Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

what muscle groups do you workout together and why?

I know this thread has probably been done before. I tried to find one but didn't, sorry. I am in the process of figuring out what my workout is going to be and what my goal is going to be. I want shape but I also want strength. What I want is all points of view on which ones, when, how often and why. The only thing I am almost sure of is that I will be working out 4 days a week. Cardio is not an issue I walk 2 miles to work and most days I spend my lunch hr either walking up and down 8 flights of stairs or on the nicer days getting away from work and walking.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kenjen View Post
    what muscle groups do you workout together?
    I don't train muscle groups, I train movements.

Tuesday: squat and deadlift
    Thursday: cleans and overhead pressing
    Saturday: events, i.e. yoke, farmers, log, stones, tire, sandbag,...

and why?
    Because that's how the human body is designed, ie to do movements. You can't truly isolate muscle groups anyway, attempts at trying just result in a bunch of worthless exercises ( IMHO ).
    Last edited by bigtallox; 05-11-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I train muscle groups once a week.

Day one is for quadriceps, leg biceps, and calves.

Day two is for chest, shoulders, and triceps. This is push day for the upper body muscles were their actions are mainly pushing movements. The pushing muscles are trained directly or assist in training the other pushing muscle groups. For example the bench press for the chest will engage the shoulders, in particular the anterior deltoid, and the triceps. I continue the process of training the shoulders and triceps in this workout. All three muscle groups will have week to recover for the next training session.

Day three is for back, traps, and biceps. This is the pull day for upper body muscles were their actions are mostly pulling movements. All three muscle groups will have week to recover for the next training session just as the muscle groups trained on the other days.

I will train abs once a week on any of the three days.

I normally train on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Cardio is not part of my training routine.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) kenjen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

thanks

for the info guys. Was hoping for more post but if only 2 then yours I will take. of what I have been reading on here you are 2 of the guys that know there stuff. Thanks

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Day 1...chest
    day 2...back
    day 3...shoulders and traps
    day 4...legs
    day 5...arms
    Friday and sat off.

I do this becuase it seems to be working for adding size.
    I am also wanting to add in an extra squat only day, becuase I want bigger wheels and a 405 squat for the comp.

badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50) badidea will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i push two days a week and pull two days a week. one heavy one less heavy. six sets of 5x5-8. keep it simple for legs. squat on heavy push leg press on less heavy. deadlift on heavy pull and weighted hyper extensions on less heavy. working my body as a unit has been the most practical for me. i always struggled with one body part per day as bigtallox suggested.

as an example here's what i did last night for less heavy push:

arnold press 5x6-8
    weighted dips 5x8
    incline (15%) flies 5x8
    front plate raises 4x8
    leg press 8x8
    100 push ups/100 sit ups. i know sit ups is a pull but i try to hit abs 3xweek.

seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10) seanpecor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This push/pull concept intrigues me. I will have to do some homework.

Here is my basic routine. I'm a n00b so take it with a grain of salt.

Monday - Biceps, Back
    Tuesday - Legs
    Wednesday - Walk funny to Italian restaurant for lunch
    Thursday - Chest, Abs
    Friday - Shoulders, Triceps

Why I work groups in this structure. I started out using just machines 7 months ago. I decided I lacked the discipline for free weights and until I graduated to another level of understanding, I'd stick with machines. So when I switched from a 3 to 4 day split in February, I built a spreadsheet listing all the machines at my gym and added fields for which muscle groups they worked primarily, and which secondarily (if any). Since my goal was to only work one pgroup out once a week, I sorted my list by primary group and then fine tuned by secondary group. That's basically how I arrived at my groupings.

This grouping works for me but of course I'm a n00b and it's subject to change at my next milestone coming up in a few months.

Sean

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I just changed up my split to get so that I am working on consistent days rather than floating as I was. I prefer the floating but it makes scheduling life outside the gym too complicated.

Sun - Chest/Back
    Mon - Legs
    Tue - off
    Wed - Delts/Triceps (3 sets of 3 reps Heavy Machine Bench also)
    Thur - Deads/Biceps (3 sets of 5 reps Heavy Leg Press & 3 sets of 10 reps Heavy Seated Rows also)
    Fri - off
    Sat - off

Over the summer I'll likely throw in some walking in the am but other than that I'm not a big cardio guy.
    Was friends with Methuselah

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Work each bodyart 2x/week, but with reduced sets. Never gotten satisfaction with once/week. Plus I like to train by days in the week, not different days each week. I followed this routine in my competing daze too, but with more sets.

Tue & Sat - torso
    AB exercise - 3x20
    Chest press (could be any one of various types of press) - 3x8
    Chest dips - 3x8
    Shoulder press - 3x8
    Wide grip upright row - 3x8
    Wide grip overhand pullups - 3x8
    Heavy row (DL every 3 weeks or so) - 3x8

Wed & Sun - limbs
    Calf raise - 3x8
    Squat or leg press - 3x8
    Leg extension - 3x8
    Close grip bench press - 3x8
    Lying tricep extensions - 3x8
    Barcell curls - 3x8
    Preacher curls - 3x8
    Forearm curls - 2-3x10

This routine includes hitting the pec-delt area only twice, not 4 times as many routines do, as consistent with advice I personally received from Bill Pearl (i.e. Train pecs and delts together); the close grips are, like all exercises, sometimes substituted. Back grows quickly and comes last but I stop after most tired. Legs grow fast so don't need too many sets; I'm not interested in competing again so I don't train hams formally.

If I need variation I change exercises or reps. If I want to add sets I can, always with a thought about how I'll feel at the end. I always stop at maximum pump.

The other change I'll sometimes make is doing a push-pull: chest, delts, tri's; legs, back, bi's.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    ..what muscle groups do you workout together and why?
    What I'm currently doing has little/no relation to what someone else should be doing. You need something tailored more closely to what you require.

... what my workout is going to be and what my goal is going to be.
    You should furthur-define your goal before you attempt to pick a program.

As a couple of suggestions, either of which would be perfect for a noob, are:

An excellent beginner bodybuilding program:
    *Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

An excellent beginner strength program:
    *Farley's SS writeup: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243

And while mass and strength aren't completely mutually-exclusive, it's better to go with a specific plan tailored to suit one goal or the other. The two paths are somewhat parallel, but you'll get where you want to go a little faster if you pick a specific path.

One thing I don't suggest is trying to piece together your own "routine." There's much more involved in making steady progress than just throwing together a few exercises. Both of the programs I linked are just that; programs, thoroughly-thought-out with all factors taken into consideration.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyd76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    mad cow 5x5 modified - went thru my first cycle of 13 weeks of this just deloaded and starting again.

monday-
    squat
    barbell rows
    bench
    weighted sit ups
    cardio = tire drags - modified sled pulls etc.

wednesday-
    light squat
    overhead press
    deadlifts
    body weight glute ham raises
    light and heavy farmers walks

friday-
    squat
    barbell rows
    bench
    reverse hypers
    weighted dips
    chin ups
    and light tire flips for cardio

tuesday and thursdays rest

saturday and sunday will walk about 2 to 3 miles with wife for fun

PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by flat6nut View Post
    Day 1...chest
    day 2...back
    day 3...shoulders and traps
    day 4...legs
    day 5...arms
    Friday and sat off.

I do this becuase it seems to be working for adding size.
    I am also wanting to add in an extra squat only day, becuase I want bigger wheels and a 405 squat for the comp.
    This.....my exact workout. I don't see how someone can do more than one body part per day, do enough sets and not spend 2 hours in the gym. I've always been a high volume trainee.
    United States Navy Veteran - GO NAVY!

ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParatroopVet will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My Split....

Monday: Chest & Triceps
    Tuesdays: Back & Biceps
    Wednesday: Legs
    Thursday: OFF
    Friday: Shoulders & Neck
    Saturday: OFF
    Sunday: OFF
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    “Those who would choose to make themselves sheep, will be eaten by the wolves”

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My split

Mon
    Back, traps and Bi's

Tuesday
    Chest and Triceps

Wed
    Off

Thur
    Quads and Hams

Friday
    Shoulders and Calves

I do back and bi's because the biceps are targeted when doing back.I include traps cause the traps are part of the back.

I do chest and tri's because the triceps are targeted when doing presses.

I do quads and Hams to save time

I do shoulders with Calves cause I have to find a place to put in calves.
    On the list for Bannukah

Where do we go now....... erikjh's Avatar
    erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000) erikjh is just really nice. (+1000)
    mine....

day 1 legs
    day 2 chest
    day 3 back
    day 4 shoulders
    day 5 arms

usualy 2 days off mixed in somewhere.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Boyd76 View Post
    mad cow 5x5 modified - went thru my first cycle of 13 weeks of this just deloaded and starting again.

monday-
    squat
    barbell rows
    bench
    weighted sit ups
    cardio = tire drags - modified sled pulls etc.

wednesday-
    light squat
    overhead press
    deadlifts
    body weight glute ham raises
    light and heavy farmers walks

friday-
    squat
    barbell rows
    bench
    reverse hypers
    weighted dips
    chin ups
    and light tire flips for cardio

tuesday and thursdays rest

saturday and sunday will walk about 2 to 3 miles with wife for fun
    I like your set up.

Reverse hypers helped my back, GHR are just awesome ( don't understand why more people don't do them)
    The sled is the best conditioning work out there as far as I'm concerned, and well...squats,deads, presses and rows go without saying.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheppe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Workout Day 1: Legs and Abs
    Rest Day
    Workout Day 2: Chest and Bi's
    Rest Day
    Workout Day 3: Back, Shoulders and Tri's
    Rest Day
    Rest Day

On my rest days I still try to be active... hiking, yard work, etc.

I do it this way because on chest and back days, the opposing/secondary muscle groups still get exercised even though it's their "off day".

That said, I'll do it this way for another 4-6 weeks and then I'll probably switch to a Legs/Shoulders, Chest/Back/Abs, Bi's/Tri's split. I try to keep my routine from being too much of a routine for too long so that I don't get conditioned for it and hit plateaus.
    "It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." -Arnold

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Sheppe View Post
    I try to keep my routine from being too much of a routine for too long so that I don't get conditioned for it and hit plateaus.
    Bodybuilding broscience, that's not what's going on. It's most likely because your program lacks progression. Repetition is what makes your body get efficient at the movement and that's how you become able to move more weight, if your program has a progression. If no progression, then yeah, it's by definition a plateau ( but not because you haven't switched it up ).

Good luck.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
    This push/pull concept intrigues me. I will have to do some homework.

Here is my basic routine. I'm a n00b so take it with a grain of salt.

Monday - Biceps, Back
    Tuesday - Legs
    Wednesday - Walk funny to Italian restaurant for lunch
    Thursday - Chest, Abs
    Friday - Shoulders, Triceps

Sean
    You should train back before biceps. The biceps assist in back exercises. I like the push pull approach because the smaller assisting muscles for the larger muscles get equal time to recover and I need to do less exercises to train the smaller muscles.

As you can see there is a variety of ways to train with good results. You just need to experiment and find one that works for you.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?

Where's my flip flops ? jayluk4600's Avatar
    jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jayluk4600 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I train each body part 1 time a week. Hit it hard and let it heal up good. But I dont do specific days I just go with the flow of life. (but I will admit I rarely miss a day)

day 1 - chest
    day 2 - back
    day 3 - bi
    day 4- shoulders ( I do ALOT of shoulder stuff so I do traps a diff day)
    day 5 - tris and traps (love traps)
    day 6 - legs - lower back - calves

Prob looks kinda retarded to some but works well for me I also try to get at least 15-20 minute of cardio every other workout keeping my heart rate about mid 150 ish. Also if I miss a day..well so what I just pick up were I left off the next day. I dont compete nor do I intend to I just like to be big, healthy and have muscles so this routine works for me.

But I am always changing stuff too keeping my body in WTF mode so I feel the once a week thing works good due to the intensity I try to bring.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Monday: Chest & Triceps - Triceps are worked during Chest compounding exercises, so I keep my overall Triceps sets to about 4 to 5 good working sets.

Tuesday: Back & Biceps - Biceps are worked during Back compounding exercises, so I keep my overall Biceps sets to about 6 or 7 good working sets that include 2 or 3 sets of Hammers, either with DBs or cable.

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday: Shoulders - Triceps are worked secondary, so had plenty of time to recoup from Monday and plenty of time to rest before Monday.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Off from weights. Might do some cardio

Why? Have tried many splits over the years and this one has given me the best results.

Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Forgettoned has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Day 1 - Back and Biceps + 20 min of cardio
    Day 2 - Legs + 20 min of cardio
    Day 3 - Chest, Shoulders and Triceps + 20 min of cardio
    Day 4 - 1 hour of cardio
    Day off
    Repeat
    Modesty is the most attractive thing on a woman. With that said, don't expect bikini pics of me plastered all over the Internet any time soon :)

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know this thread has probably been done before. I tried to find one but didn't, sorry. I am in the process of figuring out what my workout is going to be and what my goal is going to be. I want shape but I also want strength. What I want is all points of view on which ones, when, how often and why. The only thing I am almost sure of is that I will be working out 4 days a week. Cardio is not an issue I walk 2 miles to work and most days I spend my lunch hr either walking up and down 8 flights of stairs or on the nicer days getting away from work and walking.
    on which ones, when, how often and why.
    biceps and tris, they are close
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Push/Pull Routine here....

Day One: Heavy chest and light Tris
    Day Two : Heavy Deads, lighter back
    Day Three: Cardio (If I get my lazy azz out of bed)
    Day Four: Light chest, heavy tris with some shoulder presses mixed in
    Day Five: Light squats (I rotate Day Two and Day Five, one week heavy squats, light deads, next week light squats heavy deads) and heavy back.
    Day six and seven, eat and rest.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Bodybuilding broscience, that's not what's going on. It's most likely because your program lacks progression. Repetition is what makes your body get efficient at the movement and that's how you become able to move more weight, if your program has a progression. If no progression, then yeah, it's by definition a plateau ( but not because you haven't switched it up ).

Good luck.
    Ox is spot in here....I lacked progression for years, and made little in strength gains. Switched it up (thanks Bill Starr) and have maed some great increases.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use push/pull. Each muscle 2x a week. Large muscles first, small muscles last. 4 w/o's a week. Cycle up reps and poundage every 5-6 wks. Been working great for me the last couple years. Diet is the game breaker - needs to be spot on.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Monday - Chest and Triceps (upper)
    Tuesday - Quads, Calves and Abs (lower)
    Wednesday - Shoulders and Traps (upper)
    Thursday - Hams, Calves and Abs (lower
    Friday - Back and Biceps (upper)

I run my split this way so that I never hit upper body 2 days in a row. To each their own but I can never understand why someone runs 2-3 upper body days in a row then legs. I get extra recovery time by strategically placing lower body in between.
    David

SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10) SwissTony is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Never understood why people do chest & tri's......your tri's are already being hit from most chest exercises....better to work another muscle group, and target tri's specifically another day.

Tho, would be happy to hear a good reasoning for working both on the same day.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SwissTony View Post
    Never understood why people do chest & tri's......your tri's are already being hit from most chest exercises....better to work another muscle group, and target tri's specifically another day.

I do Tri's with chest, because just as you stated, Tri's get hit when doing chest and also when doing shoulders (Mil Press, DB press) so in essence if you do shoulders on one day chest on another and then triceps on another you are hitting the triceps 3 x in one week. Once directly and twice indirectly. IMO the tricep is a small muscle and does not need that much stimulation to grow.
    On the list for Bannukah

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SwissTony View Post

Yes, they do get hit indirectly BUT they don't get "worked".
    I am a firm believer in warming up before every exercise. So indirectly hitting them warms them up. I have in the past switched to chest/biceps Back/triceps. I noticed that my elbows and joints hurt when I did it that whey. So I have been doing the chest/triceps again with less discomfort. However, I am thinking about making a new split and doing bi's and tri's on thier own day. It's hard to break old habbits but I hope to change things up this week. After a few weeks we'll see how things go/feel.
    Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato