Knights86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Need Advice - Starting a weight loss Journey

Hi Everyone... this is my first post here...

So Who am I?

I am 25 years old. I am a guy... I am roughly 6 ft 2 height wise...

Right now my weight is fluctuating between 245-250...

I have muscle...but I am not truly "Built". I have muscle but and sometimes it appears that I have a flat stomach... but when I sit down I have a gut... and I am not where I want to be weight wise.

I want to have a more tone, lean physique... and I don't have that. Through some reading it appears that I should be roughly 190-200 range...

I have a large frame style body, with broad shoulders... and look like a football player.. I would compare the body frame style to Tim Tebow.

Sure I can probably just lift and weight train like a beast and become muscle and big but I am not a football player and I want to lose weight.

So I need discipline in the foods I eat... and I need to scrap the weights and hit cardio much more.

Any advice is truly appreciateted. Thanks!
    Problem foods:

-mexican food
    -subs
    -ice cream
    -sweets
    -chips

NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Knights86 View Post
    Hi Everyone... this is my first post here...

Sure I can probably just lift and weight train like a beast and become muscle and big but I am not a football player and I want to lose weight.

No you can't.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of help here but you have A TON of reading to do as you go forward. Read the sticky fat loss for noobs

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129247741

This is where you start.
    The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness.

IIFYM!!
    IF!!!
    OH YEAH!!

I will do today what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Threatening Democracy gachase21's Avatar
    gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gachase21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A few tips if you want them-

1. count calories- use this to determine a calorie point thats good for you http://www.bmrcalculator.org/.Start with a 500 cal deficit- more than that is just not a long term way to live and your more likely to quit. then stick to that point for at least 3 weeks without changing, no matter the day by day results- your body goes through water and glycogen refill cycles that can confuse you into thinking you've gained or lost more than you have. When you change your calorie points, do it in 100 calorie increments, and stick to it for 3 weeks at least again..

2. accurately count calories- get a digital food scale at walmart- many people look at portions and guess and are usually Way off. Use a measuring cup for fluids. You will need to do this a while to really learn how much your eating. I know it sounds ocd, but it will help you change forever

4. Pick a macro point and plan you meals around it. I use, and many others 40%protein 40% carbs 20%fat- Basically the easiest way to do it is make sure you get your 1g of protien per lean body mass pound first- Then eat the rest carbs- It will just kinda fall in place. Many people choose to do low carb,which works, I just don't find it a life long sustainable way to live. And fyi, I've lost over 145lbs in less than a year eating 40% carbs

5.Don't worry about food timing- Eating at certian times of day, every hour, not before bed, or anything like that- eat when you want , just hit your calorie(and macros) every day

6. Exercise- First and foremost weight training- maintain or build muscle mass and it will increase your base calorie usage per day(not a whole lot like some claim though). Then about 30 min of cardio at least 3 times a week. The cardio believe it or not isn't act needed for weight loss, it does help create a bigger calorie deficit. However it is good for your heart and cardio vascular system so you should do it.

How I Did it
    exercise- at first i started walking every day for about a hour, when i got down to about 240 i started jogging about 4 days a week for 45 min. I lifted at gym 5 days a week, pretty much 1 leg day and 4 upper body days split. After about 3 months I got a personnel trainer to help me with my lifting routine, correctly do exercises, etc. He helped me for about 2 weeks so I was using good form etc. Now I run about 2 days a week 6 miles and lift 5 days a week chest/tri, shoulders legs, back/bi, I do abbs mixed in..If you can't get to gym get a set of dumbbells and a bench, you can do pretty much everything with it-read the exercise section for examples.

Diet - pretty much a 40% protein/40%carb/20fats macro with about a 600 cal deficit. I used my calorie counter app on Iphone. I was ocd about accuracy when counting calories also, used digital kitchen scale, carried portable digital scale with me also(seems silly, but idk). I actually manage Several restaurants , so ingredients were readily available(same reason I got fat).

And there were no such thing as "cheat days"- If i had a "cheat meal"- I still fit it in my calorie count and macro's for the day
    Intelligent individuals learn from every thing and every one; average people, from their experiences. The stupid already have all the answers.

Knights86 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thank you for the replies everyone -

Gachase thank you for the in-depth advice. I read your signature, your weight loss is incredible!

If I can go from 247 to 190 I will be supremely happy. I need to start tomorrow morning...

I will look into the digital food scale that sounds interesting...

Now I have some real questions... some may sound noobish - lol

First question -

What do you mean when you say deficit?

Do you mean that let's say the recommended calorie count to maintain my weight is 3000... that I shouild be aiming to try to eat no more than 2500 calories a day?

Second thing,

What is your best advice as far as staying away from problem foods and cravings? Seriously I need willpower coaching lol

lastly, unrelated to weight loss...

How do I find all my posts? I went to USER CP at the top of the forum and it doesn't list all my posts... what is the best way to track my posts , etc.?

Joining this forum was a starter for me, and I think will be important in my motivation to lose weight.

P.s. I will read all the sticky threads and start there as well.