derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10)

To Keep Bulking or Cut? Puzzled!

Hello anyone who decides to read this. Did SS program a couple years ago and gained some pretty good size, for what I was before anyway. I put on like 15lbs while bulking then, but my job screwed up my workouts so I gave it up for while and now I'm back at it. I'm 5'9", hovering around 185. I just ended my 2nd month on Starting Strength, and my lifts will be stalling within the next month I would say. Here lies my dilemma. I'm 185 but I had some fat around my abs and handles before i started working out again. So if I keep bulking that fat isn't going anywhere, right? I mean would it be better to cut some fat off my body thats in unwanted places, then do a gradual bulk? Or, just keep bulking, and say screw not having visible abs, then cut? I mean, I want to get bigger arms, chest, shoulders, etc, and when I look at my upper body areas I'm pleased with my progression, but then I look down at my stomach and get pissed. I know this sounds dumb but I'm not sure what to do, and am just looking for opinions or people whom might have had the same dilemma. I do Hanging Leg Raises after every workout to help out but I don't think thats going to help get rid of my belly fat.

derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10) derricklc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bump

rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickykurniawan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by derricklc View Post
    Hello anyone who decides to read this. Did SS program a couple years ago and gained some pretty good size, for what I was before anyway. I put on like 15lbs while bulking then, but my job screwed up my workouts so I gave it up for while and now I'm back at it. I'm 5'9", hovering around 185. I just ended my 2nd month on Starting Strength, and my lifts will be stalling within the next month I would say. Here lies my dilemma. I'm 185 but I had some fat around my abs and handles before i started working out again. So if I keep bulking that fat isn't going anywhere, right? I mean would it be better to cut some fat off my body thats in unwanted places, then do a gradual bulk? Or, just keep bulking, and say screw not having visible abs, then cut? I mean, I want to get bigger arms, chest, shoulders, etc, and when I look at my upper body areas I'm pleased with my progression, but then I look down at my stomach and get pissed. I know this sounds dumb but I'm not sure what to do, and am just looking for opinions or people whom might have had the same dilemma. I do Hanging Leg Raises after every workout to help out but I don't think thats going to help get rid of my belly fat.
    In the same position as you...

Well, i'm actually bulking first for more lean mass.. before i start cutting..
    Pain is temporary.. Pride is forever!

ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ilcrba has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Its all really up to how you want to do it. If you dont mind the little bit of fat / love handles that you have and care more about getting bigger then get big then cut. If you dont like the fat you have then cut it and then do a LEAN bulk. If you dont do a lean bulk you will most likely end up gaining the fat back. In my opinion I would bulk then cut. That way you do 2 cycles instead of a cut-bulk-cut cycle. But again its all on how you want to do it.

Keep doing ab workout. If you want you could even bump it up another exercise to make yourself feel good. But getting rid of that fat is going to consist of diet and cardio. And that will not go together when your trying to bulk. Its either a bulk or a cut.

Originally Posted by ilcrba View Post
    Its all really up to how you want to do it. If you dont mind the little bit of fat / love handles that you have and care more about getting bigger then get big then cut. If you dont like the fat you have then cut it and then do a LEAN bulk. If you dont do a lean bulk you will most likely end up gaining the fat back. In my opinion I would bulk then cut. That way you do 2 cycles instead of a cut-bulk-cut cycle. But again its all on how you want to do it.

Keep doing ab workout. If you want you could even bump it up another exercise to make yourself feel good. But getting rid of that fat is going to consist of diet and cardio. And that will not go together when your trying to bulk. Its either a bulk or a cut.
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just going to keep bulking and getting stronger and keep a shirt on, lol. One more question though is, when do you know its time for a cut. How long do people actually bulk before cutting?