waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 workouts for abs?

I'm gonna be doing bicycle crunches, crunches and hanging leg raises. How many sets and reps of each workout should i do?

Any help is much appreciated.

anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50) anna-maro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    3 sets each to failure....

Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000) Roidmonster55 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by anna-maro View Post
    3 sets each to failure....
    ^^What I do. With the crunches I have an 85lb hex dumbell (very uncomfortably) on my chest for my working set. With the bicycle kicks I have a 25lb plate behind my head.
    7 foot tall crew checking in

WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I know this is going to be ignored because I'm not saying "do exactly this and you won't have to think for yourself", but, there's no right answer to your question.

We don't know what kind of experience you have. Even then, it really doesn't matter if you do 3 sets, or 1 set, or 20 sets. Before long you'll come across something talking about some dude who built phenomenal abs doing one set of insanely heavy sit ups every week and that explains how anyone who wants decent ab development, should be doing the same; then, a month later, you'll come across another article the states, just as apparently logically, that some other dude does a thousand sit ups a day, and everyone should do exactly the same thing because due to X, Y and Z factors, no other training makes sense and you'll conclude the other guy from last month was probably on 'roids or genetically gifted anyway.

The truth is, it doesn't ****ing matter. Do some ab work that you find challenging, then do a little more of it and when you think you want to ****ing die because your abs are killing you, then you've done almost enough of whatever the **** exercise you're doing for your abs. Do whatever rep scheme you want, but stick to it. If you force your muscles to contract harder than they did last week, they will grow.

Also, what works for you today, or next week, won't be the best thing for you in a year or two. Your body will change, your diet will change, your life will change. You'll probably be able to workout more often, because your abs will recover faster; but hey, maybe it'll go the other way and the way you train then is better suited to training less often. Maybe your diet will be better, and you can work harder, for longer, and more often. Maybe you'll have different requirements in your weekly schedule that will allow you to (or deny you the ability to) work your core to a point where it's still fatigued the next day.

The short answer is, how many reps and sets you should be doing, and what exercises you should be doing, no one can give you a good answer to.
    Make your abs contract harder this week than they did last week, and work your ass off. That's all you have to do, and by doing that, you will put yourself in a better position to answer you own questions than anyone else will be.
    A man can only be beaten in two ways: if he gives up, or dies.

KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Wouldn't bother with leg raises, most people, including myself, do it in such away as to predominantly engage the hip flexors.

Stick with crunches and planks, if you really want to hit the lower abs do crunches with your feet up or reverse crunches....
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

"It is ok to fail, it is not ok to give up" - Ghandi

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you" - Neil Young

"Cíunas bothár cailín baínne" - Patrick Kavanagh

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KeeronMac View Post
    Wouldn't bother with leg raises, most people, including myself, do it in such away as to predominantly engage the hip flexors.

Stick with crunches and planks, if you really want to hit the lower abs do crunches with your feet up or reverse crunches....
    so because you can't do them right other people shouldn't bother?

most people should ask a trainer for help if they have such issues.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3 hard sets is good IMO. I can't really imagine pushing myself to failure on crunches though. That would facking hurt.

We did 8 minute abs a lot during track season during high school. That was good stuff.

KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeeronMac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jack_Lupino View Post
    so because you can't do them right other people shouldn't bother?

most people should ask a trainer for help if they have such issues.
    From my experience most of the trainers in any gym I've been to don't know their ass from their elbow.

I find when doing leg raises that it is hard to engage just the lower abs, because of the movement. OP asked about ab workouts after all. I just said that rev crunches are as effective. He, and you can do whatever exercise you want, I was just giving my opinion..

Some reading for you: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html
    Last edited by KeeronMac; 05-16-2011 at 06:57 AM.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    From my experience most of the trainers in any gym I've been to don't know their ass from their elbow.

I find when doing leg raises that it is hard to engage just the lower abs, because of the movement. OP asked about ab workouts after all. I just said that rev crunches are as effective. He, and you can do whatever exercise you want, I was just giving my opinion..

Some reading for you: http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Myths.html
    from my experience, many of my clients (typically young women) have come to me with at least some amount of lordosis. hanging leg raises have proven quite a useful exercise for them as it removes the pressure placed on the spine when performing abdominal exercises from a supine position.

though i will typically have most people perform planks as they are less complicated and not as difficult, leg raises provide an extra challenge and added fun for those slightly more advanced.

and here's a quote from that link...

"During the leg raise, the entire abdominal musculature isometrically contracts"
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

And here's another quote from that link...

"The combination of the local muscular fatigue, or a burning sensation from the isometrically contracted abdominal muscles, and from the working hip flexors produces fatigue in the pelvis area which we mistakenly interpret as the lower portion of the Rectus Abdominous being exercised. In movements where the Rectus Abdominous does Isotonically contract (contracts with movement), it flexes the spine by contracting the entire muscle from origin to insertion. The spine is not significantly flexed during the leg raise. Incidentally, both the spine and hip flexes during the full range op motion Sit Up and Leg Hip Raise."

So is gettin an iso contraction from leg raises or planks better?? I agree that leg raises can add variety and possibly be useful for problems with the back. The facts are there, leg raises work the hip flexors more than the lower abs, which is the main reason people do them??

I'm sure OP can make his own mind up...
    Last edited by KeeronMac; 05-16-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) waveymofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    damn, i didnt expect many people to post with great information so thanks to you all +reps to all of you. I'm gonna change the leg raises to planks since i always find doing the leg raises uncomfortable.

Thanks again for all the info.

And here's another quote from that link...

"The combination of the local muscular fatigue, or a burning sensation from the isometrically contracted abdominal muscles, and from the working hip flexors produces fatigue in the pelvis area which we mistakenly interpret as the lower portion of the Rectus Abdominous being exercised. In movements where the Rectus Abdominous does Isotonically contract (contracts with movement), it flexes the spine by contracting the entire muscle from origin to insertion. The spine is not significantly flexed during the leg raise. Incidentally, both the spine and hip flexes during the full range op motion Sit Up and Leg Hip Raise."

So is gettin an iso contraction from leg raises or planks better?? I agree that leg raises can add variety and possibly be useful for problems with the back. The facts are there, leg raises work the hip flexors more than the lower abs, which is the main reason people do them??

I'm sure OP can make his own mind up...

and who is "we" i don't make that mistake and encourage my people not make that mistake either. further, the spine CAN be significantly flexed by stronger individuals who are able to draw their knees into their chest to achieve and maintain a nice tuck (without swinging)

isometric contraction from leg raises can be better in a few senses because it involves more overall musculature. particularly when performing a free hanging or better yet a flexed arm hang + leg raise... or even a pull up!

who said anything about the main reason why anyone does anything other than you and your link? the OP never said anything about wanting to target lower abs and neither did i.

regardless, in individuals with strong hips, i believe it is possible to reach abdominal fatigue before hip fatigue with this exercise. in fact it is usually way more common that someone's grip gives out before anything else which is actually one of the main reasons i utilize it so much. in that i'm providing an exercise that also strengthens the grip... while strengthening the hips and abs.

as far as i'm concerned the more things i can cram into one thing when training on a schedule and in a crowded environment, the better.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

^^^Not the first bolded part.

Leg raises, where you pull your knees to your chest is a great ab exercise. Throw in some weighted cruches, some planks and don't forget your heavy squats and deads.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

Originally Posted by Jack_Lupino View Post
    in fact it is usually way more common that someone's grip gives out before anything else
    You still hatin

I agree about the grip tho. And I mereley assumed, wrongly or otherwise, OP clarify pls , that it was to be done mainly for lower abs. I gave my advice, I learned a few things, and OP made up his mind.

Thank you for sharing your point of view, I realise there is more going on than just working the hip flexors, might even do a few Hangin leg raises next time im at the gym!!

P.s Beachman, just a question, if you pulled your knees up, surely it is not a leg raise, more a knee raise?? :P But I agree, the movemnt is similar to a reverse curl, plus as Jack mentioned works out the grip too.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

I was just wondering what where could exercises for abs, i wasn't thinking of lower, middle or upper abs.

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    P.s Beachman, just a question, if you pulled your knees up, surely it is not a leg raise, more a knee raise?? :P But I agree, the movemnt is similar to a reverse curl, plus as Jack mentioned works out the grip too.
    My knees are part of my legs.
    My workout log ---> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133269973

are reverse crunches effective?