SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

personal traning life long?

Is personal training good for a career? I've been reading a lot on saying it can be or that its bad. I want to be a trainer always had a passion for it but is it worth it?

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    if you can find a gym that pays a decent flat rate and offers benefits then yes. if not, its good for some extra cash

areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50) areese1803 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SolanoBeast View Post
    Is personal training good for a career? I've been reading a lot on saying it can be or that its bad. I want to be a trainer always had a passion for it but is it worth it?
    I have learned your career is what you make it. If you are truly passionate about it, the money will follow. If you do it for the wrong reasons (to meet hot "chics," work only 4 hours a day, get a free gym membership) you WILL NOT be successful. Training requires alot of time NOT getting paid and NOT actually training clients, especially when starting. It is frustrating breaking into it. Be prepared to NOT walk into a career where you are probably making even 20,000.00 your first year. Stay at it though and it can be very fulfilling.

SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SolanoBeast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Okay thanks for the advice. You see I am aiming for a master degree and I want to be a trainer. I would want over $90 grab a year. Do trainers even get a lot of money?

Originally Posted by areese1803 View Post
    I have learned your career is what you make it. If you are truly passionate about it, the money will follow. If you do it for the wrong reasons (to meet hot "chics," work only 4 hours a day, get a free gym membership) you WILL NOT be successful. Training requires alot of time NOT getting paid and NOT actually training clients, especially when starting. It is frustrating breaking into it. Be prepared to NOT walk into a career where you are probably making even 20,000.00 your first year. Stay at it though and it can be very fulfilling.

Okay yeah im doing it to see people reach their goals and I just love the gym environment. But if a trainers salary is less than $80 grab don't want to be one cause I would want to support a family. So knowing what type of income I would want is training still a good career for me?

Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I always find it funny that people ask this question on here. I know nothing about you or your personality so how could anyone tell you how much money to expect. It comes down to how aggressive you are to make things happen and not wait for them. Saying you want to make over 90,000 is great, but do you have what it takes to get yourself there? That I don't know. One thing is for sure if you do want to make good money you have to become an independent trainer you can't expect that kind of money at a corporate gym. So, if your serious about this ask yourself if you have the drive to make a successful business. If you do then you will have a very good career ahead of you.
    Goals in writing are dreams with deadlines.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Okay yeah im doing it to see people reach their goals and I just love the gym environment. But if a trainers salary is less than $80 grab don't want to be one cause I would want to support a family. So knowing what type of income I would want is training still a good career for me?
    nope

Personal Trainer lilmanthatcould's Avatar
    lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lilmanthatcould is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The most I've seen a trainer make in a corporate gym is around 65k a year. She has been industry for awhile though and works all the time, literally she will train 11-12 clients on some days.

My personal goal is to pull 30k this year

WeightTraining.com Pro jjsmooth15's Avatar
    jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100) jjsmooth15 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Trainers that take it a step further and open up their own gym and hire other trainers have potentially the best shot of making quite a bit of money.

NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverDie13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Aiming for a MA degree is great, but in no way does it replace actual experience. After earning my MA, working in the field, and then hiring others, I can say that experience will always win out over a degree.
    Earning potential in the fitness industry as a personal trainer can range from 20k-100k. The high end, is of course, reserved for a very few gifted networkers in large cities. Owning your own gym, running camps, working for a corporation and designing health plans and other requested services of the fitness industry would earn you more than being a personal trainer.
    Just keep on trucking though.
    Very few people who fully dedicate themselves to some end fail. The majority of those who dedicate their life to some purpose actually do achieve their goals.
    Best of luck.

pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I feel like the best combo is being a sports coach and personal training. Depending on the state you live in, coaching pays ok for something that is pretty fun. You can get clients this way as well. So maybe work at the gym during the day, coach a sport a season or two, and train people all summer. Good luck!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're 17. Whatever you're doing now, you could be doing something different every 10 years. I'm almost 40, PT is my third career, I am far from unusual in changing careers. Just do what you enjoy today. If you enjoy PT, you should do it. If you don't, you shouldn't. So you must find out what you enjoy.

Hire a PT to help you with your goals, this will give you a better idea of what's involved in PT. Yes, I know you don't need a trainer because you know so much and are so well-motivated, to which I answer: even Dan John has a PT, because he thinks it's worth it. If you don't think it's worth paying for personal training, then I would suggest that you won't be very successful as a trainer yourself.

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    PT depending on how you want to branch out will take a huge time commitment to get things running. Most people who are successful trainers dont make their living off training people in the long run, they did at one point but most have so many different doors opened for them that they have several different options to go through now (owning gym, consults, writing books, seminars ect...) of course they still PT on the side but a big source of their income does not actually come from training clients in a 1 on 1 setting anymore.

I would venture out into another career path that you're passionate about until you have established a name in your area and can perhaps open some doors to making Fitness a career.
    food for thought.

Thank you all for the advice . You guys are helping me a lot by thinking so I am very greatful.

pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000) pbracinginc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Being a young gun in this industry, I can definitely say that it is a lot harder than everyone makes it out to be. Training is a completely different job than anything out there. You really need to have a solid passion for it.

I work at a gym in a smallish area, along with 12 other trainers. Some of us make a good amount of money, some starve and need a second job to survive, for some this is their second job. You're earning is really what you want it to be. If you want to make 80k a year, you can. If you are comfortable with far less, you can do that as well.

Most of the numbers you see flashed around like "Make 60-90k a year!" are put out there to advertise for certifications. I'm not saying that earning that much is impossible, but most people will never see that kind of money. Not because of a lack of knowledge, just a simple lack of dedication and drive. No one in this industry will hand you anything...because they need it for themselves.

The best thing you have going for you is your age. You have so many years ahead of you to develop your skills, most of which living at home not paying rent.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Hire a PT to help you with your goals, this will give you a better idea of what's involved in PT. Yes, I know you don't need a trainer because you know so much and are so well-motivated, to which I answer: even Dan John has a PT, because he thinks it's worth it. If you don't think it's worth paying for personal training, then I would suggest that you won't be very successful as a trainer yourself.
    This is some sound advice. Hire a trainer, hire another one, and hire another one after that. Until you train with a great PT, you will never know what it takes. I have a trainer, and people always say to me "why do you have a trainer? You ARE a trainer!". I have one because it is the best thing you can do for yourself. An outside opinion, outside motivation, and outside knowledge are key to reaching your goals.
    ACE Certified Professional

pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10) pacificd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it is a service/sales focused industry...and unless you invent P90x or write articles...its will suck up a lot of your time. The gym I workout at has several trainers...the one's making the dough are there all the time. late nights,early mornings, and weekends. The beauty is that your work directly effects your income.

Truth is no one is going to hand you clients...but ANYTHING can be a career if you make it one!

fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pacificd View Post
    it is a service/sales focused industry...and unless you invent P90x or write articles...its will suck up a lot of your time. The gym I workout at has several trainers...the one's making the dough are there all the time. late nights,early mornings, and weekends. The beauty is that your work directly effects your income.

Truth is no one is going to hand you clients...but ANYTHING can be a career if you make it one!
    True. Its a major reason I work in corporate America and do this on the side, part-time. My family life requires me to be with my kids and wife as much as possible and be my kids role model. I see the same at my gym. Trainers working crazy hours morning and night...of course, they are all single as well.

Family priorities change your perspective on things where family becomes the thing you want more than anything else in life as you grow and get older.

Now, if corporate America kicks me to the curb, I have the ability to seemlessly make the transition to doing it full time, but I'll take a hit on the income side due to the lack of hours I'd be able to work, be a father and a husband.

I'd recommend getting your certification, keeping up with continueing education, try it out if you want, even if you have another job. You have a ton of life ahead of you. Follow your passion and work won't seem so tough when you love what you do. Strive to be the best and the money will follow. Making $80k a year is tough in any profession, so focus on what you love and the find ways to make more money by those things others have been writing about.

Good luck.
    AFAA Personal Fitness Trainer

Specialize in Sports Related Fitness and Weight Training
    Collegiate Athlete

Originally Posted by fast40 View Post
    True. Its a major reason I work in corporate America and do this on the side, part-time. My family life requires me to be with my kids and wife as much as possible and be my kids role model. I see the same at my gym. Trainers working crazy hours morning and night...of course, they are all single as well.

Family priorities change your perspective on things where family becomes the thing you want more than anything else in life as you grow and get older.

Now, if corporate America kicks me to the curb, I have the ability to seemlessly make the transition to doing it full time, but I'll take a hit on the income side due to the lack of hours I'd be able to work, be a father and a husband.

I'd recommend getting your certification, keeping up with continueing education, try it out if you want, even if you have another job. You have a ton of life ahead of you. Follow your passion and work won't seem so tough when you love what you do. Strive to be the best and the money will follow. Making $80k a year is tough in any profession, so focus on what you love and the find ways to make more money by those things others have been writing about.

Good luck.
    Thank you very much man helps a lot

sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sanman918 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There have been some good advice in the further posts. If you want to make 90K a year you are going to have to understand that PT is a service business. Passion and love for training is important but is not enough.

People spend all this time and money on certifications on anatonmy, nutrition, etc. but I'm sorry that doesnt really cut it. I've seen trainers who have little to no certification that they were the most successful because they understood the sales/marketing/business side of training.

Focus your time learning sales/marketing. Some gyms may care whether you are ACE or ISSA certified but clients very rarely know what those are or care. They just care that you can help them get what they want.
    Want Training Clients WITHOUT Selling? Click the link to our website www.McGillBuiltSystems.com and find out how you can have more clients than you will ever need. Grab lots of free stuff on our website www.McGillBuiltSystems.com now!

I think training is one of these things that you can start while you have the "other job"

Published Fitness Author Bradster101190's Avatar
    Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    -This is more to everyone. The OP does plan on getting a degree.-

Well consider this. You graduate high-school and get a certification. Awesome your now a " personal trainer" a few months out of high-school! Will you make 90k ? No.

But what proffesion can you make 90k in with such a short education?

Now if you open a training facility, get advanced certifications and really help people. Go to doctors offices and request them to send there clients to you. Go to physical therapists...go to local high-school/ colleges and get reputable.

Then yes you can make 90k a year.

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zero_Degreez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is it true that the 'older' personal trainers have the advantage over newly qualified younger ones?
    Alis
    Women's Weightlifting
    Site: www.womensweightlifting.co.uk
    Twitter: @alisthelioness

bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigbendawgg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With all the certifications out there, what is the best one? Are some better than others?

Thanks

Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000) Bradster101190 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by inhometrainer View Post
    great points..it's all the extra little things that will give you the greatest edge..Have a passion for the industry and you will do well http://www.inhometrainers.ca
    Thank you! And your right we need more trainers with real passion and willing to go the lengths to provide unrivaled customer service.

And about the certifications themselves, I like NASM personally because they have ways to continue advancing your education. They even have a program where you can get a masters in Science through there affiliated colleges easily.

And about the age...from my perspective its only a minor influence. People sometimes do look at a trainer older then you first but when you talk to them, but if you express a passion for fitness in the way you talk and show your potential client you know your stuff and are there for them age wont matter.

Originally Posted by pacificd View Post
    i think training is one of these things that you can start while you have the "other job"
    not out here. Mountainside and 24 both said id have to be ft to be hired

Originally Posted by bigbendawgg View Post
    with all the certifications out there, what is the best one? Are some better than others?

Thanks
    nsca-cscs>all others

Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    nsca-cscs>all others
    I guess your nsca?

Each certification has its own perks and advantages, my good friend did the ncsa cscs and I will probably add it to my list of certifications eventually.

But maybe you should have added its not even a general personal training certification its a specialized course mostly for people with degrees already who want to be a trainer for a team.

Plus with that alone most gyms wont hire you because you've Been taught to deal with teams, not the general population. ( Obese clients, clients with hypertension ect)My buddy went through that issue to.

Now I wonder if you even have it..or maybe you meant the ncsa cpt?
    Last edited by Bradster101190; 05-30-2011 at 04:16 PM.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Zero_Degreez View Post
    Is it true that the 'older' personal trainers have the advantage over newly qualified younger ones?
    Yes, to start with. It's been discussed recently here.

As well, men have an advantage over women. We live in a sexist and ageist society. As I said in the other thread, in both age and gender, the prejudice is slight, so that a trainer's behaviour and demonstrated knowledge can overcome it. But that's how they're starting out.

So you just have to be really good.