amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trouble with a few exercises

Looking for advice on a few exercises I'm having trouble with.

4 months ago, I switched to a slightly modified version of the HIT program as shown here --http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hitworkout.htm). I eliminated dumbbell pullovers as they cause pain and popping in my right shoulder (so do shoulder presses, but not as bad).

In 9 months, I've made it half way UP to my goal body weight of 175lbs. Over the last 4 months, I've made good gains (20-30%) on most of my exercises. However, I'm having trouble making any gains at all with leg curls, biceps curls, and bench presses.

I've tried dropping weight and going higher reps for a week or so, but when I go back up, I'm still stuck at the same weight. Been stuck for a couple months now. For benches, the only way I can complete this set is to do 5-6 reps, rest and then finish up the set. A couple months ago, I was curling 75lbs, then I crashed all the way down to 65lbs --haven't been able to get back up again. These exercises are frustrating the heck out of me!

Should I try dumbbell exercises instead? Is there another good hamstring exercise I can do? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Age 37
    Ht 5'8'
    wt 160 lbs

Routine: Mon, Weds, Fri (with the most recent weights)
    Squats 1 X 10 reps (170lbs)
    Leg Extensions 1 X 10 reps (180lbs)
    Leg Curls 1 X 10 reps (95lbs)
    Bench Press 1 X 5 rest, then 5 more reps (150lbs)
    Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 1 X 10 reps (80lbs)
    Seated Rows 1 X 10 reps (160lbs)
    Weighted Chest Dips 1 X 10 reps (+20lbs)
    Barbell Bicep Curls 1 X 5 rest, then 5 reps (70lbs)
    Triceps Pressdowns 1 X 10 reps (60lbs)
    Weight-Assisted Pullups 1 X 10 reps (60lb assist)
    Weighted Triceps Dips 1 X 10 reps (+20lbs)
    Standing Calf Raises 1 X 15 reps (160lbs)
    Abs - 1 X 15 reps

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    hard for me to comment on HIT except to say that 1 set per exercise cold sucks

eventually you simply stop gaining because in effect you are trying to max every week on that one set

IMO you need to build some volume to have a strength "base"

there is a reason why no serious athlete uses HIT
    "Humility comes before honor"

thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50) thruxton will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by amoreno View Post
    Looking for advice on a few exercises I'm having trouble with.

In 9 months, I've made it half way UP to my goal body weight of 175lbs. Over the last 4 months, I've made good gains (20-30%) on most of my exercises.
    it's not clear to me what your goal is. hypertrophy or strength? not that you can't get strong with size gains, it's just that there is no way you are going to get strong with what you are doing.

i think it's been 4 months and you are hitting stick points. time to pick a new routine. there are a bunch. good luck!

jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000) jocularric is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First of all welcome aboard amoreno.

For me I've some of my best strength improvements focusing on lower reps/multiple sets--even so far as doing single reps. That meant lifting heavy--80% of my max or heavier. I agree with John--one set cold sucks.

A bench routine that works for me is one based on an article "Increasing Your Bench--The Easy Way" by Curtis Schultz.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz39.htm
    Don't let the title fool you, there's a lot of work involved.

For your leg curls I've would swap them out with few sets of Straight Leg Deadlifts. For my hams they are more effective.

For your curls I would add another heavy exercise or two to make sure I was hitting the Brachii, Brachialis, and the Brachioradialis. Each muscle is going to play a part in the strength and size of your Biceps.
    You can play the game or live the adventure.

Goals--To be able to do the following exercises:
    Front Lever Pull-ups
    Planche Push-ups
    Muscle Ups
    Human Flag