ajt022884 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Abs tough to come by!

So I've been working out consistently for almost 1 yr now (lifting and cardio.) I've had issues with eating and such in the past but have managed to overcome some of these obstacles, with a result of gaining 20 lbs since October. I'm really impressed with my gains over these past 6 months ( successfully leg pressing 450lbs.!!) However I am unimpressed with my abs. I keep an extremely clean diet (brown rice, oatmeal, Ezekiel Bread, and sweet potatoes as carb sources and chicken breasts, protein powder (Isopure and ON Casein),eggs and egg whites, along with veggies. I MAY have an alcoholic beverage on the weekends (3 at most) but usually only one night a week. I thought this may be the culprit and so I cut alcohol from my diet for 2 weeks but with no change in my abs. I'm becoming frusterated because I lift 6x a week and do cardio as well along with a clean diet. What gives??

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ab definition is a matter of losing body fat. Drop the fat, the abs will come out, although, usually, they're the last thing to come out.

So start eating in a calorie deficit and maintain your workouts. They'll come out if you stick with it.
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I assume if you've been doing full body work, with your leg press being that amazing, you've probably got enough muscles to show abs once your body fat drops - it's all about diet then. I assume you've read http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921 to figure our what your calories should be to cut on, and then just get to it. It's not how clean the diet is, it's how many calories you eat (for your size/level of activity/fitness). If you want to lose body fat (which is how women get to see abs), you've got to cut calories. You can have alcohol if it fits in to your calorie limits for your cut (unless you're drinking in excess, which it doesn't sound like you are). Figure out your calories, what you're eating now, what you should be eating, etc.. You'll get to the abs. Good luck!
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

Well I am 5'7" and weigh about 125 lbs....I don't think fat is an issue?? I would be worried to start going in the opposite direction as I've struggled with Anorexia before. I can't imagine that my calories are too much typical food log on a daily basis looks lilke this:

1 scoop isopure

20 min cardio

Breakfast
    1/2 scoop isopure with 3/4 c egg whites 1/2 c oatmeal, 3 tbsp sliced almonds (protein pancakes) topped with 1/4 c strawberries, sugar free syrup and 1 tbsp almond butter
    1 whole egg

Snack
    1 scoop ON Casein and 12 PB&J sandwich on Ezekiel

Lunch
    chicken breast, 1/2 sweet potato or 1/2 c brown rice, veggies

pre-workout
    1/3c oatmeal with 1 scoop isopure

post workout
    1 scoop isopure

dinner
    chicken breast with 1/4c brown rice and veggies

before bed
    1 scoop Casein

inbetween I will snack on almonds (usually no more than a serving) and these protein muffins I make which consist of: 1.4c egg whites, pinch of canned pumpkin and 3 tbsp Isopure around 50- 70 calories a piece I would venture to say...will have like 6 or 7 a day since they are low in calories

Adding up I got between 2000-2500 roughly...seems like not too much for a person who works out 6x a week and does 20 min of cardio 5x a week
    ???
    Last edited by ajt022884; 05-16-2011 at 11:07 AM.

mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mausi79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ajt022884 View Post
    Well I am 5'7" and weigh about 125 lbs....I don't think fat is an issue?? I would be worried to start going in the opposite direction as I've struggled with Anorexia before. I can't imagine that my calories are too much typical food log on a daily basis looks lilke this:

1 scoop isopure

20 min cardio

Breakfast
    1/2 scoop isopure with 3/4 c egg whites 1/2 c oatmeal, 3 tbsp sliced almonds (protein pancakes) topped with 1/4 c strawberries, sugar free syrup and 1 tbsp almond butter
    1 whole egg

Snack
    1 scoop ON Casein and 12 PB&J sandwich on Ezekiel

Lunch
    chicken breast, 1/2 sweet potato or 1/2 c brown rice, veggies

pre-workout
    1/3c oatmeal with 1 scoop isopure

post workout
    1 scoop isopure

dinner
    chicken breast with 1/4c brown rice and veggies

before bed
    1 scoop Casein

inbetween I will snack on almonds (usually no more than a serving) and these protein muffins I make which consist of: 1.4c egg whites, pinch of canned pumpkin and 3 tbsp Isopure around 50- 70 calories a piece I would venture to say...will have like 6 or 7 a day since they are low in calories

Adding up I got between 2000-2500 roughly...seems like not too much for a person who works out 6x a week and does 20 min of cardio 5x a week
    ???
    Well i'm 5'8.5" and 118-119 and i'm no where near seeing abs. My bf is too high its between 22-23%. Growing up i was always a steady 110-112 eating whatever i wanted and i still didn't have abs

Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've got to have some muscle there in the first place, to diet down to. If you're very underweight then you need to eat and do deadlifts, and pull ups and squats - they all build abs. I also added size to my upper abs really well doing weighted crunches on a stability ball - just hold a dumbell on your chest.
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

I do deadlifts 2x a week and started to try and incorporate back 2x a week....ahhhh what gives?! I've got troubles with my lower stomach, not necessarily my upper portion. Below my belly button is what's giving me trouble. Ive heard someone say (with nice abs) they walk around holding their midsection tightly...haha I cant envision thinking about doing this all day when I have a million other things on my mind

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This has nothing to do with your abs, but why don't you eat more real food versus protein powders?? Good lord, that is ALOT, why so much? It leaves you less room for food that has better nutritional quality.

You don't have to be "fat" per se to not see abs. Some people can only have visible abs at very low bodyfat percentages, but it doesn't mean that if they can't see them that they are fat.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    This has nothing to do with your abs, but why don't you eat more real food versus protein powders?? Good lord, that is ALOT, why so much? It leaves you less room for food that has better nutritional quality.

You don't have to be "fat" per se to not see abs. Some people can only have visible abs at very low bodyfat percentages, but it doesn't mean that if they can't see them that they are fat.
    Did you mean a lot of food or a lot of protein powder? Possibly a reason I'm not seeing abs is because of bloating from sodium in powders? Anyone's thoughts on that? I do drink at least 8 glasses of water a day

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Did you mean a lot of food or a lot of protein powder? Possibly a reason I'm not seeing abs is because of bloating from sodium in powders? Anyone's thoughts on that? I do drink at least 8 glasses of water a day
    No, I am neither referring to too much food nor bloat. I mean, why are you eating so much protein powder versus real food? Food contains micronutrients that protein powder does not, and you are also eating a hella lot of protein powder for your weight. It was just a comment about your overall diet.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50) nakedbabytoes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do you have pics? Maybe seeing what your "problem area" looks like or your body proportions might help.

goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    With all that protein, you'd need a lot more water than that to feel good. But why are you taking so many of your meals from powder to begin with? That seems very strange... Is there a reason you're using supplements over real food?

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

Originally Posted by goalorientgirl View Post
    With all that protein, you'd need a lot more water than that to feel good. But why are you taking so many of your meals from powder to begin with? That seems very strange... Is there a reason you're using supplements over real food?
    I work long hours and I really hate to cook. I dont eat pork or fish and only beef on occassion. I dont like deli meat as it is too processed and the only other thing i can think of is canned chicken which has a high sodium content as well. i bake chicken for the week but is expensive.....

I work long hours and I really hate to cook. I dont eat pork or fish and only beef on occassion. I dont like deli meat as it is too processed and the only other thing i can think of is canned chicken which has a high sodium content as well. i bake chicken for the week but is expensive.....
    There is no way it's cheaper to buy all that protein powder than it would be to buy meat. There are lots of protein in certain grains, beans, seeds, eggs, cheese, tofu, etc. too. There are many non-powdered options that you can prepare really quickly and don't cost that much - I imagine you'd feel a lot better eating real food too.

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Hannah73Louise View Post
    You've got to have some muscle there in the first place, to diet down to. If you're very underweight then you need to eat and do deadlifts, and pull ups and squats - they all build abs. I also added size to my upper abs really well doing weighted crunches on a stability ball - just hold a dumbell on your chest.
    Your post doesn't indicate what issue you have with your abs. I assume you lack visible definition?

If that is the case, I totally second Hanna74Louise's post. You need to have the muscle for it to show.

If you are doing compound movements heavy enough or core taxing bodyweight work your core will get stronger and the muscle will show.

I have a good load of fat on my stomach - but I also have strong core - if I flex my core I can see some definition even through the fat.
    Last edited by hieronymous; 05-17-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Love others well, but love thyself the most

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well I am 5'7" and weigh about 125 lbs....I don't think fat is an issue?? I would be worried to start going in the opposite direction as I've struggled with Anorexia before.
    With those stats and your past, the issue is more muscle needed to support the look.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    With those stats and your past, the issue is more muscle needed to support the look.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this
    "Go big or go home"...

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    So continuing bulking?