Trainwreckk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cutting Down After Bulking Up

In the very near future I've made the decision to do a modified version of the Bill Starr routine. I'm going to try my best to keep myself on a strict, high calorie diet to increase my strength as much as possible. My only concern is that I don't want to add a lot of fat with it, because as of right now I have a good 15lbs I'm willing to lose. After I bulk up a bit more, I plan on cutting. If anybody wants me to post the lifting routine I will do then I will. However could somebody point me in the right direction to losing 10-20lbs of fat?

Also will cutting down significantly reduce my lifts? That is the main thing that I'm worried about as of now.
    Last edited by Trainwreckk; 05-15-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelling error

dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dat1nonly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Trainwreckk View Post
    In the very near future I've made the decision to do a modified version of the Bill Starr routine. I'm going to try my best to keep myself on a strict, high calorie diet to increase my strength as much as possible. My only concern is that I don't want to add a lot of fat with it, because as of right now I have a good 15lbs I'm willing to lose. After I bulk up a bit more, I plan on cutting. If anybody wants me to post the lifting routine I will do then I will. However could somebody point me in the right direction to losing 10-20lbs of fat?

Also will cutting down signifigantly reduce my lifts? That is the main thing that I'm worried about as of now.
    It won't "singifgantly" reduce them but you May or may not experience a small decrease in what you could lift and number of reps. I honestly think it depends on the person.

Originally Posted by dat1nonly View Post
    It won't "singifgantly" reduce them but you May or may not experience a small decrease in what you could lift and number of reps. I honestly think it depends on the person.
    Heh, apologies for the spelling error. Do you or does anybody else know approximetely how long it would take to lose about 15lbs of pure body fat? Could I still lift weights on the side or would that be bad?

Registered User WorkoutFreak219's Avatar
    WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile

Heh, apologies for the spelling error. Do you or does anybody else know approximetely how long it would take to lose about 15lbs of pure body fat? Could I still lift weights on the side or would that be bad?
    How Would Lifting on the side be bad?

Dont Worry About the Number on the scale.
    Lower Your Body fat.

My Current Cut.
    Lifting 6x a week.
    Sneak in two 10m Sessions Of HIIT.
    Eating 2000 Calories.

You Can Lose Weight Just Lifting.
    Its all about Calories out vs in.
    Hitting your macros.

My Reason For Cardio. Its Good for your heart! Speeds up losing fat.
    15 Weeks out 12/26/13

Originally Posted by WorkoutFreak219 View Post
    How Would Lifting on the side be bad?

Dont Worry About the Number on the scale.
    Lower Your Body fat.

My Current Cut.
    Lifting 6x a week.
    Sneak in two 10m Sessions Of HIIT.
    Eating 2000 Calories.

You Can Lose Weight Just Lifting.
    Its all about Calories out vs in.
    Hitting your macros.

My Reason For Cardio. Its Good for your heart! Speeds up losing fat.
    Hmm yeah, I've attempted to calculate my BF% and gotten between 16-18% I would love to bring it below 10-12% though. I'll try to get better pics of myself up. I'm not even able to get to a gym for at least another week or so which really sucks for me.

Another question, how much bodyfat do you think I would add from doing a 8-10week cycle of adding mass/strength?

Registered User WorkoutFreak219's Avatar
    WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorkoutFreak219 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hmm yeah, I've attempted to calculate my BF% and gotten between 16-18% I would love to bring it below 10-12% though. I'll try to get better pics of myself up. I'm not even able to get to a gym for at least another week or so which really sucks for me.

Another question, how much bodyfat do you think I would add from doing a 8-10week cycle of adding mass/strength?
    Go Run This whole week then bro.
    10-12% Is Going to take Dedication&Consistency
    "Did you mean how much bodyfat you think you can take off from a 8-10 week cycle of adding mass/strength?

Its all about your body. Maybe drop it to 14% with Hard work
    15 Weeks out 12/26/13

BuffKenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Also will cutting down significantly reduce my lifts? That is the main thing that I'm worried about as of now.
    You are probably concerned about getting "little man" syndrome where after you bulk up, you are afraid of losing the size but you want to look cut. Avoid this thinking as it will keep you in bulk up phase forever.

Unfortunately you cannot lose 100% body fat while maintaining 100% existing muscle mass, otherwise there would be no cutting down phase you would just bulk up and then cut the calories to get rid of the fat and then your just a buff dude with no limitation of muscle mass. We would all be huge.

You can control the percentage of muscle / fat loss though by lifting with the same intensity and weight as when you stop bulking up, so key is you must maintain as best you can, the weight and intensity level after bulking up while reducing calorie intake to a point where you stop gaining muscle and fat and start losing fat and a little bit of muscle.

If you want to lose say 20 pounds, you have to sacrifice muscle loss in my opinion to achieve this there is just no way around it, you will definately lose a pound or two, maybe more of muscle if you lose 20 pounds. You won't look as big as you did when you bulked up, but seriously the cut will define your muscles where you will look "ripped".

The key though is to really tighten that diet rope and cram in as much protien and good carbs as you can just under your caloric intake plateu that keeps you from gaining muscle and fat. During bulking up, have a beer, slice of cake, whopper with cheese, who cares your bulking up it's ok to cheat a little during this phase but once you cut down, you have to be strict to maintain as much muscle as you can while you drop the fat.