orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orionv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Program that won't make Gyno worse? Need to cut before surgery

I have pretty bad gyno (diagnosed by endocrinologist) that will require surgery to fix, but before surgery, I need to cut from about 190 to 160 pounds or so (I'm 5'11 190 ). I've already lost about 90 pounds total so I know how to lose weight, it's just I'm realizing now I should be more focused on preserving lean body mass and just losing fat while I'm really at the final stages of the fat loss, so I want to start weight training in a more focused way.

So I have 2 questions:

1) I've read in numerous places that training chest and pecs can often make Gyno worse because the muscles will push out the fat tissue. I obviously will want to train chest after the surgery, and I realize I'm not going to make things super worse unless my chest gets huge, but I feel like I should avoid doing certain chest centric exercises for now just to be on the safe side, since things already are pretty severe.

2) What does everyone think of home gym systems with cable weights that include a chest press, lat pulldown bar, etc? Like Marcy Diamond home gym, gold's home gym, weider, stuff like that, as opposed to a bench and barbell. I have dumbbells already. I don't live near a gym and have about 1k burning a hole in my pocket, so it's between a cable machine like this and just a standard olympic bench. I have no problem spending extra money for a decent home gym setup that will last a while, and I think a pulldown bar like this has could be pretty useful.

So, my current goal is preserving muscle while I cut on a deficit but also doing a routine in such a way that isn't risking making gyno worse (butterflies might be excluded for example?).

Any advice? Thanks!

bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50) bunchacrunch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wouldn't you want to "build muscle to push the chest fat out" if you are having surgery to remove this fat? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

jasonr54 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

bunchacrunch is right. How long until you're planning to have the surgery? You should be working those muscles to remove what fat you can from the area. If I remember correctly, true gynoclymastia is excessive buildup of breast tissue within the chest. It's never a good thing to ignore any part of your body when beginning a serious consistent workout regiment. Playing catchup is no fun and you dont wanna look un-proportionate. Unless you're not planning on having the surgery for quite some time, you wont be bulking the chest enough to make the appearance of your condition any worse. If anything focusing on toning exercises will help improve the look I think.
    As far as home gyms, I've never really been big on them. While some are decent, they are a lot of money compared to what you'd spend on a gym membership. If you're just starting, theres a TON of exercises to get your muscles started that don't require much equipment. And if you're worried about people at the gym noticing your condition, I wouldn't worry about it, nobody is going to make fun. Regardless of how out of shape someone is when they step foot in my gym, if they are there working there ass off, they've already got my respect.

If you want to make it less noticeable when you're at the gym, consider getting a shirt from Underworks. Just goto Amazon and search "Underworks-Microfiber-Compression".

And for some great examples on at home workouts that don't require equipment but will kick your ass (trust me, they're hard!). Browse through the vids, theres workouts for everything! Goto YouTube and search "BodyRock", the user "charliejames1975" is a great source, and not too bad to look at either.

DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by orionv View Post
    I have pretty bad gyno (diagnosed by endocrinologist) that will require surgery to fix, but before surgery, I need to cut from about 190 to 160 pounds or so (I'm 5'11 190 ). I've already lost about 90 pounds total so I know how to lose weight, it's just I'm realizing now I should be more focused on preserving lean body mass and just losing fat while I'm really at the final stages of the fat loss, so I want to start weight training in a more focused way.

So I have 2 questions:

1) I've read in numerous places that training chest and pecs can often make Gyno worse because the muscles will push out the fat tissue. I obviously will want to train chest after the surgery, and I realize I'm not going to make things super worse unless my chest gets huge, but I feel like I should avoid doing certain chest centric exercises for now just to be on the safe side, since things already are pretty severe.

2) What does everyone think of home gym systems with cable weights that include a chest press, lat pulldown bar, etc? Like Marcy Diamond home gym, gold's home gym, weider, stuff like that, as opposed to a bench and barbell. I have dumbbells already. I don't live near a gym and have about 1k burning a hole in my pocket, so it's between a cable machine like this and just a standard olympic bench. I have no problem spending extra money for a decent home gym setup that will last a while, and I think a pulldown bar like this has could be pretty useful.

So, my current goal is preserving muscle while I cut on a deficit but also doing a routine in such a way that isn't risking making gyno worse (butterflies might be excluded for example?).

Any advice? Thanks!
    Bodybuilding does not make more gland nor more fat. I work with many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia and they do have a common complaint: that as they build muscle, what sits on top of the muscle gets pushed out further. Yes, it is worse for what is sticking out, but in the Anatomy of Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia, the gland, fat and skin components remain the same. It is the muscle that is bigger forcing the other structures out.

If the body contouring involves significant weight loss, the muscle increase can help tighten loose skin. So avoiding pectoral muscle building can actually not be as helpful when that skin envelope needs some tightening with a loose skin component of the contour problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
    Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
    Michael Bermant, MD
    Board Certified
    American Board of Plastic Surgery
    http://www.PlasticSurgery4U.com

jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jasongind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wouldn't you jsut want to stick to a clean diet, lots of cardio, and high rep with lower weight workouts?

My roommate had gyno and had the surgery a while ago. He doesn't workout much and is probably around 25-26% bf (6'1" at 240lbs) and you can't tell he ever had it or the surgery.