DustinS1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

T or F? You cannot, under any circumstance gain muscle on caloric deficit.

So here's the question. True or False.

If I need 'x' amount of calories a day and eat 'x-500' calories a day with 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and a mix of other healthy nutrition caloric intake AND I train smart and hard and keep to a dedicated, consistent workout schedule - Can I gain muscle and also lose fat at the same time?

I read this online from Scooby's website. scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Thanks.

I'd rate myself between beginner in terms of my current fitness level. I also weigh 210 lbs and have about 160 lbs of LBM.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    False

digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    False
    this^

SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Mrpb likes to post some study showing that it's possible to build muscle in a deficit

I definitely agree with it... I've actually gone up in strength this past cut. Whether that's due more to neurological adaption or actual muscle gain, it's hard to tell, but I've definitely progressed on my lifts.

DustinS1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SouthDakotaBrah View Post
    Mrpb likes to post some study showing that it's possible to build muscle in a deficit

I definitely agree with it... I've actually gone up in strength this past cut. Whether that's due more to neurological adaption or actual muscle gain, it's hard to tell, but I've definitely progressed on my lifts.
    Right. I'm aware that STRENGTH can increase while fat decreases but that's not the same as muscle growth.

And I think it would be fair to say that muscle growth would increase faster if there is a caloric surplus. But then you'd have to cut after it anyway.

So I'm curious if that time you spend cutting...why not just put on a little muscle and lose a little fat without having to go through 'bulk' 'cut' phases?

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you're conservative enough with your bulks then you should be able to cut fairly quickly.

You should also realize that absolute statements, such as your OP are basically never true.

Gaining MUSCLE while losing fat (in a deficit):
    1. overweight noob (maybe even a lucky non obese noob)
    2. drugs
    3. someone coming back off a long layoff that left them detrained