe you should work on something you lack in the gym...focus.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ftwrestler View Post
    unless you are going to college
    No, an education merely complements real-life experience. Trainers with not training experience and only textbook knowledge rarely succeed.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

deadlifts with a freakin ez curl bar.
    I've done this before. Not as bad as it sounds.

Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    No, an education merely complements real-life experience. Trainers with not training experience and only textbook knowledge rarely succeed.
    that's why colleges have co-op/intership programs

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)

Wink

Originally Posted by ftwrestler View Post
    that's why colleges have co-op/intership programs
    years of experience is gathered through... years of experience.
    i'm hungry