mensoballer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Calorie Surplus or Calorie Deficit: Which?

Well, I just started lifting, and this is the first time I have looked online and read a lot information online. I have lifted in the past, but I have learned a lot of knowledge over the past couple days. I have my work out plan set but my main question is whether I have to bulk up a bit more then cut? Fat genes run in my family so I can gain weight pretty quickly. I'm 5'7 and I weigh 153 pounds, but I think my BFP is pretty high (you can check out my prof pic or other pictures I have in my profile) *Can anyone give me an estimate of what it is?*. MY arms and legs are pretty skinny as well; I just have a pudgy that is really hard for me to lose after I dropped 30 pounds when I was obese as a child.

Should I go into Calorie Surplus to have the ability to gain more muscle mass or is my weight fine right now? If I should increase, how much should I go up to? Should I quit cardio because my arms are pretty flimsy?

Because I think my BFP looks pretty high, should I just continue with my workout plan and go into Calorie Deficit now to get more leaner?

All help is appreciated! I'm just trying to learn all the techniques!

CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CharlieDP has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mensoballer View Post
    Well, I just started lifting, and this is the first time I have looked online and read a lot information online. I have lifted in the past, but I have learned a lot of knowledge over the past couple days. I have my work out plan set but my main question is whether I have to bulk up a bit more then cut? Fat genes run in my family so I can gain weight pretty quickly. I'm 5'7 and I weigh 153 pounds, but I think my BFP is pretty high (you can check out my prof pic or other pictures I have in my profile) *Can anyone give me an estimate of what it is?*. MY arms and legs are pretty skinny as well; I just have a pudgy that is really hard for me to lose after I dropped 30 pounds when I was obese as a child.

Should I go into Calorie Surplus to have the ability to gain more muscle mass or is my weight fine right now? If I should increase, how much should I go up to? Should I quit cardio because my arms are pretty flimsy?

Because I think my BFP looks pretty high, should I just continue with my workout plan and go into Calorie Deficit now to get more leaner?

All help is appreciated! I'm just trying to learn all the techniques!
    Don't drop the cardio, it'll keep your heart in good shape. Cardio won't make you small, a calorie deficit will. To be honest, I would go on a calorie surplus. I had roughly the same stats as you when I started, and I decided to cut. I regret it because I looked extremely skinny and week. I'm now going to bulk until I have a decent amount of LBM and then cut

Welcome to the forums, and good luck
    My SS Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=684336361

Originally Posted by CharlieDP View Post
    Don't drop the cardio, it'll keep your heart in good shape. Cardio won't make you small, a calorie deficit will. To be honest, I would go on a calorie surplus. I had roughly the same stats as you when I started, and I decided to cut. I regret it because I looked extremely skinny and week. I'm now going to bulk until I have a decent amount of LBM and then cut

Welcome to the forums, and good luck

Haha thanks. Wont the cardio be burning a lot of calories? I find it hard to be eating a lot of calories in general haha. But yeah, I guess Ill try to gain some muscle mass first then lean up.

DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DIFFER has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Haha thanks. Wont the cardio be burning a lot of calories? I find it hard to be eating a lot of calories in general haha. But yeah, I guess Ill try to gain some muscle mass first then lean up.
    OP you are not that fat, its just that you have no muscle, so bulk up bro, u wont regret it.

danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    BULK...Go on starting strength
    --BuLKinG--

Current stack:
    Source Natural's Life Force
    NOW Ultra Omega-3
    Controlled Lab's Green Magnitude (Electric Lemonade)
    Controlled Lab's White Flood (Electric Lemonade)

Originally Posted by DIFFER View Post
    OP you are not that fat, its just that you have no muscle, so bulk up bro, u wont regret it.
    Yeah, my motivation to get stronger is high right now and hopefully always will continue to be. I'm at 153 right now, how much should I go up to?

Originally Posted by danmanxx View Post
    BULK...Go on starting strength
    Well, this trainer at my gym gave me a similar beginner workout. 3 days a week Mon/wed/Fri
    Mon:
    Squats
    TBar row
    Standing calf raises

Wed:
    Bench press
    Dips
    Barbell curls
    Reverse Crunches

Fri:
    Deadlift
    Military press
    Seated calf raises
    Crunch

Generalized sets for all lifts would be 1x16-12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x5, 1x4, 1x10 (more or less).
    I found it to be similar to the SS workout in that places greater focus on the main muscle groups.
    I have just started this one and I seem to like it.
    Would going SS be a better idea? I looked at the Advanced Novice SS (I have lifted before in the past, not really a newbie)
    Last edited by mensoballer; 05-19-2011 at 08:54 PM.

amboosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amboosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amboosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amboosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amboosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amboosh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, my motivation to get stronger is high right now and hopefully always will continue to be. I'm at 153 right now, how much should I go up to?

Well, this trainer at my gym gave me a similar beginner workout. 3 days a week Mon/wed/Fri
    Mon:
    Squats
    TBar row
    Standing calf raises

Wed:
    Bench press
    Dips
    Barbell curls
    Reverse Crunches

Fri:
    Deadlift
    Military press
    Seated calf raises
    Crunch

Generalized sets for all lifts would be 1x16-12, 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x5, 1x4, 1x10 (more or less).
    I found it to be similar to the SS workout in that places greater focus on the main muscle groups.
    I have just started this one and I seem to like it.
    Would going SS be a better idea? I looked at the Advanced Novice SS (I have lifted before in the past, not really a newbie)
    How much can you bench squat and dead lift?

Starting strength can give you AMAZING strength gains.