Thread: What to do?

Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What to do?

So I've been lifting on and off for a few years, but always end up stopping for one reason or another. Most recently I did SS for 4 months, made my best strength gains yet and then got hit with mono in August. Couldn't lift until about November, and then when I did I ended up injuring my lower back because I had unknowingly developed APT and extremely tight/inflexible hip flexors from basically doing nothing while I was ill. Doc didn't think it was a herniated disc, and it's gotten much better since then, so I want to start lifting again.

My goals are these, in this order:
    1) DL: 375, Squat: 300, Bench: 225, Pendlay: 185, OHP: 150
    2) Hypertrophy

So I want to do SS until I get to those numbers, and then use those strength gains to maximize a hypertrophy oriented program.

The problem is I still have APT and the tight hip flexors, so I literally cannot even squat to parallel (never mind ATG like I want to) without rounding my lower back. I can do deadlifts, pendlay's, etc. with proper form, but I'm guessing with more weight the inflexibility/APT might have more of a negative effect. Plus I don't want to end up with a muscle imbalance.

Just started stretching and foam rolling daily to fix the APT and inflexibility, but don't know how long it will take to cure. In the mean time, what should I do? I was considering making a program to focus on muscles I need to strengthen to fix the APT (glutes, hammys, abs, etc), or possibly doing All Pro's squatting shallow - then jumping back on SS once my flexibility is proper.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Rapishorrid; 04-04-2013 at 05:37 PM.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Rapishorrid View Post
    So I've been lifting on and off for a few years, but always end up stopping for one reason or another. Most recently I did SS for 4 months, made my best strength gains yet and then got hit with mono in August. Couldn't lift until about November, and then when I did I ended up injuring my lower back because I had unknowingly developed ATP and extremely tight/inflexible hip flexors from basically doing nothing while I was ill. Doc didn't think it was a herniated disc, and it's gotten much better since then, so I want to start lifting again.

My goals are these, in this order:
    1) DL: 375, Squat: 300, Bench: 225, Pendlay: 185, OHP: 150
    2) Hypertrophy

So I want to do SS until I get to those numbers, and then use those strength gains to maximize a hypertrophy oriented program.

The problem is I still have ATP and the tight hip flexors, so I literally cannot even squat to parallel (never mind ATG like I want to) without rounding my lower back. I can do deadlifts, pendlay's, etc. with proper form, but I'm guessing with more weight the inflexibility/ATP might have more of a negative effect. Plus I don't want to end up with a muscle imbalance.

Just started stretching and foam rolling daily to fix the ATP and inflexibility, but don't know how long it will take to cure. In the mean time, what should I do? I was considering making a program to focus on muscles I need to strengthen to fix the ATP (glutes, hammys, abs, etc), or possibly doing All Pro's squatting shallow - then jumping back on SS once my flexibility is proper.

Suggestions?
    What is this "ATP" you keep referencing?

What is your end goal? If you want to look good, follow a program oriented towards looks. That would not be SS.

Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rapishorrid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    What is this "ATP" you keep referencing?

What is your end goal? If you want to look good, follow a program oriented towards looks. That would not be SS.
    Ha damn I meant to say APT, which is Anterior Pelvic Tilt.

My end goal is looks AND strength. Like I said, first I want to get strong through SS, and then use that strength to make size gains with a hypertrophy program.

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

My end goal is looks AND strength. Like I said, first I want to get strong through SS, and then use that strength to make size gains with a hypertrophy program.
    Do you consider a 300 lb squat and 225 lb bench press to be strong?

Do you consider a 300 lb squat and 225 lb bench press to be strong?
    Yes.

Yes.
    Then I don't see a need to run a strength program.

envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100) envier is not very well liked. (-100)

U can have both size and strength in one program check this out
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler109.htm

Then I don't see a need to run a strength program.
    Like I said before, my goal is to run SS until I can lift the numbers I mentioned, and then switch to a hypertrophy program from there.

With that in mind, I am not asking about whether or not I should do SS. This thread is about the fact that I have APT and very tight hip flexors, meaning that I cannot do SS completely right now. I am asking what I should do in the meantime, as I work back up to normal flexibility and correct my APT.

Like I said before, my goal is to run SS until I can lift the numbers I mentioned, and then switch to a hypertrophy program from there.

With that in mind, I am not asking about whether or not I should do SS. This thread is about the fact that I have APT and very tight hip flexors, meaning that I cannot do SS completely right now. I am asking what I should do in the meantime, as I work back up to normal flexibility and correct my APT.
    You are sure you literally cannot squat to depth without rounding your back?

What are you doing to improve flexibility? That's all I'd be worried about right now, is improving flexibility

You are sure you literally cannot squat to depth without rounding your back?

What are you doing to improve flexibility? That's all I'd be worried about right now, is improving flexibility
    Yup, that's what months of doing nothing with mono will do to ya.

As of now I'm following this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=130876763
    Which is basically daily static stretching and foam rolling.

I also think squatting as deep as I safely can will provide a good stretch, and I can do some glute and hamstring work to help.